Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 am

I am very inclined to post gohan blanco meme.But,I will just leave it at that gohan went from not being able to transform into ssj to blue tier.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 am

I'm sure he won't be defeating Toppo

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 am

A leaked image from episode 124 did show Gohan [spoiler]suffocating Dyspo with his hands[/spoiler]

Now i think that he will sacrifice himself and Frieza will take them both. This would redeem Gohan if he makes #17 fall in vain.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 am

The last left will clearly be Vegeta, Goku and Frieza. Gohan will not defeat Toppo as ridiculous as it is. Toppo has apparentley had God of Destruction level power he's been hiding all this time. Judging from how he ate the Kamehameha Wave(ridiculous considering Goku's Wave actually did damage to Toppo in SSB mode and Gohan is right on SSB level). But unfortunately I feel his redemption will not be against Toppo. I feel Frieza will take Toppo. 17 will be out next episode. And Gohan out in either 124 or 5 likely taking out Dyspo before being eliminated.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 am

ernesth100 wrote:The last left will clearly be Vegeta, Goku and Frieza. Gohan will not defeat Toppo as ridiculous as it is. Toppo has apparentley had God of Destruction level power he's been hiding all this time. Judging from how he ate the Kamehameha Wave(ridiculous considering Goku's Wave actually did damage to Toppo in SSB mode and Gohan is right on SSB level). But unfortunately I feel his redemption will not be against Toppo. I feel Frieza will take Toppo. 17 will be out next episode. And Gohan out in either 124 or 5 likely taking out Dyspo before being eliminated.
‘Rival’ doesn’t mean equal. Like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is said to rival the gods, but it’s laughably weak to any God of Destruction.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 am

HeroR wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:The last left will clearly be Vegeta, Goku and Frieza. Gohan will not defeat Toppo as ridiculous as it is. Toppo has apparentley had God of Destruction level power he's been hiding all this time. Judging from how he ate the Kamehameha Wave(ridiculous considering Goku's Wave actually did damage to Toppo in SSB mode and Gohan is right on SSB level). But unfortunately I feel his redemption will not be against Toppo. I feel Frieza will take Toppo. 17 will be out next episode. And Gohan out in either 124 or 5 likely taking out Dyspo before being eliminated.
‘Rival’ doesn’t mean equal. Like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is said to rival the gods, but it’s laughably weak to any God of Destruction.
You're absolutely right. But we haven't even seen Goku use Blue against Beerus or any god of destruction so we wouldn't know how he'd fair. Hell Beerus seemed slightly concerned seeing the Kaio Ken for the first time. It has also been shown time and time again that an angered SSJ can actually pose a challenge Beerus(not at full power but progress is progress) as shown by Vegeta and Goku in the BotG movie.

Now taking that into canon. It's safe to say the SSB Goku now would definately do considerable damage and perhaps even force Beerus to take him seriously and go full power. Not win, but do damage. We also see Vegeta going toe to toe with Toppo. And based on power scaling between these 3 sayains I just have a hard time believing that Gohan wouldn't be able to atleast scratch Toppo.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm

ernesth100 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
You're absolutely right. But we haven't even seen Goku use Blue against Beerus or any god of destruction so we wouldn't know how he'd fair. Hell Beerus seemed slightly concerned seeing the Kaio Ken for the first time. It has also been shown time and time again that an angered SSJ can actually pose a challenge Beerus(not at full power but progress is progress) as shown by Vegeta and Goku in the BotG movie.

Now taking that into canon. It's safe to say the SSB Goku now would definately do considerable damage and perhaps even force Beerus to take him seriously and go full power. Not win, but do damage. We also see Vegeta going toe to toe with Toppo. And based on power scaling between these 3 sayains I just have a hard time believing that Gohan wouldn't be able to atleast scratch Toppo.
Given what Jiren did to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, Beerus can easily do the same. Whis didn’t call Jiren stronger than a God of Destruction until Goku used the Blue Kaioken x20 with a Spirit Bomb.

Gohan has always been below Goku and Vegeta. He struggled with Super Saiyan 2 Goku and never forced him to go all out. Gohan had to beg Goku. Even then, one of the writers of Super put Gohan on the same level as 17.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 pm

But that makes even less sense because then 17 is shown keeping up with Blue Goku. :eh:

Edit: And you're still right. Gohan isn't on SSB level. But he's rivaling/pushing that point. All I'm really honestly concerned with is the fact that the Kamehameha had zero effect on Toppo. And this means that after all this time and training Gohan is actually weaker than originally assumed. I thought he'd be pushing Kiao-Ken x20 Blue level after reattaining his Mystic Form. But alas, I'm not one to be too headstrong to admit my moments of poor judgement.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

ernesth100 wrote:But that makes even less sense because then 17 is shown keeping up with Blue Goku. :eh:

Edit: And you're still right. Gohan isn't on SSB level. But he's rivaling/pushing that point. All I'm really honestly concerned with is the fact that the Kamehameha had zero effect on Toppo. And this means that after all this time and training Gohan is actually weaker than originally assumed. I thought he'd be pushing Kiao-Ken x20 Blue level after reattaining his Mystic Form. But alas, I'm not one to be too headstrong to admit my moments of poor judgement.
Goku who was holding back.

Rival is broad. And how did you scale Gohan that high?
Kanassa wrote:

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:29 pm

HeroR wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:But that makes even less sense because then 17 is shown keeping up with Blue Goku. :eh:

Goku who was holding back.

Rival is broad. And how did you scale Gohan that high?
My expectations jumped ahead of the facts. :lol:

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I've been pleased with what I've seen from Gohan in this tournament. Gohan isn't a character I'm particularly fond of in general, but I've enjoyed him.

I would like to see him eliminate Toppo though.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:41 pm

I could see him eliminating Toppo as a team effort with Freeza and 17. Hence needing Freeza.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:11 pm

If Gohan doesn't take out Toppo his whole role in this tournament will be for naught. Where is Gohan's exciting climax?

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:15 pm

precita wrote:If Gohan doesn't take out Toppo his whole role in this tournament will be for naught. Where is Gohan's exciting climax?
At this point just wait and see what happens. We know nothing about any of these outcomes.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:22 pm

precita wrote:If Gohan doesn't take out Toppo his whole role in this tournament will be for naught. Where is Gohan's exciting climax?
Who said Gohan was going to get an exciting climax?
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 pm

HeroR wrote:
Then why is he still here this late in the tournament and why wouldn't he get a exciting climax when most other characters did?

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 pm

precita wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Then why is he still here this late in the tournament and why wouldn't he get a exciting climax when most other characters did?
he already had it. The Obuni fight and the one with the two namekians. And not all characters shined. Look at Tien.

Maybe he will do things against Dyspo and Toppo that will look cool to us while we are watching, but in the end he will be thrown away as these characters are on another level.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 am

I wouldn't say he was hiding it. He's been stated multiple times to be a GoD candidate and we know he was holding back in that fight with Goku (so was Goku). He's really just unleashing it all now, showing us what he can really do and I CAN'T WAIT! Toppo kinda reminds me of Old Man Mosquito from Soul Eater. I find them both to be bad***.
TheZFighter wrote:I've been pleased with what I've seen from Gohan in this tournament. Gohan isn't a character I'm particularly fond of in general, but I've enjoyed him.

I would like to see him eliminate Toppo though.
This arc just shows me that Toei and Toriyama don't have much for Gohan to do. They don't really know how to handle the bad*** genius style of character. And Gohan is too grounded and kinda no-nonsense like Piccolo and Future Trunks, now that he's gotten over his arrogance. I love this type of character, almost like Kenshiro from Hokuto no Ken but more compassionate, but I think Toriyama &/or Toei find it boring or troublesome so they don't showcase him too often. Aside from not having rage boosts, he's kinda like a calmer version of his kid self and is treated as such. I hope he does something really cool and important by the end of the arc.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Kanious wrote:
precita wrote:
HeroR wrote:
he already had it. The Obuni fight and the one with the two namekians. And not all characters shined. Look at Tien.

Maybe he will do things against Dyspo and Toppo that will look cool to us while we are watching, but in the end he will be thrown away as these characters are on another level.
The Obuni fight is part of Gohan’s exciting climax? What is exciting about taking out some random guy that’s introduced and eliminated in the same episode from a complete fodder universe? Likewise, the Namekians weren’t a very big threat either.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Asura wrote:
The Obuni fight is part of Gohan’s exciting climax? What is exciting about taking out some random guy that’s introduced and eliminated in the same episode from a complete fodder universe? Likewise, the Namekians weren’t a very big threat either.
But Gohan struggled against that guy, and it was a great fight, and Gohan is the less experienced fighter from the entire team. It would look really weird for him to have a big climax, and also it would be out of character after the way he was built in this arc. Maybe he will help Freeza to take down Dyspo, but i don't see him knocking out anyone alone. All the fighters from U11 that are left are veterans, and these should be left for the veterans of U7.