Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Give me a better fanbase first and we will talk about that after.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Either Super 2 or new db series, just to use all the characters and concepts that have been introduced via tournaments and tell different stories involving them. I mean, not doing that would be modern dragon ball's biggest sin.

EDIT:

Seriously, i can understand the sentiment behind wanting the show to be ended, but that could only work in case there was no more potential or any way to write new interesting
db stories.

With all these universe being introduced, new characters and even relationships between them (Vegeta being Cabba's mentor, Goku and Hit.....etc) suddenly throwing everything away and not using it would be downright awful. It would pretty much shit on the whole db revival thing that BoG introduced with the concept of other universes.
Last edited by dbs fanboy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:11 pm

I'd love to see a series that has the middle ground of focusing on the new generation of fighters (Oob, Pan, Bra, Goten and Trunks), while also keeping Goku and Vegeta in the spotlight.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:08 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Give me a better fanbase first and we will talk about that after.
Mind elaborating on that comment,i always see comment yet they don't go on detail on why the fanbase is terrible.
    I really don't know what i want,a new series wouldn't hurt with AT being a 100% involved
    Mostly active on discord.

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:26 pm

My hopes for the new show are:
    - Very good pre-production and planning, to ensure the schedule is as good as it can be, so that art and animation can be consistently good.
    - Set after EoZ, more detailed outlines written by Akira Toriyama and more designs by him.
    - A more serious approach to the story, like the manga was ever since King Piccolo arc.
    - A new character designer. I would like either more animation-friendly designs (they could completely adapt Toriyama's modern designs) or DBZ-like designs by Takahashi or Nakatsuru, with no skin and hair highlights.
    - 2008 special colors and backgrounds.
    - More blood. I know we will never get as much blood as we had in older shows but having BoG-RoF levels of blood consistently would already be enough. Goku hasn't bled once in Super, that's ridiculous.

My wildest hope is that the show starts from Dragon Ball Z episode 292. Hyping up DBZ's return could be huge for Toei, and the brand is undeniably stronger and more popular than Super.
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Cetra
    I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Dragon Ball GT Super Edition
    "Citation needed."
    "too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbs fanboy
    Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Cetra wrote:Dragon Ball GT Super Edition
    But if that happens, i won't have my og GTxSuper crossover (assuming this edition erases the original one)
    I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

BlueBasilisk
    I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:Kill him off. Make him go on a trip. Have two different plotlines with Goku & Vegeta dealing with a larger threat outside of Earth and Pan & co dealing with a lesser threat on Earth; we could be more invested in Pan's and Oob's fight if their villain gets more screentime and is more charismatic to watch. Have Goku injure himself so badly he loses most of his powers either permanently or temporarily. The villain gets to him first and makes it so they can't reach Goku somehow.

Plenty of things you can do if you want to make it work and aren't out of creativity.
    Yo! Son Goku and Friends did that. Goku had Goten and Trunks fight Avo and Cado because he thought they'd be a good challenge for the kids.

perucho1990
    I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:45 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
    Doctor. wrote:Kill him off. Make him go on a trip. Have two different plotlines with Goku & Vegeta dealing with a larger threat outside of Earth and Pan & co dealing with a lesser threat on Earth; we could be more invested in Pan's and Oob's fight if their villain gets more screentime and is more charismatic to watch. Have Goku injure himself so badly he loses most of his powers either permanently or temporarily. The villain gets to him first and makes it so they can't reach Goku somehow.

Plenty of things you can do if you want to make it work and aren't out of creativity.
    Yo! Son Goku and Friends did that. Goku had Goten and Trunks fight Avo and Cado because he thought they'd be a good challenge for the kids.
    Some didnt like it because back then the was the complain of the kids being shoved down the fans throats like the Saiyans Girls in the ToP.

lancerman
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Honestly it's Goku's story. I'm fine with them bringing in more characters but don't forget that when you get into that "next generation" motif it can be handled pretty bad. Super used Vegeta, Bulma, Kuriren, Roshi, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Gohan, Chi Chi, 18 and 17 far more effectively than GT who focused on Goku, Pan, and a bit of Trunks. I don't need a young pan too be more central to the plot than Goten or Gohan ever were. The show is still Goku and honestly I think Vegeta should be the next major figure as he's a natural foil to Goku.

I prefer they end this with some status quo that is U7 won but there is some massive threat of either Freeza or one of the stronger universes on the horizon and that is the impetus for the start of the next series.

Ilikepictures-meh
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'd love to see a series that has the middle ground of focusing on the new generation of fighters (Oob, Pan, Bra, Goten and Trunks), while also keeping Goku and Vegeta in the spotlight.
    Honestly this is the best way to do it. Completely removing Goku and some of the others out of the spotlight would annoy some people (Though its no big deal because people constantly cry and whine in this fan base anyway).
    It's best to focus on the potential new gen characters (Uub, Pan, Bra, Goten, Trunks, Marron, possibly 17 three kids, Cabba, Kale, Caulifla, and others) while keeping Goku and co in the spotlight as well. Maybe incorporate teamwork more consistently in the series.

Akyon
    Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm

I can't think of anything worse than a Dragonball Next Generation style story. Frankly I'm only here for the antics of the cast we've grown up with throughout the series, I was just about okay with Gohan, then Goten and Trunks got rammed down our throats endlessly in the Buu saga and that nearly killed my interest dead.

If Uub manages to feel different to Kid Gohan, or Pan to a Kid Goku I'll be impressed, but I honestly can't see either of them feeling like their own characters, rather recycling older, more established and better loved characters personalities and tacking them on to a new body. As it is Goten barely feels like his own character.

For my money, a Super continuation is fine, I find it very hard to care about trying to make EoZ fit; if it got altered in some way so Uub isn't met until a few years later than planned I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it. The only thing that matters in the end is Goku going off to train Uub, not sure it matters if Pan is exactly four or Uub is exactly ten at this point, especially after the confusion with Bulla's birth comparitively to Pan's.
    Favourite User quote:
    Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
    1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

perucho1990
    I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:I'd love to see a series that has the middle ground of focusing on the new generation of fighters (Oob, Pan, Bra, Goten and Trunks), while also keeping Goku and Vegeta in the spotlight.
    Honestly this is the best way to do it. Completely removing Goku and some of the others out of the spotlight would annoy some people (Though its no big deal because people constantly cry and whine in this fan base anyway).
    It's best to focus on the potential new gen characters (Uub, Pan, Bra, Goten, Trunks, Marron, possibly 17 three kids, Cabba, Kale, Caulifla, and others) while keeping Goku and co in the spotlight as well. Maybe incorporate teamwork more consistently in the series.
    Pretty much what Boruto is doing, focusing on the new generation(Sarada,Boruto, Mitsuki) while keeping Sasuke and Naruto in the spotlight.

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Adult Trunks and Goten will be ideal. Finally we can see Goten be his own character.

Venus
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 pm

I would actually like a GT remake...

Yep, I don't really love GT, in fact, I pretty much hate a lot of things about it, but I would love a remake of Dragon Ball GT, with all the new stuff we got thanks to Super, there is so much potential to make a much better GT than what we got two decades ago, for example:

"Goku never turns into a kid, the pilaf gang are adults now again from aging, the Black Star Dragon Balls, doesn't exist, yet the Grand Tour still happens, but to search for the Super Dragon Balls, which are now scattered across all 12 (or 18 universes), Baby still happens, but with a different backstory, and from U2, being at least SSJG tier, he would not take over Vegetas body either, SSJ4 would not happen Super 17 arc would be changed in a way so that only the villains re appear, except Frieza, who got revived by Goku, Super 17 won't happen either, instead a whole new android created by Dr Gero and Muu, the Shadow Dragons would still happen, but much stronger of course, Goku would not dissapear with Shenlong at the end, because it wouldn't really be the end yet."

Basaku
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm fine just bringing SSJ4 design into a new post-EOZ show, Kale-Broly way. Give the form to Trunks/Goten or some U6 Saiyans and that's it.

Whatever
    Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:43 pm

As long as we go away from the 'Goku and Vegeta' hsow i will take anything excluding a new generation story because the kids are uniteresting and bland characters.

The_Destroyer
    Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 pm

Katopesla: The Galactic Policeman of Justice

majinwarman
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:00 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
    Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
    Pretty much what Boruto is doing, focusing on the new generation(Sarada,Boruto, Mitsuki) while keeping Sasuke and Naruto in the spotlight.
    But, I think Dragon Ball can do it better if given the chance to develop those characters first. I don't want to force the characters into main character roles unless they deserve it. That can only happen if those characters are developed and fandom growing to like them. Then, they could start moving Goku and Vegeta out of the spotlight.
    Majinwarman
    So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

kemuri07
    Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:Either Super 2 or new db series, just to use all the characters and concepts that have been introduced via tournaments and tell different stories involving them. I mean, not doing that would be modern dragon ball's biggest sin.

EDIT:

Seriously, i can understand the sentiment behind wanting the show to be ended, but that could only work in case there was no more potential or any way to write new interesting
    db stories.

With all these universe being introduced, new characters and even relationships between them (Vegeta being Cabba's mentor, Goku and Hit.....etc) suddenly throwing everything away and not using it would be downright awful. It would pretty much shit on the whole db revival thing that BoG introduced with the concept of other universes.
    Theoretically, sure there's a lot of neato ideas surrounding DBS. The problem is that the writing has consistently dropped the ball in that regard, instead just focusing on blatant fan service or just giving whatever character a power up because "Fuck it."

Z at least had some level of restraint, and the first half of that series is the strongest because there's a focus in developing its central characters (i.e. Remember when Kuririn wasn't completely useless?)., Super is a one-trick poney.