Predicting Funimation's Super Voices

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Predicting Funimation's Super Voices

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:35 pm

I wanted to start a thread where we try to predict who will be cast in specific roles for Funimation's Super Dub. This seems like a fun idea and we can go back and reference to see if anyone got them right.

We already know the voices for the Black Arc at least we think we do.

Black: Sean Schemmel
Zamasu: James Marsters
Mai: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Trunks: Eric Vale

Predictions:
Grand Priest: Vic Mignogna
Haru: Luci Christian
Maki: Monica Rial

Tournament of Power Arc (Only the Important Ones LOL XD)
Kale: Lauren Landa
Caulifla: Brynn April
Ribrianne: Cherami Leigh
Rozie: Britney Karbowski
Kakunsa: Trina Nishimura
Dyspo:
Jiren: Robert McCollum
Toppo:

And I'm struggling on the last two :/ No idea honestly :(

precita
Banned

Re: Predicting Funimation's Super Voices

Post by precita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 pm

All I hope is for Caulifa not to get an annoying voice. Sometimes dub voices can completely change your view of a character.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Any idea who you would want :O

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Vic as Grand Priest never crossed my mind, now you mention it I can see it.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:28 am

precita wrote:All I hope is for Caulifa not to get an annoying voice. Sometimes dub voices can completely change your view of a character.
more annoying then her original voice you cant do

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 am

LOL XD I didn't have issue with the subbed voice. Am I going to be the only one to make a voice cast prediction? Come on guys this is for fun take a shot. Lets see if between everyone we can predict the English Voice Cast for Super's Future Arcs.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 am

As I said in the discussion for 122, my fantasy cast is for Vic to play Dyspo. Firstly, there's the obvious crossover with Bin Shimada since they both play Broly, second because he played Burter in DBZ Kai, another character famous for his boasts of being "fastest in the universe". Even leaving aside the meta stuff, Vic does a good sneering, weaselly voice which I think would fit.

Jiren I'm not too fussed about, he's probably the easiest character to cast and just about anyone could play him (no disrespect to the lucky actor who lands the role though). Deep voice, doesn't talk much, in and out of the booth in under half an hour. Toppo I think is right up Patrick Seitz' alley. That's because Seitz is generally the second choice to play Chris Sabat roles, and Toppo is the definition of a Chris Sabat role.

OP had some good picks for the girls, though I was thinking Cherami Leigh could play Kale. She's got a good range and can play both halves of her personality. I'm actually dreading the thought of Ribrianne being cast in English though. Not because I think whoever they hire couldn't do a good job (Funi has a bunch of actors well suited to play her- Felecia Angelle springs to mind) but because whoever gets cast is going to have to deal with her hatedom.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 am

I think (Funimation wise) Jamie Marchi would be a pretty good choice for Caulifla. I think someone once mentioned that they think Seitz would be a good choice for Jiren. What do you guys think about that? Also, for some reason when I think about The Grand Priest, I think of Aaron Roberts. Maybe it's because he sounds a lot like Ian Sinclair (father son connection).
Caulifla best girl! :)

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am

I know he used to do the voice of pretty much everyone back in the day, but I would love it if Chris Sabat played Toppo in the dub. His All Might/Major Armstrong voice would go so well with Toppo.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm

All I know is that Jamieson Price better voice Toppo. There'd be no one better suited for the role.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Kataphrut wrote:As I said in the discussion for 122, my fantasy cast is for Vic to play Dyspo. Firstly, there's the obvious crossover with Bin Shimada since they both play Broly, second because he played Burter in DBZ Kai, another character famous for his boasts of being "fastest in the universe". Even leaving aside the meta stuff, Vic does a good sneering, weaselly voice which I think would fit.

Jiren I'm not too fussed about, he's probably the easiest character to cast and just about anyone could play him (no disrespect to the lucky actor who lands the role though). Deep voice, doesn't talk much, in and out of the booth in under half an hour. Toppo I think is right up Patrick Seitz' alley. That's because Seitz is generally the second choice to play Chris Sabat roles, and Toppo is the definition of a Chris Sabat role.

OP had some good picks for the girls, though I was thinking Cherami Leigh could play Kale. She's got a good range and can play both halves of her personality. I'm actually dreading the thought of Ribrianne being cast in English though. Not because I think whoever they hire couldn't do a good job (Funi has a bunch of actors well suited to play her- Felecia Angelle springs to mind) but because whoever gets cast is going to have to deal with her hatedom.
I was about to say yesterday that I wouldn't count on Chermai since she hasn't been in much FUNi dubs (or dubs in general) in 2017 since she moved but she had a small cameo role in yesterday's dub episode of the best fall show, Konohana Kitan, so she could maybe moving back to Texas for a bit? I know Vic recently moved back for how long I don't know so it'll be cool if he can show off his proper acting chops in DB similarly Lindsay Seidel recently moved back and she has been killing it in the simuldubs so hopefully she sticks around and can get a part in DBS.

Sabat has got such a great poole to work with cannot wait to see who gets cast for what!

Re: Ribrianne, it'll be fine like with the dub so far everyone would expatiated all negativity, criticism etc from the Japanese broadcast and so when the dub rolls around people already know what to expect and thus can just look forward to the dub. I expect #66 from the dub airing to met more positively than the JPN broadcast, for example.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Asura wrote:All I know is that Jamieson Price better voice Toppo. There'd be no one better suited for the role.
See, I can only imagine Sabat doing his Alex Louise Armstrong voice. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 pm

I still want Chris Sabat to voice Toppo because his voice for All Might would be perfect for Toppo.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: I was about to say yesterday that I wouldn't count on Chermai since she hasn't been in much FUNi dubs (or dubs in general) in 2017 since she moved but she had a small cameo role in yesterday's dub episode of the best fall show, Konohana Kitan, so she could maybe moving back to Texas for a bit? I know Vic recently moved back for how long I don't know so it'll be cool if he can show off his proper acting chops in DB similarly Lindsay Seidel recently moved back and she has been killing it in the simuldubs so hopefully she sticks around and can get a part in DBS.

Sabat has got such a great poole to work with cannot wait to see who gets cast for what!

Re: Ribrianne, it'll be fine like with the dub so far everyone would expatiated all negativity, criticism etc from the Japanese broadcast and so when the dub rolls around people already know what to expect and thus can just look forward to the dub. I expect #66 from the dub airing to met more positively than the JPN broadcast, for example.
Well Cherami is Lucy Heartfilia so if they did cast her she will likely be back in Texas for dubbing on series 3 at this time. So i doubt it will be that big of an issue. Or they might just have her go to the branch studio whete Schemmel does his recording for Goku and Black.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Also i cant believe Sabat slipped my mind for Toppo he would indeed be perfect :D. Who do you giys think should be Jiren?

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:As I said in the discussion for 122, my fantasy cast is for Vic to play Dyspo. Firstly, there's the obvious crossover with Bin Shimada since they both play Broly, second because he played Burter in DBZ Kai, another character famous for his boasts of being "fastest in the universe". Even leaving aside the meta stuff, Vic does a good sneering, weaselly voice which I think would fit.

I was about to say yesterday that I wouldn't count on Chermai since she hasn't been in much FUNi dubs (or dubs in general) in 2017 since she moved but she had a small cameo role in yesterday's dub episode of the best fall show, Konohana Kitan, so she could maybe moving back to Texas for a bit? I know Vic recently moved back for how long I don't know so it'll be cool if he can show off his proper acting chops in DB similarly Lindsay Seidel recently moved back and she has been killing it in the simuldubs so hopefully she sticks around and can get a part in DBS.

Going along with what Baggie_Saiyan said Kataphrut, I don't think you shoud have any dread about it or focus you mind on it. While I never believed the so called Hate Crowd was that big as they made themselves seem to be, Already I have seen a great dropoff of it since 118, mostly I think cause 118 did such a good job with Ribrianne and U2 in writing they gained allot of respect. Also I have come to believe most of the dislike now was like with everything, many being ill-patients for the events going on in the ToP, many just being anxious and now with it coming to an end that has dropped off too.

It seems when the dub roles around fans are more cool head with characters cause they know what has happen and just want to role with how the voice actors come across. Cabba I think at first was not very well recieved by fans when he 1st came around, but by the time the dub came he gain allot of respect and many loved his voice.

I expect the same for Ribiranne, Kale and Caulifla and the others to have simliar response too. Also the dub seems to polish out rough points that came from 1st airing and changes the dialgue up according to get the best results. DB voice acting is top notch the last few years.

I am Excited to see the Voices they are going to be for Ribrianne, Kakunsa and Rozie as well as Kale and Caulifla, it is going to be VERY Interesting but EXCITING! Be cool if any of the U2 girls where voices of Voice Actress that did Magical Girl Characters before, that be Cool! :thumbup: :D
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:36 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Going along with what Baggie_Saiyan said Kataphrut, I don't think you shoud have any dread about it or focus you mind on it. While I never believed the so called Hate Crowd was that big as they made themselves seem to be, Already I have seen a great dropoff of it since 118, mostly I think cause 118 did such a good job with Ribrianne and U2 in writing they gained allot of respect. Also I have come to believe most of the dislike now was like with everything, many being ill-patients for the events going on in the ToP, many just being anxious and now with it coming to an end that has dropped off too.

It seems when the dub roles around fans are more cool head with characters cause they know what has happen and just want to role with how the voice actors come across. Cabba I think at first was not very well recieved by fans when he 1st came around, but by the time the dub came he gain allot of respect and many loved his voice.

I expect the same for Ribiranne, Kale and Caulifla and the others to have simliar response too. Also the dub seems to polish out rough points that came from 1st airing and changes the dialgue up according to get the best results. DB voice acting is top notch the last few years.

I am Excited to see the Voices they are going to be for Ribrianne, Kakunsa and Rozie as well as Kale and Caulifla, it is going to be VERY Interesting but EXCITING! Be cool if any of the U2 girls where voices of Voice Actress that did Magical Girl Characters before, that be Cool! :thumbup: :D
Thats why i chose Cherami and Landa as they both have voiced magical girls :)

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I was about to say yesterday that I wouldn't count on Chermai since she hasn't been in much FUNi dubs (or dubs in general) in 2017 since she moved but she had a small cameo role in yesterday's dub episode of the best fall show, Konohana Kitan, so she could maybe moving back to Texas for a bit? I know Vic recently moved back for how long I don't know so it'll be cool if he can show off his proper acting chops in DB similarly Lindsay Seidel recently moved back and she has been killing it in the simuldubs so hopefully she sticks around and can get a part in DBS.

Thats why i chose Cherami and Landa as they both have voiced magical girls :)
I think those are some Really Interesting and Good chooses rs_chaosmaster, also Choosing 2 ladies that each played a Sailor Moon Character from the Recent Viz Dub is EXTRACT Coolness! :thumbup:

Listening to Both, while I like your chooses for who to play who, Lauren Landa I think would make for a Good Brianne Character and it be interesting to her her as Ribrianne. Also Bonus since she Played Sailor Neptune and both Brianne and Michiru both have the Exactly the same looking Hair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCdWBESaJg4

Cherami Leigh could make a Good Ribrianne too, but I like to hear her as Sanka Ku/Kakunsa maybe more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjb8QhqLH6M

These are just some rough ideas, but they are fun to predict! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Asura wrote:All I know is that Jamieson Price better voice Toppo. There'd be no one better suited for the role.
If they can get him on Toppo, that'd make my life time. Letting Jamieson Price be extremely over-the-top gives me life

Also Darin de Paul would probably suit him too. He'd have to take away the accent he gives Reindhart though.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:06 pm

The Dragonball dub voices are so forced and unnatural it's comedic. Watching Super on Toonami is a roasting session. Ocean dub [Saiyan and Namek arc] was decent.