Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Even if Kitaro does get a new anime unless we get slot details it could potentially takeover Monster Hunter... But that would mean 3 animated Toei shows back to back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:54 pm

At this point if Super actually continues during March into April with no breaks I'd be shocked. All signs point to it ending and leaving the schedule.

I guess there will be no fillers then, wouldn't people want that? If we get new eps I imagined we'd get like 10-15 slice of life eps before the next big arc, so I guess they'll just skip over that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

precita wrote:At this point if Super actually continues during March into April with no breaks I'd be shocked. All signs point to it ending and leaving the schedule.

I guess there will be no fillers then, wouldn't people want that? If we get new eps I imagined we'd get like 10-15 slice of life eps before the next big arc, so I guess they'll just skip over that.
There’s no bases for that at all.

And all signs come from Ajay making a speculation that may mean nothing in the end.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Even if Kitaro does get a new anime unless we get slot details it could potentially takeover Monster Hunter... But that would mean 3 animated Toei shows back to back.
That would put it up against Precure, wouldn't it?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:28 pm

HeroR wrote:
precita wrote:At this point if Super actually continues during March into April with no breaks I'd be shocked. All signs point to it ending and leaving the schedule.

And all signs come from Ajay making a speculation that may mean nothing in the end.
It's not just a few people, I see speculation about this coming from many different people because of the combined evidence we have coming of a new show starting, the DVD releases, etc.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 pm

precita wrote:
HeroR wrote:

It's not just a few people, I see speculation about this coming from many different people because of the combined evidence we have coming of a new show starting, the DVD releases, etc.
Which fans do all the time with Super, like how many believed Super would end in the Champa Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:10 pm

precita wrote:
HeroR wrote:

We don't even know if Kitaro is getting a new tv show, there is zero confirmation regarding that.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Araki wrote:Literally the only thing that could justify Super ending/taking a break would be a lack of staff due to the new movie, including Toriyama himself being apparently extremely busy with the script and designs.
Even then, there have been movies produced while episodes for the long running anime are still being made. The presence of a movie should in no real way hamper Super, unless the movie didn't get enough pre-production time.
Of course, but with Super's schedule, it would be impossible to keep the current quality. And Super needs Toriyama to provide storylines and designs, can he handle both a series and a movie at the same time?
Sure they could go with fillers or a Toyotaro plot for months, but the show would lose the point and its appeal then.

I don't even believe Super will end or take a break, just saying that would be the only plausible explanation given the position Dragon Ball is at the moment.

Chuquita wrote:Nagoya marathon. http://womens-marathon.nagoya/en/outline/general/ It's every year.
Oh, sure, I was thinking of the February break. That one is unusual, I think.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Araki wrote: Of course, but with Super's schedule, it would be impossible to keep the current quality. And Super needs Toriyama to provide storylines and designs, can he handle both a series and a movie at the same time?
Possibly if they take another plot synopsis Toriyama wrote on a napkin and turn it into 50-episodes arc like they did with Universe Survival. I mean, I'm sure most of the core plot threads and events come from him but there's really no issue for Toei to stretch whatever Toriyama comes up with into year-long 'season' to accomodate for new movie developement.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:24 pm

http://www.marathon.tokyo/en/ is the Tokyo marathon.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm

It's hard to believe all the predictions of Super being canceled or going on hiatus have a chance of coming true. I guess meme magic really does work. I admit I will be sad if we got a full year without new episodes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

precita wrote:It's hard to believe all the predictions of Super being canceled or going on hiatus have a chance of coming true. I guess meme magic really does work. I admit I will be sad if we got a full year without new episodes.
Not sure what you mean by "meme magic". But at any rate saying "cancelled" is the wrong terminology as if it does end it's planned as Kitaro is in 50th anniversary (ie not random) "cancelled" would be if DBS ended now in the midst of a tournament. Kai (1.0) was cancelled as we knew there was a whole other arc left that wasn't produced (Buu arc) and wasn't planned to return to Japanese TV. (Until Toriko proved to be worse).

Anyway the new DB website describes DBS as "The popular animation "Dragon Ball Super" being broadcasted huge! "

So whatever decision to end or break is definitely a creative one.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm

It's gonna feel weird watching through February and March if this Kitaro announcement is a time-slot replacement.

It's gonna feel weird in general for a while if Super ends with this tournament.

I mean, it'll free up some of my time, and that wouldn't be all bad, but man does the execution of this tournament not do it for me as a finale.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm ok with a hiatus - provided they don't leave us hanging.
If they release the schedule for Kitaro on Friday, and it is taking Super's slot, then they need to address the situation, as we know Super is taking a break or finishing.

I feel that if this truly was the last Arc, it would have been made clear by now, though who knows.
I just don't want this movie being the next Arc, or lead in to a new Series or Super's return, as it means Funimation will have to dub it before continuing Super.

I just hope that if it is a hiatus, Funi can produce extra episodes, and air 2 a week so they can catch up, in order to Simuldub on return.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:It's gonna feel weird watching through February and March if this Kitaro announcement is a time-slot replacement.

It's gonna feel weird in general for a while if Super ends with this tournament.

I mean, it'll free up some of my time, and that wouldn't be all bad, but man does the execution of this tournament not do it for me as a finale.
I have to agree, I like this arc a lot but I was hoping it would lead into something else or have ramifications for the next arc. I can almost guarantee it won't end satisfying since they'll have one episode to wrap everything up in (assuming pace is still 1min = episode).

I'm hoping that they knew this arc would end at the cour and just wanted the final BD to wrap it up. But Kitaro thing looks likely an anime as they keep tweeting the different anime series it's had especially since the banner has "TV animation". (Though I appreciate it may say that because that's what they're celebrating 50th anniversary of the first series). So it definitely seems they're counting down to a new series.

It's also gonna be odd to see them continue to heavily market a show that won't exist anymore, they're going absolutely ham on UI Goku from March, nothing seemingly is slowing down everything is on regular schedule too. To wait 5 months and then the show ends to then decide that's when we'll market Goku's new form is just bizarre.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Maybe the tournament will end with U7 losing to Jiren. Universe 7 will be erased, hence prompting the hiatus. Can't have a show without the main cast. :lol:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:It's gonna feel weird watching through February and March if this Kitaro announcement is a time-slot replacement.

I have to agree, I like this arc a lot but I was hoping it would lead into something else or have ramifications for the next arc. I can almost guarantee it won't end satisfying since they'll have one episode to wrap everything up in (assuming pace is still 1min = episode).

I'm hoping that they knew this arc would end at the cour and just wanted the final BD to wrap it up. But Kitaro thing looks likely an anime as they keep tweeting the different anime series it's had especially since the banner has "TV animation". (Though I appreciate it may say that because that's what they're celebrating 50th anniversary of the first series). So it definitely seems they're counting down to a new series.

It's also gonna be odd to see them continue to heavily market a show that won't exist anymore, they're going absolutely ham on UI Goku from March, nothing seemingly is slowing down everything is on regular schedule too. To wait 5 months and then the show ends to then decide that's when we'll market Goku's new form is just bizarre.
I don't know, i haven't actually considered this, i mean, Super could still end on a cliffhanger that would lead to the next arc, or have something that hints it. At this point, and with how extremely long this saga has been, i doubt Freeza, the Grand Priest, or Jiren (with his wish) could actually do something quite big without it happening on a different story (which hopefully occurs beyond EoZ)
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It's also gonna be odd to see them continue to heavily market a show that won't exist anymore, they're going absolutely ham on UI Goku from March, nothing seemingly is slowing down everything is on regular schedule too. To wait 5 months and then the show ends to then decide that's when we'll market Goku's new form is just bizarre.
It's bizarre because it's not ending ? I never thought about the marketing but you'd think things would slow down but they haven't so that's something we can look at as evidence of it not ending.
dbs fanboy wrote:I doubt Freeza, the Grand Priest, or Jiren (with his wish) could actually do something quite big without it happening on a different story (which hopefully occurs beyond EoZ)
Freeza is a big thing no one's talking about as they'd need more than 1 episode to wrap his story up so like with the marketing, we can look at this as another sign for it not ending.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

The only non-Kitaro-related stuff that makes me think they could've been planning this to be the final arc (for now?) would be the Buu arc similarities of this being the first arc to get a complete dedicated opening instead of just getting a partial animation update like the rest of F, Champa, and Goku Black arcs got along with the other Buu arc similarity of it being so much longer than the arcs before it (and I guess for those who split DB and Z, yet another series to end on a tournament arc with GT being the only exclusion to that).

If it ends here it won't be satisfying for me at all. I was really hoping for something more as a finale. I feel like there's a lot of unexplored places to take Goku and friends.

Nozawa also voicing Kitaro in a number of Gegege no Kitaro projects also has me worried about it taking Super's timeslot. As does them talking just about TV series in this retrospective when Kitaro has 8 movies in its backlog they could talk about too, yet haven't.

I remember the Goku Black merchandise (figures particularly) coming out way late after the arc was mostly over last year (you still can't buy his WCF directly from Amazon--only from sellers) so it could be another case of that. I dunno.

I just kinda hope this all blows over and Super isn't being replaced, but if it does get replaced I'm prepared to deal with it.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 pm

sintzu wrote: It's bizarre because it's not ending ? I never thought about the marketing but you'd think things would slow down but they haven't so that's something we can look at as evidence of it not ending.
That was one of the big evidence I using to arguing why it won't end but I dunno now evidence seems to be swinging the other way now.

Heck they're not slowing down they're adding even more things to the DBS brand!! The "Blood of Saiyan"
line was under the Z brand and from May
it will be shifted over to DBS branding. With the three on going gashapon sets Bandai have announced another one starting in Feb. The Ichiban Kuji's are an schedule every 3 months but after this March one the next is scheduled for May not June and on top of ALL that Vegeta and Trunks Galick Gun MSD is being released in April under DBS brand.
Chuquita wrote: I remember the Goku Black merchandise (figures particularly) coming out way late after the arc was mostly over last year (you still can't buy his WCF directly from Amazon--only from sellers) so it could be another case of that. I dunno.
With DBS not ending after that arc they could get away with slow marketing Black interest will still be high in DBS as it were on going. The thing with UI Goku is they're still marketing him as "mysterious" ooooh blanking him in most pieces of merch etc. It's just so odd how they're gonna act like UI Goku doesn't exist then from March suddenly go crazy about him especially if the show ends. Since 2015 I have been questioning the marketing dept. This is the biggest head scratcher.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 pm

To be completely honest, from a narrative standpoint, ending the whole thing after the Tournament of Power will be going out with a bang.

There has been a slow escalation from the Search for the Dragon Balls with Bulma to armed forces to planetary threats to universal threats to timeline threats and finally to a multiverse threat.

Everything led up to this moment, and ending it here would be very cool. Although, I would rather not, if I had the choice. :(