Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by The gr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Gohan blanco no tiene una oportunidad contra el hermano Jiren o el Gran padre,lo parten en pedasos como papel .
    Gohan is fine with this arc,he had a lot of screentime and point so is fine if he don't take out Toppo or Jiren.
    Mostly active on discord.

Asura
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does my boy Gohan have to beat Toppo in order to be "redeemed" and live up to the hype of this arc?

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
    Asura wrote:Gohan taking down Dyspo and then getting KOed would be perfect for his character. He doesn't need to take out Toppo. The more I now think about it, the more taking out Toppo doesn't make any sense. Gohan should be powerful enough to take out Dyspo, but not someone who is supposedly GoD level like Toppo is. Dyspo is one of the three major antagonists that have been hyped from the beginning of the tournament, so if Gohan can take him out, I think that will make him live up to the hype of the arc.
    I would agree with this notion, but, by this logic, No. 17 and Freeza are also done getting eliminations and (unless Freeza's plan comes to fruition) only serve to get eliminated at this point, as only Gokū and potentially Vegeta will be capable of doing anything to Top, let alone Jiren.
    Freeza can easily take on Toppo. I think that match-up makes the most sense anyway. Pure justice vs pure evil.

Black Hawk
    Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Asura wrote:Freeza can easily take on Toppo. I think that match-up makes the most sense anyway. Pure justice vs pure evil.
    I do agree that pure evil vs. pure justice would make things a lot more interesting, but if Top is truly on-par with a destroyer deity, be it Belmod or Beerus, then even Golden Freeza can't compete with him, as per Toriyama's implication that Freeza cannot ever even hope to match Beerus. I hope I'm wrong, because Freeza vs. Top would be great and it's the only other way Top could be taken care of while Gokū and Vegeta deal with Jiren (otherwise they'd have to deal with both Jiren and Top), but I have a hard time believing it might happen...
    "Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
    Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
    Asura wrote:Freeza can easily take on Toppo. I think that match-up makes the most sense anyway. Pure justice vs pure evil.
    I do agree that pure evil vs. pure justice would make things a lot more interesting, but if Top is truly on-par with a destroyer deity, be it Belmod or Beerus, then even Golden Freeza can't compete with him, as per Toriyama's implication that Freeza cannot ever even hope to match Beerus. I hope I'm wrong, because Freeza vs. Top would be great and it's the only other way Top could be taken care of while Gokū and Vegeta deal with Jiren (otherwise they'd have to deal with both Jiren and Top), but I have a hard time believing it might happen...
    I don't think Toppo is as strong as Beerus given how the match between him and Goku went in the exhibition matches. I think Freeza should be on the same level as Toppo.

Black Hawk
    Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Asura wrote:I don't think Toppo is as strong as Beerus given how the match between him and Goku went in the exhibition matches. I think Freeza should be on the same level as Toppo.
    Perhaps I'm reading too much into the title of Episode 125.

My thought process was that I don't see any way for Universe Seven to win the tournament if Top really does reach the realm of power of the destroyer deities and both he and Jiren are still in the tournament. I've had the idea in the back of my mind for a while now that Gohan's previously alluded-to new "ultimate form different from my dad's" might end up being what keeps Top at bay or even eliminates him while Gokū and Vegeta deal with Jiren. I have zero belief that they could deal with Jiren and Top at the same time. Of course, we still don't yet know if Gohan-kun is really out.

The only other way I see Universe Seven possibly securing victory is if Gokū perfects Ultra Instinct Omen and takes on Jiren alone while Vegeta deals with Top after 17 and Freeza are out. Of course, it could be that Universe Seven was never going to win and Universe Eleven is simply too powerful.

TheZFighter
    Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 am

BWri wrote:This arc just shows me that Toei and Toriyama don't have much for Gohan to do. They don't really know how to handle the bad*** genius style of character. And Gohan is too grounded and kinda no-nonsense like Piccolo and Future Trunks, now that he's gotten over his arrogance. I love this type of character, almost like Kenshiro from Hokuto no Ken but more compassionate, but I think Toriyama &/or Toei find it boring or troublesome so they don't showcase him too often. Aside from not having rage boosts, he's kinda like a calmer version of his kid self and is treated as such. I hope he does something really cool and important by the end of the arc.
    Yeah I'd go along with this.

I never really had any time for Gohan when he was a child or a younger teen, but ever since he had his power unlocked by Elder Kai I've been a fan. Especially now, I find him much easier to relate to.

I'd love to see at least one more great moment from him in this tournament, I think he deserves it.
    Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 am

TheZFighter wrote:
    BWri wrote:This arc just shows me that Toei and Toriyama don't have much for Gohan to do. They don't really know how to handle the bad*** genius style of character. And Gohan is too grounded and kinda no-nonsense like Piccolo and Future Trunks, now that he's gotten over his arrogance. I love this type of character, almost like Kenshiro from Hokuto no Ken but more compassionate, but I think Toriyama &/or Toei find it boring or troublesome so they don't showcase him too often. Aside from not having rage boosts, he's kinda like a calmer version of his kid self and is treated as such. I hope he does something really cool and important by the end of the arc.
    Yeah I'd go along with this.

I never really had any time for Gohan when he was a child or a younger teen, but ever since he had his power unlocked by Elder Kai I've been a fan. Especially now, I find him much easier to relate to.

I'd love to see at least one more great moment from him in this tournament, I think he deserves it.
    I felt the same as you about kid Gohan, but I only liked adult Gohan at the very start of the Buu arc with the slice of life stuff. I liked his fight with Dabura as well. Both versions of Gohan have grown on me over the years though and like you, I find him relateable and want to see him do well in the future. I think he has all the tools to be one of the best characters in the series if used correctly.
    Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:30 pm

People may not realise it but Gohan has erased 2 universes and defeated many opponents by using tactics. That's Gohan's story in this arc:

1. He is a competent fighter in terms of strength AND STRATEGY.
    2. Embrace his Saiyan battle instincts without the battle lust and arrogance that cost him against Cell and Super Buu.

Gohan has been redeemed and could be eliminated thus episode 124.

Torturephile
    Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Gohan didn't lose in a draw against Dyspo, he just casted an image of himself on the spectator stand. He will turn into Gohan Blanco and beat the Grand Dad on episode 129.
    From Super episode 113 thread:
    MaskedRider wrote:
    Torturephile wrote:
    hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
    namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
    The fandom in a nutshell.
    The duality of man.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Torturephile wrote:Gohan didn't lose in a draw against Dyspo, he just casted an image of himself on the spectator stand. He will turn into Gohan Blanco and beat the Grand Dad on episode 129.
    It was just a clone. He's still there along with Piccolo, Hit, and Tien.
    Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:54 pm

False promises.

Just like how we were told Caulfila would become a SSJ3, this went nowhere. Unless they have something big planned for when/if Super returns.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Image

False promises.

Just like how we were told Caulfila would become a SSJ3, this went nowhere. Unless they have something big planned for when/if Super returns.
    You all were setting yourself for disappointment if you believed that. That is same as Freeza saying he will rule or control the gods(dont remember his exact words). It is there for the sake of being there. Freeza wont control the gods or w/e. He will get his ass kicked by GoD Toppo and get thrown in the bleachers along with 17.

You all are taking every sentence way to seriously.

Also, Caulifla wanted to get ssj3, doesnt mean she will get it. I dont remember an episode being titled, Caulifla gets ssj3 or a narrator saying Caulifla power keeps on growing, will she get ssj3?!. Etc.

Kanious
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Finally! As I said in earlier posts, DBS has been consistent about Gohan's power, and i'm happy that they didn't screw with undeserved powerups out of nowhere. The HYPE were ANYTHING but fabrications of the mind of his fans.

Guess Gohan's fans are mad, right now.

The saddest part is that if we'll not get a new DB series... this will mean that Gohan will not shine again. I don't like Gohan as he is right now, but i had hopes to see him shining in a new arc :(
    Last edited by Kanious on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Welp, I guess that's it. I officially give up on Gohan, I'm never believing the hype again. With the show going on hiatus it'll be too long to wait for him to do anything again, so that's it.

Gohan will never be relevant again. This was their last chance to bring him back into the fold and they blew it.

JulieYBM
    Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Thank God, no more Gohan. Go back to just being a salaryman who is a decent dad, please. Let's let the weirdos get more focus.
    She/Her
    progesterone princess, estradiol empress
    bisexual milf

BlueBasilisk
    I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 pm

precita wrote:Welp, I guess that's it. I officially give up on Gohan, I'm never believing the hype again. With the show going on hiatus it'll be too long to wait for him to do anything again, so that's it.

Gohan will never be relevant again. This was their last chance to bring him back into the fold and they blew it.
    Gohan had more relevance in this arc than he did in the entire Buu saga. He actually won a goddamn fight.

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
    precita wrote:Welp, I guess that's it. I officially give up on Gohan, I'm never believing the hype again. With the show going on hiatus it'll be too long to wait for him to do anything again, so that's it.

Gohan had more relevance in this arc than he did in the entire Buu saga. He actually won a goddamn fight.
    For me it's not just winning a fight, Gohan was in constant focus in the Buu arc besides when they were spending time on Gotenks and then the tail-end.

Black Hawk
    Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 pm

While I don't believe Gohan-kun got anywhere near what he deserved, I never set my hopes too terribly high, so I'm oddly not as disappointed as I thought I would be. I'm very pleased with how he performed in the tournament, taking out the likes of Obuni (ending Universe 10), Saonail and Pilina (ending Universe 6), and Agnlasa (ending Universe 3 in a team effort), and now Dispo, crippling Universe 11; for the vast majority of Super, I'd believed that he'd never do anything of note again, much less reobtain his Ultimate state and become Universe 7's team leader, much less push Ultimate beyond its limits to equal a Super Saiyajin Blue.

Toei could have played it safe and left Gohan-kun where he was and never attempted to do anything with him, but they instead made him arguably equal to SSJB Gokū, SSJB Vegeta, and Golden Freeza, and had him take out three universes, directly or indirectly, which is more than I remember any other character taking out. When I look at it that way, coupled with how he willingly took himself out to cripple Universe 11, I find that any disappointment I feel is completely overshadowed by just how proud I am of him; he'd fallen further than anyone other character, dropping from arguably the strongest character to barely being able to maintain SSJ1, but he finished his role in the tournament as an incredible and essentially warrior exceeded in his home universe only by Gokū's and Vegeta's plot transformations.

Putting all of that aside, he proved himself superior to nearly all the fighters in eight other universes and even being able to match Universe 3's second-to-last resort. The only non-combined fighters that appeared to be outright superior to him were his own father (because Kaiōken and UI Omen), Vegeta (because SSJ Royal Blue), and Jiren. I'd say he did a dang good job, has become so powerful that no one outside Universe 11 can really pose a threat to him anymore, and made arguably the biggest comeback in all of Dragon Ball.

I'm proud of you, Gohan-kun.

KingKaash
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Image

False promises.

I'm so glad Gohan did NOT get a new form. Way too many new forms/techniques being handed out with Goku Black's SSJ Rose, Future Trunks SSJ Rage, Kale's Berserk SSJ, Goku's Ultra Instinct, and Vegeta's SSJ Blue Grade 2. I liked Ultra Instinct the best because it was moving back to simplicity. So no need for Gohan to get handed another form because it was getting out of hand.
    "Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Bullza
    Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:52 am

Gohan was never going to beat Toppo.

Jiren is the #1 threat and Goku was always going to take him on/out.

Toppo is the #2 threat and it was always going to be either Vegeta or Frieza who was going to take him out and going by the spoilers it looks that will be Vegeta.

Gohan being the next significant character did what was expected, perhaps even more than was expected by taking out Dyspo was of course the #3 of the bunch.

He was treated just fine. He took out Obuni, Koichiarator, Pirina and Saonel and Dyspo. There's only so many characters that someone can take out.

In comparison Frieza's notable wins are just against Frost and Cabba. He won't really be having a big win. Android 17 only had the one against Aniraza and Vegeta will only be getting the one as well with Toppo.

Gohan has had one of the most impressive displays out the lot really.