Predicting Funimation's Super Voices

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Re: Predicting Funimation's Super Voices

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:02 pm

So do we think Zamasu has been recast or is this David Gray an Alias for James Marsters? Also Gowasu is Garrett Schenck who is the voice of Warrod from Fairy Tail. I think this is actually a great casting choice as he is an old sounding man lol XD

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:So do we think Zamasu has been recast or is this David Gray an Alias for James Marsters? Also Gowasu is Garrett Schenck who is the voice of Warrod from Fairy Tail. I think this is actually a great casting choice as he is an old sounding man lol XD
This has been discussed at length in the FUNimation dub thread.

General consensus is because David Gray does not exist as a voice actor (at least with any notable credits), it is highly likely that Marsters is using a pseudonym

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Have Lanipator voice the Universe 6 Namekians.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:02 am

As unlikely as it may be, I would like to hear Johnny Yong Bosch voice Jiren, and here is my reasoning. The Pride Troopers are a parody of Super Sentai, and the American equivalent to Super Sentai is the Power Rangers, and since Johnny Yong Bosch once played the Red Ranger, it would make sense from him to voice Jiren. It's not too much of a stretch since Bosch has done voice work for FUNimation in the past. As for everyone else:

Toppo: Chris Sabat (I like that idea whoever suggested it) or Justin Cook
Dyspo: J. Michael Tatum maybe
Caulifla: Stephanie Young
Kale: Does Vic Mignogna have a sister? If not Brina Palencia
universe 6 Namekians: one of them should be Scott McNeil, the other can be whoever
Ribrianne: Leah Clark

I dunno, these choices probably suck but whatever.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:39 am

EnergizerConvoy wrote:Have Lanipator voice the Universe 6 Namekians.
uncutpokemon wrote: universe 6 Namekians: one of them should be Scott McNeil, the other can be whoever
Having both of these happen would take the meta-nods from Copy Vegeta up to eleven, and it wouldn't even be that hard to do. If they can get Drummond they can get McNeil (apparently he was in One Piece?), and Lanipator is based in Texas and has done work for Funimation.

That said, you would basically have Chris Sabat getting these two well-known alternate Piccolos just so his Piccolo can end up piercing them through the chest. Not that I wouldn't put it past him to do that as a jape.

Also, much as I love Lani, I think having him cast in a meta-nod to a character he only voices in an unofficial parody might send a bad message, especially if it were alongside McNeil. It seems like the sort of thing that might have Toei sending the frighteners around again like they did with Buu Kai.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 am

He was in One Piece? I know he was in the original FMA series, but didn't notice One Piece.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 am

uncutpokemon wrote:He was in One Piece? I know he was in the original FMA series, but didn't notice One Piece.
He was Shiki in One Piece Film: Strong World
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:22 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:As unlikely as it may be, I would like to hear Johnny Yong Bosch voice Jiren, and here is my reasoning. The Pride Troopers are a parody of Super Sentai, and the American equivalent to Super Sentai is the Power Rangers, and since Johnny Yong Bosch once played the Red Ranger, it would make sense from him to voice Jiren. It's not too much of a stretch since Bosch has done voice work for FUNimation in the past. As for everyone else:

Toppo: Chris Sabat (I like that idea whoever suggested it) or Justin Cook
Dyspo: J. Michael Tatum maybe
Caulifla: Stephanie Young
Kale: Does Vic Mignogna have a sister? If not Brina Palencia
universe 6 Namekians: one of them should be Scott McNeil, the other can be whoever
Ribrianne: Leah Clark

I dunno, these choices probably suck but whatever.
Only one i don't think is a good choice is Stephanie Young. Her voice is way too old sounding to be Caulifla. In fact I'm not sure i have heard her voicing a younger character. :/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Bryn Apprill I can see definitely voicing one of the magical girls, as I also predict Felecia and Jill Harris too. I think Saxton may make a decent Kale. I'd love to hear Karbowski and Viktorin pop up somewhere too but not sure what roles for.

Briner I can see definitely playing one of the Pride Troopers. I full expect the likes of Alejandro Saab and Chris Niosi since they're huge fans of DB to be cast as someone I know Chris hasn't been in an actual FUNi in-house dub but we know what Sabat can do.

So many characters in the U.S arc you have all the gods too, excited to hear who pops up where!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Bryn Apprill I can see definitely voicing one of the magical girls, as I also predict Felecia and Jill Harris too. I think Saxton may make a decent Kale. I'd love to hear Karbowski and Viktorin pop up somewhere too but not sure what roles for.

Briner I can see definitely playing one of the Pride Troopers. I full expect the likes of Alejandro Saab and Chris Niosi since they're huge fans of DB to be cast as someone I know Chris hasn't been in an actual FUNi in-house dub but we know what Sabat can do.

So many characters in the U.S arc you have all the gods too, excited to hear who pops up where!
Are Felecia and Jill sisters? Saxton who? Viktorin who?

Technically, Kaggy did voice a Freeza soldier in the Resurrection F arc. Soooo.... Does that count?

Hope we get a DLC pack in Xenoverse 2 with Universe Survival Arc characters so that we can get a glimpse of what some of them sound like.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Bryn Apprill I can see definitely voicing one of the magical girls, as I also predict Felecia and Jill Harris too. I think Saxton may make a decent Kale. I'd love to hear Karbowski and Viktorin pop up somewhere too but not sure what roles for.

Are Felecia and Jill sisters? Saxton who? Viktorin who?

Technically, Kaggy did voice a Freeza soldier in the Resurrection F arc. Soooo.... Does that count?

Hope we get a DLC pack in Xenoverse 2 with Universe Survival Arc characters so that we can get a glimpse of what some of them sound like.
Ahh sorry I've been using first names and second names randomly can see the confusion:
Felecia Angelle she voiced Supereme Kai of Time in XV
Jad Saxton she's a vetren FUNi VA and the same for Alison Viktorin.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Before Funi dropped (and toei and jump gave up on) it, Ian Sinclair did a really good job as Toriko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2X8819Z0-o

I know he's already got Whis but I actually think he'd be a pretty good fit for Jiren. Plus Jiren has barely any dialog so it's not like it would be to much of a strain.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:01 pm

I actually am going to agree with a previous person. I think Jonny Yong Bosch would be a good choice for Jiren. Especially in his Low pitch Ichigo voice or if they wanna go a little different use his Hollow Form Ichigo. Although i doubt this actually happens :/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 pm

For an out of box suggestion I think Briner can pull of a decent Jiren his performance as "Ayanokoji" proves he can play a cold and intimidating person.

Mikaela Krantz could also make a good Caulifla too, so I'll throw her in the hat too. Amber Lee Connors would be another good shout too and she has shown a lot of good range lately eg was shocked to find out she played Mei in citrus yesterday.

Honestly I'd love a BD extra of the U.S arc where Sabat discusses how he went about casting all these characters.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Now that I've heard more of her work as 21, I think Jeannie Tirado would be great as Kale! :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Since Sabat managed to get Drummond for Copy Vegeta, it'd be cool if he got Scott McNeil to play Quitela. I can imagine his Rattrap voice fitting perfectly.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Is it weird that I don't want Kefla to be in FighterZ because I don't want that to be the introduction to Caulifla and Kale in the dub? As in, I want them to be in the game and I'm sure they will be, but I don't want them to be fused unless it's an in-game transformation.

Think about it, that game will likely be their English-speaking debut, and we'd only get the hybrid voice where you can't easily distinguish the actors and Kale's personality is non-existent. It''ll be such a weird introduction to the first female Super Saiyans for English-speaking audiences.

Of course the production side of the game doesn't care about that and I think most people would rather plays as Kefla than the other two in a fighting game. But still. It may not matter to most but it matters to me :lol:

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:11 am

I just had a great idea for Kale, Maxey Whitehead! Her only voice in the DB series is playing Dende in the Kai dub as a child, so she's not been used much. And if you can't figure out why she would be a good choice for Kale, look up some of her work with the guy that played Broly and you'll figure it out instantly.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am

Kataphrut wrote:Is it weird that I don't want Kefla to be in FighterZ because I don't want that to be the introduction to Caulifla and Kale in the dub? As in, I want them to be in the game and I'm sure they will be, but I don't want them to be fused unless it's an in-game transformation.

Think about it, that game will likely be their English-speaking debut, and we'd only get the hybrid voice where you can't easily distinguish the actors and Kale's personality is non-existent. It''ll be such a weird introduction to the first female Super Saiyans for English-speaking audiences.

Of course the production side of the game doesn't care about that and I think most people would rather plays as Kefla than the other two in a fighting game. But still. It may not matter to most but it matters to me :lol:
Actually I think most people would rather play Caulifla with a Kale assist over playing Kefla. It doesn’t seem like Kefla was very well liked (although she did win over people, myself included, in 116).