Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 am

PFM18 wrote:
Noah wrote:Then Broly is just a strong dude, but that never ever had destroyed any Galaxy like in Movie 8 where King Kai stated he did it
This Broly obviously could destroy a galaxy easily(or for that matter the Universe) but it is kind of a pointless scene for him to get pissed off at a random galaxy and blow it up.

Considering that the even the SSJ Vegeta that Broly initially charges makes BoG SSG Goku look like a pathetic bitch, being able to destroy the Universe isn't even noteworthy at this point.
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: You do know that busting Galaxies is rather unimpressive at this point and universe busting was a thing in BoG right?
pretty sure the universe busting line was super exclusive and not in the original movie, but I know where you are coming from
It doesn't matter if it was super exclusive. That's a distinction that doesn't really mean anything. Especially since this is a Dragon Ball Super Movie.
I disagree given the difference in how the Super anime and the Z movie presented specific details, such as Tarble being a thing or not, but these are more specific details as opposed to overarching issues.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:55 am

TheOne wrote:Why would that even be an issue?
Dragon Ball is a kids show but it does not mean everything about its content should be treated as such. I'd like just one thing to be taken seriously. And so far the destruction of planet Vegeta was like that.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Wait, so Freeza is supposed be a child in those flashbacks too?! Four destinies collide?! :?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:11 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Wait, so Freeza is supposed to be a child in those flashbacks too?! Four destinies collide?!:?
I like it better with Frieza being visibly younger because in the Bardock special he looked exactly the same as he did in the Namek arc which has many, many years in between the two events. In my mind, at the time I thought he was part of a species that never gets old or something making him immortal in the same sense as master Roshi. I´m really glad they fixed this in the new movie.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:27 pm

The idea that Freeza might’ve been an adolescent when he wiped out the Saiyans is something I can’t really get behind.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote:The idea that Freeza might’ve been an adolescent when he wiped out the Saiyans is something I can’t really get behind.
Why not?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Wait, so Freeza is supposed be a child in those flashbacks too?! Four destinies collide?! :?
I think they mean a young Freeza not child because well he's talking like normal and making decisions. We see King Cold tell the Saiyans they work for Freeza now so presumably the flashback will have time jumps as I am sure Freeza would have at least been in charge of the Saiyans for a few years at least.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So what planet could the background of this be? Doesn't look like Earth or Vegeta. Maybe Vampa didn't they said it had some significance?
Either Vampa at night or its just some baackground with a tint of green since its Broly and isn’t an actual place in the movie

Originally that's what I thought it wasn't anything but then realised that the previous two just had a generic backgrounds nothing like this so thinking it could be something from the movie then. Definitely feels atmospheric either way!

Oh and we got the European listings unfortunately still blanked.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The idea that Freeza might’ve been an adolescent when he wiped out the Saiyans is something I can’t really get behind.
Why not?
It’s just a strange thing to establish this many years after the fact. Plus, I don’t like how it seems to emphasize the fact that Freeza is a prince, rather than some tyranical businessman. Frankly, the reason I’ve always had a problem with King Cold is because I don’t like the implication that Freeza is royalty who is simply taking part in the family business. I prefer the idea of Freeza being a self made tyrant. Mind you, this is also why I took issue with the idea that Freeza was just born being insanely powerful, and that he never trained a day in his life prior to RF. I get it, Freeza is a snobbish aristocrat, but I prefer to imagine that he became that way on his own, rather than because of who is father is. I feel as though it just sort of diminishes the menacing nature of the character.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Why not?
It takes away from his decision, one. He did it on a childish whim, not because he was aware of the dangers the Saiyans posed and was really terrified deep inside in spite of his self-confident demeanor. It diminishes the importance of his empire, two, if Cold just hands him the whole thing and Freeza is so nonchallant about it that he blows up a planet with some of his best warriors.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:29 pm

In before there's another retcon and Beerus was a child when he told child Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta. Five destinies collide?! :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Grimlock wrote:
TheOne wrote:Why would that even be an issue?
Dragon Ball is a kids show but it does not mean everything about its content should be treated as such. I'd like just one thing to be taken seriously. And so far the destruction of planet Vegeta was like that.
What part of “giving your child an entire planet and having the opportunity to enslave/kill people as you please” says kids show? That’s some dark stuff. Ridiculous that you get bent out of shape about something that makes the whole Saiyan race enslavement situation messed up.
How i predict the tournament will end:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Why not?
It takes away from his decision, one. He did it on a childish whim, not because he was aware of the dangers the Saiyans posed and was really terrified deep inside in spite of his self-confident demeanor. It diminishes the importance of his empire, two, if Cold just hands him the whole thing and Freeza is so nonchallant about it that he blows up a planet with some of his best warriors.

Not to mention it also makes me question Frost and his family. Frost seemed to be the same age or even younger than Frieza. What's his backstory, did he also not train? etc. It's all just kinda weird, inconsistent, and not fitting together well.

Just kinda a recap here

Original pre- BoG version:
Frieza fears the arrive of a Super Saiyan and destroys the entire race due to that fear.
Ironically Vegeta believed himself to be that while his father attempted to kill the actual LSSJ.
Goku a low class warrior becomes a SSJ and ultimately defeats Frieza after his father years earlier stood up to Frieza.

Conclusion. All of this could have been avoided by letting Broly live but would likely resulted in the destruction of the universe.

Modern Post-BoG version:
Beerus is too lazy to do his job and tells a young Frieza to do it, not necessarily because Frieza is worried about the Saiyans.
Bardock apparently finds out and sends his son to earth to save him.
King Vegeta banishes(?) exiles (?) Broly and Paragus?
Missing lots of inform and would need the movie to give a full view.

Conclusion. According to RoF the whole thing is because Beerus was too lazy to do his job and got ticked off over getting the 2nd most comfortable pillow.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Tickets are up for Reading Cinemas in Australia.

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Movie/D ... uper-Broly

I already picked up a couple of tickets for the 24th, if you sign up for Cinebuzz rewards on the spot the tickets are only $10.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Why not?
It has often been assumed by the fandom for decades that Freeza's age was in the centuries. Making him around the same age as Goku kinda weakens the allure.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 pm

TheMikado wrote:Beerus is too lazy to do his job and tells a young Frieza to do it, not necessarily because Frieza is worried about the Saiyans.
I think we'll see in this movie that this isn't how this actually transpired. Freeza still did it on his own whim.
Not to mention it also makes me question Frost and his family. Frost seemed to be the same age or even younger than Frieza. What's his backstory, did he also not train? etc. It's all just kinda weird, inconsistent, and not fitting together well.
What? How does this change the consistency with Frost? It certainly seems he did train because he's literally millions of times stronger than Namek Freeza as far as we can tell.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Grimlock wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:Planet Vegeta was a birthday gift from Cold to young Freeza :lol:
Such an important event reduced to a mere and literally child's play. :|
That's actually in character and fits the series lore just fine. King Cold was the real boss of U7, and may have not had the same fear of the saiyans that Freeza had (given his reaction to SSJ Trunks).

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:03 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Why not?
It takes away from his decision, one. He did it on a childish whim, not because he was aware of the dangers the Saiyans posed and was really terrified deep inside in spite of his self-confident demeanor. It diminishes the importance of his empire, two, if Cold just hands him the whole thing and Freeza is so nonchalant about it that he blows up a planet with some of his best warriors.

Just kinda a recap here

Original pre- BoG version:
Frieza fears the arrival of a Super Saiyan and destroys the entire race due to that fear.
Ironically Vegeta believed himself to be that while his father attempted to kill the actual LSSJ.
Goku a low-class warrior becomes a SSJ and ultimately defeats Frieza after his father years earlier stood up to Frieza.

Conclusion. All of this could have been avoided by letting Broly live but would likely result in the destruction of the universe.

Modern Post-BoG version:
Beerus is too lazy to do his job and tells a young Frieza to do it, not necessarily because Frieza is worried about the Saiyans.
Bardock apparently finds out and sends his son to earth to save him.
King Vegeta banishes(?) exiles (?) Broly and Paragus?
Missing lots of information and would need the movie to give a full view.

Conclusion. According to RoF, the whole thing is because Beerus was too lazy to do his job and got ticked off over getting the 2nd most comfortable pillow.
When is it stated, or implied that beerus was the only reason planet Vegeta was destroyed? All that was said was that beerus told him to do it. Nothing more. It is entirely possible, not to mention more than likely that Frieza was already going to destroy the planet anyway, but beerus telling him to do it was just an added bonus.
The idea that Freeza might’ve been an adolescent when he wiped out the Saiyans is something I can’t really get behind.

Why not?

It has often been assumed by the fandom for decades that Freeza's age was in the centuries. Making him around the same age as Goku kinda weakens the allure.
Not sure why you used that word to describe Frieza, but regardless it doesn't really matter if this movie ruins your headcanon or not.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:25 pm

PFM18 wrote:I think we'll see in this movie that this isn't how this actually transpired. Freeza still did it on his own whim.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: When is it stated, or implied that beerus was the only reason planet Vegeta was destroyed? All that was said was that beerus told him to do it. Nothing more. It is entirely possible, not to mention more than likely that Frieza was already going to destroy the planet anyway, but beerus telling him to do it was just an added bonus.
Frieza explained his motivation to Kikono in Minus:
He caught wind of the legends of the Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God and didn't trust the Saiyans to remain loyal.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:09 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I think we'll see in this movie that this isn't how this actually transpired. Freeza still did it on his own whim.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: When is it stated, or implied that beerus was the only reason planet Vegeta was destroyed? All that was said was that beerus told him to do it. Nothing more. It is entirely possible, not to mention more than likely that Frieza was already going to destroy the planet anyway, but beerus telling him to do it was just an added bonus.
Frieza explained his motivation to Kikono in Minus:
He caught wind of the legends of the Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God and didn't trust the Saiyans to remain loyal.
Yeah and they are using Minus in the movie. So I don't think there will be any doubt that Freeza still made the decision on his own accord irrespective of Beerus's annoyance with the Saiyans.