Do many of you hoping a hiatus will save Super.....

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Do many of you hoping a hiatus will save Super.....

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:23 am

Retan wrote:If they were gonna do a next generation...
They're not and this is why "I watch Dragonball For Goku and Vegeta to get stronger and Z fighter fights with strong enemies".

No one watches DB for any other reason and if you take that away then 90% of the viewers at the very least will be gone. Goku has a good size brand recognition so most will know who he is by seeing a picture of him but Uub ? there are DB fans who probably don't know who he is so giving him a show will be franchise suicide.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 am

Super doesn't need 'saved' as the merchandise sales and its constant position in the top 10 prove. A hiatus might give them an opportunity to sort out the schedule but that's about it and there's no guarantee that would actually happen. The schedule got fucked up in the first place because Toei suits wanted to rush out a product to strike while the RoF iron was hottest.
sintzu wrote:
Retan wrote:If they were gonna do a next generation...
They're not and this is why "I watch Dragonball For Goku and Vegeta to get stronger and Z fighter fights with strong enemies".

No one watches DB for any other reason and if you take that away then 90% of the viewers at the very least will be gone. Goku has a good size brand recognition so most will know who he is by seeing a picture of him but Uub ? there are DB fans who probably don't know who he is so giving him a show will be franchise suicide.
I dunno, it seems like a not-insignificant part of the western fandom worships Gohan has a blazing hate boner for Goku for taking back MC status :lol:

I've also seen people who don't know Uub and Bra aren't GT characters. I think the problem is that they never get used for anything. Uub's barely even in any games and even in Fusions Uub has almost zero story relevance. GT only remembered he existed when they needed to job someone out to the big villains. He's not MC material but I do think Uub could be popular if he was actually given a chance to shine.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Super doesn't need 'saved' as the merchandise sales and its constant position in the top 10 prove.

I dunno, it seems like a not-insignificant part of the western fandom worships Gohan has a blazing hate boner for Goku for taking back MC status :lol:

I do think Uub could be popular if he was actually given a chance to shine.
I think the reason it might stop is because Toriyama's been busy with the movie so he wasn't able to come up with a good enough arc for the anime.

They're a vocal minority, same thing with the Vegeta fans who want him to take over the show.

Of course, especially if he's given a good dynamic with Goku but he's got nothing that qualifies him to take over the entire franchise.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 am

Oh, don't worry. Dragon Ball Super has already been saved by an unlikely Hero: Goku Black. He is the one who saved Super, the one who introduced the arc that revolutionized Super. In fact, the magnificient episode 47 is the most viewed episode in the entire Super by a wide margin. Goku Black, despite being the most recent villain introduced in the series, has already become one of the absolute most popular and beloved characters in the entire franchise, and he was introduced only in 2016! That is astonishing! So, as you can see, Super has already been saved.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 am

It doesn't need saving. It was saved with the Future Trunks saga.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 am

A hiatus won't save it because it doesn't need saving

Super has it's problems, just like all the other Dragonball series before it did. Hopefully a break would give them time to sit down and do some solid writing before they move into the next arc. Regardless what happens in March, hiatus or no hiatus, Super is going to continue on and continue to sell merch

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 am

sintzu wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Super doesn't need 'saved' as the merchandise sales and its constant position in the top 10 prove.

I do think Uub could be popular if he was actually given a chance to shine.
I think the reason it might stop is because Toriyama's been busy with the movie so he wasn't able to come up with a good enough arc for the anime.

They're a vocal minority, same thing with the Vegeta fans who want him to take over the show.

Of course, especially if he's given a good dynamic with Goku but he's got nothing that qualifies him to take over the entire franchise.
It might. I was noticing last night that the arc is doing a pretty good job bookending both BoG and RoF it wouldn't be a bad place to do so thematically. It's been over a year since this arc started being advertised and who knows what Toriyama's been doing since then?

I don't think any one character can take over the franchise. Even Goku is usually part of a big ensemble. Goku, Bulma and Vegeta are the super trio of DB and I can't see Toei or Toriyama ever trying to get rid of them.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Asura wrote:Why do I keep seeing people say that Super needs to be saved? It’s more popular than ever before, and bringing in more revenue sales and merchandise sales than ever before.
The quality of the series is suffering from a staff playing catch-up constantly and never being able to get sufficiently ahead enough for important moments to stand out. Look no further than Episode #123, which had Vegeta achieving a new transformation with most lackluster directing and animation. A hiatus with a properly scheduled continuation of production would give the series the time necessary to serve as incentive for talented creators to agree to work on the series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Totamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:I see your arguement but let me offer this as a rebuttal.

Super can’t get any worse. A hiatus could only help Super for the most part. With a movie being made, we’ll need all the help the we can get and that will 100% lead to some terrible, episode 5 or RoF arc levels of episodes.

Another thing a hiatus could do is fix the schedule. Many times, many animators have come out and said that one of super’s biggest problems is the schedule. Naotoshi Shida and Yuya Takahashi are two that come off the top my my head. And apparently for this trash schedule, Toei ends up paying twice as much money for outsourcing and hireing more free-lance animators to get the job done in time.

The hiatus could overall improve the quality of Super. Worst case scenario is that it looks the same.
No, worst case scenario is we go back to movie recap animation for the most part and have to wait 47 episodes for animation consistency but no one is as patient and the show gets canceled.

right now the animation is as consistent a tournament arc can get.

Not to mention we have no idea how long its replacement will run and that right there could kill momentum or they would just repeat what they did with Rof and use that movie hype to pop the show out as quickly as
That deosn’t make sense. How would they revert back to such horrible production when they would have a BETTER schedule to work with which means BETTER production and MORE time to work? It couldn’t get any worse if Toei doesn’t change anything. It could only get better. And if you hadn’t noticed, people are working overtime for this arc. As soon as it ends, if we dont get a hiatus, the animation and art will be consistent alright. Consistent trash no offense. It happened after the Future Trunks arc and it will definetly happen again especially since we have a movie in the works.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Totamo wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:

Nothing has been confirmed. At this point its just speculation and we will find out very soon once the "Kitaro" announcement is made.

If its true then people SPECULATE the ToP will end the show and then it will start up again/sequel/ whatever in start of 2019.
Thanks for letting you Me know on that! :thumbup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honestly while I would personally work My Fandom around with whatever they decided and I think the Writing Staff needs a major clean-up for many inconsistencies in the ToP..............Honestly I rather NOT Have a Hiatus or rather not a long one.

I think it would loss Momentum for the show and the New characters the Most. The Next arc will be important in World Building and espically for New Characters they bring back. So to loss that momentum from the ToP, the good it did and the good we got from it, would be a mistake.

So while I think a clean-up is needed, NO, I Don't want a Hiatus after the ToP.
They should just do filler with the other universes. We don't have to take it seriously, they don't have to be consistent.
I would be all for that and would honestly not consider them filler episodes but needed ones so we can get a better idea of each of these Universes and their main characters. Just add in a member or more of U7 and you have some really interesting adventures with some possible good character development for main characters of the other Universes! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:26 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Totamo wrote:

Super can’t get any worse. A hiatus could only help Super for the most part. With a movie being made, we’ll need all the help the we can get and that will 100% lead to some terrible, episode 5 or RoF arc levels of episodes.

Another thing a hiatus could do is fix the schedule. Many times, many animators have come out and said that one of super’s biggest problems is the schedule. Naotoshi Shida and Yuya Takahashi are two that come off the top my my head. And apparently for this trash schedule, Toei ends up paying twice as much money for outsourcing and hireing more free-lance animators to get the job done in time.

The hiatus could overall improve the quality of Super. Worst case scenario is that it looks the same.
No, worst case scenario is we go back to movie recap animation for the most part and have to wait 47 episodes for animation consistency but no one is as patient and the show gets canceled.

right now the animation is as consistent a tournament arc can get.

Not to mention we have no idea how long its replacement will run and that right there could kill momentum or they would just repeat what they did with Rof and use that movie hype to pop the show out as quickly as
That deosn’t make sense. How would they revert back to such horrible production when they would have a BETTER schedule to work with which means BETTER production and MORE time to work? It couldn’t get any worse if Toei doesn’t change anything. It could only get better. And if you hadn’t noticed, people are working overtime for this arc. As soon as it ends, if we dont get a hiatus, the animation and art will be consistent alright. Consistent trash no offense. It happened after the Future Trunks arc and it will definetly happen again especially since we have a movie in the works.
Who says they will have a better schedule?Thats what I'm saying. It might not be a better schedule. You are assuming they will continue planning the show while they are on hiatus or come back on a better time when they could easily simply stop working on it completely to work on the movie or like I said one piece and then when the movie drops, rush the show production to keep up with the movie hype like. they. did. before.

Also 67 was a bad looking episode because of 66, and the only badly animated filler was 71 but that wasn't because of time but style of two of very different animators.
Last edited by Totamo on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Asura wrote:Why do I keep seeing people say that Super needs to be saved? It’s more popular than ever before, and bringing in more revenue sales and merchandise sales than ever before.
The quality of the series is suffering from a staff playing catch-up constantly and never being able to get sufficiently ahead enough for important moments to stand out. Look no further than Episode #123, which had Vegeta achieving a new transformation with most lackluster directing and animation. A hiatus with a properly scheduled continuation of production would give the series the time necessary to serve as incentive for talented creators to agree to work on the series.
You know damn well that was because of Kitano.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Totamo wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Kitano isn't exactly the first choice of a production in good health.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:41 pm

A 6 - 12 months hiatus would be great IMO. It would help Super’s schedule especially with the movie in sight. Also I’m feeling a bit burnt on DBS.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Totamo wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Its just his style, his unappealing style.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Totamo wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
I don’t see how the talent of an animator is representative of what the show’s overall production is like.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Asura wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Totamo wrote: You know damn well that was because of Kitano.
I don’t see how the talent of an animator is representative of what the show’s overall production is like.
Talent offered more time and more freedom are more likely to work on a series. Kitano isn't brought on because he's talented, he's here because he's all they can get on short notice.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Well, not exactly saving, since i think the show it's actually ok on it's own, but definetly improving it. I would be lying if i stated that certain elements of super couldn't have been handled much better on different circumstances, and this is something that could be achieved with a better schedule and a healthier environment (plus super would blow us away even much more than with it's current best strike of animated episodes)

So yeah, go take a little nap super.

EDIT:
I doubt anyone at Toei would stop the show from getting a better treatment than the one it got back then in 2015, they have seen/experienced how terrible it went (yeah, the series is really popular but it's current huge popularity couldn't have been achieved had the show not improved)

Super can’t get any worse.
Even thought i agree with this (not in the same way thought)...... be careful with what you say my friend, last time i made such an statement, things went really rough :lol: .
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Asura wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Talent offered more time and more freedom are more likely to work on a series. Kitano isn't brought on because he's talented, he's here because he's all they can get on short notice.
So does that mean every show that Kitano works on or has ever worked on has production problems?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Asura wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Asura wrote:
So does that mean every show that Kitano works on or has ever worked on has production problems?
All series inherently have issues but if you're asking Kitano to either correct or do a lot of key animation it is because the deadline is NOW. Yashima serves the same role, but he's faster and can pull off more cuts by himself.
She/Her
bisexual milf