Should Dragonball continue as a series or as movies?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Should Dragonball continue as a series or as movies?

Post by SirTorra » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 am

With recently confirmed news that Dragonball Super is ending on April 1 its time for a little speculation. We know that Dragonball will continue in the form of a new yet untitled movie later this year. What we don't know is what's gonna happen after that. So my question for all of you is should Dragonball continue as a weekly series. Perhaps a seasonal series? Or would it be best for Dragonball to focus on movies instead? Perhaps a movie every other year with some OVA in between? What would be the best for Dragonballs future? How would you go about it?

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Should Dragonball continue as a series or as movies?

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 am

SirTorra wrote:With recently confirmed news that Dragonball Super is ending on April 1 its time for a little speculation. We know that Dragonball will continue in the form of a new yet untitled movie later this year. What we don't know is what's gonna happen after that. So my question for all of you is should Dragonball continue as a weekly series. Perhaps a seasonal series? Or would it be best for Dragonball to focus on movies instead? Perhaps a movie every other year with some OVA in between? What would be the best for Dragonballs future? How would you go about it?
Personally, I would prefer the movie route. A movie every other year doesn't sound too bad.

However, if the movie does well... then they'll probably just start up another series.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 am

Both. There's no reason why we can't have both. A movie every two years and an episode every week.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 am

While both is most certainly a realistic option, for the sake of the thread, I'll try to pick just one.

I immensely preferred the film versions of Battle of Gods and Revival of F, so I want to lean toward the movies option, but I've come to immensely enjoy watching Dragon Ball episodes as they release in real-time for the first time since I watched GT live back in the mid-90s. It's a really tough call but, since we've got the manga (which I view as just as good as the movies) to accompany the anime, I'll pick the series option.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 am

Bullza wrote:Both. There's no reason why we can't have both. A movie every two years and an episode every week.
Although its possible, i don't believe toei has the necessary resources to pull it off unless you're okay with a below average weekly series in terms of visuals. Also the cast is fairly old. I would assume movies would be easier for them.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 am

You can't make competent use of this current cast in movies though.

A show can either set up an adventure or some team of bad guys to fight (around 10).

Otherwise everyone would just get glorified cameos fighting insignificant dudes while Goku and Vegeta shine.

And yes you could argue that's also the case in the show, but hell, at least we got Gohan and 17 up there, and Roshi+18 did amazing too.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 am

SirTorra wrote:
Bullza wrote:Both. There's no reason why we can't have both. A movie every two years and an episode every week.
Although its possible, i don't believe toei has the necessary resources to pull it off unless you're okay with a below average weekly series in terms of visuals. Also the cast is fairly old. I would assume movies would be easier for them.
They do it with One Piece. That had a weekly series and has had some high budget anime movies. It even has them TV specials on top it as well.

I don't see why it can't be done with Dragon Ball especially when it brings in far more money worldwide as a franchise. They could always replace the voice actors too.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 am

Unless they're going to take this series as more than a merchandise commercial and up the qualiity, just give me a movie once a year.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:21 am

This. Make a weekly show for long stories and movies for short ones.

If I had to pick one and only one then I'd go with a show as they can get more done there compared to movies that we'll just get every 2-3 years.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 am

They do need some break in between though. I'd rather they go with a seasonal approach like most anime. It ensures that the staff won't be overworked and we could get less padding as a result of more focused episodes (my hope anyway.)
They could always replace the voice actors too.
Blasphemy! The only way this is okay is if they do a reboot. Even then I'd be sad.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:50 am

BWri wrote:Blasphemy! The only way this is okay is if they do a reboot. Even then I'd be sad.
Voices change all the time so it's not a big deal. It'd be best if they're replaced from the start when they're still alive.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:59 am

sintzu wrote:
BWri wrote:Blasphemy! The only way this is okay is if they do a reboot. Even then I'd be sad.
Voices change all the time so it's not a big deal. It'd be best if they're replaced from the start when they're still alive.
It's different for a legacy show like DB. The VA are the characters and many fans grew up with these voices. There'd be so much fan outrage if they did. Plus these actors worked their butts off in these roles. It just wouldn't be right to simply replace them, especially if its these same characters and not reimagined version of them. At this point it'd just be odd, like replacing the entire cast of The Simpsons.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 am

I say take a break then come in swinging. Better animation, better writing, going off the manga for fight scenes and choreography. If we're doing a hiatus then we need to do it right.

If it's ending, well, then I really don't know what to say

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 am

BWri wrote:
sintzu wrote:
It's different for a legacy show like DB. The VA are the characters and many fans grew up with these voices. There'd be so much fan outrage if they did. Plus these actors worked their butts off in these roles. It just wouldn't be right to simply replace them, especially if its these same characters and not reimagined version of them. At this point it'd just be odd, like replacing the entire cast of The Simpsons.
Yes it would be simple since Roshi, Tien, and Mr. Satan have different VAs.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 am

Murata takes over and makes a new WSJ manga
I can dream

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 am

I never cared about DB movies. A weekly series would be ideal, but for me the best scenario would be DBS being produced for 12 episodes each season, with more blood, darker, with the best animation and art possible, with more drama and departing a little bit from Toriyama's original idea. A show rated 17+.

Anyway, this will never happen.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 am

My opinion is that they will switch to movies as the primary driver while throwing series in at various points.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:37 am

Kanious wrote:I never cared about DB movies. A weekly series would be ideal, but for me the best scenario would be DBS being produced for 12 episodes each season, with more blood, darker, with the best animation and art possible, with more drama and departing a little bit from Toriyama's original idea. A show rated 17+.

Anyway, this will never happen.
12 episodes each season would be 1 week off per cour which is pretty close to what they already do.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:44 am

I'd prefer a 12-24 episode season model if it did came back, it would be a big benefit to both the production side and the storytelling. I think a movie per year would be too limiting in terms of the type of stories you can tell.

Really, the seasonal model is the best way to go just in general, but they're unfortunately committed to having a show filling that time-slot every week. A regular series is the easiest way to do that; milestones or special project like Kitaro can't be relied on to fill a slot every week.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:24 pm

I agree with Bullza in the fact that they can have both a series and movies. They just need to take their time and make sure they have a proper schedule in place for the movies and TV show so the quality doesn't noticeably dip. It's worked wonders for One Piece and Precure and there's no reason it can't work for Dragon Ball.