Why do you think Super is ending ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why do you think Super is ending ?

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 pm

I truly believe Dragonball is merely taking a hiatus. I think this break is going to give time for both the animators to focus on the movie in December, as well as give Toyotaro a chance to get the Manga caught up and possibly begin the next chapter. But I don't see this as the end of Dragonball. The franchise is estimated to make nearly 48 billion yen between merchandise, video games, etc.

Will it be "Super" or will they choose a new name? Who can say. But overall, I think this break will be a healthy thing for the series. Give everyone a chance to sit down and get some good writing, solid animation, and maybe have the manga decide going forward what happens. Time will tell!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I'm thinking the Tournament of Power was intended to be the conclusion of Super from conception and the new movie was planned because of that rather than Super ending because of the movie. I've noted it in a couple other threads but there are a lot of bookend elements with Battle of Gods here and it feels like an appropriate place to stop in a lot of respects. Super started with Goku fighting and failing to match up with Beerus, and now he and Vegeta are facing down the man stronger than the gods themselves. It brings that plot line to a head as well as everything Whis was trying to teach them from Resurrection F onwards. I think the other four Universes were left out so that the viewer is left with the feeling that there are still other challenges out there waiting for Goku and co. We just aren't going to see them (yet).

I don't really think there's any hidden motive here, just the story reaching a planned conclusion for now.
I agree this was always the predetermined conclusion, this was my posit since it was announced stated in the Champa arc. They always knew where and how they were going to end the series.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:40 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I truly believe Dragonball is merely taking a hiatus. I think this break is going to give time for both the animators to focus on the movie in December, as well as give Toyotaro a chance to get the Manga caught up and possibly begin the next chapter. But I don't see this as the end of Dragonball. The franchise is estimated to make nearly 48 billion yen between merchandise, video games, etc.

Will it be "Super" or will they choose a new name? Who can say. But overall, I think this break will be a healthy thing for the series. Give everyone a chance to sit down and get some good writing, solid animation, and maybe have the manga decide going forward what happens. Time will tell!
It's not the end of Dragon Ball at all. Merely the end of this series and brand in my opinion.
That doesn't mean the brand is going away either and things will continue to be sold under the brand.
I have no idea if the brand itself is solvent but this will almost definitely make it solvent and they will sell things under the brand for a long time after just like every other DB series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Bullza wrote:I have no idea, Super is the most popular anime in the world right now easily. Why they'd cancel that and replace it with some unknown series that nobody outside of Japan will watch baffles me.
If they're moving everyone over to the movie then it makes sense to stop it for awhile instead of letting the quality drop like what happened during RF.
MKCSTEALTH wrote:Will it be "Super" or will they choose a new name? Who can say.

But overall, I think this break will be a healthy thing for the series.
If it's set after EOZ which I think it will then it'll be a new show to go with the new designs and characters.

Not only is this good for the production team but also the fans as it'll help prevent franchise fatigue and brand saturation.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:48 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bullza wrote:I have no idea, Super is the most popular anime in the world right now easily. Why they'd cancel that and replace it with some unknown series that nobody outside of Japan will watch baffles me.
If they're moving everyone over to the movie then it makes sense to stop it for awhile instead of letting the quality drop like what happened during RF.
But why make the movie in the first place if it requires you to stop the show. If they had to pick continuing the anime or making a movie wouldn't they pick the one that makes the most money.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:53 pm

TheMikado wrote:If they had to pick continuing the anime or making a movie wouldn't they pick the one that makes the most money.
Unlike the show, the movie makes them a lot of $$$ so they'll get the merchandise sales they get from the anime alongside box office revenue & home video sales.

What the anime does to make up for its lack of $$$ is huge franchise exposure on a weekly basis which increases merchandise and game sales, something a movie can't do.

Another thing a movie can't do is keep up with the amount of material a show is capable of providing.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm

But why couldn't they do both?

Detective Conan has an ongoing series a yearly movie and so does Pokémon. One Piece has an ongoing series and also has a big event movie every few years.

Why couldn't they do the same with Dragon Ball? It's not like there's a One Piece movie either this year.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:20 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:If they had to pick continuing the anime or making a movie wouldn't they pick the one that makes the most money.
Unlike the show, the movie makes them a lot of $$$ so they'll get the merchandise sales they get from the anime alongside box office revenue & home video sales.

What the anime does to make up for its lack of $$$ is huge franchise exposure on a weekly basis which increases merchandise and game sales, something a movie can't do.

Another thing a movie can't do is keep up with the amount of material a show is capable of providing.
I wholeheartedly agree with this, likely ideally two movies in two years followed by a two year anime rotation.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:27 pm

TheMikado wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with this, likely ideally two movies in two years followed by a two year anime rotation.
I think this is what might happen as that's how super went. Super started after RF and ended before the new movie went into production so the next show could last from when the next movie ends until the next one goes into production which could be in 2021.

That would be a good way to do things as each product won't be held back by the other but hopefully that doesn't result in more movie arcs.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:19 pm

TheMikado wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I'm thinking the Tournament of Power was intended to be the conclusion of Super from conception and the new movie was planned because of that rather than Super ending because of the movie. I've noted it in a couple other threads but there are a lot of bookend elements with Battle of Gods here and it feels like an appropriate place to stop in a lot of respects. Super started with Goku fighting and failing to match up with Beerus, and now he and Vegeta are facing down the man stronger than the gods themselves. It brings that plot line to a head as well as everything Whis was trying to teach them from Resurrection F onwards. I think the other four Universes were left out so that the viewer is left with the feeling that there are still other challenges out there waiting for Goku and co. We just aren't going to see them (yet).

I don't really think there's any hidden motive here, just the story reaching a planned conclusion for now.
I agree this was always the predetermined conclusion, this was my posit since it was announced stated in the Champa arc. They always knew where and how they were going to end the series.
Right, and even with the anime concluded there's plenty of other stuff coming on plus the manga carrying on the Super brand through the end of the year at least. We're still getting Z-branded stuff and that ended in 1995. :lol: There'll be new DB stuff coming down the pipe, that much is certain.

Toyotaro said at Napoli Comicon last year that they were making preparations to steer Super into End of Z, but they weren't sure where they were going to end for sure. I think what will happen is that we'll get an episode or two of aftermath for the tournament dealing with the wish and whatnot, then the last one will be a four year timeskip that dovetails right into the End of Z to tie things up in a little bow. If the movie uses Sadala like I think it might, it could be set within the four year window. By time Toyotaro gets to that point in the manga he could probably go straight from the ToP into a movie adaptation. If any of that happens, of course.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm going to do a shot in the dark and say Toriyama and Toei agreed to do a manga first run going forward. Toyotaro, Naho Ooishi, and Dragongarrow Lee led by Toriyama will work on a new Dragonball Series, and the anime will come back with Dragonball Super Z in 2020 or 2021.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Because the story has come to a close and it's been rather obvious that the Universe Survival arc would be the last since it's inception. The movie was likely thought of around the same time that this arc was and was probably not going to start production until Super ended
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm

It's not cancelled it's just ending, this all seemed planned given it's Kitaro's anniversary and Toei go above and beyond for Kitaro (for the 40th anniversary they had 6 versions of a film for different regions of Japan that was in production for 2 years!)

But given all that it does feel odd, I'll give you that. Especially when in press releases and what not Toei like to brag about how successful and acclaimed DBS is.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 pm

There is no reason why it should end right after the ToP, I don't get any logic behind it.

Fans want it to continue, also.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:47 am

Toyotaro also mentioned going into EoZ soon, i think the Super manga will continue and the movie is to bridge super and the next generation before launching a new anime.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:41 am

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:There is no reason why it should end right after the ToP, I don't get any logic behind it.

Fans want it to continue, also.
If the people working on it are going to move to the movie then it makes sense as working on both will ewsult in 2 bad quality products.

Fans also want good production so stopping for awhile is thr right move to make.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 am

Theories:

A) Something going on behind the scenes in regard to Toriyama.

B) Toei is obligated to do a new Kitaro production every ten years as is tradition.

C) Somehow a hiatus saves money in the long game; maybe all the extra costs due to the rushed schedule were adding up. This presumes they'll get a normal preproduction upon return from hiatus.

D) They think it'll be cheaper and more profitable to do movies instead.

Ultimately we may never know.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 am

Chuquita wrote:Theories:

A) Something going on behind the scenes in regard to Toriyama.

B) Toei is obligated to do a new Kitaro production every ten years as is tradition.

C) Somehow a hiatus saves money in the long game; maybe all the extra costs due to the rushed schedule were adding up. This presumes they'll get a normal preproduction upon return from hiatus.

D) They think it'll be cheaper and more profitable to do movies instead.

Ultimately we may never know.
More money is saved when they just focus on the movie cause they won't be wasting time on un-important episodes and if Super stoppiong results in a better produced movie then that'll bring in more $$$ which will result in Super returning better than before.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:38 am

FoolsGil wrote:I'm going to do a shot in the dark and say Toriyama and Toei agreed to do a manga first run going forward. Toyotaro, Naho Ooishi, and Dragongarrow Lee led by Toriyama will work on a new Dragonball Series, and the anime will come back with Dragonball Super Z in 2020 or 2021.
As much as that'd be awesome I don't see it happening.