Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Kanious wrote: But Gohan struggled against that guy, and it was a great fight, and Gohan is the less experienced fighter from the entire team. It would look really weird for him to have a big climax, and also it would be out of character after the way he was built in this arc. Maybe he will help Freeza to take down Dyspo, but i don't see him knocking out anyone alone. All the fighters from U11 that are left are veterans, and these should be left for the veterans of U7.
Gohan also had a good showing against Kochiarator at the end of 120.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by Lionel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I feel like the notion of "experience" is a bit overplayed for some of these alleged "veteran" fighters. When you scrutinise the contents of their resume you'll actually find only a minimal amount of active service duty from some of them. Freeza has never been forced to train at all in his life. In his words, Cold was the only being to ever scuff him. He's otherwise been delegating the labour of combat to his subordinates. You then have #17 and 18. Does this even need to be explained? They were kidnapped early on and had experimentations performed on them. Up until the Cell arc it's assumed that they were kept in stasis until the time came for them to be used. What we saw in the arc along with the few bits given to #18 in the Buu arc and some aggressive poachers defines the brunt of their "experience". It was never actually explained in the manga how they were able to fight so methodically against these "veteran" fighters. You just have two random human teenagers trading blows with the Z-fighters. One other example is Vegeta whom I already cited in a previous post. When you consider everything Gohan has been through since the beginning of Z, I'd say that constitutes as having experience; at least as much as any of the other characters who have seen a moderate degree of combat.

There is no guarantee that Gohan will receive an epic pivotal moment. It's at the discretion of the studio if they want him to be given something momentous like some of the others have gotten. But to say that Gohan's moment came and went against Obuni or the Namekians (fighters who many people believe should have been exclusively reserved for Piccolo since that was his best performance) sounds a bit like he's being short-changed. Were other people making these conclusions when #17 got to defeat one of the Kamikaze Fireballs or when Freeza was able to finally humiliate a Super Saiyan with Cabba (admittedly I don't care for #17 myself and would have been okay with seeing him leave so I may not be the best poster for making this type of comment)? Doubtful. People were certainly hoping for their performance to play to conventional expectations and have them receive something grandiose. Why can't Gohan receive the same against one of the big names of the Pride Troopers? I think he has enough identity and positional team leverage to warrant the effort.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm

I can't believe people are satisfied with Gohan taking out random mooks. Gohan needs to take out a character of significance.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 am

precita wrote:I can't believe people are satisfied with Gohan taking out random mooks. Gohan needs to take out a character of significance.
Episode 124 Gohan's LAST Stand

Oh my :o
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:22 am

Gohan needs to take out both Dyspo and Toppo.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:15 am

Gohan eliminating the next U11 God of Destruction Toppo would be the writers gifting Gohan a W instead of the story building up to him deserving the W. What I mean is that Gohan did train right before the ToP with Piccolo but that's not enough to get you to a level where you can take out Toppo. I think Gohan has done fine for himself for this ToP. He was in the final 10 which is a victory itself. As a Gohan fan, I'm content with that considering how far he'd fallen.

Doesn't Gohan feel a bit misplaced based on Episode 124 preview? He was just fighting Toppo and now he's moving over to join Frieza against Dyspo. This odd placement of Gohan here at the end shows that his time should be up
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:28 am

I'm still hanging on to this little gem: "Let's go together... even further ahead." ~ Goku to Gohan, DBS Episode #90.

Next episode title (#124) has got to be something of a red herring. I'm with precita -- Gohan going out after only having taken out much less significant combatants would be extremely anti-climactic after there's been this attempt to build him back up, imo. We haven't even seen the true Gohan yet during all of this... the Gohan (when in fighting form) that gets backed into a corner when there's no option. I will agree, however, with anyone that's said that Gohan's portrayal up to now hasn't been so impressive (over-reliance on deferring to Piccolo and others to take the lead), but it's completely in character.

I don't see #17 outlasting Gohan, for sure. That would be a very odd choice of writing, imo. #17 appears to be content about being eliminated going by his attempt to take out Toppo. I don't see Gohan going into the stands next episode.
BWri wrote:Episode 124 Gohan's LAST Stand

Oh my :o
No no. It's LAST Stand-ing. The TOEI people messed it up! :p

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Everytime a preview hinted at a character losing in a preview (Vegeta, 17, etc) they don't. The fact that it says Gohan's last stand doesn't mean he will lose.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Gohan is going to sacrifice himself to knock out the bunny man. Android 17 will probably outlast this terrible character.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 pm

If Gohan does get some good wins in people will give up on his character entirely going forward. This is "do or die time," "make or break time" and "the final straw" time for Gohan.

It's now or never.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:06 pm

precita wrote:If Gohan does get some good wins in people will give up on his character entirely going forward. This is "do or die time," "make or break time" and "the final straw" time for Gohan.

It's now or never.
It isn't. That's you being a drama queen.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

supercat

Post by supercat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Gohan's contributed a good amount at this point. He has far more notable victories under his belt than both 17 and Frieza combined. At this point, I feel there isn't much left for him to offer. Another transformation would come off a bit too forced as would defeating a powerhouse like Toppo.

Honestly, both 17 and Frieza seem to have a lot more to offer in terms of power and as characters in general. There's so much that can still be explored with them while there really isn't much going on for Gohan. His fights are boring and redundant as are his whiny rants. He always seems to need some kind of guidance or pep talk to keep his motivation heightened.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Has Gohan contributed a lot to this arc? In some ways yes and in some ways no but it really feels like they need to do something pivotal or the build up will feel wasted. I’m Of the opinion that Gohan being backed into a corner has to trigger something because that’s Gohan’s MO. It’s what Goku counted on in the Cell Saga and while Gohan’s burst of power reduced after that, it doesn’t feel like they went away. Like a lot of others, I’m clinging to Goku’s statement “Lets go together...even further ahead” too.

As for his power boost from Super Saiyan level to current, truthfully, it doesn’t bother me, at least for Gohan. This is the same character that went from no training at all when introduced at age 4 to being able to survive against Vegeta in a year’s time. This is the same character that went from struggling against Freeza’s minions to being able to thrash 2nd Form Freeza (though briefly) and if you include filler, holding his own against Final Form Freeza, although again briefly. He went from being nowhere near Super Saiyan to achieving it, maintaining Full Power Super Saiyan to surpassing it into Super Saiyan 2 in less than a year.

Gohan’s shtick has always been insane power climbs in ridiculous short periods of time. They always singled him out as being some type of power prodigy and I doubt that’s just disappeared.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Gohan might beat Dyspo in this weeks ep, but it isn't enough. He also needs to help or contribute to taking down Toppo.

We Gohan fans like to have our cake and eat it too.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:19 pm

precita wrote:Gohan might beat Dyspo in this weeks ep, but it isn't enough. He also needs to help or contribute to taking down Toppo.

Like, I guess that would be cool and all, but he doesn't need to beat Toppo or even fight him for that matter, and this is coming from a heavy weight gohan supporter here, make him fight Toppo, he will only get shredded, bad, and after he has been so goddam cool this entire arc I am not keen on seeing him get torn apart at the end..
My way, he doesn't involve himself to a high degree and keep contributing to the strength in numbers..

Either way, dyspo is going out, he ain't shit but speed and tricks..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:27 pm

See, thing is is they buff up Vegeta to fight alongside Goku, and now Gohan's big fight will probably be against Dyspo, who has done nothing but get dunked up an ran away this whole tournament. Dyspo doesn't feel like much of a threat at all. What would be more cool for Gohan is if all three saiyans teamed up against Jiren, but I'm almost sure it'll just be Goku and Vegeta.

Gohan has done things this arc, sure. Problem is the things he does are mostly stupid, like punching Botamo out, and fighting characters who could be cooler, but the plot rushes through like the Namekians and Obuni.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm

precita wrote:Gohan might beat Dyspo in this weeks ep, but it isn't enough. He also needs to help or contribute to taking down Toppo.

Gohan taking down Dyspo and then getting KOed would be perfect for his character. He doesn't need to take out Toppo. The more I now think about it, the more taking out Toppo doesn't make any sense. Gohan should be powerful enough to take out Dyspo, but not someone who is supposedly GoD level like Toppo is. Dyspo is one of the three major antagonists that have been hyped from the beginning of the tournament, so if Gohan can take him out, I think that will make him live up to the hype of the arc.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm

precita wrote:Gohan needs to take out both Dyspo and Toppo.
Gohan needs to take out Jiren, you guys! And that will only be a temporary fix until he has his big showdown with El Grande Padre.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Asura wrote:Gohan taking down Dyspo and then getting KOed would be perfect for his character. He doesn't need to take out Toppo. The more I now think about it, the more taking out Toppo doesn't make any sense. Gohan should be powerful enough to take out Dyspo, but not someone who is supposedly GoD level like Toppo is. Dyspo is one of the three major antagonists that have been hyped from the beginning of the tournament, so if Gohan can take him out, I think that will make him live up to the hype of the arc.
I would agree with this notion, but, by this logic, No. 17 and Freeza are also done getting eliminations and (unless Freeza's plan comes to fruition) only serve to get eliminated at this point, as only Gokū and potentially Vegeta will be capable of doing anything to Top, let alone Jiren.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:
precita wrote:Gohan needs to take out both Dyspo and Toppo.
Gohan needs to take out Jiren, you guys! And that will only be a temporary fix until he has his big showdown with El Grande Padre.
He needs to defeat Goku and the rest of U7 as well(including Tien again who is not in the arena),Gohan needs the points to be tournament MVP and get the Super Dragon Balls.