Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:28 am

Chuquita wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
One of my biggest fears concerining the ending in March is someone using the super dragon balls to hit the big undo button. To wish away everything that's happened and render it all meaningless with a phrase like "wishing Beerus had never dreamt of a super saiyan god" or "wishing Beerus had never met Goku". It'd wrap it up in an extremely unsatisfyingly neat bow because things could fade to white and it could end the same way it began--Goku farming out back, wondering what Vegeta's up to with only a vague sense that something feels off.

I feel like with the way the Goku Black arc ended that an ending that cruel wouldn't be beyond Toriyama.
Thats not exactly what happened, the black arc with everyone dying. It wasn't reset.

But i do think this arc will have a dark ending.
That is what I meant, that I think it'll be a downer ending like the Goku Black arc, not that that arc was reset.

I've got such mixed feelings on this right now, Super being over in March. I'll see what I think in the morning.
I hope you get a good sleep my friend, I like to think things will Not End on a Dark Level cause If they do the ending of Super will be the least fans and toei will have to worry about.

I like to think No it will end on a positive note, we have to wait and see.

Getting All the Universes Back and Going Forward would be that positive Note I hope, Especially My Universe 2. :)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:34 am

The new show has to be set after the EoZ. This is the perfect time to go there, and it would open up so many opportunities due to it going into uncharted territory. Goku is obviously going nowhere but it would be cool if the new show could make a good use of the younger generation, similar to how DBZ handled Gohan.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:05 am

If the current arc ends on a cliffhanger then it should of course pick up there but if not then I'd like things to move past EOZ as it'll give everyone new designs and maybe bring in new fighters like Goten and Trunks to shake things up from the usual "Goku and Vegeta show".
ekrolo2 wrote:End it with the next movie and keep it dead, it's not worth keeping around when the best it can amount to is cool trash.
If they stop after the next movie then they shouldn't have started in the first place.
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:If Dragon Ball wants to pull a Star Wars prequel trilogy series, the series should be known as Dragon Ball: Origins.
I always thought we'd be stuck in the 10 time gap with Super but if they're going to have a different show every 100 or so episodes then they can really change things up with that. We could get an origins type of show, something like heroes where they go through time, a GT remake that takes current events into account, a show set within the 7 year timeskip before Buu with Gohan as the main characters, etc.

The problem with the above is Goku, Toei wants Goku front and center 24/7 so a lot of those ideas won't be possible.
precita wrote:It's time for "Dragonball: The Next Generation" obviously moving ahead to EOZ.
I was against this for the longest time but if they're going to change the bran every year or 2 then they might as well try something different to justify it but like I said above, Toei is too worried to move onto anything without Goku so I don't know how likely this is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:40 am

Keeping it dead would be best. But, yeah yeah I know it is making money and bladdahbladdahbladdah, so sticking to movies would be ideal. Do a film every two years or so and keep releasing merch and video games as always. Not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

But, realistically it would come back as a TV series to my disappointment in 2020 most likely and will continue from where DBS ended.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:41 am

Asura wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Reboot it. Either a soft reboot by following a brand new cast of characters in a different universe (probably U6 since it's the one we're most familiar with, but not Cauli & co please) where they can later have these characters meet the old ones, or a hard reboot where they just take the characters, concepts and setting and tell different stories like DC and Marvel do. I'd prefer the first one ideally.

But since it will never happen, a post-EoZ series with a rejuvenated cast is the next best, possible thing for me.
Both of those ideas sound like financial disasters. Who wants to see Dragon Ball with NONE of the characters we know? Without Goku, there is no Dragon Ball. I also doubt that people want to see the show rebooted over and over with different stories.
The title of the thread is what kind of series do you want next. I know they wouldn't work out which is why I specifically said they wouldn't happen.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:43 am

I would love if this hiatus would work as that 5 year gap between when the main guys last saw each other (even though chronologically that doesnt work anymore) and that it would return with the end of Z and continue forward from there :thumbup:

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:50 am

A Series that take place after EOZ. Starting with Goku's training with UUB and other characters like Pan, Goten and Trunks should be given some spotlight by introducing a strong generic filler villian for them to take down

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:56 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:We need to cover:

The demon realm
U6 Planet Sadala
Zalama the Dragon God
U13 to u18
U12 first time traveler
Add:
-Why Jiren is so strong
-Can Goku and Vegeta beat Beerus?
-A proper sendoff to Trunks so we can confirm that everything is okay in his new timeline.
-Tien's race. Is he alien, human, or hybrid?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:00 am

Issei189 wrote:A Series that take place after EOZ. Starting with Goku's training with UUB and other characters like Pan, Goten and Trunks should be given some spotlight by introducing a strong generic filler villian for them to take down
Wasting episodes around villains that Goku and the entire old cast could oneshot would be boring, and threat level would be non existent.

We know they're not going anywhere, so yeah. In Boruto the author has excuse (albeit a weak one) of Naruto having lots of office work. Goku obviously isn't like this, so how can they even make the new generation relevant with his presence?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:07 am

Xeogran wrote:
Issei189 wrote:A Series that take place after EOZ. Starting with Goku's training with UUB and other characters like Pan, Goten and Trunks should be given some spotlight by introducing a strong generic filler villian for them to take down
Wasting episodes around villains that Goku and the entire old cast could oneshot would be boring, and threat level would be non existent.

We know they're not going anywhere, so yeah. In Boruto the author has excuse (albeit a weak one) of Naruto having lots of office work. Goku obviously isn't like this, so how can they even make the new generation relevant with his presence?
Kill him off. Make him go on a trip. Have two different plotlines with Goku & Vegeta dealing with a larger threat outside of Earth and Pan & co dealing with a lesser threat on Earth; we could be more invested in Pan's and Oob's fight if their villain gets more screentime and is more charismatic to watch. Have Goku injure himself so badly he loses most of his powers either permanently or temporarily. The villain gets to him first and makes it so they can't reach Goku somehow.

Plenty of things you can do if you want to make it work and aren't out of creativity.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 am

Doctor. wrote:
Kill him off. Make him go on a trip. Have two different plotlines with Goku & Vegeta dealing with a larger threat outside of Earth and Pan & co dealing with a lesser threat on Earth; we could be more invested in Pan's and Oob's fight if their villain gets more screentime and is more charismatic to watch. Have Goku injure himself so badly he loses most of his powers either permanently or temporarily. The villain gets to him first and makes it so they can't reach Goku somehow.

Plenty of things you can do if you want to make it work and aren't out of creativity.
Or just did what Star Wars did with 'old trio'. Kill some, have others be in mentor/leadership roles while the focus is still on the new young cast.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 am

The only way to get around having villains who aren’t as strong as Goku and Vegeta come is magic. Add more magic users that can somehow get rid of Goku and Vegeta from the equation. Whether isn’t teleporting them to a void or injecting them with some brain scrambling magic. And the younger generation with the U6 saiyans included could work together to free goku and Vegeta and beat the villains back.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 am

Honestly....

I'd be totes okay if DBS, or anything Dragonball for that matter, didn't make a return. Not because I dislike the franchise, but mostly because I see no point in continuing. I mean, where do we go from here? Vegeta and Goku taking on another big bad? More transformations? What's the point?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 am

I'd want a continuation of Super as it is, if only because it only really hit peak quality on the back half and the expanded universe it created deserves more focus than it got. Ideally, there should have been something between Goku Black and the Tournament of Power (meaning a full arc, not the slice of life break we got, which in fairness was pretty good). Something that could have built up all these Universes so them being put on the chopping block in the ToP could have had some weight behind it.

Since that's not the way it went, I'd like it if we could get a followup that had the gang actually exploring those Universes. Planet Sadala is an obvious place to start and a big missed opportunity, but you could also throw in Universe 11 or the four exempt ones as well. I wouldn't want anything else big that would try to "top" the Tournament of Power, as stakes go you can't get much higher than that. Just a decent story-driven arc that could wrap up any loose ends that might not have been given the proper time in the ToP. For example, I expect episode 131 will wrap up that arc's biggest lingering threads like Freeza or the wish on the Super Dragon Balls (unless it ends on a cliffhanger, in which case this is all academic), but I still want Super to end with a Goku/Beerus rematch to bring things full circle, and I doubt we'll get that before the show ends.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:17 am

Totamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:End it with the next movie and keep it dead, it's not worth keeping around when the best it can amount to is cool trash.
Hmm this guy right here, he be brilliant at making money.
What's good for business isn't by default right or good for the story.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:50 am

I hope we will finally get post-Z series, and please Toei, do not rush it, BoG and F arcs were worst DB animation related arcs in my opinion.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Hmm this guy right here, he be brilliant at making money.
Never said it did, but if the best story made no money, that story ends right there.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 am

A U2 series,everyone will love that.In all seriousness,I just don't want to see a next generation series.May be it picks off where it left,would be fine with me.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am

Totamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Totamo wrote: Hmm this guy right here, he be brilliant at making money.
Never said it did, but if the best story made no money, that story ends right there.
Which is better then a story that ran out of steam decades ago limping along like an old limping dog that doesn't need to be put down so much as it needs to get nuked ten times over.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Totamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: What's good for business isn't by default right or good for the story.
Which is better then a story that ran out of steam decades ago limping along like an old limping dog that doesn't need to be put down so much as it needs to get nuked ten times over.
A story thats dead because it made no money is better than a story that makes money even though its limping? At least one is doing something.