Super Episode 123 (14 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 123 (14 January 2018)

Post by Totamo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 am

as for this episode, Kitano just ruined it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:13 am

KingKaash wrote:Goku and Vegeta fighting together makes it difficult for me to judge how strong this new form of Vegeta's is.
I assume it's on Goku's current Kaioken level or otherwise what's the point of giving him a new form and having him fight alongside Goku ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:17 am

sintzu wrote:
KingKaash wrote:Goku and Vegeta fighting together makes it difficult for me to judge how strong this new form of Vegeta's is.
I assume it's on Goku's current Kaioken level or otherwise what's the point of giving him a new form and having him fight alongside Goku ?
Yup that's what we're all going to have to assume at this point. I'm more interested to see how far Vegeta's new form can push Jiren when it's 1-on-1. I hope we get to see that
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 am

Yeah, I can't really tell if Vegeta's new form is equal to: 1) SSBlue Kaioken Goku; 2) SSBlue Kaioken x20 Goku; 3) UI Goku

What do you guys think?

Also, I have decided on the name Super Saiyan Cobalt. To me, "Beyond Super Saiyan Blue", "Super Saiyan Blue 2", "Super Saiyan Blue Grade 2", etc. all sound inaccurate and weird.

The color name fits it well. This also isn't exactly an SS2, as there was no lightning. This also isn't exactly a Grade 2, as the sparkles and hair became different colors. This seems like it isn't related to SSBlue in the same way SS Grade 2/SS2 are related to SS1.

StardustCrusaderX

Post by StardustCrusaderX » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 am

Seeing as how some folks have been criticizing Cabba being the trigger for vegeta's new form, it makes me wonder if universe 6 saiyans were a mistake?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:49 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Yeah, I can't really tell if Vegeta's new form is equal to: 1) SSBlue Kaioken Goku; 2) SSBlue Kaioken x20 Goku; 3) UI Goku

What do you guys think?
I think it's equal to whatever Goku is currently using which is probably ×20.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:51 am

This is the first episode with mediocre animation that I actually enjoyed in a long time. Usually poor animation is enough to make me check out, but not this time. Just goes to show how strong everything else was.

piffolo

Post by piffolo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Yeah, I can't really tell if Vegeta's new form is equal to: 1) SSBlue Kaioken Goku; 2) SSBlue Kaioken x20 Goku; 3) UI Goku

What do you guys think?
Between Grand Priest saying "Vegeta san appears to have broken through his shell, too", Vegeta's eyes having the same glow and blank stare that Goku does when he goes Ultra Instinct https://imgur.com/a/A5tzk , and the heavy foreshadowing in the last 13 episodes that Vegeta will eventually reach UI (Like Vegeta dodging Jiren's flurry of punches and Whis mentioning UI https://youtu.be/xLj_oT1zYvg?t=2m17s ) I'm pretty much convinced that he's at least as strong as UI Goku was in rd 1 vs Jiren, but I'm also the a huge Vegeta fanboy so this could all just be wishful headcanon on my part

ketchu

Post by ketchu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 am

I really liked Vegetas transformation, but thr eyes were a bit weird to me. Maybe too doll-like, lol.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 am

sintzu wrote:

What do you guys think?
I think it's equal to whatever Goku is currently using which is probably ×20.
piffolo wrote:

What do you guys think?
Between Grand Priest saying "Vegeta san appears to have broken through his shell, too", Vegeta's eyes having the same glow and blank stare that Goku does when he goes Ultra Instinct https://imgur.com/a/A5tzk , and the heavy foreshadowing in the last 13 episodes that Vegeta will eventually reach UI (Like Vegeta dodging Jiren's flurry of punches and Whis mentioning UI https://youtu.be/xLj_oT1zYvg?t=2m17s ) I'm pretty much convinced that he's at least as strong as UI Goku was in rd 1 vs Jiren, but I'm also the a huge Vegeta fanboy so this could all just be wishful headcanon on my part
I agree with you both. I think at the absolute minimum Vegeta's new form is equal to Goku SSB KKx20. We'll probably find out if he is equal to UI Goku later on.

Also, how did the name Super Saiyan Cobalt sound? Not Good? Pretty Solid? Just curious on feedback.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 am

Wow, absolutely amazing episode. Too bad the art, animation, modeling, and thus the choreography and transformation scene, were so bland, and even at times, bad. Not smart scheduling, Toei. The other thing that just made absolutely no sense was Goku keeping up with aura Jiren in basic blue. I can more or less explain most of the scaling in this show, but that made no sense, even if Goku has gotten stronger since the special.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:44 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:How did the name Super Saiyan Cobalt sound? Not Good? Pretty Solid? Just curious on feedback.
I've yet to read or come up with a new that doesn't sound off. How about Ssj-Blue-er ?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 am

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than 122. It was nice to see more of the Gohan & 17 vs Toppo fight.

And on that front, #17 is quickly becoming one of my favourite characters in this arc. Seriously, if he was the leader and calling the shots, half of the U7 guys would still be in the arena right now. His strategies are almost always flawless, and anything he says is correct.

Gohan, as always, keeps disappointing. But I hope in the next episode he'll be better when working with Frieza.

Speaking of the tyrant, he reclaimed his hype from the last episode when he revealed to Dyspo that the galactic bunny's attacks did jack shit to Goku's nemesis. This is classic Frieza, who makes his opponents think they have the upper hand, only to crush their hopes and bask in their despair. All said and done, Dyspo can't damage Frieza (so far) but Frieza also can't hit Dyspo (so far). It's a stalemate, one which will definitely end when Gohan enters the fray.

Zeno's warrior sleep line was adorable.

But this episode was all about Goku, Vegeta and Jiren. Goku showcasing tactics and strategy was a nice touch, and I like how Jiren seems to be respecting the saiyan duo more and more as he sees how they're giving their all. Many people are claiming that Jiren letting Goku and Vegeta inside the arena and toying with them is bad writing ...

Is it, though?

Jiren has claimed that he's seeking that which lies beyond strength. What if he's trying to push Goku and Vegeta beyond their limits to make them break through their shell, and force him to break through his limits also? By helping them achieve a higher level, they'll help him go beyond his limit as well.
Jiren is obviously searching for the match which will cause him to find 'that which lies beyond strength', and it's quite possible that he's using Goku and Vegeta (now that he's sensing their potentital) to achieve that end.

That's my headcanon theory, anyway.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 am

terrible episode. generic fights. sloppy animation. I'm tired of jiren and I'm tired of goku. i want to see toppo and dyspo and frieza. thankfully the next episode gonna focus on them.

piffolo

Post by piffolo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote: I agree with you both. I think at the absolute minimum Vegeta's new form is equal to Goku SSB KKx20. We'll probably find out if he is equal to UI Goku later on.

Also, how did the name Super Saiyan Cobalt sound? Not Good? Pretty Solid? Just curious on feedback.
Lol Super Saiyan Cobalt is definitely much better than all of the Super Saiyan Blue 2 variations. Imo Super Saiyan Royal Blue feels like the best fit since it's pretty close to his new shade of color and he's technically still the Prince of all Saiyans, so that's what I've been rolling with

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 am

piffolo wrote:I'm convinced that he's at least as strong as UI Goku was in rd 1 vs Jiren, but I'm a huge Vegeta fanboy so this could all just be wishful headcanon on my part.
Beerus said Goku was using his full power which means it's KK×20 so Vegeta is at least that strong.

What are the chances of Vegeta getting the final hit on Jiren that knocks him out ? I know he always says he'll beat the main villain but there's something different about it this time, something more believable, especially with him wanting to do it to bring back a universe and not just for himself like usual. He also promised Cabba that he'll be the one to bring them back so it wouldn't make sense character wise to have someone else make that wish.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:47 am

Good episode. But still think Supergod (Jiren) is crap.

And FFS - just how far do you have to fall to be 'ringed out'? SuperGod was quite some way down before he used his powers of predictable to get himself back in the ring.
Last edited by SonReggie on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:48 am

sintzu wrote:
ChiefWamsutta wrote:How did the name Super Saiyan Cobalt sound? Not Good? Pretty Solid? Just curious on feedback.
I've yet to read or come up with a new that doesn't sound off. How about Ssj-Blue-er ?
Super Saiyan Royal Blue was the best I heard. Kinda fits Vegeta, just saiyan, heh.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 am

Waiting to see the form drawn by competent animators, but it's not looking good. Who thought flamboyant sparkles and kawaii eyes were a good look for Vegeta? Someone tell me.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 am

Draconic wrote:Jiren's regular punches just being that strong when he's using more of his power just screams Saitama.
To be honest, Jiren feels more and more like a one-punch man parody.