Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I love how pointless the change from Buu to Freeza was.
Actually I think there is a reason and I suspect somewhere in dialogue someone will refer to RoF and mention that had Goku/Vegeta not been on Beerus planet then Frieza would have never been revived.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm

TheMikado wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:
It's Herms' translation on Twitter.
You do know that your left out the most important part. They also said, “its not like the series will end”.
Here is the context.

“Fuji TV says that while there are no set plans for the broadcast of a new DB show, “it’s not like the series is over”.

Further we have:

“This site likewise says the new Kitaro series will start in the 9:00 AM Sunday timeslot on April 1st, and that DB's broadcast afterwards is still "under discussion":
From what I read, it said that the Super brocast is undecided and that its not like the series is over.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:52 pm

I’m also very confused as to why people are flipping out about Freeza. What does any of this even have to do with the character? Somehow people are also flipping out saying the ending of the arc will now be shit. I don’t understand why a hiatus would result in the things people are getting hysterical over. For all you know the last episode could be a cliff hangar regarding Freeza’s plans.

You guys need to take a step back and calm down.
TheMikado wrote:
Asura wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
From what I read I thought they said “Dragonball” as in the franchise NOT the series. And my understanding was that the series is done, but anything DB related isn’t out of the question
There’s far more stronger arguments for a hiatus than there is a cancellation. The fact that this news comes only weeks after the announcement of a new movie should be pretty obvious as to why it’s going on hiatus. The animators can’t be working on both things at the same time. DBS is more popular than ever and merchandise sales are through the roof. It would make literally zero sense to cancel Super given what it’s done for the franchise to revive it and make Dragon Ball as popular as it is right now.
There were also fair stronger arguments for it not to be replaced by another show at all... the same arguments your making here are the same arguments that people used to convince themselves that this wasn’t happening anytime soon. Yet here we are and really shows the value of that argument. As I’ve said many many times there were far more clues that it would end but externally and storywise. Ending at the ToP makes perfect sense narratively.
That doesn’t even make any sense. Why would an argument for the animators spending time on the movie be an argument AGAINST Super going on hiatus?

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 pm

People all this time assumed Super would never end just because of the profit the series was doing, though they never took the effort to look Toei Animation modus operandi nor that specific timeslot.

Normally series are firstly planned for 1 or 2 years. Dragon Ball Super was planned for 2 years. Then depending if there is more source material and if popularity allows, the series is further extended. Original series with a long source material can get extended for long periods of time, but usually is only extended for 1 year or some more seasons. This is specially more true to derivative series(like Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball).
Other recent example of that is World Trigger that got a 2 seasons extensions(and almost certainly it would get way bigger one if not the author health problem).

About the timeslot, started in 1999 for Digimon:

4 years - Digimon Adventure 01 to Frontier.
3 years - Gash Bell.
1 year - Digimon Savers
2 years - Gegege no Kitaro(5th run)
2 years - Dragon Ball Kai(1st run)
3 years - Toriko
4 year - Dragon Ball Kai(2nd run) to Super
? years - Gegege no Kitaro(6th run) -> Probably will run for 2 years, the other installments got around that time. If popular possibly will get an extension of 1 year like Super.

Note how the originals got longer runs: Digimon -> 4 years, Gash Bell -> 3 years, Toriko -> 3 years. And Derivatives shorter ones: Digimon Savers -> 1 year, Gegege no Kitaro -> 2 years, Dragon Ball Kai(1st run) -> 2 years, Dragon Ball Kai(2nd run) -> 1 year. And note how Dragon Ball Super was initially planned for 2 years but due to the success got 3 years.

For people that Don't know Gegege no Kitaro, know that is a series that started the boom in popularity of the Youkai/Terror genre and the longest still active series from Toei Animation. Is it known as the FATHER of the genre and every decade it has a new anime series, and this one is the 5th decade(6th time) that does that.
In reality is the 8th version, not the 6th because in 1988 Inferno Kitaro(7 episodes series) and 2008 Hakaba Kitaro(11 episodes) were also made.

For a long time people(me included) were estimating that soon Kitaro would get another adaptation.
Last edited by Bigivel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 pm

I honestly hope Super ends on some kind of cliffhanger. Maybe Zalama shows up at the end or something with Freeza, or maybe when the Team U7 get back to U7, they see that its been under attack or invasion, or maybe Jiren’s wins and his wish was to bring back all the universes that have been erased by Zeno including universes 13 to 18.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:55 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: You do know that your left out the most important part. They also said, “its not like the series will end”.
Here is the context.

“Fuji TV says that while there are no set plans for the broadcast of a new DB show, “it’s not like the series is over”.

Further we have:

“This site likewise says the new Kitaro series will start in the 9:00 AM Sunday timeslot on April 1st, and that DB's broadcast afterwards is still "under discussion":
From what I read, it said that the Super brocast is undecided and that its not like the series is over.
That was the same thing said to Bleach and Toriko. Do you see any of them still airing?

Gegege no Kitaro will almost certainly take 2 year, in the least. The last 3 runs had 2 years.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Bigivel wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Here is the context.

Further we have:

That was the same thing said to Bleach and Toriko. Do you see any of them still airing?

Gegege no Kitaro will almost certainly take 2 year, in the least. The last 3 runs had 2 years.
Remember that time that they said the Toriko and Bleach series won’t be going anywhere too?

Oh wait they never said that.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Bigivel wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Here is the context.

Further we have:

The difference being there's a manga still going and a movie coming out.
Feels over Reals.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Asura wrote:I’m also very confused as to why people are flipping out about Freeza. What does any of this even have to do with the character? Somehow people are also flipping out saying the ending of the arc will now be shit. I don’t understand why a hiatus would result in the things people are getting hysterical over. For all you know the last episode could be a cliff hangar regarding Freeza’s plans.

You guys need to take a step back and calm down.
TheMikado wrote:
Asura wrote:
There’s far more stronger arguments for a hiatus than there is a cancellation. The fact that this news comes only weeks after the announcement of a new movie should be pretty obvious as to why it’s going on hiatus. The animators can’t be working on both things at the same time. DBS is more popular than ever and merchandise sales are through the roof. It would make literally zero sense to cancel Super given what it’s done for the franchise to revive it and make Dragon Ball as popular as it is right now.
There were also fair stronger arguments for it not to be replaced by another show at all... the same arguments your making here are the same arguments that people used to convince themselves that this wasn’t happening anytime soon. Yet here we are and really shows the value of that argument. As I’ve said many many times there were far more clues that it would end but externally and storywise. Ending at the ToP makes perfect sense narratively.
That doesn’t even make any sense. Why would an argument for the animators spending time on the movie be an argument AGAINST Super going on hiatus?
I’m specifically referencing the sales and popularity argument every time something happens which may be a clue. It’s the same argument when the DVD episode count was revealed or anytime the ratings drop a bit.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:03 pm

I wonder if Super's declining ratings influenced this decision. Ratings plummeted in 2017 compared to 2015/2016.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Asura wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: From what I read, it said that the Super brocast is undecided and that its not like the series is over.

Remember that time that they said the Toriko and Bleach series won’t be going anywhere too?

Oh wait they never said that.
Yes, they said it. And Toriko even had in the last episode saying "End of the Human World Saga".

Bleach had people in the production, even the series director, saying that the return of Bleach would also be dependent of the fans buying stuff from the series.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 pm

precita wrote:I wonder if Super's declining ratings influenced this decision. Ratings plummeted in 2017 compared to 2015/2016.
Rating are down for the entire TV industry, across the globe. Viewing habits change rapidly. And with growing merch/licensing sales, the answer is obviously "not really/hardly"

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: From what I read, it said that the Super brocast is undecided and that its not like the series is over.

The difference being there's a manga still going and a movie coming out.
Both Bleach and Toriko had manga still going, and Dragon Ball Super manga is an "adaptation"(more like an alternative timeline) of the anime and not the opposite.

What about the movie of Dragon Ball in the end of the year, says anything about it returning? If it had anything to say it would be a goodbye to the franchise(and I'm not saying it has anything to do with a goodbye).

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

CW: language.
[spoiler]FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK[/spoiler]

I hope this is just a hiatus and that Dragon Ball Super or a new series comes back. Or that it is getting a new timeslot and is going on a short break. But nevertheless, not having a new episode every week is going to suck. I look forward to Saturday evenings more than anything each week. The only consolation right now is that there is a new Dragon Ball movie (which isn't branded Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball Super, curiously enough) announced for December, so it is possible that may lead into a new series, or something.

And while ratings were down, the series has been slaying in merchandise.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Even if Freeza turns evil and betrays the team and gets discarded in the most predictable and boring fashion... you still couldn't convince me that Buu being in the tournament would have been a fraction as interesting as what we got with Freeza. Freeza was literally the compelling character on the team.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Goodbye, sweet prince.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 pm

lancerman wrote:
Even if Freeza turns evil and betrays the team and gets discarded in the most predictable and boring fashion... you still couldn't convince me that Buu being in the tournament would have been a fraction as interesting as what we got with Freeza. Freeza was literally the compelling character on the team.
True, but if Freeza doesn't 'achieve' anything at the end, his scheming against the Gods has no payoff after the build-up, it will be a massive letdown.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Are we certain this isn't just an early April Fool's joke on us fans?

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:Are we certain this isn't just an early April Fool's joke on us fans?
Would they really joke like that, especially this early? I've seen people hoping it is an April Fool's joke, but I sincerely doubt it.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Basaku wrote:True, but if Freeza doesn't 'achieve' anything at the end, his scheming against the Gods has no payoff after the build-up, it will be a massive letdown.
Frieza's schemes never have any payoff. He wanted immortality and got blown up, wanted revenge and got blown to hell, got revived for revenge again and got blown to hell again. It's kind of his thing.