Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Nevaeh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 pm

To think some people questioned whether or not Goku was going to be in the new movie :lol:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Nevaeh wrote:To think some people questioned whether or not Goku was going to be in the new movie :lol:
It wasn't that out of the question. We've had a few movies in the past where Goku made little to no appearance. Namely the ones starring Bardock or Future Trunks.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 pm

Those were actually TV Specials, watching an episode without Goku is not quite the same as going to the theaters to watch a Dragon Ball movie without its main protagonist (which for me is totally okay. The best stuff in Dragon Ball franchise happen to be the ones that Goku barely appears or is not the main figure).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 am

Does anyone think this movie will take place on Planet Sadala?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:39 am

kn83 wrote:Does anyone think this movie will take place on Planet Sadala?
Would be nice if we got to see what the original home of the Saiyans looked like... Someone told me the planet Caulifla was found on was not Sadala, contrary to my first impression.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 am

I wouldn't be surprised as it'd be a chance to go into both histories and maybe have a connection between them like the saiyans are all from u6 but a group got into 7 somehow.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 am

sintzu wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised as it'd be a chance to go into both histories and maybe have a connection between them like the saiyans are all from u6 but a group got into 7 somehow.
Considering their popularity in Japan, we are likely gonna see Kale, Cabba and Caulifla in the film.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 am

perucho1990 wrote:Image

Credits to YonkouProd.
If the final product ends up looking like this, this is gonna be real fun to watch.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 am

majinwarman wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if the Time Traveler from Universe 12 could play a role in the movie. Universe 12 didn't get erase and the movie is about the origins of the Saiyans. I could see the movie dealing with time travel.
The Time Traveler from Universe 12 is a manga only thing so I don't know if they put that in a movie. But, you don't know for sure until it happens or not.
It would be good way to use him/her/it in the movie. I can't imagine they use something in the manga and never bring it up again. Toriyama even reference the Namek Book of Legends in a interview about Yamoshi
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:25 am

I hope that poster is indicative of a new design trend going forward. There was a poll making the rounds on Twitter recently about whether new Dragon Ball should go in the direction Pokemon Sun/Moon with more animation-friendly designs. It came out something like 52% against, which is closer than I expected. Even so, I figure a cartoonish stylised look like S&M would be rejected by the fanbase at large since Dragon Ball Z's "well 'ard" look is so popular.

This art style is a pretty good compromise. Not completely exaggerated like S&M, but animation-friendly with the right amount of detail. It seems almost tailor-made for someone like Tate to really flex his muscles with. I hope we get a really good movie out of this.

Also, please let Goku use the power pole in the movie. This is set after Super right? Ultra Instinct with the power pole? Sign me up!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
kn83 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
That Goku design makes me feel nostalgic
I don't know. Its not bad but it seems too round and One Piece-like.
The director did work on One Piece
So did the new character designer(which I think would be the bigger creative force behind a new art style).

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 am

That better be the color of Goku's gi going forward. No more dark orange/red and now the proper bright orange just like Krillin's.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 am

A powerful foe right after the ToP.. could be Grand Priest, who else could be "worthy"? :think:

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 am

I wasn't hyped about this movie that much. The origin story of the Saiyajins? Nah man. But now? Hell yes. One Piece Film Z hands down my favorite anime movie in terms of artwork and animation. Such a beautiful movie. Can't wait!

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 am

mute_proxy wrote:A powerful foe right after the ToP.. could be Grand Priest, who else could be "worthy"? :think:
I think its the guy that killed Jiren's parents, personally.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:02 am

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'm hyped.... Wowza.... :D

Also confirmed to be after ToP? Interesting.

Knew it would use DBS moniker. It's toooo strong a brand name right now.
I'm surprised that they are using DBS instead of DBZ. I like the move but they could have gotten more viewers if they had marketed it as a DBZ movie. I'm still ready to watch this movie.
Makes sense if it is a continuation of DBS and most international territories have DBS now too, seeing how well it is doing overseas aswell it is safe to say it's a household name now.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:11 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Nevaeh wrote:To think some people questioned whether or not Goku was going to be in the new movie :lol:
It wasn't that out of the question. We've had a few movies in the past where Goku made little to no appearance. Namely the ones starring Bardock or Future Trunks.
And they were made as TV movies as opposed to Theatrical movies because they knew it wouldn't bring in the money without Goku being in it.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 am

I'm absolutely thrilled over the art style this hints at. It's not Toriyama, exactly, but we haven't really mimicked Toriyama since the Yamamuro era began, and this still feels of a piece with his work while being clean and animation-friendly. Also love the colors.

Really, really excited to see where this goes. A Toriyama script, a stellar staff, and an exciting visual style are already three huge pluses.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:44 am

FUNi tweeting about the movie... safe to assume they have it licensed presumably part of the DBS deal.

WW simultaneous (or close to) seems like it may be on the cards. With a year of production and planning no excuse not too roll it out int'l sooner.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 am

kn83 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Considering their popularity in Japan, we are likely gonna see Kale, Cabba and Caulifla in the film.
Vegeta briefly touched on the Frieza/Saiyan thing when he met Cabba at the U6 tournament. He said that Cabba's battle suit was the same style of armor the Saiyans wore before they were assimilated into the Frieza army. He does seem knowledgeable about that period in Saiyan history so he could serve as Mr. Exposition for it.

Cabba's VA was also at the wrap party for episode 131 but he also voices Liquiir so take that as you will. Though...has Liquiir actually said anything since U6 vanished? :think: Not that he spoke much in the first place.