Predicting Funimation's Super Voices

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Predicting Funimation's Super Voices

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 am

Miracles wrote:The Dragonball dub voices are so forced and unnatural it's comedic. Watching Super on Toonami is a roasting session. Ocean dub [Saiyan and Namek arc] was decent.
I don’t see how the voices come off as “forced” or “unnatural” at all. Everything Kai and onwards for the dub has been great IMO. The dub has improved a lot from its early days. Super’s dub has been a joy to watch so far.

OriginalRed

Post by OriginalRed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am

I just pray that Sean won't do that impression of Goku Black in Xenoverse in Super's Dub. To be fair to him though, they kinda left him hanging on the context of who Black actually was so he just assumed that he had to speak like a dark version of Goku.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:55 am

I personally think that they will go with something closer to rose for Blacks voice like a more arrogant sounding goku. I really like the Rose dub for Black.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:19 am

Miracles wrote:The Dragonball dub voices are so forced and unnatural it's comedic. Watching Super on Toonami is a roasting session. Ocean dub [Saiyan and Namek arc] was decent.
No offense but no one asked for your opinion on whether or not you like the dub, that’s not what this thread is about.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:I personally think that they will go with something closer to rose for Blacks voice like a more arrogant sounding goku. I really like the Rose dub for Black.
All he needs to do is tweak his SSR voice and make it more subtle and I think it'll be fine, 'cuz as of right now there isn't much Goku in that voice.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Anyone think they may recast Zamasu? Would you want them to or do you think with better direction Marsters will work? Personally for me if they were going to recast Travis Willingham would be a good choice i think.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Anyone think they may recast Zamasu? Would you want them to or do you think with better direction Marsters will work? Personally for me if they were going to recast Travis Willingham would be a good choice i think.
I don't mind Marsters as Zamasu. Admittedly, he wasn't so good as Future Zamasu; his voice felt emotionless, robotic if you will. But by the time Fused Zamasu was released, he truly improved his performance.

That being said, i would really like Josh Grelle (Demigra's voice actor) as Zamasu. I think he would suit the role of the arrogant and vainglorious Supreme Kai very well.

I also hope that Sean will drop his British accent when Super Saiyan Rosè makes its debut, because i didn't like it at all. Truthfully, Sean admitted he knew nothing about the character of 'Black' when he voice acted him in Xenoverse 2, so i can understand. It was not his fault, it was Xenoverse's team's, as they only thing they told Sean is that he would be voice acting an 'evil Goku'. That's it.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Truthfully I prefer his rose Goku Black voice compared to his regular. That dark sounding goku was bad, I really hope they don't take that direction. Just a more arrogant sounding Goku. We will have an idea in less than 2 weeks :D

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
rs_chaosmaster wrote:Anyone think they may recast Zamasu? Would you want them to or do you think with better direction Marsters will work? Personally for me if they were going to recast Travis Willingham would be a good choice i think.
I don't mind Marsters as Zamasu. Admittedly, he wasn't so good as Future Zamasu; his voice felt emotionless, robotic if you will. But by the time Fused Zamasu was released, he truly improved his performance.

That being said, i would really like Josh Grelle (Demigra's voice actor) as Zamasu. I think he would suit the role of the arrogant and vainglorious Supreme Kai very well.

I also hope that Sean will drop his British accent when Super Saiyan Rosè makes its debut, because i didn't like it at all. Truthfully, Sean admitted he knew nothing about the character of 'Black' when he voice acted him in Xenoverse 2, so i can understand. It was not his fault, it was Xenoverse's team's, as they only thing they told Sean is that he would be voice acting an 'evil Goku'. That's it.
Sabat went on record saying that Toei were so secretive about it they didn't even tell them whether or not Nozawa was even playing him!

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 pm

That is crazy!! So do you expect a completely new interpretation for both Black and Rose from Sean?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:13 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:That is crazy!! So do you expect a completely new interpretation for both Black and Rose from Sean?
I do expect Base Black to be completely different, (Rhymestyle I believe said it was) Rosé will probably be more subtly different from Base Black similar to how Schemmel gives Goku's form subtle voices changes. He's gone on record saying the voice is gonna be decided between him and Sabat and Sabat knows what he's doing so I'm confident Schemmel can pull it off. Like you said he's need to sound more like an arrogant Goku and if he can tone done the British accent to be more subtle I think it'll be fine.

I don't expect everyone to love it initially but I think it'll eventually warm up to people.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:35 pm

I don't think they will. James Marsters is a decently notable guy in broader nerd culture thanks to his role on Buffy, so it would work wonders to catch more casual fans' attentions. This is especially true when they play up his DB fandom and the whole "Evolution actor redeeming himself in the series" angle.

I'm also confident he'll give a genuinely great performance. Marsters is a pretty good actor, and was the saving grace of Evolution for me. I'm sure better direction and context will help Marsters to improve dramatically, but I honestly don't think he was that bad in the game all things considered. This is only based on the cutscene clips I've seen, but I like how he gave the Zamasu voice a sense of gravitas that works to highlight Zamasu's arrogant self-importance. While his delivery isn't quite perfect, he's definitely on the right track. Again, better direction with more context behind it will probably iron out the issues with the performance.

Travis is a good choice, too, but he's a union actor in California now who does lots of prelay stuff. I don't think you'll see him in many Texas dubs anymore unless it's something special, like doing the inevitable dub for the FMA live action movie (and that's assuming Aniplex or whoever has the rights has it recorded in Texas to ensure the Texas-based actors reprise their roles).
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Well Travis just tecently stopped his role for Ace last year so i dontthink it is impossible but, you are probably correct. It wil be exciting to hear the Future Trunks Arc

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 pm

I just want Scott McNeil to voice one of the Universe 6 Namekians.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Well Travis just tecently stopped his role for Ace last year so i dontthink it is impossible but, you are probably correct. It wil be exciting to hear the Future Trunks Arc
Yeah, but that's a special case because he's reprising a role that he played before for a big series. Either way, I still don't think they'd recast Zamasu at this point. I do think Travis would have been a good pick, but Marsters is a pretty big name by anime dub standards and I really think he'll be good. But yeah, I'm right with you about being excited for the arc! The only concern I have is Schemmel's Black. I hope he finds that happy medium between voices.

On another note, I actually want them to have Stephanie Sheh come in and guest star as Ribrianne. Since she's a magical girl parody, it would be cool to have the current dub Sailor Moon play her. However, I did see at least one person suggest Cherami Leigh, which would also be a good pick that makes the magical girl/Sailor Moon connection. She plays Venus apparently? Yeah, full disclosure: I haven't actually seen much of Sailor Moon, let alone the new dub (it's on the list, though!) - I just think the references would be appreciated by the broader anime fandom.

My YouTube

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am

Yup i was the one who suggested Cherami as well as Landa and Karbowski all 3 of them have voiced magical girls in other series.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 am

We have a surprise future replacement, Chris Ayres Frieza is being voiced by someone else in Fighterz. It isn't a surprise since poor Chris is in really bad health but who is it that is voicing him any idea?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:We have a surprise future replacement, Chris Ayres Frieza is being voiced by someone else in Fighterz. It isn't a surprise since poor Chris is in really bad health but who is it that is voicing him any idea?
It's presumably Daman Mills. He was Ayres' understudy for some Freeza lines towards the end of the F arc, which was revealed in the credits specifically for the TV broadcast, which credited both Ayres and Mills in Episodes 26 and 27, I believe. However, the Part 2 home release only credits Ayres in 26, I think.

My YouTube

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 am

Jiren's been properly confirmed for Xenoverse 2 now, so an English voice has likely been cast.

Who do we reckon? I feel like Josh Grelle would be good, he's overdue for a proper Dragon Ball role.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:36 am

Kataphrut wrote:Jiren's been properly confirmed for Xenoverse 2 now, so an English voice has likely been cast.

Who do we reckon? I feel like Josh Grelle would be good, he's overdue for a proper Dragon Ball role.
Mr.Harem guy? Ehh don't think it'll fit tbh they need someone who has an imposing and deep voice, I can never take Grelle seriously, Patrick Seitz comes to mind. Or maybe someone out the box like Jim White he was pretty imposing as Igneel. Or perhaps even Rick Keeling I think he'd be good.