Things Super didn't have time to cover (loose plot ends?) because its ending

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Things Super didn't have time to cover (loose plot ends?) because its ending

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

What are all the plotlines or loose stuff Super didn't get to cover because it's ending? For now anyway, until a new series comes out:

1. The trip to planet Sadala. We were even reminded of this just now in the TOP with Vegeta promising Cabba he'll visit and revive his universe. With Caulifa/Kale also around now, it seems like they could have made a good mini-arc there.

2. Freeza. They brought him back again just to have some "Ho ho ho's" in the tournament, but...what else? There is now not enough time to give Freeza's comeback any further purpose. Freeza won't willingly return to Hell, and seeing Beerus or someone erase him would be anti-climatic. I don't know what they can do with him besides have him fly off into space somewhere seeking revenge for another day. Maybe they'll have him as a recurring villain in the future.

3. There are 4 further universes that didn't compete in this tournament, seemingly being saved for a later time.

4. Gohan's return to prominence seems short-lived, when more could have been done with him.

5. Trunks and Goten literally did next to nothing over the entire span of Super.

6. Uub was foreshadowed and mentioned again (and shown in the manga), maybe we'll see something with him next series.

7. Jiren doesn't have much characterisation or backstory, something we likely won't get in the remaining eps.

8. Now with Ultra Instinct, we don't know if Goku can beat Beerus in a fight. Seeing Goku have a rematch against Beerus would be a fitting way for Super to end on.

What are yours?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Things Super didn't have time to cover (loose plot ends?) because its ending

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Zalama, is s/he out there in one of the universes, or no longer around?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Things Super didn't have time to cover (loose plot ends?) because its ending

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:12 pm

I'll admit this is a minor one; but i would've liked to see a continuation to Gowasu's storyline, mainly his quest to find a new apprentice to watch over Universe 10 when he's dead. And it would be a great window for some character development, with Gowasu struggling to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past; since he was blind to the conflict within Zamasu, his former pupil, and should have been more proactive (he even claims Zamasu's descent into madness is 'his sin'). Perhaps, if Super will come back next year, and the erased Universes are restored, we will finally see a satisfying ending to Gowasu's storyline, with him finding a new apprentice. I have grown particularily fond of Gowasu, and a continuation of his storyline could obviously serve to develop the strong bond there was between Gowasu and Zamasu.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:40 pm

The Super Dragon Balls? Do they have any limits or anything?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:04 pm

I feel like Freeza's plot will be resolved by the end of the ToP. Whether it's satisfactory or not is another matter. Similarly, if Jiren doesn't get development or a backstory by the end, it's safe to assume he was never meant to have one.

While it would have been nice to see Gohan (and indeed most of the supporting cast) maintain prominence after the ToP, I don't see it as a big loss if there isn't going to be another serious arc.

That leaves a Planet Sadala visit and a Goku vs Beerus rematch as the two things I still want to see in some shape or form.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:The Super Dragon Balls? Do they have any limits or anything?
According to Zuno they can grant any one wish so there's nothing to indicate that they do.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Literally only 7 eps left now, with Jiren seemingly unstoppable and Toppo getting an insane power up, I have no idea how this will wrap up.

Assumingly the last episode will be spent on the wish, so I guess only 6 eps left of actual tournament?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:13 am

Some kind of nod of recognition to the Namekian Book of Legends would be preferred. They injected that little bit of quotation into the anime series with no apparent motive to follow up on it. It raises various questions like how and why a mythical transformation related to a barbaric simian species somehow got recorded in a tome that's supposed to detail the mythology and lore of Namekians.

Also, there was never any direct references to the Makai but I would have liked to have seen that realm get covered in an arc of Super. Oh well...

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 am

precita wrote:Literally only 7 eps left now, with Jiren seemingly unstoppable and Toppo getting an insane power up, I have no idea how this will wrap up.

Assumingly the last episode will be spent on the wish, so I guess only 6 eps left of actual tournament?
Rushed, it's gonna be rushed..
And you know what? perfection can't be rushed..
Prepare for the inevitable bad ending..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:10 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
precita wrote:Literally only 7 eps left now, with Jiren seemingly unstoppable and Toppo getting an insane power up, I have no idea how this will wrap up.

Rushed, it's gonna be rushed..
And you know what? perfection can't be rushed..
Prepare for the inevitable bad ending..

I'm trying to figure out how they might cut this up. Only thing i can possibly think of is the final fight with Jiren might be episodes 128-130? 131 will be the wish and wrap up i presume. All in all, i really don't think this will go smoothly, it will definitely be rushed in a way.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 am

Hit wanted to go to other universes back in Champa's tournament but we were never told why and Vegeta never found out Beerus played a role in their planet's destruction so I'd like thise alongside the ones you mentioned to be picked up later.
precita wrote: 1. The trip to planet Sadala.

2. Freeza. They brought him back again just to have some "Ho ho ho's" in the tournament, but...what else ?

3. There are 4 further universes that didn't compete in this tournament, seemingly being saved for a later time.

4. Gohan's return to prominence seems short-lived, when more could have been done with him.

5. Trunks and Goten literally did next to nothing over the entire span of Super.

6. Uub was foreshadowed and mentioned again (and shown in the manga), maybe we'll see something with him next series.

8. Now with Ultra Instinct, we don't know if Goku can beat Beerus in a fight. Seeing Goku have a rematch against Beerus would be a fitting way for Super to end on.
Sadal and a tournament between u7 and the other 4 will most likely be major arcs when Super returns.

The arc isn't over so we don't know what Freeza will get. If he's stupid enough to pull something then he'll be erased.

There's still a new movie and possibly a continuation of Super to see more of him in but for this arc they did a really good job with him, way better than I thought.

Goten, Trunks & Uub will most likely have bigger roles if we go past EOZ.

A rematch with Beerus is enough to ensure Super will be back (assuming the new movie doens't flop).
DainIronfoot wrote:Only thing I can possibly think of is the final fight with Jiren might be episodes 128-130?
Toppo will get 125-127 so Jiren getting 2-3 seems about right. That'll leave just one episode to wrape things up which I think they can do if it's just wrapping up the current arc and not trying to include EOZ.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.