Why do you think Super is ending ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Why do you think Super is ending ?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:15 pm

To be perfectly frank, Super ending after the ToP makes sense. Where else could they possibly go after an arc with such insanely high stakes, and an incredibly powerful foe? The only direction I could think of for where they could go is if they did in fact decide to make the Grand Priest a villain, and they don’t appear to be doing that.

So yeah, I can’t say I’m surprised about the series reportedly ending soon.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:58 pm

My guess is, it isnt because one reason but multiple. Them being:

1.Upcoming movie, so they proly need the staff to work on the movie.
2. Toriyama's story or outline concludes at the ToP, where Goku finally surpasses or gets to the level of the hakaishin.
3. The Kitaro thing.

Super is over, the ToP is the final arc and no doubt we will get an episode where it shows end of Z with Uub and Goku flying off to train him.

Now for dragon ball as a whole? Lol, ofc it isnt over, we will get new movies,series,games etc. But the Super part of DB will reach its end in march.

And to those saying a series with a next generation? Not going to happen, Goku is and always will be the main character and the story will always revolve around him. The guy has a day dedicated to himself in Japan for crying out loud.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Because of the lack of respect and consistency they showed the characters and product.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:47 am

JulianStyles wrote:Because of the lack of respect and consistency they showed the characters and product.
Imagine if this is actually it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 am

buutenks wrote:And to those saying a series with a next generation? Not going to happen, Goku is and always will be the main character and the story will always revolve around him. The guy has a day dedicated to himself in Japan for crying out loud.
If we're going to get a new series every few years then they could try something new every now and then like a nex gen show.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:37 am

hardcorefakes wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Because of the lack of respect and consistency they showed the characters and product.
Its is.

Spoilers

Why are people upset today? Because with Gohans elimination. It means 17 has surpassed him. Toshio a writer stated they were equal. Well 17 won. And has been more confident and bad ass. So 17 a character whos never been a bad guy. Someone Gohan surpassed at 11 is now stronger than him?

Also the hype Toei gace Gohan. Making him go against SSBkk Goku. If Gohan entered the tournament like he is in the manga. Him gaining mystic back in the tournament would have more of a impact. Also him being the leader is not the manga. So by Toei doing this. They gave people false expectations and hope. I can do a breakdown of how they botched almost every old and nee character.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 am

JulianStyles wrote:
hardcorefakes wrote:
Its is.

Spoilers

Why are people upset today? Because with Gohans elimination. It means 17 has surpassed him. Toshio a writer stated they were equal. Well 17 won. And has been more confident and bad ass. So 17 a character whos never been a bad guy. Someone Gohan surpassed at 11 is now stronger than him?

Also the hype Toei gace Gohan. Making him go against SSBkk Goku. If Gohan entered the tournament like he is in the manga. Him gaining mystic back in the tournament would have more of a impact. Also him being the leader is not the manga. So by Toei doing this. They gave people false expectations and hope. I can do a breakdown of how they botched almost every old and nee character.
Cool story bro.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:50 am

Totamo wrote:Guys, its to focus on the movie and to rebrand the series.

The one piece movie fried Super's productions and the yugioh movie destroyed arc v and vrans.

Thats all there is to it.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Kitaro is quite popular/beloved in Japan, its anime 50th anniversary is a big deal, and this time slot is a long-running tradition for the series. DBS is wrapping up a long, massive arc and has a movie in development, and the animation team(s) are already pretty taxed, so I think it makes sense that something's gotta give for the time being (especially considering the bad press the show got for rushed animation at points). Narratively even, taking a breather after ToP makes a lot of sense; I'd prefer some wind-down "slice of life" episodes as more of an epilogue, but that depends on how they want to end the arc. It could end on some sort of cliffhanger to be picked up on when the show returns (assuming Super comes back as-is). Otherwise I'm worried it'll be a really abrupt ending, considering the pace of the arc and how few episodes remain...

I'm definitely not convinced Super is ending at all. All of the announcements/responses have been kinda cagey and non-committal about the show's status, but if the series was for-sure ending, I'd think they'd announce it that way and make a bigger deal about the finale.

This way they get to hype up the movie as a major release (and getting all of the DB hype as Super is on hiatus), and then get to return from hiatus with a big push too. If they handle it right, it could be a big boost for the franchise/series on the whole.

JulianStyles wrote:Why are people upset today? Because with Gohans elimination. It means 17 has surpassed him. Toshio a writer stated they were equal. Well 17 won. And has been more confident and bad ass. So 17 a character whos never been a bad guy. Someone Gohan surpassed at 11 is now stronger than him?
I totally get the frustration from character-fan perspectives, but... a battle royale tournament is a different beast. Outlasting a certain fighter doesn't mean you've "surpassed" them on a strength or technical level, necessarily. It just means you had different luck, or your skills are better suited to that style of tournament, or any number of random elements that aren't a factor in a traditional tournament. So that kind of thing doesn't bother me so much. This tournament was designed to be kind of unpredictable.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:
hardcorefakes wrote:
Its is.

Spoilers

Cool story bro.
Cool story bro indeed. For someone to think that's the legitimate reason why it's ending, despite how much money Super makes is an impressive amount of delusion and ignorance
Last edited by Ilikepictures-meh on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 am

Bryesque wrote:I'm worried it'll be a really abrupt ending, considering the pace of the arc and how few episodes remain.
If they just wrap up the arc itself then 1 episode should be enough as I think Toppo will get 125-127 while Jiren 128-130. If they try to do that AND remake EOZ then it most likely will be rushed.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Theories:

A) Something going on behind the scenes in regard to Toriyama.

B) Toei is obligated to do a new Kitaro production every ten years as is tradition.

C) Somehow a hiatus saves money in the long game; maybe all the extra costs due to the rushed schedule were adding up. This presumes they'll get a normal preproduction upon return from hiatus.

D) They think it'll be cheaper and more profitable to do movies instead.

Ultimately we may never know.
More money is saved when they just focus on the movie cause they won't be wasting time on un-important episodes and if Super stoppiong results in a better produced movie then that'll bring in more $$$ which will result in Super returning better than before.
I guess I can live with this scenario if this is what happens. 8)
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:I guess I can live with this scenario if this is what happens. 8)
DB is like any franchise so if the merchandise and games stop selling and the new movie flops at the box office then of course it won't be back but there's no reason to worry about that as the franchise is at an all time high.

FighterZ is going to sell above everyone expectations based on the great word of mouth it's gotten form both fans and the press. The new movie if marketed right can surpass RF's 65 million box office.

As long as things keep going the way they've been then Super will be back and stronger than ever, hopefully in April.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

If this was the reason and they admitted it, then i would respect them for that.

Vegito Black
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegito Black » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 am

WittyUsername wrote:To be perfectly frank, Super ending after the ToP makes sense. Where else could they possibly go after an arc with such insanely high stakes, and an incredibly powerful foe? The only direction I could think of for where they could go is if they did in fact decide to make the Grand Priest a villain, and they don’t appear to be doing that.

One simple thing, the pharshig of the wish. If Vegeta won and then took pity on all the other universes besides just six he could say "restore the universes destroyed by Zeno in this timeline" (this timeline I avoid zamasu revival as h b came the universe in FT arc altough even if that's left out it could be zamasu isn't revived with the universe) doing so restores universes 13-18 giving us a villain that was destroyed in that timeline that was to powerful or something.

The remaining 4 universes we didn't see fight.

Plant salad (theory of mine is this is where the moive takes place we get a flash back of yamoshi because the king explains the story he thought was myth and then this introduces the villain of the movie because he's tied to yamoshi or something)

Evil or rebelling angels

Zarama (we've yet to even see his face in the story that's about his dragon balls) and the connection to him and then namekiens

An after eoz arc with pan and uub redeeming their gt selfes

Beerus rematch

Fighting the other God's would be nice too

There several ideas

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 am

Vegito Black wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:To be perfectly frank, Super ending after the ToP makes sense. Where else could they possibly go after an arc with such insanely high stakes, and an incredibly powerful foe? The only direction I could think of for where they could go is if they did in fact decide to make the Grand Priest a villain, and they don’t appear to be doing that.

One simple thing, the pharshig of the wish. If Vegeta won and then took pity on all the other universes besides just six he could say "restore the universes destroyed by Zeno in this timeline" (this timeline I avoid zamasu revival as h b came the universe in FT arc altough even if that's left out it could be zamasu isn't revived with the universe) doing so restores universes 13-18 giving us a villain that was destroyed in that timeline that was to powerful or something.

Plant salad (theory of mine is this is where the moive takes place we get a flash back of yamoshi because the king explains the story he thought was myth and then this introduces the villain of the movie because he's tied to yamoshi or something)

Evil or rebelling angels

Zarama (we've yet to even see his face in the story that's about his dragon balls) and the connection to him and then namekiens

Beerus rematch

There several ideas
Jiren is the strongest mortal in all the universes. Goku does not wish to surpass or match Whis, he wishes to match Beerus. Jiren is above the GoDs, so Goku will finally get that and the reason the 4 universes was omitted were 100% because creating another 40 mostly fodder chars for u7 to kick out was pointless.

Evil or rebelling angels? What, seriously. GP and the Angels arent evil, they are neutral. It's like saying nature is evil so we must defeat it, lol.

Zaram is like the book of namekian legends, a plot device to move the plot forward.

Why do they need redeeming? Why do you think Toei cares or Toriyama cares about some side story versions of some end of Z chars that got 2-3 pages of screen time?

Jiren is Beerus, metaphorically. So there is your rematch.

They story is over. Since BoG, Goku's goal was to surpass Beerus. In this arc, thanks to UI he will get that chance.

Plus Toriyama is out of ideas, even FT arc happened due to others giving this idea to Toriyama. The only reason some of you think there are stuff not explained or were promised is because Toei just enjoys hyping things up for no reason. Like the Gohan thing with i will get a different ultimate form. How did any of you actually believed this would happen? This Toei BS at it's finest. The only thing that was hyped was UI. Even Vegeta's beyond ssj blue form is simply a Toei addition to match Goku's KK, which is also a Toei thing.

Vegito Black
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegito Black » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 am

buutenks wrote:
Vegito Black wrote:

Evil or rebelling angels

Beerus rematch

There several ideas
Jiren is the strongest mortal in all the universes. Goku does not wish to surpass or match Whis, he wishes to match Beerus. Jiren is above the GoDs, so Goku will finally get that and the reason the 4 universes was omitted were 100% because creating another 40 mostly fodder chars for u7 to kick out was pointless.

Evil or rebelling angels? What, seriously. GP and the Angels arent evil, they are neutral. It's like saying nature is evil so we must defeat it, lol.

Zaram is like the book of namekian legends, a plot device to move the plot forward.

Why do they need redeeming? Why do you think Toei cares or Toriyama cares about some side story versions of some end of Z chars that got 2-3 pages of screen time?

Jiren is Beerus, metaphorically. So there is your rematch.

They story is over. Since BoG, Goku's goal was to surpass Beerus. In this arc, thanks to UI he will get that chance.

Plus Toriyama is out of ideas, even FT arc happened due to others giving this idea to Toriyama. The only reason some of you think there are stuff not explained or were promised is because Toei just enjoys hyping things up for no reason. Like the Gohan thing with i will get a different ultimate form. How did any of you actually believed this would happen? This Toei BS at it's finest. The only thing that was hyped was UI. Even Vegeta's beyond ssj blue form is simply a Toei addition to match Goku's KK, which is also a Toei thing.
Strongest in all the universes currently in existence (also there could be someone even stronger in the remaining universes that remained hidden/no one knows about and even the God's would come across him by accident)

Now what about the erased universes (13-18) that we saw nothing of they could have someone above the go for all we know.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Vegito Black wrote: Strongest in all the universes currently in existence (also there could be someone even stronger in the remaining universes that remained hidden/no one knows about and even the God's would come across him by accident)

Now what about the erased universes (13-18) that we saw nothing of they could have someone above the go for all we know.
I'm afraid the 6 universes were simply there for them to show Zeno's power.Basically the reason for their existence is to be destroyed by Zeno. There is no grand scheme or plot or whatever. They existed to be erased, it is simple.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

hardcorefakes wrote:
i really doubt that. DBS has been really really consistent about the characters, and Gohan is our biggest and best example of steady consistency
JulianStyles wrote:Someone Gohan surpassed at 11 is now stronger than him?

- Gohan was stronger than Goku at 11. And soon after Cell's arc... Goku was stronger than Gohan.

- Gohan's hype was all inside the mind of the Gohan's fanbase. Didn't Krilin and #18 sparred against Goku SSB? SSBkk Goku smashed Gohan in seconds. Also, it appears that Gohan's fanbase ignored Gohan ending a match in a draw against one of U9' wolves, Gohan struggling against Piccolo and Krilin while sparring with them, and the little, almost inexistent training Gohan had in the last 14 DB years. Also, in the tournament, no one wanted to follow Gohan's leardership besides the weakest characters from the team, and Gohan struggled against many opponents in the tournament itself.

- Team leadership doesn't mean nothing at all, as we've seen leaders of many universes being knocked out early.

I doubt DBS ending has anything to do with Gohan's demise, or that this itself has any impact on the series;

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm

This might be an unpopular reason, but I think it’s partially due to how Toei has handled Super by allowing the anime to take the lead. There are times where I wonder if the people working on the show are even dragon ball fans. Story wise it just seems.... sloppy. Like they skimmed through the dragon ball/Z mangas to get an idea about the characters and not really “know” the show. I’m sure we are not the only ones complaining.

I’m hoping that with anime ending, it’ll allow the manga (at some point down the road) take the lead and toei be forced to follow the manga. I know they’re different, but surely they can find some way to tie them together. I personally like certain aspects of the manga vs the anime and vice verca. But if I had to choose, I think the manga is doing a better job sometimes.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm

1. Opponents from the universes exempted from the ToP. There's bound to be someone stronger than Jiren there.
2. Opponents from even the included universes. A previous God of Destruction, an ancient evil released/revived. All the universes are blank slates.
3. One of the Gods of Destruction going rogue.
4. One of the Angels going rogue.
5. Opponents from the future if you're really desperate; open up a new timeline with a new threat.

That is, if you want to continue with Goku & co at the helm. If you want to make a next-gen story, there's even more possibilities.