God Ki is a Joke

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

God Ki is a Joke

Post by Amir » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 pm

It really doesn't matter anymore. Characters without god ki can easily match characters with god ki and surpass them. Goku absorbed the god power and made it his own, but the ki became normal. Golden Frieza, Hit and even Trunks can sense it and pretty much everyone strong enough to compete with SSJB and SSJG can. 17 can train in his park for a while and match a supressed current SSJB Goku, Gohan trains for 1 day and can hold his own againt SSJB Goku. It's supposed to be a whole other level, a new realm of power that cannot be reached with regular training, but it's not like that. In the ROF arc, they did a good job of making it special and superior to normal ki, but ever since the next arc it became irrelevant. What is the point of god ki? It means absolutely nothing. What was the point of even introducing it in the first place if characters can reach those levels by training ''hard'' enough?

precita
Banned

Re: God Ki is a Joke

Post by precita » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 pm

In retrospect I guess Super Saiyan God and Blue should have never been called "God ki."

Maybe Ultra Instinct should have been called "God instinct" instead.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:42 pm

First, none of these 3 can sense God Ki (MAYBE Hit).

In the case of Trunks, he looks at Vegetto releasing his power (remembering that SSB Ki produces great pressure) and says '' whay unbelievable energy. '' At no point is it being indicated that he is FEELING his power (in the earlier episodes he rightly points out that he is not capable of this), he is only clearly seeing the great amount of energy and pressure of Vegetto's Ki.

In the case of Freeza, I think (I do not remember much of the scene) that he says that because of the power he was feeling, he was sure to win the battle (against Goku). But I do not know where this indicates that he felt the energy of Goku SSB, he could be simply talking about his own power (because he was confident).

And now about God Ki, you're right, in the anime. In the manga the SSG and SSB are treated as completely different levels. We saw the chasm between SSG and SSJ3 in the fight against Toppo in the manga, Goku did not use the Blue against the 17 and nothing of the kind.
The anime sometimes also shows this (in the fight against Jiren and Kefla, we saw the big difference of the SSB for the other transformations), but the constant uses of Blue and the enemies seem to rival that form, confuse everything

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm

God Ki is nothing more than abnormal power level. Just like Super Saiyan was before, others can still match them if they have the "battle power."
The purpose of obtaining god ki was to match beings with high levels of energy.
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Amir wrote:It really doesn't matter anymore. Characters without god ki can easily match characters with god ki and surpass them. Goku absorbed the god power and made it his own, but the ki became normal. Golden Frieza, Hit and even Trunks can sense it and pretty much everyone strong enough to compete with SSJB and SSJG can. 17 can train in his park for a while and match a supressed current SSJB Goku, Gohan trains for 1 day and can hold his own againt SSJB Goku. It's supposed to be a whole other level, a new realm of power that cannot be reached with regular training, but it's not like that. In the ROF arc, they did a good job of making it special and superior to normal ki, but ever since the next arc it became irrelevant. What is the point of god ki? It means absolutely nothing. What was the point of even introducing it in the first place if characters can reach those levels by training ''hard'' enough?
Technically, what we're seeing in Super is not the first time where those with normal ki are stronger than those with god ki. Remember when Shin was revered by Piccolo as this all powerful god only for there to be SS2 Goku, SS2 Vegeta under Babidi's influence and later Majin Buu? All of them stronger than those that "god" and aren't gods themselves. They just do that again with guys like Freeza, Hit, Toppo and Jiren.

God Ki has always been a strange thing. You can get it from training with an angel. Fine. You can also get it if you're a Saiyan with a righteous heart and get energy from five Saiyans with righteous hearts (weird; but hey, just like humans create their own religions and their own gods). I don't necessarily recall the process Dende went through off of the top of my head, but he has god ki too. Its acquisition has always been rather blurred.

But that doesn't mean I don't agree with what you're saying. God Ki is a joke. It was supposed to be an entirely new level, but it served as nothing but a shortcut for Goku and Vegeta to reach new heights, and even then you have illogical things like Freeza catching up to that level with just four months of training (I like Golden Freeza, but the process behind it was so stupid). Then there's Kefla who suddenly gets to that level, which makes just as much sense as Golden Freeza. The case of Trunks jumping to that level kind of (but still not totally) makes sense since he was beaten up by SSB Vegeta and Black Rose and Saiyan hybrids are stated to have more potential (not sure he has god ki). And then you have guys like Hit who have lived for a millennium and have had all that time to get that strong (which actually makes a lot of sense). I'd presume the same with Toppo and Jiren, but you never know. Personally I think God ki should never have been introduced if it was going to get clowned like this in the anime (it's at least way more consistent in the manga).

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Amir wrote:It really doesn't matter anymore. Characters without god ki can easily match characters with god ki and surpass them. Goku absorbed the god power and made it his own, but the ki became normal. Golden Frieza, Hit and even Trunks can sense it and pretty much everyone strong enough to compete with SSJB and SSJG can. 17 can train in his park for a while and match a supressed current SSJB Goku, Gohan trains for 1 day and can hold his own againt SSJB Goku. It's supposed to be a whole other level, a new realm of power that cannot be reached with regular training, but it's not like that. In the ROF arc, they did a good job of making it special and superior to normal ki, but ever since the next arc it became irrelevant. What is the point of god ki? It means absolutely nothing. What was the point of even introducing it in the first place if characters can reach those levels by training ''hard'' enough?
You literally just described the super saiyan transformation. Remember, that transformation that was so legendary, it was thought to be a myth and could only be achieved through fulfilling a prophecy, that thing that scared Freeza, the strongest being in the universe and put warriors on a different realm of power.

Next arc, 3 other saiyans have it and androids built on Earth can match it.

Face it,calling god ki a joke is like a calling super saiyan a joke. We have been there before, we accept it and we move on

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

It should be noted that God Ki just doesn't revolve solely around power. Characters like Kaioshin and Dende have God ki.

Either way, does it matter? I don't like this idea that characters who reach a certain plateau of strength can't be challenged by other characters who don't go damn the route route of power inflation. God Ki shouldn't serve as the one way street for any given character to become stronger. You drastically limit the scope of narrative by going down this route. I honestly welcome the idea that characters that don't have God ki can keep with very strong characters that do. It at least makes fights more unpredictable. The last thing I want is for powerful God Ki characters to always have the advantage. Provide that seed of doubt that some mortal characters who don't possess God ki could potentially challenge them. The last thing I want is for a scenario like there was after Namek among the the main cast where you were either a Super Saiyan or a nobody.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 am

Totamo wrote:
You literally just described the super saiyan transformation. Remember, that transformation that was so legendary, it was thought to be a myth and could only be achieved through fulfilling a prophecy, that thing that scared Freeza, the strongest being in the universe and put warriors on a different realm of power.

Next arc, 3 other saiyans have it and androids built on Earth can match it.

Face it,calling god ki a joke is like a calling super saiyan a joke. We have been there before, we accept it and we move on
You're... correct on that, actually.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 am

It is. Golden Frieza made it a joke just by existing. And everything after that killed it dead. I liked the idea of mortals hitting a ceiling with normal ki and god ki setting up a whole new heirarchy of power. That's so clean and easy to understand. I felt like that's what AT was setting up, but clearly I misread that since RoF made it kinda irrelevant, but hey, that's just that crazy genius Frieza right? Oh, there's Hit. Well, he's over a thousand years old and kinda doesn't use ki in the same way everyone else does. Zamasu? Black? They have God ki. Jiren? Don't think he has it but DAMN HE STRONK. Toppo? Maybe? Android 17? Uh, his energy source has never been fully explained, but it's even more undetectable than god ki. Gohan? His potential is godly (lol). Kefla? Let's not talk about her. Aniraza? Who knows how his ki works? Ribrianne? Doubt it. Kale? Goku was sandbagging in their first fight, so no. Trio de danger? No.

God ki is a totally wasted concept that's still not fully fleshed out that doesn't really matter anymore. With the little we know about it, it's only useful feature is that mortals can't sense it, so limited stealth abilities, yay. I have to say that I am disappointed in it because they had the opportunity to change the entire way the show works and essentially rework the character balance from scratch.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:21 am

Kaioshin has god Ki and most of characters can defeat them easily. God ki is just a way of managing ki, it doesn't mean that someone who has it is untouchable.

And how do we know EXACTLY that Trunks and others can sense god ki? It is implied in the series that god ki emanates some kind of PRESSURE, and that the ki is supressed, and maybe these characters know about that after dealing with gods for some time. Freeza knew Beerus for a long time, and Trunks trained with Vegeta SSB.

And Gohan didn't hold itself against Goku SSB. Goku wasn't clearly full power and in the show Gohan isn't shown to be anywhere near Goku SSB. #17 we don't have much information about his power, and we know that he has been training, and he can match strong characters.

Toppo has god ki as is shown in the manga, and we know that he is a candidate for a god of destruction, he trains with gods. God ki isn't exclusive to Goku and Vegeta.