How strong is Jiren compared to Beerus?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How strong is Jiren compared to Beerus?

Post by BWri » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:53 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Beerus can use UI although he hasn't mastered it yet, AND he has a much higher battle power than Goku and Vegeta. I don't see how the narrative would make sense to give Goku and Vegeta that much of a boost to have them surpass the GoDs in order to beat Jiren. It's way too much power creep in a short time, especially if Goku is able to master UI in freaking 30 minutes where as Beerus still hasn't been able to despite having been a GoD for millions of years. Honestly FP UI should be the end goal. Where do you go after that?
^^This too, especially this! It's kinda what I'm trying to say, at least part of it. I don't think they'd skip over one measuring stick that the characters have yet to be shown to surpass in order to promote a brand new measuring stick. That's why I think there's more to Beerus that they aren't telling us. Right now the narrative focus is on Jiren so he's getting some good feats and good statements, but they've left a door wide open to have an excuse for Beerus to still be stronger than Jiren and still a proper measuring stick for Goku and Vegeta, which'll likely be him having raw strength over them and UI. I definitely think it's too soon for them to have closed the gap in power AND for Goku to have learned UI. If Goku surpasses this monster gap in a single tournament and masters UI, then the pacing of his progress will feel utterly ridiculous. If they were going to have him surpass Beerus like this, he might as well have done it during one of the previous arcs, like U6 in the anime when he busted out KKx10 or later when he busted out KKx20.
Pannaliciour wrote: Lolll. Nobody said that the Grand Priest was stronger then Yamcha. Nobody said ssj 1 is stronger then kaio ken. But it is common sense!! They don't have to SPECIFICALLY tell the viewer that Jiren>Beerus.

Good point, but for there not to be a debate on this, they do have to outright say that "Jiren is stronger than Beerus" or the evidence has to be overwhelming in Jiren's favor. The evidence is not overwhelming in Jiren's favor yet. There is a strong case for him in the anime, but again, not definitive. In the manga it is a legitimate even sided debate as to who's stronger.

*edit, To be more specific, as long as Beerus' power remains undefined there is no way to definitively end this debate or speculation as to who is stronger than who. Beerus power is undefined for narrative reasons and because of that he is outside of the other GoD. There appears to be a general GoD tier of power, but of course those there would fluctuate in power. It's not the GoD communism tier after all. Even in the anime, one can infer that some GoD are weaker than other, as Sidra seems rather impressed and frightened by characters that are base god tier. Even the manga there's an even bigger case of PL disparity between the GoD. Not all GoD are made the same :lol:
Whis said (pre top) GoD (that IS stronger then Beerus) can't defeat Jiren (rumour)

Yeah, in an arm wrestling match, which doesn't prove a lot. It doesn't even make a lot of sense, since Beerus arm wrestling rival appears to be two different characters between the anime and manga. That to me just screams that its one of those details that one of Toei's many writers added in for some strange reason that they'll cover up or not address later. It's just odd so I don't put a lot of stock into it. If the statement were the same in both mediums, then yes it's more evidence in Jiren's favor.
then when he saw his strength (post top) he said he might even be above GoD level (supressed). AGAIN, WHY ARE WE STILL ARGUING.
Because there's something to debate until definitively stated otherwise. From what I've seen of the other GoD. Beerus is on a whole other level than the rest, except for maybe Quitela. I believe he'll remain Goku's measuring stick once this arc is over. That seems to be his role, even if Toriyama has to retcon previous statements to do it.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 am

:eh: I have to point out something people are jumping to conclusions with.

Beerus isnt far stronger than the rest of the G.o.Ds. Seems like a lot of people saw chapter 28, and missed chapter 29, where the G.o.Ds fucked each other up very badly, even beerus was. For some reason, belmod was the only one not injured at all, despite taking a hit head on by liquiir. All gods seem to be comparable in power, with belmod, beerus and quitela being the most impressive. Also, Ultra instinct does not make anyone invincible, as a way faster character would be able to speed blitz (Whis vs Grand priest for example), and we dont know if jiren doesnt have UI, maybe he is saving it for the final fight

So, as far as jiren goes, he is stronger than belmod, who seems to be top tier god going by the manga. Whether or not he is stronger than beerus, i can safetly say that neither one shots, as no god of destruction can one shot each other.

All we can say for sure is that both jiren and beerus are at the same realm of power as of now. Maybe once jiren goes near full power, we will hear wether jiren indeeds surpasses G.o.D level like whis speculated.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:36 am

Belmod played dead in chapter 29 after Liquir attacked him. We never saw him fight after that point so you can't say he's a top tier GoD. He might be , he might not be.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:32 am

ToshioWrites wrote:Belmod played dead in chapter 29 after Liquir attacked him. We never saw him fight after that point so you can't say he's a top tier GoD. He might be , he might not be.
The fact he took no damage, the fact he managed to encapsuled all gods, and damaged them all with cards.
Clearly, he is a top tier god. Jiren being stronger also makes jiren at least top tier G.o.D level (if he isnt above G.o.D level, which whis speculates he could be).

Lets see how the show treats him.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Jiren is stronger, too many evidences.

First Whis says that there is a mortal who is strogner than a god of destruction who is stronger than Beerus. That mortal is obviously Jiren, so: Beerus < God of destruction < Jiren
Then we have Whis saying Jiren has reached the state of a god of destruction, then Whis looks as Belmod and realizes he is suppressed, and proceeds to say: "maybe even surpassed it'', that alone confirms Jiren is stronger.

Nothing suggests, and I mean nothing, that Beerus is above Belmod, but everything suggests that Jiren is.
Even in the manga, all gods are roughly the same, some are a bit stronger than the others, but barely. Belmod wasn't even scratched after the fight, don't get me wrong, it doesn't make him stronger than all of them, since he could have just been pretending to be hurt the entire time or for a while, as far as we know. But even if Beerus was strogner than Belmod, it still doesn't prove he is stronger than Jiren.

Still, most likely scenario is that Jiren is strogner than every god of destruction.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Given the extreme back-and-forth nature of this whole debate, how about we say that Jiren is simply on the same general level as Beerus and the other Hakaishin?

Could be a little stronger, could just be equal, but definitely on their overall level. Not weaker, though.

I think the narrative has made it clear that enough time has passed for our heroes (well, just Goku, but you get the idea) to finally have a chance at surpassing that which has remained insurmountable for so long, the Gods of Destruction.

In-universe and IRL, it's been many years since Goku and friends were introduced to that realm of power, the realm of upper deities. Back during Resurrection of F and the Universe 6 & 7 Tournament, the goal in mind was to keep Goku and Vegeta well below Beerus. I think the introduction of Jiren as a fighter on that level is Toriyama's way of seeding the potential for Goku to finally approach that level himself, maybe even go past it, without directly usurping Beerus.

It's probably just my own interpretation bias talking, but I truly believe that this franchise's creators have decided that it's now okay for Goku to truly breach the power of the gods.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Beerus can use UI although he hasn't mastered it yet, AND he has a much higher battle power than Goku and Vegeta. I don't see how the narrative would make sense to give Goku and Vegeta that much of a boost to have them surpass the GoDs in order to beat Jiren. It's way too much power creep in a short time, especially if Goku is able to master UI in freaking 30 minutes where as Beerus still hasn't been able to despite having been a GoD for millions of years. Honestly FP UI should be the end goal. Where do you go after that?
Haha really? Goku went from power level around 20.000 to around final form 100% freeza in what.. 1 week?

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:46 pm

buutenks wrote: All GoDs are in same tier of power. Their skills just varies. Also Belmod was never stated to be below Beerus IIRC. So Jiren is above the GoDs, all of them, including Beerus.
And within a "tier", there is sufficient room for variance as it is. Keep in mind that 1,2x is fully enough to utterly body someone, even though the difference in power doesn't seem staggeringly impressive.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:
Haha really? Goku went from power level around 20.000 to around final form 100% freeza in what.. 1 week?
Still not even close to as much of a power creep as going from SSB to surpassing Beerus in 46 minutes.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Kaiosama wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:
Still not even close to as much of a power creep as going from SSB to surpassing Beerus in 46 minutes.
Dude he surpassed Freeza in like 1 hour on Namek.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Yeah, he did. The power creep wasn't nearly as big. That is more like Gohan going from SSJ2 to Mystic and surpassing Super Buu. GoD's are on a whole different level than them and there's not really anywhere to go but Angel Tier after Goku and Vegeta master Ultra Instinct.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Kaiosama wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:
The anime messed up the power scale with kaioken, which isn't a Toriyama idea. Full power SSB in the manga is probably getting pretty close to Beerus and in RoF it was stated by Whis both Goku and Vegeta together had a chance against Beerus.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 am

I didn't interpret Whis statement " He is one who has reached the state of GoD, perhaps even surpassed it" to mean that a heavily holding back Jiren was GoD level. I took it as him looking at the ease with which jiren was wrecking SSB KKX20 Goku pushing a spirit bomb and meant it as only someone on the level of a GoD or beyond could do that with such ease. What i mean is that Beerus/GoDs could have basically flicked away Spirit Bomb like Jiren did

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 am

ToshioWrites wrote:I didn't interpret Whis statement " He is one who has reached the state of GoD, perhaps even surpassed it" to mean that a heavily holding back Jiren was GoD level. I took it as him looking at the ease with which jiren was wrecking SSB KKX20 Goku pushing a spirit bomb and meant it as only someone on the level of a GoD or beyond could do that with such ease. What i mean is that Beerus/GoDs could have basically flicked away Spirit Bomb like Jiren did
Belmond confirmed that the Genki Dama had him worried, but for Jiren it was nothing. Suppressed Jiren > Belmond.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:16 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:I didn't interpret Whis statement " He is one who has reached the state of GoD, perhaps even surpassed it" to mean that a heavily holding back Jiren was GoD level. I took it as him looking at the ease with which jiren was wrecking SSB KKX20 Goku pushing a spirit bomb and meant it as only someone on the level of a GoD or beyond could do that with such ease. What i mean is that Beerus/GoDs could have basically flicked away Spirit Bomb like Jiren did
Belmond confirmed that the Genki Dama had him worried, but for Jiren it was nothing. Suppressed Jiren > Belmond.
I thought he meant that it had him worried for his team, not for himself. After all, he wasn't the one it was being used on. Arak and some of the other Hakaishin were relaxed about it.

Anyway another thing that should be brought up is that Beerus has the technique that can nullify ki attacks... Jiren can't do that. He can also seal people like he did to Rou Kaioshin.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:48 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
I thought he meant that it had him worried for his team, not for himself. After all, he wasn't the one it was being used on. Arak and some of the other Hakaishin were relaxed about it.

Anyway another thing that should be brought up is that Beerus has the technique that can nullify ki attacks... Jiren can't do that. He can also seal people like he did to Rou Kaioshin.
It was aimed at Jiren and he already knew Jiren was stronger than him. This means the gap between him and Jiren is even larger than he thought.

Beerus can't nullify attacks that are stronger than him. And sealing some guy who's weaker than Base Saiyans is no great feat. Also, we don't know if he can just do that whenever he wants.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:25 am

People who really believe that suppressed Jiren is > Gods i hope that they are just trolling. Vermoud was worried because that genkidama was really powerful and Jiren seemed in difficulty. Unless you guys believe that Goku Genkidama has some chance to beat an Hakaishin (and this is just lol) suppressed Jiren is not>Gods.

It was already confirmed that Jiren is Hakaishin level by Toei, and in the manga he's above to Belmod in battle power, nothing more.

"A mortal that a God can't defeat" does not mean that he can stomp them. Some people really believe that he can finger flick a God like an Angel :lol:

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Legion wrote:People who really believe that suppressed Jiren is > Gods i hope that they are just trolling. Vermoud was worried because that genkidama was really powerful and Jiren seemed in difficulty. Unless you guys believe that Goku Genkidama has some chance to beat an Hakaishin (and this is just lol) suppressed Jiren is not>Gods.

It was already confirmed that Jiren is Hakaishin level by Toei, and in the manga he's above to Belmod in battle power, nothing more.

"A mortal that a God can't defeat" does not mean that he can stomp them. Some people really believe that he can finger flick a God like an Angel :lol:
Nothing more? Whis said he perhaps surpassed the STATE of gods of destruction, which puts him above all of them. Belomd said ''that giant ball had me worried, but for Jiren it was a piece of cake'', implying that for him, it was something to worry about, but for Jiren it's nothing. Whis said Jiren is as strong as a god of destruction based on his suppressed power.

Jiren is stronger than all gods of destruction. There might not be a direct confirmation, but all the evidences suggest he is. It makes more sense to think he is than not. Once Jiren shows his full power, I'm certain it will be confiremd once and for all directly. Either way, it's confirmed he is at the very least top tier GOD level, but of course he can't stomp them.

supersaiyangodgogeta
Regular

Post by supersaiyangodgogeta » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Jiren being above Beerus isn't contestable. The only way that you could conclude otherwise is literally by ignoring statements.

Whis states that there is a mortal that is stronger than a God of Destruction. Then Whis states that this God of Destruction is stronger than Beerus. Seems simple to me. I don't know how people are saying it's "vague".

Thus before we even get to the events of the TOP we already know that Jiren>Specified God of Destruction>Beerus. Jiren was already stated to be above Beerus specifically. No ifs and or buts.

Then we get to the TOP where Beerus freaks out over Jiren's suppressed energy and Whis states that Jiren could even surpass the entire God of Destruction state, which puts him above every single God of Destruction.

So the most likely scenario is that Jiren crushes Beerus like an ant.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Yeah, he did. The power creep wasn't nearly as big. That is more like Gohan going from SSJ2 to Mystic and surpassing Super Buu. GoD's are on a whole different level than them and there's not really anywhere to go but Angel Tier after Goku and Vegeta master Ultra Instinct.
How do you mean 'wasn't nearly as big'. Freeza was also on a whole different level then Goku. In fact Freeza was almost 280 times (final form) stronger then Goku before Goku when to Namek. And you think a ssjb level is 280 times weaker then Beerus? No way

And beside, manga stated that ssjb is nearly at the level of a god.
Last edited by Pannaliciour on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.