Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
precita wrote:I'm sure Toriyama didn't approve of stuff like Purple Vegeta or the various slice of life fillers but they still made them anyway.
Pretty sure he does everyone thought the retellings were all Toei then we find out it was all Toriyama's idea, Namekian Book of Legends anyone? Also he said he was responsible for the post battle aftermath of the Buu arc in DBS before the actual BoG arc started. Wouldn't be surprised if he outlined more than people think.
Funny thing, Toriyama outright said it was his idea for the retellings before Super even started. For some reason, everyone just forgot about that and blamed Toei.
Because it is easy to blame them. Toei has always been an easy target to shoot blame at since Super has started. Though they have deserved some of it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Araki wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Heck they're not slowing down they're adding even more things to the DBS brand!! The "Blood of Saiyan"
line was under the Z brand and from May
it will be shifted over to DBS branding. With the three on going gashapon sets Bandai have announced another one starting in Feb. The Ichiban Kuji's are an schedule every 3 months but after this March one the next is scheduled for May not June and on top of ALL that Vegeta and Trunks Galick Gun MSD is being released in April under DBS brand.
It would be weird if the show ended indeed, with all that merchandise changing focus to DBS over the next months, but it wouldn't be a first for Bandai and its partners, I guess. For instance, Super Sentai is heavily merchandise-driven, and usually Bandai stops releasing stuff a little before a series is over. But a super popular Sentai like Gokaiger (2011) kept getting new releases under its brand over the entirety of 2012, and even the following years, eventually.

Maybe they think the brand got to a point where it's strong enough to keep selling so much even without a tv series? While at the same time trying to make Kitaro great again so they have another strong seller? I don't know. Even that would be hard to understand as Kitaro doesn't have 1/10 of the global appeal that DB has, but I'm trying to understand the logic behind a possible end/hiatus.
DBS brand is really strong to the point they're slapping it on anything so I guess that would make sense. But there's always gonna be better synergy when you have an on going show like for example this P-Bandai Goku Jiren set sold out it's initial shipment but it proved to be so popular that in an unprecedented move Bandai ordered a second shipment for December so rough calculation assuming both shipments were limited to 100 sets each (probably way more since one person can order a max of 10, I believe they produce as many that have been reserved beforehand so hard to say) they'd have made $12,000 just on this alone, in reality probably even more! This is all right around where the ToP is heating up no coincidence.

The marketing department in general has been a massive mess since 2015 and it was only since start of 2017 when it seemed like they sorta knew what they were doing but now waiting 5 months to market Goku's new form is so odd, if the show does end in March then interest in DBS is expectedly gonna die down if the show does end I reckon the marketing department don't actually know, that would explain it.

Also on typing the previous post the BWFC/SCultures SPECIAL release in June is also being shifted from Z brand to DBS... (Though that maybe cuz the winner of the BWFC gets to design two figures of their choice for a SPECIAL release so I'm guessing they chose two characters DBS related, but still).
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Something to ponder. The first Kitaro film in 2008 was made to celebrate the 40th anniv of the first television series now we're 10 years later celebrating the 50th anniv. Perhaps this could be a movie afterall. In 2008 they still had a series on going, I believe, but still made a point about celebrating the 40th anniv with a movie.
I don't think Toei would want to work on two movies at the same time.
Toei did do it in the past.
Yup for the 2008 movie they worked on it for two years prior to release. So if a movie it could already be done or close too.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Araki wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Heck they're not slowing down they're adding even more things to the DBS brand!! The "Blood of Saiyan"
line was under the Z brand and from May
it will be shifted over to DBS branding. With the three on going gashapon sets Bandai have announced another one starting in Feb. The Ichiban Kuji's are an schedule every 3 months but after this March one the next is scheduled for May not June and on top of ALL that Vegeta and Trunks Galick Gun MSD is being released in April under DBS brand.
It would be weird if the show ended indeed, with all that merchandise changing focus to DBS over the next months, but it wouldn't be a first for Bandai and its partners, I guess. For instance, Super Sentai is heavily merchandise-driven, and usually Bandai stops releasing stuff a little before a series is over. But a super popular Sentai like Gokaiger (2011) kept getting new releases under its brand over the entirety of 2012, and even the following years, eventually.

Maybe they think the brand got to a point where it's strong enough to keep selling so much even without a tv series? While at the same time trying to make Kitaro great again so they have another strong seller? I don't know. Even that would be hard to understand as Kitaro doesn't have 1/10 of the global appeal that DB has, but I'm trying to understand the logic behind a possible end/hiatus.
DBS brand is really strong to the point they're slapping it on anything so I guess that would make sense. But there's always gonna be better synergy when you have an on going show like for example this P-Bandai Goku Jiren set sold out it's initial shipment but it proved to be so popular that in an unprecedented move Bandai ordered a second shipment for December so rough calculation assuming both shipments were limited to 100 sets each (probably way more since one person can order a max of 10, I believe they produce as many that have been reserved beforehand so hard to say) they'd have made $12,000 just on this alone, in reality probably even more! This is all right around where the ToP is heating up no coincidence.

The marketing department in general has been a massive mess since 2015 and it was only since start of 2017 when it seemed like they sorta knew what they were doing but now waiting 5 months to market Goku's new form is so odd, if the show does end in March then interest in DBS is expectedly gonna die down if the show does end I reckon the marketing department don't actually know, that would explain it.

Also on typing the previous post the BWFC/SCultures SPECIAL release in June is also being shifted from Z brand to DBS... (Though that maybe cuz the winner of the BWFC gets to design two figures of their choice for a SPECIAL release so I'm guessing they chose two characters DBS related, but still).
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I don't think Toei would want to work on two movies at the same time.
Toei did do it in the past.
Yup for the 2008 movie they worked on it for two years prior to release. So if a movie it could already be done or close too.
Why is the marketing department a mess?
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:48 pm

majinwarman wrote: Why is the marketing department a mess?
It's fine now but for the first 1.5 years up until 2017 it wasn't great, which is why I didn't make the thread until 2017. They just didn't know what to do, almost as if they were scared cuz of how Kai turned out. Out of the first 3 arcs it felt like ResF was marketed the most with the merch U6 arc was hardly felt at all aside from Champa who got a bit more. Lines were getting started then ending after a volume then rinse and repeat a few more times it definitely felt like they didn't know what they were doing or how to go about things then 2017 rolled around and they finally got their shit together, proper marketing and merch for arcs not just including figures, regular schedules, releasing some pretty high quality stuff and the backend of 2017 moving in 2018 is really strong if only it was like this from the start!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
It's fine now but for the first 1.5 years up until 2017 it wasn't great, which is why I didn't make the thread until 2017. They just didn't know what to do, almost as if they were scared cuz of how Kai turned out. Out of the first 3 arcs it felt like ResF was marketed the most with the merch U6 arc was hardly felt at all aside from Champa who got a bit more. Lines were getting started then ending after a volume then rinse and repeat a few more times it definitely felt like they didn't know what they were doing or how to go about things then 2017 rolled around and they finally got their shit together, proper marketing and merch for arcs not just including figures, regular schedules, releasing some pretty high quality stuff and the backend of 2017 moving in 2018 is really strong if only it was like this from the start!
Well, I'm glad that they finally figured it out. I can understand why they were scared at first but the fact it took until 2017 to finally start marketing correctly is just not a good look. It's almost like they thought that Super was going fail from the start. That shows that they don't have faith in their own products.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Well, I'm glad that they finally figured it out. I can understand why they were scared at first but the fact it took until 2017 to finally start marketing correctly is just not a good look. It's almost like they thought that Super was going fail from the start. That shows that they don't have faith in their own products.
It's understandable I guess, since with Kai they went full force and it flopped so perhaps they were cautious about DBS and by the time 2017 came about it probably just hit them that this is real they have a successful brand to work with.

Honestly it's pretty exhausting to keep track of everything nowadays for the thread! Just sooo much stuff now!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It's fine now but for the first 1.5 years up until 2017 it wasn't great, which is why I didn't make the thread until 2017. They just didn't know what to do, almost as if they were scared cuz of how Kai turned out. Out of the first 3 arcs it felt like ResF was marketed the most with the merch U6 arc was hardly felt at all aside from Champa who got a bit more. Lines were getting started then ending after a volume then rinse and repeat a few more times it definitely felt like they didn't know what they were doing or how to go about things then 2017 rolled around and they finally got their shit together, proper marketing and merch for arcs not just including figures, regular schedules, releasing some pretty high quality stuff and the backend of 2017 moving in 2018 is really strong if only it was like this from the start!
It's understandable I guess, since with Kai they went full force and it flopped so perhaps they were cautious about DBS and by the time 2017 came about it probably just hit them that this is real they have a successful brand to work with.

Honestly it's pretty hard to keep track of everything nowadays for the thread! Just sooo much stuff now!
Well, good luck my friend in that! I personally don't have the time to do that. Keep up the good work!
Majinwarman

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:15 pm

majinwarman wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Pretty sure he does everyone thought the retellings were all Toei then we find out it was all Toriyama's idea, Namekian Book of Legends anyone? Also he said he was responsible for the post battle aftermath of the Buu arc in DBS before the actual BoG arc started. Wouldn't be surprised if he outlined more than people think.
Funny thing, Toriyama outright said it was his idea for the retellings before Super even started. For some reason, everyone just forgot about that and blamed Toei.
Because it is easy to blame them. Toei has always been an easy target to shoot blame at since Super has started. Though they have deserved some of it.

While they do deserve some of it, it really annoying when ‘everything wrong with Super’ is blamed on Toei and how ‘Toyo will fixed it’, only for everyone to go mute when the manga has the same issue or is worst.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:33 pm

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
HeroR wrote:

While they do deserve some of it, it really annoying when ‘everything wrong with Super’ is blamed on Toei and how ‘Toyo will fixed it’, only for everyone to go mute when the manga has the same issue or is worst.
I also don't like when people don't like something in DBS they attribute it was only done to "sell merchandise". Kale, Ikari, Vegeta's new form (at least up until June), SSG comeback these are examples of people saying they only existed or cameback to sell merch when they've hardly been marketed/merched at all!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Because it is easy to blame them. Toei has always been an easy target to shoot blame at since Super has started. Though they have deserved some of it.

I also don't like when people don't like something in DBS they attribute it was only done to "sell merchandise". Kale, Ikari, Vegeta's new form (at least up until June), SSG comeback these are examples of people saying they only existed or cameback to sell merch when they've hardly been marketed/merched at all!
And then look at the figures Bandai is really pushing. Repaints of Goku and Vegeta, Goku Black and Broly. And it's not even the shiny new God Broly, it's normal-ass Broly who hasn't been in anything new in years.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 pm

ToP might end in march, and in turn Super. That coincides with Toyo stating he will get ahead of the anime9sinceh is manga isnt finished, he will keep on making chapters till fall of 2018). And with the new movie coming out, we will have new DB content till 2019, when Super will either continue or a new series will be made, possibly going passed end of Z. Cos there is just so much story you can squeeze in those 10 years. Plus since Jiren is GoD level or above it, Goku n Vegeta have reached their goal if they defeat Jiren. To surpass the hakaishin level. They could do new arcs with Angel level enemies or even one as strong as the GP, but the way I see it, the angels have never been shown as a wall for them to pass. Only the GoDs.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 pm

One more day until the Kitaro announcement. Hopefully that clears this up one way or the other.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 pm

They're new character models, those silhouettes, that's for sure. One of the replies to the one day left tweet was someone complaining about a character who used to be short now being too tall for them. I think it's either a series or a movie.

Either way, the fact that we'll likely know whether Super lives or dies this March by this time tomorrow is something else.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 am

Takanashi Yasuharu tweeted about important info on 19th which is well the same day Kitaro gets an announcement. So, pretty much he is confirmed for Kitaro. More than likely it is a TV series. But, we will find out about that today anyways.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:07 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:

And then look at the figures Bandai is really pushing. Repaints of Goku and Vegeta, Goku Black and Broly. And it's not even the shiny new God Broly, it's normal-ass Broly who hasn't been in anything new in years.
Yeah, everything that could be marketable hasn't been marketed at all. It's just an excuse that people throw when they don't like something. "Oh, it's all about the toys and they don't care about the show other than a toy commercial." It just shows their inability to be open-minded.
Majinwarman

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 am

majinwarman wrote: Yeah, everything that could be marketable hasn't been marketed at all. It's just an excuse that people throw when they don't like something. "Oh, it's all about the toys and they don't care about the show other than a toy commercial." It just shows their inability to be open-minded.
Kinda of like how everything is fan service. My favorite is that Cali and Kale are SJW pander, because that's obviously the only reason female Saiyans exist.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:15 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Takanashi Yasuharu tweeted about important info on 19th which is well the same day Kitaro gets an announcement. So, pretty much he is confirmed for Kitaro. More than likely it is a TV series. But, we will find out about that today anyways.
I really hope it doesn't take over Super's timeslot or at the very least they announce Super coming back in 2019.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 am

In that production team interview they didn't say they when DBS was gonna end and Toriyama hadn't decided how it would end and then in response if the U.S arc was the last arc they said it's slated until March but naturally Toriyama has something in mind.

Hiatus does seem likely but not forgone conclusion yet.

Plus we don't know how long Kitaro would air for, could be maybe even little as a cour.

I really don't want the ToP to be the end of the arc so I'm hoping they leave a cliffhanger.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:we don't know how long Kitaro would air for, could be maybe even little as a cour.
I wouldn't mind as that's how long we'd probably have to wait for the next main arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:we don't know how long Kitaro would air for, could be maybe even little as a cour.
I wouldn't mind as that's how long we'd probably have to wait for the next main arc.
I could be wrong, but didn't the last series run for just one cour?.