POLL: How would you rate the ToP arc so far?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: POLL: How would you rate the ToP arc so far?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:25 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Quick question: Are we talking about the tournament itself, or the entire arc?

Because if we're judging the arc on its own (Starting from EP 77), it's 9.5/10 for me.

Now if we're judging the actual tournament itself (Starting from EP 97) then it's a 9/10.

Either way, I've enjoyed this arc a hell of a lot more than I thought I was. Great fights, some great character moments, world building, and overall feels like such a spectacle. I watch Dragon Ball to be entertained, despite its bullshit at times, and this arc has entertained me in spades, despite some of its issues.
Wow, you really do love this arc. I have never seen anyone say that before you. Most people find it to be okay or good but not something they love.
This arc has had its problem, but the negatives are overwhelmingly outweighed by the positives. I think what puts this arc above others in Super, GT and some of DB and Z is the fact that every character has contributed something of significance to plot. That hasn't happened since the Red Ribbon Army arc. This arc has been sensational.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Quick question: Are we talking about the tournament itself, or the entire arc?

Because if we're judging the arc on its own (Starting from EP 77), it's 9.5/10 for me.

Now if we're judging the actual tournament itself (Starting from EP 97) then it's a 9/10.

Either way, I've enjoyed this arc a hell of a lot more than I thought I was. Great fights, some great character moments, world building, and overall feels like such a spectacle. I watch Dragon Ball to be entertained, despite its bullshit at times, and this arc has entertained me in spades, despite some of its issues.
Wow, you really do love this arc. I have never seen anyone say that before you. Most people find it to be okay or good but not something they love.
This arc has had its problem, but the negatives are overwhelmingly outweighed by the positives. I think what puts this arc above others in Super, GT and some of DB and Z is the fact that every character has contributed something of significance to plot. That hasn't happened since the Red Ribbon Army arc. This arc has been sensational.
I agree, although I'm not sure I would put it above any arcs in Z. Actually I'd probably put it at least above the Android saga, I found that one to be quite dull.

I'd give this arc an 8.5/10, and on this scale I'd round it up to a 9. I'm excited to watch the new episode every week, and while there's been a lot of disappointing episodes, most of them are still way better than the episodes we considered disappointments in every other arc. I really like the focus on so many characters, old and new, even if some of them aren't treated that great. But there were characters that got a lot of screen time/good fights and have been treated pretty good so far like Roshi, Freeza, 17, 18, Gohan, Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, Jiren, Dyspo, Toppo, Aniraza, Ribrianne, and even Bergamo, Lavenda, and Basil. Beerus has also been treated wonderfully this arc. Just look at how many characters there are, and all of them were pretty damn important compared to characters like Botamo and Magetta in the U6 arc. I mean, how many important characters did we have other than Goku & Vegeta in the FT arc? Trunks, Black, Zamasu, Mai, and Bulma. That's it. In the U6 arc we had Hit, Champa, and Cabba. I love that there's so much spotlight on these new and old characters, even if Goku hogs a lot of it. Ultra Instinct is an amazing transformation and that serious, cocky side of Goku is something we haven't seen for soooooo long and is so desperately needed in this series.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:43 pm

A solid 7 out 10. It has a lot of good moments in it and good animation for the most part, but the story can be pretty boring at times.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:34 pm

I wouldn't put any Super arc above a DBZ arc, the Cell saga had a lot of intrigue and mystery that kept it going through the early portions with the Androids, and then the Cell Games were mostly well done with many iconic moments people still talk about to this day.

It's also not so much a Goku/Vegeta show. DBZ took Goku out of the spotlight for long periods of time, and cycled through all the support characters for focus. It seems Super is afraid of Goku sitting out for more than one episode at time.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Asura wrote:The last poll thread I did here on Caulifla and Kale seemed to be successful so I'm doing another one regarding opinions on the Tournament of Power arc so far. Threads that ask how people feel about the ToP only garnish replies from probably 20 people or less, whereas a poll can collect data from a bigger sample size, the last poll having over 250 votes for example. I'm doing it before the finale since a lot of times an arc's ending can change the way you view the arc as a whole *cough* Future Trunks arc *cough* so it would be interesting to see how public perception changes after the arc ends, in which I might do another poll and compare the two.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14863039
Great idea! I gave it a 7. It would have easily risen above that because the quality of many of the eps has been pretty good, but it doesn't properly adhere to its premise as a Battle Royale and for that it loses major points from me. I'd give it a 6 for failing that premise in such a stunning fashion, but that does feel criminally low given that we have had some truly spectacular eps. in the arc, but even in those eps I liked there's usually a few slips of logic and this final lineup of fighters is predictable and fairly boring. I'd have liked to see another universe in there to shake things up until the end, or something other than what most people would have predicted. So yeah, a solid 7 to the ToP so far. Good character moments, GREAT fights, some amazing hype, and finally the fan favorite characters other than Goku and Vegeta got to do things.
TheDipDap1234 wrote:A solid 7 out 10. It has a lot of good moments in it and good animation for the most part, but the story can be pretty boring at times.
I agree. I believe it plays it too safe, just like with this final lineup of fighters. I had the most fun with the unpredictable Zamasu arc because they went full throttle on all the concepts they introduced ... and even some they didn't :twisted:
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Easily a 8/10 for me as the art and animation has been great and I have enjoyed many of the fights and new characters introduced this arc. Would be higher but this arc does have some big flaws and the story isn't exactly the greatest but that doesn't detract to much from my enjoyment of this arc.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:52 am

Asura wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Wow, you really do love this arc. I have never seen anyone say that before you. Most people find it to be okay or good but not something they love.
I'm happy that you guys really love this arc and I'm having a blast with this arc as well. Though I would put this arc above the Boo arc which I don't like at all.
I agree, although I'm not sure I would put it above any arcs in Z. Actually I'd probably put it at least above the Android saga, I found that one to be quite dull.

I'd give this arc an 8.5/10, and on this scale I'd round it up to a 9. I'm excited to watch the new episode every week, and while there's been a lot of disappointing episodes, most of them are still way better than the episodes we considered disappointments in every other arc. I really like the focus on so many characters, old and new, even if some of them aren't treated that great. But there were characters that got a lot of screen time/good fights and have been treated pretty good so far like Roshi, Freeza, 17, 18, Gohan, Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, Jiren, Dyspo, Toppo, Aniraza, Ribrianne, and even Bergamo, Lavenda, and Basil. Beerus has also been treated wonderfully this arc. Just look at how many characters there are, and all of them were pretty damn important compared to characters like Botamo and Magetta in the U6 arc. I mean, how many important characters did we have other than Goku & Vegeta in the FT arc? Trunks, Black, Zamasu, Mai, and Bulma. That's it. In the U6 arc we had Hit, Champa, and Cabba. I love that there's so much spotlight on these new and old characters, even if Goku hogs a lot of it. Ultra Instinct is an amazing transformation and that serious, cocky side of Goku is something we haven't seen for soooooo long and is so desperately needed in this series.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 am

For some of the scores I see on this thread, it makes me wonder about those claims I heard on these foruns of this arc being the worst of Super.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:17 pm

8/10, which is saying a lot as I don't even care for tournaments that much.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Torturephile wrote:For some of the scores I see on this thread, it makes me wonder about those claims I heard on these foruns of this arc being the worst of Super.
That’s just how these things go. Never listen to what the most vocal people say on these forums because they’re usually a minority. For example you’d think with all the hate Caulifla and Kale get here that liking them would be an unpopular opinion, but my poll showed the exact opposite with much more people liking both of them/only one of them/neutral about them than it did people hating them.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

9/10.

My Second favorite arc since the Namek arc since Its SO DAMN FUN. And i also liked all the padding. Most of them felt logical and necessary.

Not to mention it gave Vegeta his first On screen transformation.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:37 pm

6/10. Too inconsistent for my tastes.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:42 pm

8. Definitely the best thing Super ever did and probably one of the most important arcs ever as far as expanding the franchise. Probably would have been the best arc since early Z tbh/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:50 pm

I don't like to use numbers because I'm not consistent with that system, but I guess 9/10
It's easier for me to say I put it below the Saiyan arc, Buu arc and FT Trunks arc and above everything else.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Now that we know it ends in 7 or 8 episodes, I think the climax will also directly affect how people view it overall.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm

As it stands, I give it a 7. It's had some very solid 9/10 fights and moments, but I feel overall it couldve felt more Battle Royale esque rather than U7 vs Everyone.

Still, the great moments have been great. Excited to see how it pans out and praying it finishes off coherently

supercat

Post by supercat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm

A 9.5 out of 10. The main factors that contribute to that are Android 17 and Frieza's overall portrayal.

For Android 17, I love how he presumably became an SSB-tier powerhouse that can fight alongside (and against) other top contenders. He's come quite a long way from the Cell saga. His presence has also been quite appealing to say the least. His confidence tied in with his strategic insight, and even his subtle, yet still apparent devotion towards his team (shown by his numerous attempts to assist Goku), are all aspects that make this former villain one heck of a character that more than deserves a place among the final tier of fighters. Also, in addition to his SSB-tier power and charismatic persona, he has quite an interesting arsenal of techniques and strategies that further support his importance on the team.

The only character that I feel can come close to rivaling 17 is Frieza. The ambiguity behind his motives and his willingness to work with the team are definitely interesting aspects that far outshine what someone like Buu or Yamcha could have brought to the table. Barring the fact that Frieza, even in his weakest form is presumably leagues above Buu, his cunning tendencies and adept fighting sense make him far more entertaining than some mindless brute who spams cheesy attacks before getting carelessly tossed around. I was always under the impression that Frieza was quite skilled with an immense amount of prowess behind his strength, and it looks like that assumption may actually be accurate.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm beginning to suspect some vote manipulation here, which is rather sad.

1/10 somehow has 20 votes now, whereas a day or two ago it had 1.

Next poll I do I'll have to host it on a different website that can track the influx of votes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Asura wrote:I'm beginning to suspect some vote manipulation here, which is rather sad.

1/10 somehow has 20 votes now, whereas a day or two ago it had 1.

Next poll I do I'll have to host it on a different website that can track the influx of votes.
You'll get much worse results if you go to reddit, twitter, tumblr, youtube, or some other anime site. All there is has been nothing but complaining about Gohan's loss everywhere else.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:06 pm

It's dragged a lot, but it's been really fun. But I can't rate it yet, because I'm still working my way through it. Like everyone else.

I'll never understand the compulsion people in this fandom have for trying to determine a consensus on on-going arcs, or an on-going series. It's.....not over. We don't know what the take home point of the arc will be, if it tracks well, if all of the guns on the wall were fired, etc. It's a futile effort, because our analyses here will always remain incomplete and superfluous in the face of the actual complete and fully-informed ones we are definitely going to make. It's also redundant, because these incomplete thoughts seem pined for almost every other episode. Or maybe the sheer egregiousness of it all makes my brain unconsciously exaggerate the frequency, I dunno.

Regardless, we only have, what, six episodes left now? Have some patience, my dude. Any number of thoughts we put in here now could very well, and likely will, be rendered moot by St. Patty's Day.