POLL: How would you rate the ToP arc so far?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

POLL: How would you rate the ToP arc so far?

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 am

The last poll thread I did here on Caulifla and Kale seemed to be successful so I'm doing another one regarding opinions on the Tournament of Power arc so far. Threads that ask how people feel about the ToP only garnish replies from probably 20 people or less, whereas a poll can collect data from a bigger sample size, the last poll having over 250 votes for example. I'm doing it before the finale since a lot of times an arc's ending can change the way you view the arc as a whole *cough* Future Trunks arc *cough* so it would be interesting to see how public perception changes after the arc ends, in which I might do another poll and compare the two.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14863039

precita
Banned

Re: POLL: How would you rate the ToP arc so far?

Post by precita » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 am

7.5 out of 10. Has some really great episodes and fights, then some not so great episodes.

And the handling of certain characters could have been a lot better. Tien might as well have not been here at all with how little he did. Krillin and Piccolo also should have had a lot more fights. So far I'm satisfied with everyone else, I don't get too concerned about how other universe fighters do given we barely know them and they're just designs. I feel like the fodder characters who lost quickly or off-screen were done away with because they were literally just throwaway characters the writers had no plans for.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 am

I liked the first few episodes up until the end of the exhibition matchs. The episodes leading up to the tournament were pretty boring. The tournament itself up until Goku and Hit's team fight wasn't much better. From there up until the end of U3 was solid overall while the last 2 episodes were great and it seems like things will just get better moving forward. I'll currently give it a 7 but that could go up if the remaining episodes are as good as I think they'll be.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:23 am

Some excellent character moments, great tactics used in battle, intriguing enough.
Just, as a matter of fact, I was more interested in the Black arc, but that's because it had an actual plot instead of just battles.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:53 am

If you count the exhibition matches and the recruitment episodes, I'd probably bump my score up to an 8. The eps leading up to the tournament were a hightlight, sans that Roshi ep.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:17 am

8/10. The best episodes have been 10/10, about 5-6 of them. The worst 5/10. Everything has been watchable to great.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 am

3/10. Some cool moments, some good episodes. Doesn't change the fact that the concept was butchered, plot points are dropped from episode to episode, it's an inconsistent mess, there's no emotional weight to the erasures, the characters were all wasted and there seems to be no focus or cohesiveness considering a fight can start one episode and, in the next, those characters are fighting different people as if nothing ever happened.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 am

5/10 and I'm being nice.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:30 am

7/10. There have been some excellent fights with incredible direction, storyboard, and animation from various talented people within Toei. There have also been some uninspired and poorly executed episodes that conflict with the true highs of this arc. In short, we have seen to this date some of the best episodes of the series, but things have not been entirely consistent despite that fact. The narrative elements dwelling on cliché to tired in certain places haven't helped either. Overall this arc has the highest production value of any arc so far, but is not immune from the slaughter house that is Dragon Ball Super's schedule. Only time will tell how this arc finishes but I have the sneaking suspicion that things will still end better than the Future Trunks arc.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:32 am

6/10 The tournament has some good animation,fight and character interaction but unfortunately the amount of fake tension,the majority of the ToP character are smug super and It lack focus so overall the ToP is a mixed bag to me.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 am

Doctor. wrote:3/10. Some cool moments, some good episodes. Doesn't change the fact that the concept was butchered, plot points are dropped from episode to episode, it's an inconsistent mess, there's no emotional weight to the erasures, the characters were all wasted and there seems to be no focus or cohesiveness considering a fight can start one episode and, in the next, those characters are fighting different people as if nothing ever happened.
Same,might rate it higher for visuals.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 am

A solid 7 at the moment. A few weeks ago I might have given it an 8 or maybe even a 9, but the last episode wasn't great and the arc fatigue is really starting to set in. Great action, great character moments, but overall too long and too disjointed.

Still my favourite Super arc, and one I suspect I'll look back on fondly provided they don't botch the ending.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:52 am

7/10 it's lacking the depth and story it needs to be truly classified with on of the greater arcs. So far the only arc that truly impressed is he Zamasu/Goku Black Arc.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:42 am

6/10.

The art and animation makes most of previous arcs, even the future saga, look weak in comparison, and many fights are contenders for best of Super yet. Some characters like Android 17 and Roshi have been handled spectacularly, bringing them out to their full potential while making them relevant again. It also provided perhaps some of the most memorable moments in the series like Goku's kamehameha against Kafla and one of the most liked forms/tecniques introduced yet, ultra instinct.

On the other hand, the plot has taken a major downgrade into simplicity, not helped by the inconsistent writing styles and preferences of many people involving in its creation. There were many missed opportunities they could have taken by such as having various universes eliminating each other instead of leaving it all for universe 7 to take care of it. Most new characters, with some exceptions like Katopesla, all share the same generic bad guy personality and lack any type of unique moveset, despite a few having good character design like The Preecho, and mostly turned out of be non-challenging. For all of the characters that were handled well, there were others that were handled badly like Tenshinhan for coming short of their potential and Ribrianne for barely giving a challenge despite she was supposedly a key player in the tournament, with an annoying personality and spotlight-stealing tendency on top of that.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 pm

8/10.

This arc introduced many characters which I fell in love, like Caulifla, Kale and their fusion.

We had MASSIVE character development for Vegeta, and we saw good techniques and strategies, like Goku dropping "ki landmines", and #17 returned with a BIG spotlight.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

7/10 (Good)

Solid ok beginning with a few highlight episodes (like Kuririn and #17's recruitment episodes), from the tournament itself most episodes are serviceable with some here and there being absolute great (Roshi focused episodes being the best outside of Goku vs Jiren special)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Quick question: Are we talking about the tournament itself, or the entire arc?

Because if we're judging the arc on its own (Starting from EP 77), it's 9.5/10 for me.

Now if we're judging the actual tournament itself (Starting from EP 97) then it's a 9/10.

Either way, I've enjoyed this arc a hell of a lot more than I thought I was. Great fights, some great character moments, world building, and overall feels like such a spectacle. I watch Dragon Ball to be entertained, despite its bullshit at times, and this arc has entertained me in spades, despite some of its issues.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Quick question: Are we talking about the tournament itself, or the entire arc?

Because if we're judging the arc on its own (Starting from EP 77), it's 9.5/10 for me.

Now if we're judging the actual tournament itself (Starting from EP 97) then it's a 9/10.

Either way, I've enjoyed this arc a hell of a lot more than I thought I was. Great fights, some great character moments, world building, and overall feels like such a spectacle. I watch Dragon Ball to be entertained, despite its bullshit at times, and this arc has entertained me in spades, despite some of its issues.
Wow, you really do love this arc. I have never seen anyone say that before you. Most people find it to be okay or good but not something they love.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:48 pm

I personally rate this arc to be an 8 in my book. The animation has been great and the fights have been cool. I really like some of the new characters like Toppo. I love that Freeza, my favorite character, has been written greatly during this arc. This arc has been long but still enjoyable. I hope the ending will be great because I really love this arc. The Future Trunks Arc was great until the ending. So, please don't let this happen to this arc too.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:3/10. Some cool moments, some good episodes. Doesn't change the fact that the concept was butchered, plot points are dropped from episode to episode, it's an inconsistent mess, there's no emotional weight to the erasures, the characters were all wasted and there seems to be no focus or cohesiveness considering a fight can start one episode and, in the next, those characters are fighting different people as if nothing ever happened.
If the Trunks arc had ToP animation and art it couldve been a Top Tier Arc in Z.