What changes would you want for a new Dragon Ball show?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

What changes would you want for a new Dragon Ball show?

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 pm

With Dragon Ball Super ending in March, I was wondering what changes/improvements Kanzenshuu's members would want to see in a new show. This is of course assuming that a new show will be made, and that Super has been ended so that a new and improved show can take its place in 2019.
Here's what I would personally like to see changed/improved:

- First of all, I would like to see the new show taking place after the events of Dragon Ball Z and the Manga's chapter 519.
- I would like to see a new character designer taking Yamamuro's place. I would personally give the role to one of these three: Masaki Sato, Yuya Takahashi, Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru. It would be great if the show could look like in this edit: http://i.imgur.com/ZqikS7q.png notice as there are no highlights and the setting looks grittier.
- The biggest changes I would want to see is in new designs are no highlights, better noses and a more classic look like in Freeza arc from DBZ.
- Better colors than what we have right now. For example, I don't like Goku's gi to be so red, so iff we could get the same colors from the 2008 special, that would be awesome as those colors are also very close to the manga.
- Some more blood would be appreciated. RoF levels would be nice, and I wouldn't want to see a major battle end without some blood.
- Obviously I would hope Toei actually take their time with the show's pre-production, to ensure it is as good as it can be, so that when the first episode airs they would have already some episodes completed (around 6-8), unlike what happened with Super which probably only had the first two episodes completed before it started airing. Better pre-production means we could potentially get consistent art and animation, and better storyboards, writing and direction.
- I would like it if the show could have a more serious tone, like Dragon Ball Z. Getting after EoZ would already be a huge step forward to create some more tension as we would be in uncharted territory.
- It would be great if they could actually do something with the newer generation, without focusing too much on Goku and Vegeta like they did in Super.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: What changes would you want for a new Dragon Ball show?

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 pm

I want Dragon Ball to return to its original age demographic. Teens.

This would immediately make the story more mature and the constant explanations-of-the-obvious ending on the spot.

I want all the core cast to stay relevant and the power gaps between them to lessen. Fuck the Goku/Vegeta show. I want more Roshi, more Krillin, more Yamcha, more Frieza, more 18 & 17, more Piccolo. I want to see Yamcha do shit to Frieza and Frieza being genuinely surprised by the human's ingenuity and courage.

I want more scenes which make the cast members look like badasses. I want more original fighting and techniques (Super is on a great track, but I want a but more on that front).

I want more teamwork.

I want every character able to attain UI at certain points. I want more than Goku or Vegeta to save the day. I want the story to present situations where the other characters can do something vital for the good guys without necessarily stealing the spotlight from Goku (in order to keep the fangirls pleased).

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Make Goku more serious
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Focus on the younger generation like Goten.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:39 pm

I agree with most points brought up here until now.

Design wise, I also wish they'd lean more towards Takahashi's style. Or for Yamamuro to try and find his Z era style again, because that was really good too.

I can deal with less visible battle damage, but what I really miss is a genuine sense of danger and dread.

But most importantly, more team related battles. Since I mentioned FMA:B here recently, I went and looked at some fights I enjoyed from that show, and damn does this story know how to make use of its entire cast. Even the smallest side character can make an essential contribution to the team's success. I'd love for DB to take this approach.

Also, no more tournaments, please... :(
Last edited by Michsi on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I want all the core cast to stay relevant and the power gaps between them to lessen. Fuck the Goku/Vegeta show. I want more Roshi, more Krillin, more Yamcha, more Frieza, more 18 & 17, more Piccolo.

I want more teamwork.

I want more than Goku or Vegeta to save the day. I want the story to present situations where the other characters can do something vital for the good guys without necessarily stealing the spotlight from Goku.
100% co-signed here. I feel like Super has done a fair bit better at keeping the wider cast relevant/involved than most of DB since... I wanna say Perfect Cell? And I hugely appreciate that. But there's still a persistent habit of sidelining them for Goku and Vegeta even at the best of times. Which is always gonna happen to some degree, they're the main/most popular characters, but I'm always so happy when the show remembers other characters' individual strengths and skills and uses them well. Krillin, for example, can't nearly match Saiyan strength... but he is an incredibly cunning and clever fighter, and his specific techniques and trickery add a lot to any battle whenever he gets the chance. They could and should all have a solid role to play along those lines, and the action will be even more fun and engaging for it.
Last edited by Bryesque on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm

I'd like the writing to be a bit more serious, similar to the original manga and anime.

Giving everyone new outfits and better designs should be a given.

The fights need to be better chorographed.

Other characters should get things to do, especially Gohan and Piccolo.

Most importantly, the power scaling needs to be handled better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:19 pm

-More torture scenes with detailed battle damage and mutilation featuring Saint Seiya levels of blood.

-Characters that don't screw around when danger is around the corner, we had enough of that in Z and Super. I want them so show they are suffering.

-Yuya Takahashi's art style. The Disney cartoon color palette that was used for a long time always sucked.

-Age the characters. I don't need to be reminded again that many fiction characters don't age while I'm slowly turning into a frail old man.

-Have a Dragon Ball writing academy and stick all the Super writers in it so they stop making characters behave differently every episode.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:22 pm

* Goku being more serious when he is present on screen, which brings me to my next point
* Less screen time for Goku, let others do stuff
* More Gohan, keep it coming and don't stop until my assistant here who is mute tells you to
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Some very good points brought up so far, thank you for the contributions and keep them coming!

It would be great if they could change up the clothing here and there, like Toyotaro is doing in his manga. I don't like to see the characters always wearing the same thing when they wear their casual clothing.
Some more serious writing is also very much needed. It's undeniable that Super took a far less light-hearted tone compared to DBZ.
It would also be great to get back the sense of urgency and despair DBZ had. Some more blood wouldn't be bad but I doubt we will get real torturing and gore in this age because of the censorship and the new show will most likely air at 9 AM like Super.
A better use of the other characters is something everyone wants, so let's see what they will do. The ToP was already a huge step forward with 17, Roshi, Gohan and Freeza getting their spotlight.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Since we're on the subject, what are the chance they'll change the time slot? Would that even be wise....

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Michsi wrote:Since we're on the subject, what are the chance they'll change the time slot? Would that even be wise....
Fairly low, because airing Dragon Ball at 9AM means it leads into One Piece, and this helps both the shows to get more viewers, as DB fans may be interested in staying to watch OP, and OP viewers may turn on the TV earlier to watch DB.
But there's nothing set in stone and Kitaro may actually go on for a lot of time, and they may actually put a new Dragon Ball show on Wednesdays 7PM timeslot, which is where the the old DB shows aired.

It would be a dream if they continued Dragon Ball Z from episode 292. It's very unlikely, but this way they could use the stronger brand and the hype for DBZ's continuation would be unprecedented. I could see a hypothetical episode 292 continuing exactly where DBZ left, with a brief recap of the events of Super.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:49 pm

I don't care much about what sort of content is in the new show, but I have preferences for production.

-Original story outline and character designs by Akira Toriyama.
-Based directly on Toyotaro's manga.
-Art style based on "Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!!"
-New original soundtrack by Shunsuke Kikuchi. Opening theme sung by Hironobu Kageyama.
-Rather than running non-stop until the series ends, have "seasons" of approximately 20 episodes or so.

Not super realistic, but this is what I want.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:11 pm

More creative influence from Toyotaro.

-Toriyama is silly and thats fine but sometimes people want some edgy-ness in their Dragon Ball and Toyotaro is good at that
-Toriyama has already given him control over designing half the new characters in the T.o.P arc so i want to keep it that way
-And let Toyotaro comes up with some key plot points. He is the successor to Toriyama so let him start pitching good ideas for the series

Consistent writing and art

-Have the story follow the manga. No divisions in the story means less confusion and arguments.
-Make sure the characters act like themselves.
-Dont have stupid things happen for no reason
-Use the manga as story boarding for fights and certain scenes.
-Since Yamamuro is most likely here to stay and Toei is noticing how popular Takahashi is, have Yamamuro revert to his Z (Buu saga) era character designs so that the characters will look more appealing.

Make use of potential

-Don’t just introduce something for it to not be expanded upon or used later
-We have heard about Zalama the Dragon God, Universes 13 to 18, and the first time traveler from Universe 12. Let us see them whether its a flashback or they’re incorporated into the current story.

Better Schedule

-You cant have better writing and art without a better schedule.
-Make sure each episode of the series has at least as much time as Z episodes had
-This should also cut down on reused animation

Get creative with Slice of Life

-I find that the best humor would be in serious stuff in comedic situations.
-For example, have the most powerful fusions, Vegito, Gotenks, and Kafla have competitions of not fighting, but other silly activities
-The manga talked of how Zeno hosted a God of Destruction hide-and-seek game. Lets seem stuff like that
-Lets have the episode where the Grand Priest visits earth like he said he would
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:25 am

I am fine with current tone unlike most people though the tone should change with situation.

Expand the non saiyan lore.There is a namekian book of legend that only contains stuff from saiyans.

Consistent writing.

Stop reusing previous stuff just because it is iconic.I am done with fighters that have amazing abilities like flight and invisibility.

Some exploration of untouched stuff like androids unlimited ki,namekian abilities etc.
Just giving my two cents since I am certain none of that is going to happen.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 am

Ok, there is what I want and what I know what won't happen so to save me myself the trouble I only want one thing form a new Dragon Ball series.

Just be more consistent in animation, writing and soundtrack quality. Even if its awful, just be consistent. The worst part about Super to me is how much of a rollercoaster it was. I would have preferred it to be all bad, compared to the massive disappointment it gave me whenever it screwed up after doing so well.

Just pick one and stick to it, you can have a few highs or a few lows, just pick one that can we attach the show to.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 am

Go past end of Z, stop being the Goku and Vegeta show, Treat the humans (especially Yamcha) with more respect, make MUCH less of a power gap between the characters, create more villains and ease up on tournaments for a while.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am

I've provided this opinion before and it remains the same: I'd love to see a series that has the middle ground of focusing on the new generation of fighters (Oob, Pan, Bra, Goten and Trunks), while also keeping Goku and Vegeta in the spotlight.

Yes, you can have both the original and famed cast and new set of characters sharing the central role.

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 am

I'd like to see a new generation of fighters, possibly not even Goten/Trunks/Pan/Uub, but even a further skip, with these four being the new masters and the focus laying on their students. Real master/student relationships in general are something I really miss and loved back in Dragon Ball.

Also, bring the fights back to the ground. Don't give the new generation flying capabilites from the start, for ground based combat would allow for real martial arts choreographies again, instead of an exchange of blurred lines for their punches.

Maybe invent a reason for the Dragon Balls to be used more rarely (for example a little "shadow dragon arc", that causes Dende to change the balls to only work once in five years or so).

Starting small again, there would be plenty of room to develop again. Maybe scrap super saiyans and give the new generation their own, unique power up (wish for humanity to be capable of something comparable to a super saiyan transformation for example).

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 am

I wouldn't mind if the main character actually gets a big W in the entire series FFS. It's like watching Batman in the entire Arkham series he's there 24/7 and still ends up without 1 big W.
I want more stuff like the Freeza saga and less stuff like DBS. I honestly prefer DBGT over DBS bar a couple episodes like the UI Goku vs Kefla and Jiren moments and maybe parts of the Trunks saga and awesome characters like Beerus and Whis but DBS has felt even more flat for me. It wants to do things it just isn't capable of pulling off and I'd rather have the predictable stuff that is at least familiar and fun.

DB isn't a great show lets be honest. The best you can hope for is like the original DB, silly fun or DBZ a bit more fluffy seriousness that makes little sense. DBS has tried to be a combination of DB and DBZ but failed miserably. When I was done watching DB or DBZ I rewatched the entire series many times. Who here wouldn't mind rewatching DBS ? Be real. The best I want is to rewatch the UI Goku vs Jiren/Kefla episodes and that's it. I think that speaks enough about the problem with DBS.

I don't want something different. I want more of the same we've had for decades. I would love a continuation of DBZ.
The biggest issue is again Toriyama IMO. He pulled it off decades ago by having basic ideologies in terms of story. It was basic but fun. This time he wanted to do too much and change it up too much and ended up with something that has lacked heart and story but most importantly people aren't invested in most of the characters because of that. Let's have a look at this TOP. Our heroes fought all these universes and their fighters. How many episodes did they waste on that fighting fighters we DO NOT CARE 1 bit about ? Maybe at least 80% of the time. When that happens people lose interest. They've wasted so much time on so many unneccessary things in terms of story it's crazy. Take out battle of gods and the rest of Super has been filler if you look at it.

Who here is excited for the next 7-8 episodes ? I'm not. I bet Goku won't get the big W, I bet they will shove fusion in there somewhere and give us Vegetto (they f'd it up in the Trunks saga) and I frankly hate fusion especially in TOP where it's basically like cheating. I wish fusion was something that would have been entirely eliminated from DB. It's a cheap cop out. And the way they treated Gohan, I was counting on him to drop out but why couldn't he drop out after Vegeta ? Or why couldn't he get some great fight or moments ? It was one of the silliest and most bizarre ways they handled an elimination for a big character. And the way they are shoving Vegeta down our throats. If Gohan was uncapable of pulling off the main character in Cell, arguably one of DBs best moments, Vegeta sure as heck won't. Vegeta is a great side character, maybe the biggest, but they are doing too much with him and it takes away from some of the others. At least DBZ had it right. Focus on Goku, get him the big Ws while also focusing major episodes and arcs on other important side characters. Is it predictable ? Yes. But it was great too. I want that again. Same ol same ol. Because Super has showed us they are incapable of more. Another major issue I had is with the way they handled the main character. Goku is there all the time because they know he sells but they still haven't given him a big W....wtf ? Baffling. And all this ''Goku doesn't watch his back, he lacks focus etc.'' where did that go ? I thought that is why he kept losing or not winning because he needed to learn that and Super is done in a couple episodes and what happened to that ? A great possible character development there...thrown in the BIN. Again so baffling. I want Goku to be there in the big moments. But not in all the moments. Like I understand when Goku takes on Kefla and Jiren, it's expected. But why did they waste so much time on him, and even Vegeta which is way more baffling, taking on these silly weak fighters ? Let the others handle them.

The only thing I like about DBS isn't even about DBS. It was the movie Battle of the Gods for introducing us to Whis and Beerus. Sorry I actually LOVED Goku Ultra Instinct as it's become my fav transformation or whatever it is you want to call it. Superior to almost every other transformation. So thank you for that. But the rest ? A big fat MEH.