What changes would you want for a new Dragon Ball show?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AromaticPond

Re: What changes would you want for a new Dragon Ball show?

Post by AromaticPond » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 am

Fix the power level madness
- Have the Gods soundly beat the finalists of the tournament, telling them they are no where near a Gods level
-Remove the UI stuff (how is anyone else supposed to compete with that?)
- say Whis was giving Goku and probably Vegeta some of his power

Remove Super Saiyan!!
- Have Blue as the "true" Saiyan transformation. Explain that SSJ only works by tapping into emotions never reach full potential while using it.
- let blue take us into the future and carry the series forward.
- it would also slow down all the new saiyans from achieving it so easy

Spread the love to other characters not just Goku and Vegeta
- Bring the others somewhere close to their power level.
- Send Piccolo back to Namek looking for info on his tribe, wasn't he a warrior cast/ Demon tribe memory is a bit foggy on that. Original Piccolo was a powerful Namekian anyway, let him get trained up by some of the surviving members of the tribe/clan. Send him to U6 to the other Namekians to get trained/ maybe while there reunite with old Piccolo so that Kami and Piccolo are back together properly - raises him to Gokus level.
- Send Gohan back to Elder Kai for more training and use the time chamber make up for the time he missed
- give him some more unique moves (no more kamehamehas for Gohan)
- Expand on his transformation
- u7 and u6 earthlings fuse maybe get super krillin/ Tien etc
- Main thing give them their own arcs/ sagas or mini arcs AWAY from Goku and Vegeta
- let someone else save the day while the the two guys are off with the other Saiyans
Don't even have to look far for villains. Make the likes of Broly, Slug, etc.. (Cooler maybe even) "official" by using them and of course we still have Frieza.
- They are all in the Xenoverse games which are fairly popular so why not? And of course the villains in that can be used too.

I would have always wanted to see planet Vegeta and the original saiyans brought back perhaps due to mistake by the super Dragon Balls they all get brought back too -always thought Raditz was cool :silent:

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 am

-If a new series is created, it must be after the end of Z. No more limitations, and all the lore Super introduced us to can be explored after the endofz along with the lore the new show will create. Lore introduced from DBO should be used, even if it comes earlier then the original timeline stated it did. Gohan's research and book, Krillin opening up a new turtle hermit style martial arts school (Tenshinhan has already started his), potential sword fighting martial arts school started by Trunks and Goten, Buu creating a Majin race, etc.

-Age really isn't an issue, characters like Pan could be 15 years old, making characters like Trunks and Goten young adults, and Goku and Vegeta would only be in there sixties. Super has already established that Saiyan's stay in prime physical condition well into there 80s, so they can still be focused on in the future arcs. Bulma's mother is ancient and still appears youthful, Piccolo isn't much older then Gohan, the Android siblings age very slowly, it's in character for someone like Chi-Chi use the dragon balls to keep her youth longer or something on a whim because Goku will still be in his prime. Even in the end of Z, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaiotzu hardly aged at all. Krillin is the main one who would be affected by it, but he should assume a role similar to Roshi anyway imo.

-I don't mind the way the character are drawn and appear in Super, and I like the flow of comedy and action Super has. DBZ was a bit (key word here is a bit) more serious, but people are deluded if they believed the Dragon ball series didn't always have the wacky comedy, and it always will. This will always be a series aimed for kids/teens, you want that bloody edgelord factor, go watch Tokyo Ghoul or Drifters.

-I feel like the power gaps between Goku and the others need to lessen.

-Though the most important factor in a new series I want is, I want more team related battles. The story should present situations where the other characters can do something crucial for the good guys without taking Goku's spotlight. Meaning the villains/antagonists should have effective and established henchmen for the others to do battle with, while Goku/Vegeta and co are facing off against the big bad, similarly but not exactly to how the Saiyan arc was done. I know for a fact Toyotaro could draw and write fun, team based battles from reading his Dragon Ball Heroes Victory Road manga.

-Use characters to their strengths, easily can be done if you use RPG like logic to the series. The heavy hitters like Goku would generally get the main one v one battles. Characters like Tenshinhan, Krillin, and Yamcha would usually team together with characters like Gohan/Piccolo and potential younger gen characters such as Pan, Bra, Uub, Goten, Trunks with Pilaf gang, etc to defeat opponents they couldn't beat in a one v one by using technique, skill, strategy, and "luck". Characters like 17 & 18, along with Marron and 17 three children would also team with the others to defeat these strong opponents, yet they would be using the advantage of not losing stamina and constant in sync barrages of attacks and defense to allow the others to think of a strategy to win. (The siblings never losing stamina is already established. Also with the reveal that 17 & 18 were modified and enhanced on a cellular level and 18 foreshadowing Marron is stronger and tougher then she appears, both Marron and 17 kid could be revealed that they to were born with the siblings cellular enhancments, while 17 remarking that he will remember Sanka Ku/Kakunsa's Beast warrior traits, which gifted her with sharp claws and fangs, as well as incredibly high movement speed and unparalleled stamina that allows her to continue assaulting till the prey/opponent is taken down. He can teach this technique to his two adopted children (Who potentially could be Monster/Animal Earthlings themselves, it would fit his theme), allowing them to fit right in.)

Mainly if we got a timeskip towards the future, other characters besides the Saiyan's getting some focus, and more skill/strategy based and team work based battles. I'd be all in for that.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 am

First is fire Kitano, he should never ever work in an anime series again, banish him from the industry.

2nd thing is get rid of Sakurada if he is main reason for the false promises and bs, like making the ToP just U7 vs the rest instead of a real Battle royal.

Get some fresh minds for the writing team to help Tomioka and Toshio, and get rid of the dinosaurs that still want the show to have Z homages and OOC moments.

Get some of Gintama anime crew improve the gag/comedy relief moments.

Speaking of Gintama, if Toriyama returns and wants the series to still having tons of gags then make it like Gintama but without toilet humor.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

The idea that it needs to be set "EoZ" because currently the show is handcuffed by the time period its set in and as a result is the excuse for the lack of tension or seriousness is nothing short of a joke. There are plenty of prequels/midquels in various franchises that tell compelling stories and throw familiar characters in very precarious situations, and they execute them very well.

Bottom line, the production along with writing needs to step up whether it be Pre-Z, Middle of Z, or EoZ. And fans have to stop making a million excuses for why the show has been embarrassingly mediocre up till now. There are few redeemable moments in the Super franchise and a large part of that is due to the fact that it is written for a younger audience by people who are handcuffed by the shareholders who don't give a flying fuck about the franchise other than how much money it makes. Maybe if the intention shifts from trying to create an anime in order to sell toys and instead to tell a story we might get the Dragonball series we've been waiting for.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:The idea that it needs to be set "EoZ" because currently the show is handcuffed by the time period its set in and as a result is the excuse for the lack of tension or seriousness is nothing short of a joke. There are plenty of prequels/midquels in various franchises that tell compelling stories and throw familiar characters in very precarious situations, and they execute them very well.

Bottom line, the production along with writing needs to step up whether it be Pre-Z, Middle of Z, or EoZ. And fans have to stop making a million excuses for why the show has been embarrassingly mediocre up till now. There are few redeemable moments in the Super franchise and a large part of that is due to the fact that it is written for a younger audience by people who are handcuffed by the shareholders who don't give a flying fuck about the franchise other than how much money it makes. Maybe if the intention shifts from trying to create an anime in order to sell toys and instead to tell a story we might get the Dragonball series we've been waiting for.
If other animes work well being midquels it doesn't mean Dragon Ball does too. Dragon Ball fans want some tension back and EoZ completely destroys any sort of tension because we know everyone will be there at the 28th Budokai Tenkaichi. Going after EoZ also means we may see some new characters being used, like Uub, Goten, Trunks, Pan, Bra, Marron, instead of always relying on Goku and Vegeta or the old cast like Super has done. They also wouldn't be tied down to what happened in manga chapter 518 and 519.
They also can't milk too many stories in a 10 years gap considering that in Dragon Ball at least 1 year passes between each arc because Dragon Balls take 1 year to recharge, and because we are in 781 and EoZ takes place in 784, it's almost inevitable that Dragon Ball has to go over EoZ if they want it to last for a lot of years.

I agree with you on the part that they should focus on telling a good story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:27 pm

The new series needs to be more than just simple, screw that "it isnt DB" if the new show resembles a bit of Naruto in complexibility then they would rival current One Piece in Japan.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 pm

emperior wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:The idea that it needs to be set "EoZ" because currently the show is handcuffed by the time period its set in and as a result is the excuse for the lack of tension or seriousness is nothing short of a joke. There are plenty of prequels/midquels in various franchises that tell compelling stories and throw familiar characters in very precarious situations, and they execute them very well.

If other animes work well being midquels it doesn't mean Dragon Ball does too. Dragon Ball fans want some tension back and EoZ completely destroys any sort of tension because we know everyone will be there at the 28th Budokai Tenkaichi. Going after EoZ also means we may see some new characters being used, like Uub, Goten, Trunks, Pan, Bra, Marron, instead of always relying on Goku and Vegeta or the old cast like Super has done. They also wouldn't be tied down to what happened in manga chapter 518 and 519.
They also can't milk too many stories in a 10 years gap considering that in Dragon Ball at least 1 year passes between each arc because Dragon Balls take 1 year to recharge, and because we are in 781 and EoZ takes place in 784, it's almost inevitable that Dragon Ball has to go over EoZ if they want it to last for a lot of years.

I agree with you on the part that they should focus on telling a good story.

You're not getting the point, there have been various works where prequels have been introduced with the same characters as the original and have provided enough stakes, tension etc. You can absolutely know full well that by the end of Z all the characters are still there and still tell a compelling story in which you are invested in the outcome. Right now people are using that excuse to make up for the lackluster writing and execution when developing scenes. If we keep the current team and current direction and simply change the setting to a series post EoZ, nothing will change.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Nothing, because i don't want anything after Super, but if i had to choose then:

- Another company takes control of the show, TOEI are awful (it will never happen i know, but i wish it would)

- Better character designs. I have found the character designs to be terrible in Super. They look like crappy fan made stuff.

- Better animation and art. Under TOEI, this will never happen, but Super, even after it's improvements, still looks really poor. I still have problems with characters looking deformed, characters looking way too skinny compared to how they looked in DB and DBZ and the backgrounds not blending in at all. I also think the shinny CGI look is terrible for Dragon Ball. It makes everything look cheap and tacky.

- Seasonal over weekly episodes. This would suit Dragon Ball a lot better. Weekly anime shows are getting worse, the quality of the art, animation and story telling is terrible because of it. If they make a new series, then a seasonal series would work a lot better. It gives them a lot more time to actually make the show look good.

- Less comedy. I like comedy in DB and DBZ, but Super's comedy was dumb and rarely ever funny and more often than not felt our of place.

- Bring the characters back to how they were by the end of Z. Super ruined some of my favourite anime characters of all time, Gohan and Vegeta being the main ones. Goofy Vegeta is not funny, and skinny weakling Gohan makes zero sense (he went 7 years without training after Cell and was still strong, there is no reason why he would have become so much weaker after the events of Buu) Oh and Goku, taking him back to his personality as a kid after everything we seen him become in DBZ was a terrible move.

- Make the fights good. Dragon Ball was never a perfect show, but the fights always saved it, but Super has been terrible at it. Throughout DB and DBZ, the fights were something i never had to think about too much, because almost all of them were good. In Super, i have seen so many poor and boring fights. Every action anime i watch do fights better than Dragon Ball now. So many Anime shows have been inspired by Dragon Ball, now it's Dragon Ball itself that needs to take inspiration from it's past work.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
You're not getting the point, there have been various works where prequels have been introduced with the same characters as the original and have provided enough stakes, tension etc. You can absolutely know full well that by the end of Z all the characters are still there and still tell a compelling story in which you are invested in the outcome. Right now people are using that excuse to make up for the lackluster writing and execution when developing scenes. If we keep the current team and current direction and simply change the setting to a series post EoZ, nothing will change.
1 thing would change - the cast would grow/evolve. Time skips have been a core part of the original DB. So at least that aspect of the original run would be back, even if good writing was still MIA.