Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Simple question. Where do you want to see DB go when it (presumably) returns after the hiatus in 2019 or so?

Do you want Super Part 2, picking up right after TOP and continuing in the 10-year gap for another 50 or 100 episodes?
Or maybe brand new post-EOZ series?
Or maybe Future Trunks spinoff or another series based on one of the established characters (but not the whole cast)?
Or maybe a prequel series?

Black Hawk
Regular

Re: Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm hoping that the Tournament of Power will come to a close with Episode 131 connecting the story to the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament, with a new series perhaps in early-to-mid 2019 picking up after it.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Reboot it. Either a soft reboot by following a brand new cast of characters in a different universe (probably U6 since it's the one we're most familiar with, but not Cauli & co please) where they can later have these characters meet the old ones, or a hard reboot where they just take the characters, concepts and setting and tell different stories like DC and Marvel do. I'd prefer the first one ideally.

But since it will never happen, a post-EoZ series with a rejuvenated cast is the next best, possible thing for me.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm

It's time for "Dragonball: The Next Generation" obviously moving ahead to EOZ.

The new series will star adult Trunks, Goten, Goku training Uub, Pan, Bra and Marron. Hopefully Gohan stays relevant. It's time for Goku and Vegeta to be retired to the bahamas and all the young kids to take center stage!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm

A Trunks time patrol series.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 pm

I'd watch the shit out of a F Trunks Time Patrol show

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm

I want Super to continue. Don't care for a huge time-skip.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:Reboot it. Either a soft reboot by following a brand new cast of characters in a different universe (probably U6 since it's the one we're most familiar with, but not Cauli & co please) where they can later have these characters meet the old ones, or a hard reboot where they just take the characters, concepts and setting and tell different stories like DC and Marvel do. I'd prefer the first one ideally.

But since it will never happen, a post-EoZ series with a rejuvenated cast is the next best, possible thing for me.
Both of those ideas sound like financial disasters. Who wants to see Dragon Ball with NONE of the characters we know? Without Goku, there is no Dragon Ball. I also doubt that people want to see the show rebooted over and over with different stories.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 pm

I don't have any hopes for Dragon Ball anymore, nor will I expect anything from it. If we get something new, cool, if not... damn it all.

What i would love, but probably will never happen: a reboot with seasons of 12 episodes each, in a good timeslot, with blood, cool dark art and animation (screw Shida, Toshio and put new but talented people), and also, new content of the Dragon Ball world. Even a weekly manga would be cool.

A spin-off series about universe 6 saiyans would be cool for me too.

Anyway, who knows if Dragon Ball will get back only 20 years from now...

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 pm

I’m fine with a timeskip as long as Trunks/Goten become background characters. I don’t care for their adult designs, and I’m not a fan of the “passing the torch” thing. If they’re replaced by Pan and Uub as the “kid” characters in the cast that’s fine with me.

I would like to see Gohan retired. He found a happy medium between training and his career, so he can protect his family if need be but won’t be on the forefront.

Hoping for more of the heavy focus on Goku/Vegeta/Beerus/Whis. Really like the chemistry. If Freeza is brought back to life, would be terrific to have him exist as a factor in the universe.

Would be cool if universes 6 and 11 are brought back and figure into the plots. Though, I’m not a huge fan of the planet Sadala arc idea. Too much focus on the Saiyans is boring IMO, and that would be a matter of lowering the scales.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Something after End of Z or a Dragon Ball Heroes anime focusing on Time Patrol stuff.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Nothing. Just stick to movies.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Definitely a new series based AFTER EoZ. I'm still bitter Resurrection 'F' promised us a story set AFTER THE END OF THE MANGA and we didn't exactly get that. Well, I want THAT. A new series about characters like Uub, Pan, Bra, Goten, Trunks, possibly even Marron - being led from Goku and Vegeta, who take a slight backseat for the new generation. Hell, if Super is canon to this new series - You can even bring in Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale to kind of represent the newer cast/next generation cast of Dragon Ball (even though the U6 Saiyans would now be adults).

Also, Z was titled after a letter and GT after an abbreviation while Super was titled after an adjective- so perhaps a new series can be called DRAGON BALL V after a number, due to being the fifth series? I feel like Dragon Ball V (5) has a nice simple ring to it. Or Dragon Ball Ultra to show that its one step from Super and because of UI like Super with Super Saiyan.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Honestly, it's impossible for me to fully answer this until we see where Super as it is leads off to. I mean -
Basaku wrote:Do you want Super Part 2, picking up right after TOP and continuing in the 10-year gap for another 50 or 100 episodes?
If the end of the Tournament of Power arc doesn't ease right into the End of Z with nothing else happening, then likely I'll be expecting it to pick up again as Super. Might not have the same name (though there's really no reason for it not to use the same name), but it'll probably be more of the same padding in that big ten year period.
Or maybe brand new post-EOZ series?
If, however, it leads into the End-of-Z material in some way, then I'll be expecting/hoping that a new series, likely not named Super (so that when we think Super, we'll think 'the stuff that takes place after the Boo arc but not after the End of Z), will begin to continue off of where the manga left off so long ago. I know I'm not alone in this (as well as knowing that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea), but I really think what we need to see to move forward is the next generation (probably with a heavy emphasis on Pan and Oob) take the reigns of the franchise. Goku will still be utilized, as will all the rest, but it's high time to finally do something with those characters.
Or maybe Future Trunks spinoff or another series based on one of the established characters (but not the whole cast)? Or maybe a prequel series?
These kind of ideas though, I still feel like would be perfect for some kind of yearly TV special deal, somewhat similar to what the Lupin III franchise was doing until recent years. Give us a character special every year or so detailing the background we never got for people like Yamcha, Kuririn, Roshi, etc. Heck, just explore avenues of a whole ton of characters that we'd never get to see in the series proper. It'd be a great way to supplement an ongoing series.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 pm

I wish the series continues as super , there’s tons of possibilities, no need time skip, neither focus in different characters The resolution of this arc will give us clues , but with this news about series ending in 7 chapters from now .. i doubt they can make a perfect ending, so we will need more super
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm

I want the gang to visit the U6 Saiyans.
I want Gohan to become an honorary member of the Pride Troopers.
I want Freeza to become a major threat again.
I want Ribrianne to return (partly just to annoy those that hate her) and see 18's and Krillin's dynamic some more. Maybe meet their daughter.
I want Caulifla to meet the YOUNGEST Super Saiyans ever in Goten and present Trunks, just to see her reaction.

In short, keep Super going, as there is STILL a ton of things they can do with the advent of the new universes.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm

I just wanna get past end of Z already. NO meaningful growth has happened in this shitty "after Buu but before EoZ" and it's getting annoying. Just skip ahead, turn Pan and Uub into major characters, age all the kids up, etcetera. Just make some real and genuine characters and actually have them do cool things and be fleshed out and/or quirky and relevant people. Like Jesus Christ these things are long overdue.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 pm

If there had to be one, I'd love it to take place post-epilogue.

But honestly, I'd like the series to rest again for a while. Seeing the Kanzenshuu wiki finally complete would be more exciting to me than any new material.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 pm

End it with the next movie and keep it dead, it's not worth keeping around when the best it can amount to is cool trash.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:Reboot it. Either a soft reboot by following a brand new cast of characters in a different universe (probably U6 since it's the one we're most familiar with, but not Cauli & co please) where they can later have these characters meet the old ones, or a hard reboot where they just take the characters, concepts and setting and tell different stories like DC and Marvel do. I'd prefer the first one ideally.

Hard reboot! I've been coming up with this idea for Dragon Ball 3K (3 Kingdoms) and I now see the potential of having new stories with this same cast. Like in the story I'm planning, I just hope they nerf Saiyans a little bit to keep the other races relevant. Just nerf Zenkais really, why would you get so much power for LOSING?

I wouldn't mind a continuation, but the power scale has been murdered, resurrected, murdered again, and brought back as a macabre puppet that dances for our perverse entertainment. I'm kind of scared for any new characters that are introduced as they'd be introduced into a world of "planet buster or bust" meaning that they'd have to be really strong right away to matter or they'd be so weak that their chances of survival against any legacy characters would be small. Either scenario sounds bad, but I'd enjoy the second more, because it'd likely feel like the early namek arc. I just don't trust Toei to handle well paced character progression in a world where Jiren exists.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-