Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:56 am

Honestly, said this before, but I think Gohan did fine. Again, it's not as if he had been training or fighting for a certain period of time unlike Goku, Vegeta or even Future Trunks. He did quite well for someone who has not been doing anything combat related for the majority of the show.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:19 am

Unless Freeza takes down Toppo or plays a major role in Jiren going out then Gohan will have done better than him, something we all should be happy about as he'll be U7 3rd most useful fighter.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:30 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Image

False promises.

Just like how we were told Caulfila would become a SSJ3, this went nowhere. Unless they have something big planned for when/if Super returns.
I just rewatched that episode, and with hindsight, it feels like what that line was specifically trying to say was "Gohan is not aiming to try get Blue". There were no points in the tournament where Gohan was specifically saying he was trying to reach a new level of power. I mean, neither did Vegeta, but his power-up didn't even need to be a visibly-different form.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 am

precita wrote:Welp, I guess that's it. I officially give up on Gohan, I'm never believing the hype again. This was their last chance to bring him back into the fold and they blew it.
:wtf: Did...did we see the same show ? Going up against Goku, playing a role in taking out 3 universes, taking down u11's 3rd strongest warrior to name a few and they blew it ? :wtf:

If living up to hype=taking down the main villain then they've messed everyone up including Goku.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:29 am

sintzu wrote:If living up to hype=taking down the main villain then they've messed everyone up including Goku.
Well, I can see where precita's coming from. Gohan, honestly, didn't have that much of a memorable moment even during his fights. He didn't get that badass "overpowering" moment he had against Cell or Super Buu that would redeem him in the eyes of many.

His fight against U6 Namekians was nice, but besides him protecting Piccolo, it didn't have any scenes worth remembering.

As for Obuni, Toei should have build him up before. He came out of nowhere and nobody expected an U10 random to be actually that strong.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 am

He didn't get that badass "overpowering" moment he had against Cell or Super Buu that would redeem him in the eyes of many.
Yeah, because it took Cell to actually crush the skull of Gohan's friend for him to get mad. Such a disgusting and tragic event hasn't happened because Dyspo, Jiren and Toppo are not sadistic psycopaths like Cell.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 am

Xeogran wrote:Well, I can see where precita's coming from.
I'd understand if we were talking about Gohan throughout Super as what he got here won't make up for the previous FOUR (how the hell do you leave someone that important out of that many arcs ?) but this arc on its own did a good (not perfect) job with him and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 am

I'm not holding my breath for anything long term with Gohan. His record since Super's inception has been checkered at best. Toriyama couldn't even go to the trouble of properly fleshing out the young Saiyan's return to form in this recent chapter. His role now seems greater than it was during the RoF arc, but it still pales in comparison to what he accomplished during the Cell Games. To be fair, I doubt we'll ever see that standard of tangible involvement and meaning from Gohan again. He provides the occasional pillar of support to his father and Vegeta during serious incidents (discounting the Future Trunks arc), but he's otherwise been relegated to a background role.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:26 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
He didn't get that badass "overpowering" moment he had against Cell or Super Buu that would redeem him in the eyes of many.
Yeah, because it took Cell to actually crush the skull of Gohan's friend for him to get mad. Such a disgusting and tragic event hasn't happened because Dyspo, Jiren and Toppo are not sadistic psycopaths like Cell.
Friend?
Android 16 was a robot that Gohan new for all of two minutes and didn't interact with outside of his last moments, how the hell could they be considered friends?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 am

JazzMazz wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Friend?
Android 16 was a robot that Gohan new for all of two minutes and didn't interact with outside of his last moments, how the hell could they be considered friends?
Ok then, explain to me how Gohan would 'break through his shell', 'surpass his limits', 'have a cool new transformation'. Tell me what catastrophic and mastodontic event would trigger in Gohan the strength to go beyond his current limits.

Go ahead, i'm listening.

Get a grip, Gohan fans. He was never meant for greatness, and he will never achieve it.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:34 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Friend?
Ok then, explain to me how Gohan would 'break through his shell', 'surpass his limits', 'have a cool new transformation'. Tell me what catastrophic and mastodontic factor would trigger in Gohan the strength to go beyond his current limits.

Go ahead, i'm listening.
Because the plot demanded it.

That's it.

Could you now explain to me how 16 and Gohan are friends depite only ever having one real interaction with one another and not knowing or caring about each other before said moment?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:42 am

Because the plot demanded it.

That's it.
That's the only explanation you have? Oh my Zamasu, Gohan truly is a miserable character then.
Could you now explain to me how 16 and Gohan are friends depite only ever having one real interaction with one another and not knowing or caring about each other before said moment?
Quit with the nitpicking, please. My point is still correct. There are has been no event so far in the Tournament of Power that has shattered Gohan on a personal level. And don't mention Obuni, because Gohan 'mourned' his family for two seconds, he clearly wasn't shocked by it. Whereas he was actually shocked and devastated by the death of Android 16, because they might have not been friends, but their standpoints were quite similiar; 16's sentimental speech obviously motivated Gohan a lot, but the fact he also had to witness 16 blow up and get crushed in front of his very eyes obviously pushed him beyond his limits, since it was a gruesome scene. And also because he had just been watching his worthless friends get tortured by a bunch of Cell Jrs.

But let's not add stupid power-ups just because Gohan fans cling to a remote past. Gohan played a pivotal role in the erasure of Universe 6 and 10, and in the final battle against Universe 11. He came in 7th place in a tournament comprised of 80 fighters. That's more than Tien, Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo. and 18 have accomplished.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:That's more than Tien, Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo. and 18 have accomplished.
Can't say I agree with this. Master Roshi's showings were awesome and he almost soloed a whole Universe (4), notably their strongest members.

18 likewise did great against U2 and U11's Pride Troopers, showing her determination. And then, it was her sacrifice via proxy that led to Anilaza's downfall.

Piccolo and Gohan were together for most of the time and their victories were a team effort.

Can't defend Tien or Krillin, both went out anticlimatically.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 am

Well, it looks like any sort of redeeming will have to wait for another series. Gohan's still a young adult, so there's plenty of time for him if there's a continuation down the road.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Gohan did okay overall IMO. He managed to coordinate a dysfunctional team as best as he could, and had some great strategies/fights.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Xeogran wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:That's more than Tien, Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo. and 18 have accomplished.
Can't say I agree with this. Master Roshi's showings were awesome and he almost soloed a whole Universe (4), notably their strongest members.

18 likewise did great against U2 and U11's Pride Troopers, showing her determination. And then, it was her sacrifice via proxy that led to Anilaza's downfall.

Piccolo and Gohan were together for most of the time and their victories were a team effort.

Can't defend Tien or Krillin, both went out anticlimatically.
But, we have give credit where credit is due. Gohan has done in this tournament. He may not have gotten the flashy win, but he has done his part. I think that people who saying this ruins the series are living in the moment and need to calm down.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Good thing Gohan did go down with Dyspo, GoD Toppo would have humiliated him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Good thing Gohan did go down with Dyspo, GoD Toppo would have humiliated him.
Yeah, Gohan really dodged a bullet.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Good thing Gohan did go down with Dyspo, GoD Toppo would have humiliated him.
Probably Toppo would be disclassified for killing Gohan, lol

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Kanious wrote:
Probably Toppo would be disclassified for killing Gohan, lol
Yeah Golden Frieza is pretty tough so it would be easy for Toppo to not kill him. Gohan on the other hand......well most mortals a pretty fragile...would not be worth the risk.