Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm

I hope Dragon Ball Super doesn't resolve the Freeza stuff. I want to be left on a cliffhanger. That sounds exciting.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Could it be the movie this December (which explores the origins of the Saiyan power) will be set on Planet Vegeta many years before the manga, act as a reboot, and will be followed by a Series based off of it?.
I hope this doesn't happen, can't imagine not having Goku and co. but it could happen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Could it be the movie this December (which explores the origins of the Saiyan power) will be set on Planet Vegeta many years before the manga, act as a reboot, and will be followed by a Series based off of it?.
I hope this doesn't happen, can't imagine not having Goku and co. but it could happen.
I don't think there's even a 1% chance of that being the case. What could happen is the movie being set on Sadal as that visit is the last major plot point Super hasn't resolved yet and would be a good way to end Super's run before moving onto something completely new possibly set after EOZ.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:15 pm

sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:Could it be the movie this December (which explores the origins of the Saiyan power) will be set on Planet Vegeta many years before the manga, act as a reboot, and will be followed by a Series based off of it?.
I don't think there's even a 1% chance of that being the case. What could happen is the movie being set on Sadal as that visit is the last major plot point Super hasn't resolved yet and would be a good way to end Super's run before moving onto something completely new possibly set after EOZ.
EoZ.... the letters that send shudders down my spine.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Why ?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:28 pm

sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Why ?
The cast are all old, I get that Saiyans age slower, but the humans will be really old.
Not to mention GT occurring around that time, it's just one big mess in my opinion.
No one's saying I have to watch if it does go there, so I understand that it is something a lot of people are longing for, it just doesn't sound particularly appealing to me personally.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Why ?
The cast are all old, I get that Saiyans age slower, but the humans will be really old.
Not to mention GT occurring around that time, it's just one big mess in my opinion.
No one's saying I have to watch if it does go there, so I understand that it is something a lot of people are longing for, it just doesn't sound particularly appealing to me personally.
Krillin has been the only relevant human in terms of fighting and he seemed to be in good shape. GT is set 5 years after so they have enough time for a few arcs.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 pm

sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Why ?
Krillin has been the only relevant human in terms of fighting and he seemed to be in good shape. GT is set 5 years after so they have enough time for a few arcs.
Roshi still fights and so did crane hermit..
Age doesn't take toll on martial arts masters the same way it does on normal humans..
Krillin can be a 100 years old and he will still be kicking arse..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
EoZ is perfect left alone. It wraps up the story well and in my opinion it works even better with the events of DBS in mind, I can't really explain why I feel it does just watching Buu Kai last year the ending with knowledge of DBS just really resonated with me and I was like that's perfect.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:EoZ is perfect left alone. It wraps up the story well and in my opinion it works even better with the events of DBS in mind, I can't really explain why I feel it does just watching Buu Kai last year the ending with knowledge of DBS just really resonated with me and I was like that's perfect.
I think it's because Super has given us a definitive answer about what's out there so things feel more complete knowing we've seen (nearly) everything that's to be seen. Before we'd ask what else was out there besides Buu but now that's been answered, there isn't anything.

Another thing I always wanted to see was where Vegeta's character would go after truly becoming a good guy and so far it's exceeded my expectations.

Once we go to Sadal (assuming we're not in the next movie) and get the final tournament between U7 and the remaining 4 universes then I'll be more than satisfied with modern DB and Toriyama walking away from the franchise cause I'll know that he truly showed us everything DB had to offer unlike before where things were left open.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:EoZ is perfect left alone. It wraps up the story well and in my opinion it works even better with the events of DBS in mind, I can't really explain why I feel it does just watching Buu Kai last year the ending with knowledge of DBS just really resonated with me and I was like that's perfect.
I think it's because Super has given us a definitive answer about what's out there so things feel more complete knowing we've seen (nearly) everything that's to be seen. Once we go to Sadal and get the final tournament between U7 and the remaining 4 universes then I'll be more than satisfied with modern DB and Toriyama walking away from the franchise cause I'll know that he truly showed us everything DB had to offer unlike before where things were left open.

Another thing I always wanted to see was where Vegeta's character would go after truly becoming a good guy and so far it's exceeded my expectations.
You're probably right! I think that's it the DB world feels completed.

People say it doesn't work anymore cuz Uub isn't that strong now etc but that's not the point Goku see's potential in him and wants to train him thus completing the final step of Goku's journey become a master. Goku and Vegeta don't hold a candle to Whis and Beerus yet they still chose to train them, why? Cuz they saw potential. So I don't buy this Uub argument people throw.

As for Vegeta. Honestly DBS has made a more fan of his character than I was before.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:People say it doesn't work anymore cuz Uub isn't that strong now etc but that's not the point Goku see's potential in him and wants to train him thus completing the final step of Goku's journey become a master.
Goku already became a master to Gohan so I don't see it like that. Goku's interest in Uub makes more sense now because we now know there are 11 other universes out there and Goku so far has surpassed the strongest 7 of them have to offer. When DB comes back and we get the other 4 we can assume he'll surpass their best as well. We were told U7 doesn't have anyone else so he's the strongest there. Toriyama said Goku would eventually surpass Beerus so when that happenes it makes sense for Goku to look at Buu's reincarnation for a fight as there's nothing left out there for him (until Toei takes over and maybe does something with hell like heroes).

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I think it's because Super has given us a definitive answer about what's out there so things feel more complete knowing we've seen (nearly) everything that's to be seen. Once we go to Sadal and get the final tournament between U7 and the remaining 4 universes then I'll be more than satisfied with modern DB and Toriyama walking away from the franchise cause I'll know that he truly showed us everything DB had to offer unlike before where things were left open.

You're probably right! I think that's it the DB world feels completed.

People say it doesn't work anymore cuz Uub isn't that strong now etc but that's not the point Goku see's potential in him and wants to train him thus completing the final step of Goku's journey become a master. Goku and Vegeta don't hold a candle to Whis and Beerus yet they still chose to train them, why? Cuz they saw potential. So I don't buy this Uub argument people throw.

As for Vegeta. Honestly DBS has made a more fan of his character than I was before.
Couldn't agree more with these statements. If anything, EoZ should now be left alone more than ever, as it feels right to do so, I thought it did anyway, but this just reinforces it even more.
If Super does return (or another Series) there is the best part of nearly 4 years for them to play with, and that is more than enough.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:34 pm

NOT ENDING JUST A BREAK

PROOF:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:47 pm

So, will the manga be ending at the Tournament of Power arc as well, or will it continue onward? Or, is that not known yet?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:01 pm

puar wrote:NOT ENDING JUST A BREAK

PROOF:

By "series" they meant "franchise"

Super is ending
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 pm

PROOF:

Herms was saying that when they say series, they mean DB as a whole.
If anything, the interview with Chioka & Sakurada at Salón del Manga back in November last year *could* and I emphasise *could* hint at Super returning (or another new series) because they said Toriyama Sensei didn't know how Super was going to end, now, this was 4 months ago - they knew Kitaro was replacing it, and 131 was to be the last.
If they were being sincere (and not misleading us) and Toriyama Sensei really didn't know how it was going to end, then that *possibly* means it hasn't ended yet, and is coming back.
If they were misleading us, then it'll wrap up by the end of 131.

One more thing to bear in mind, the ToP (as all other Super Arcs) was drafted by Toriyama Sensei, and turned into episodic format by Toei at least over a year ago.
Thus meaning, that all these episodes were written months back, and I assume the writers are given some sort of direction as to how the episode should play out in accordance to Toriyama's draft (especially if it's the final few episodes of a story arc - not referring to slice of life "filler").
Providing this is the case, then 131 won't tie it all up.

There is hope.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:

PROOF:

Herms was saying that when they say series, they mean DB as a whole.
If anything, the interview with Chioka & Sakurada at Salón del Manga back in November last year *could* and I emphasise *could* hint at Super returning (or another new series) because they said Toriyama Sensei didn't know how Super was going to end, now, this was 4 months ago - they knew Kitaro was replacing it, and 131 was to be the last.
If they were being sincere (and not misleading us) and Toriyama Sensei really didn't know how it was going to end, then that *possibly* means it hasn't ended yet, and is coming back.
If they were misleading us, then it'll wrap up by the end of 131.

One more thing to bear in mind, the ToP (as all other Super Arcs) was drafted by Toriyama Sensei, and turned into episodic format by Toei at least over a year ago.
Thus meaning, that all these episodes were written months back, and I assume the writers are given some sort of direction as to how the episode should play out in accordance to Toriyama's draft (especially if it's the final few episodes of a story arc - not referring to slice of life "filler").
Providing this is the case, then 131 won't tie it all up.

There is hope.
Plot points have been changed all throughout this arc, so a last minute ending change because of the series ending isn't out of the question
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Plot points have been changed all throughout this arc, so a last minute ending change because of the series ending isn't out of the question
Very true. I think it will become clear during 131 if this is the end.

Personally, there's every chance the reason Super has ended (whether for good, or temporarily) is solely because of Kitaro - which roughly every ten or so years pretty much, comes back for an anniversary series.
It is now time for it to do so again, so Toei don't want to say "hey guys, sorry, but we're putting Super on the shelf (or finishing it) because we need to air this 50-odd year old anime because it's been 10 years".

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Why ?
The only relevant human that would be old is Bulma. Which actually would make her fullfil the role as brains of the series even better with more experience and age so yeah. That excuse Toriyama came up with never made sense