Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi tweeting about the movie... safe to assume they have it licensed presumably part of the DBS deal.

WW simultaneous (or close to) seems like it may be on the cards. With a year of production and planning no excuse not too roll it out int'l sooner.
If FUNi can manage to dub this film and give it a theatrical release in December or January then that'll be very impressive.

If the dub ends up releasing four months after the Japanese release like with Resurrection 'F', then I hope they at least do a very limited theatrical run of the film with subtitles in December. I'm crossing my fingers that Madman do this in Australia. They've been releasing subbed anime films here for a limited theatrical run a month after they release in Japan.

Still can't really properly explain just how excited I am for this film.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if the Time Traveler from Universe 12 could play a role in the movie. Universe 12 didn't get erase and the movie is about the origins of the Saiyans. I could see the movie dealing with time travel.
The Time Traveler from Universe 12 is a manga only thing so I don't know if they put that in a movie. But, you don't know for sure until it happens or not.
It would be good way to use him/her/it in the movie. I can't imagine they use something in the manga and never bring it up again. Toriyama even reference the Namek Book of Legends in a interview about Yamoshi
It could happen but I will not expect it though.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'm hyped.... Wowza.... :D

Also confirmed to be after ToP? Interesting.

Knew it would use DBS moniker. It's toooo strong a brand name right now.
I'm surprised that they are using DBS instead of DBZ. I like the move but they could have gotten more viewers if they had marketed it as a DBZ movie. I'm still ready to watch this movie.
Makes sense if it is a continuation of DBS and most international territories have DBS now too, seeing how well it is doing overseas aswell it is safe to say it's a household name now.
I'm happy that this happened because that means that they trust the DBS brand and believe in it.
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi tweeting about the movie... safe to assume they have it licensed presumably part of the DBS deal.

WW simultaneous (or close to) seems like it may be on the cards. With a year of production and planning no excuse not too roll it out int'l sooner.
If FUNi can manage to dub this film and give it a theatrical release in December or January then that'll be very impressive.

If the dub ends up releasing four months after the Japanese release like with Resurrection 'F', then I hope they at least do a very limited theatrical run of the film with subtitles in December. I'm crossing my fingers that Madman do this in Australia. They've been releasing subbed anime films here for a limited theatrical run a month after they release in Japan.

Still can't really properly explain just how excited I am for this film.
My personal prediction is that the dubs of the movies will happen three to six months after the release in Japan.
Majinwarman

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 am

I hope Funimation releases it subbed or dubbed on the same day it's released in Japan as I'd like to be surprised by DB for once instead of reading all the spoilers online. I know I can try to avoid spoilers but with how the internet is, how long would anyone be able to do that before getting spoiled out of nowhere ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am

kn83 wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:A powerful foe right after the ToP.. could be Grand Priest, who else could be "worthy"? :think:
I think its the guy that killed Jiren's parents, personally.
Oh, you're right! They did build up that mysterious villain. And we don't know if Jiren ever actually beat him. But would he be "long awaited?" To Jiren, yes, but I assumed we the audience were the ones they were talking about, like this movie's showdown was something we've been waiting for. Could be either way.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 am

sintzu wrote:

I hope Funimation releases it subbed or dubbed on the same day it's released in Japan as I'd like to be surprised by DB for once instead of reading all the spoilers online. I know I can try to avoid spoilers but with how the internet is, how long would anyone be able to do that before getting spoiled out of nowhere ?
That would be so amazing to get it dubbed in theaters the same time as subbed.
Like sintzu said it was a joy watching BoG in theaters but the movie was out for over a year, spoilers were everywhere.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 am

If this movie is after the ToP climax, I'm sure we'll get some flashbacks on the beginning
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:24 am

I hope this gets released in France for christmas. I'll have a reason to go celebrate Christmas in France this year, haha. (note, my aunt and some other family live in France, while I live in Norway).

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm crossing my fingers for a worldwide simultaneous release. Dragon Ball is a huge franchise so it would make sense for them to capitalize on it and market the hell out of this movie worldwide.
With proper advertising and simultaneous release worldwide, this movie could very well take a spot in the top 10 of the highest grossing anime movie ever. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... nime_films)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm

emperior wrote:With proper advertising and simultaneous release worldwide, this movie could very well take a spot in the top 10 of the highest grossing anime movie ever. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... nime_films)
And with insane investment on production and animation, who knows? Maybe the Oscars next year!
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:59 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
emperior wrote:With proper advertising and simultaneous release worldwide, this movie could very well take a spot in the top 10 of the highest grossing anime movie ever. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... nime_films)
And with insane investment on production and animation, who knows? Maybe the Oscars next year!
RF nearly made 62 million so this will most likely make more but I don't think it'll get into the top 10 as it'll have to make more than 134 million which is over twice as much as RF. I think it might be able to take the 12th spot with over 71 million.

In terms of the oscars, nothing would make me happier than to see a DB movie nominated for best picture as it'll at least make up for the nonesense they've been nominating lately.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:33 pm

sintzu wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
RF nearly made 62 million so this will most likely make more but I don't think it'll get into the top 10 as it'll have to make more than 134 million which is over twice as much as RF. I think it might be able to take the 12th spot with over 71 million.

In terms of the oscars, nothing would make me happier than to see a DB movie nominated for best picture as it'll at least make up for the nonesense they've been nominating lately.
The movie could make more than 71 million with the proper promotion and quality work put into the movie. Plus, if people have high praise about the movie then that could also get more viewers as well.
Majinwarman

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 pm

emperior wrote:I'm crossing my fingers for a worldwide simultaneous release. Dragon Ball is a huge franchise so it would make sense for them to capitalize on it and market the hell out of this movie worldwide.
With proper advertising and simultaneous release worldwide, this movie could very well take a spot in the top 10 of the highest grossing anime movie ever. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... nime_films)
My God, Your Name, the highest grossing anime movie ever???
Jesus! It was decent, but I didn't know it did so well :o

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:19 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
emperior wrote:I'm crossing my fingers for a worldwide simultaneous release. Dragon Ball is a huge franchise so it would make sense for them to capitalize on it and market the hell out of this movie worldwide.
My God, Your Name, the highest grossing anime movie ever???
Jesus! It was decent, but I didn't know it did so well :o
Even with it being the highest it just made 375 million which shows how long anime has to go before it can be in the big leagues.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
I don't get why this movie can't make twice the amount RoF made.
Dragon Ball is at its most popular in years thanks to Super, that's a fact. If they can get a worldwide release on the 14th of December this can surely make around 140 million. I may be overly optimistic, but that's how I am. I definitely prefer to be optimistic than pessimistic.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Any theories who that mighty foe could be? I can't think of anyone likely for the role.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:52 pm

I won't get my hopes up for the villain. Got myself traumatized after the "worst wish in history" that was heavily used when Movie 15 was announced and it turned out just to be Freeza yet again.

By the way, is the villain going to be for the main characters to deal with or for the Saiyans of the past? I also can't think of anyone for neither of them, but hopefully is for the Saiyans. Think it's time for me to see them in action for a change.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 pm

I keep reading people say that the movie will take place after the ToP arc based on the official tweet. But isn't that a lost a translation type of situation? When I read that tweet, I didn't take it as "this is what happens next after the ToP" but more like "this is the next story we're gonna tell after we're done with the show", as in it's the next thing they're working on and not necessarily the next plot point in the DragonBall timeline.

Someone with Japanese language experience knows better what the message meant?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 pm

LightBing wrote:Any theories who that mighty foe could be? I can't think of anyone likely for the role.
I'm confused. The translation of Toriyama's words said "long-awaited opponent". Does that mean its someone we know already or...?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"