Vegeta may never discover Beerus is responsible for his planet's end

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Vegeta may never discover Beerus is responsible for his planet's end

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 pm

With Super ending, do you think this plot thread will ever get resolved? Everyone keeps talking about the fact that there's more to explore in Super such as the newer universes and such and such, but the fact remains: I don't think we ever had a moment where Vegeta found out Beerus ordered the destruction of Planet Vegeta. I understand Dragon Ball is not Attack on Titan or something alone those lines so it will probably remain Beerus and Whis' little secret, but I would've like some reaction out of Vegeta. Perhaps, Vegeta does find out and doesn't care OR he finds out and decides to take his revenge by defeating Beerus, restoring the honor of his planet. Just something, but with Super ending - We may not get it and once again: I understand not everything needs resolution, but it'd be nice at least.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: Vegeta may never discover Beerus is responsible for his planet's end

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I am pretty sure that was a dub change. I think the real line was that Beerus agreed with Freeza about the saiyans needing to be wiped out and not that he ordered it.
Also :

Beerus job is to destroy civilizations and Freeza was the one who actually did it.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:I am pretty sure that was a dub change. I think the real line was that Beerus agreed with Freeza about the saiyans needing to be wiped out and not that he ordered it.
Also :

Beerus job is to destroy civilizations and Freeza was the one who actually did it.
Rrrrgh, I like DB's dub sometimes better than sub but if this is indeed a dub change - That's really annoying. Had all this anticipation for nothing.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 pm

This is from a translation from Akira Toriyama's from the movie:

-

Freeza: “W-What?!”
Vegeta: “You destroyed my world, Planet Vegeta! How could I possibly be loyal to you?”

*Freeza glares at Vegeta.*

Whis: *whispering* “Oh, but then, Lord Beerus was also in favor of Planet Vegeta’s destruction.”
Beerus: “SSSHH! Pipe down!”

-

And now this is the script from the same scene now only from the Funimation dub:

-

Freeza: "Eugh! You dare say that to me?!"
Vegeta: "Use your head... Do you actually think i'll stay loyal to you after you blew up the planet I was destined to rule?!"

*Freeza grumbling in anger.*

Whis: *whispering* "Well I wonder what the prince would do if he knew you authorized Planet Vegeta's destruction from the start."
Beerus: “SSSHH! Keep that under wraps!”

-

Yeah, it seems as if Beerus was mainly just agreeing with Freeza's decision for destroying the planet. Not operating the planet's destruction. Two different things. I think the dub writer for the script just made an error/was confused.
Last edited by superfan2024 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:46 pm

superfan2024 wrote:This was from Akira Toriyama's script translation from the movie. Which is the main source:

-

Vegeta: “You destroyed my world, Planet Vegeta! How could I possibly be loyal to you?”

Freeza glares at Vegeta.

Whis: *whispering* “Oh, but then, Lord Beerus was also in favor of Planet Vegeta’s destruction.”

-

Yeah, it seems as if Beerus was mainly just agreeing with Freeza's decision for destroying the planet. Not operating the planet's destruction. Two different things. I think the dub writer for the script just made an error/was confused.
Oh, got it. So, it was more of a I WAAS IN FAVOR OF IT rather than I DIRECTLY ORDERED IT sort of thing. Dammit, dub. When you make changes like that, you give dub haters more ammo!!! Then again, it was just a mistake used in BoG so it has no effect on Super (as far as I know). It sucks, I've been watching the sub and I can't believe I missed that because I never saw BoG subbed.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Oh, got it. So, it was more of a I WAAS IN FAVOR OF IT rather than I DIRECTLY ORDERED IT sort of thing.
Pretty much. :)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:15 pm

It seems like Beerus just gave his OK for it being destroyed which shouldn't surprise Vegeta as he even tried to destroy earth.

I do think it should come up later just to see Vegeta's reaction.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Didn't Super have this be the case though in early BoG?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Didn't Beerus say he would do it himself but Planet Vegeta was so far away and he couldn't be assed to go over there?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:57 pm

superfan2024 wrote:This is from a translation from Akira Toriyama's from the movie:

-

*Freeza glares at Vegeta.*

-

And now this is the script from the same scene now only from the Funimation dub:

-

Freeza: "Eugh! You dare say that to me?!"
Vegeta: "Use your head... Do you actually think i'll stay loyal to you after you blew up the planet I was destined to rule?!"

*Freeza grumbling in anger.*

Whis: *whispering* "Well I wonder what the prince would do if he knew you authorized Planet Vegeta's destruction from the start."
Beerus: “SSSHH! Keep that under wraps!”

-

Thank you! That confused me as well.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-