So, what about the good U6 Saiyans?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

So, what about the good U6 Saiyans?

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:46 pm

When Cabba was introduced, a big deal was made about the good U6 Saiyans being a contrast to the bad U7 Saiyans. But we've never really seen those Saiyans? And before anyone says: "There's obviously Caulifa and Kale" - I know that, already and I also know not every U6 Saiyan needs to necessarily be inherently loving and nice. Still, Caulifla's a punk and Kale's a shy sidekick - Both don't fit Cabba's whole "We're good Saiyans who help the universe!" thing. Maybe, I'm missing something and that's the point because Toriyama likes to subvert expectations but it kind of comes off as lazy (which he's already known for).

When I first heard there were good Saiyans, I was so hyped for the possibilities of the Sadala Defense Force or whatever it's called. The whole DB fandom felt the same way. Can you imagine if Caulifla and Kale were actually part of Cabba's Defense Squad or something and went to planets in pods together to protect them, not take them over. Like, where did that aspect go? Sure, there was Renso but he doesn't fit in this argument because he was just a cameo (although I'd prefer him to have been a U6 fighter).

Although I'm personally excited Super's ending because it means DB can go back to basics and perhaps tell smaller stories, I am kind of hoping the new movie is about Planet Sadala and we meet the Sadala Defense Force Saiyans. Besides the Uub setup, the whole Sadala thing was also setup so we need some sort of payoff. Then, maybe the new movie's ending can lead to Uub and the movie can be Super's true finale? Or it's own standalone origin movie, I have no idea at this point. We may never get this sort of resolution and if it weren't for this aspect, I wouldn't care for a Planet Sadala movie or arc. Thoughts?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: So, what about the good U6 Saiyans?

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm

I still hope we get a Planet Sadala story in some shape or form, we only got very tiny glimpses of that society. Hell, I feel like we got to see more of the criminal underworld side of U6 that Frost and Hit come from than we did of Sadala.

Cabba is basically a stand-in for his entire culture. You take one look at him and go "yep, that's Universe 6 Saiyans for you." I used to picture how a hypothetical Planet Sadala would go, and I became fixated on the image of Vegeta finally getting an audience with the King...who turns out to be 100% decent and on the level, and Vegeta is kind of subtly disappointed by it. Like, even though he knew what they were like, deep down he was hoping for a proud warrior king like his father, and just gets a boring completely benevolent public servant.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 am

Kataphrut wrote:I still hope we get a Planet Sadala story in some shape or form, we only got very tiny glimpses of that society. Hell, I feel like we got to see more of the criminal underworld side of U6 that Frost and Hit come from than we did of Sadala.

Cabba is basically a stand-in for his entire culture. You take one look at him and go "yep, that's Universe 6 Saiyans for you." I used to picture how a hypothetical Planet Sadala would go, and I became fixated on the image of Vegeta finally getting an audience with the King...who turns out to be 100% decent and on the level, and Vegeta is kind of subtly disappointed by it. Like, even though he knew what they were like, deep down he was hoping for a proud warrior king like his father, and just gets a boring completely benevolent public servant.
Cabba said that King Sadala is a very proud man like Vegeta.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:58 am

How much representation do they need in the current material? Both occasions where Universe 6's Saiyans have been called upon to make an appearance it had to do with a select few members of their group participating in some fighting competition. Maybe if the arc's narrative was grander in scope with a serious proactive enemy like Piccolo Daimao or Cell -- you know where the conflict is portrayed as an indiscriminate war with everyone who's able trying to do a part against a menace that's trying to kill/conquer them -- they could be given some characterisation. We hope there's a bit more nuance to each Saiyan's personality. I imagine a good number of them are probably less principled and boy scout-esque like Cabba is. People can still feel pride, contempt, disdain, indifference or any number of sentimental outlooks on the emotional rainbow while retaining the general overlying impression of an organised faction that seeks to do good in the universe.