POLL: How would you rate the ToP arc so far?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: POLL: How would you rate the ToP arc so far?

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 pm

precita wrote:
Asura wrote:I'm beginning to suspect some vote manipulation here, which is rather sad.

1/10 somehow has 20 votes now, whereas a day or two ago it had 1.

Next poll I do I'll have to host it on a different website that can track the influx of votes.
You'll get much worse results if you go to reddit, twitter, tumblr, youtube, or some other anime site. All there is has been nothing but complaining about Gohan's loss everywhere else.
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring to the polling site. There are different sites out there that are much better than strawpoll in terms of tracking vote manipulation.
Zephyr wrote:It's dragged a lot, but it's been really fun. But I can't rate it yet, because I'm still working my way through it. Like everyone else.

I'll never understand the compulsion people in this fandom have for trying to determine a consensus on on-going arcs, or an on-going series. It's.....not over. We don't know what the take home point of the arc will be, if it tracks well, if all of the guns on the wall were fired, etc. It's a futile effort, because our analyses here will always remain incomplete and superfluous in the face of the actual complete and fully-informed ones we are definitely going to make. It's also redundant, because these incomplete thoughts seem pined for almost every other episode. Or maybe the sheer egregiousness of it all makes my brain unconsciously exaggerate the frequency, I dunno.

Regardless, we only have, what, six episodes left now? Have some patience, my dude. Any number of thoughts we put in here now could very well, and likely will, be rendered moot by St. Patty's Day.
A lot of times an ending can really change the way you view an arc, so I wanted to get opinions before the finale, and then later after the finale to see if anything's changed.

JustSaiyan34

Post by JustSaiyan34 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:01 am

I'd put it at a solid 8 or 8.5. It has some facepalm-inducing lows (ep. 119, Tien getting shafted, Krillin losing so early), but plenty of absolutely stellar highs. The Roshi episodes were wonderful, Freeza has been written exceptionally well IMO, the Goku and Hit tag-team was awesome, and every scene involving UI has been great. As long as the ending isn't really badly botched, I feel like I'll look back on this arc pretty fondly.
A B S O L U T E L Y S U B A R A S H I I

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:11 am

6/10 with some 8-9/10 moments here and there. I'll probably like the manga better, as anyone not named Roshi, 17, or Goku didn't really get to have their time to shine I feel.

Though, I do like that Roshi and 17 did get to shine.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 am

Right now it's a solid 8/10 if I consider the recruitment arc, with some 9-10/10 moments. The last episodes could easily bring this rating to a 10/10 if they are handled well and if the finale is satisfying both in writing and animation.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 am

It's my favorite arc from Super so far, if only because they've stepped it up with the music, animation, and battles. A lot of it has been eye candy, and even though I'm sure the outcome will be predictably disappointing, the arc has managed to grab my attention and I've found myself replaying scenes from it, which I hadn't done previously with Super.

Is it better than any DBZ arc (excluding filler)? Absolutely not. The power levels make absolutely no sense within the context of the series, so many new characters were just fodder, I dislike the structure of the tournament, and the pacing has been poorly executed. But hey... it's been pretty fun, albeit a tad repetitive. 7.5/10.

The Black arc had the better story, antagonist, and intrigue, but literally everything was so poorly executed that it actually managed to annoy me because the arc had the potential of being the greatest one in franchise history, imo. 6.5/10 for that one.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:49 am

2/10. Trunks arc, while painful to watch, was much more substantial.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Asura wrote:A lot of times an ending can really change the way you view an arc, so I wanted to get opinions before the finale, and then later after the finale to see if anything's changed.
For like comparing and contrasting purposes? I can see that I guess.

Peripuff

Post by Peripuff » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 am

I LOVE this arc. Granted I am a newbie to the Dragon Ball series in that I have only seen Dragon Ball and episode 97 onwards of Super. But this is the arc that got me to be interested in the series. I love tournaments, and I love the concept of characters dropping out or something similar one by one, and this arc has provided on both fronts. It has inspired me to create my own 'Tournament of Power' scenarios with different sets of characters, and I have loved every second with the theorizing etc. ever since I started watching every week since episode 99. Maybe I am just really easy to please, because I have also enjoyed the likes of 106, 119, 123 and 124 thoroughly. 10/10 definitely.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 am

8 with being generous as its Dragon Ball. That is really the only thing that justifies Super for me. The anime's Zamasu saga was really the only thing for me that was truly worth it beyond everything.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 am

To be honest, I can't tell at the moment.

A few weeks ago I would've given it a solid 8 or even a 9 because 118 just left that positive of an impression on me. That all evaporated the very next week, and frankly it's been going downhill ever since, with only a few moments of "yeah, that was neat" keeping it afloat.

As fun as 109-118 were, less than 10 good episodes in a 30+ episode arc (more if you count the recruitment eps ) isn't that great. This might change as we still have episodes left and they may all end up great. *fingers crossed*

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 am

I think I'll give it a 7 right now. The constant harping about Goku's stamina issues after the special really brought down that string of episodes for me, otherwise it'd be higher.