The only reason Super is currently going off the air is BECAUSE of the MOVIE.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

The only reason Super is currently going off the air is BECAUSE of the MOVIE.

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:33 pm

It’s the only possible reason that makes any sense.

1. We know a new dragon ball movie is coming.

2. We know they have stated that they want to have all of their men on board in order to “make it the best movie ever.”

3. We can logically deduce that if they were to continue working on Super, it would get away from the movie, and hence they couldn’t give it 100% their all.

4. We know that Super is a HUGE Success! especially the Merchandise! So for that reason alone, Super isn’t going anywhere as far as “eternity” goes. It IS bound to come back at one point or another in the future.

So you can all relax now.

The Movie is the reason for Super’s current hiatus. I have proved it with my points above. There is NO other possible reason for Super to go off the air.

precita
Banned

Re: The only reason Super is currently going off the air is BECAUSE of the MOVIE.

Post by precita » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Maybe, maybe not. Even if there was no movie maybe a break was always planned. If the new movie is the length of Movies 14 and 15, it'll only be around 1 hour and a half. You don't take a 1 year break over animating something that's less than 2 hours, no matter how good it looks.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: The only reason Super is currently going off the air is BECAUSE of the MOVIE.

Post by TheMikado » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:33 pm

precita wrote:Maybe, maybe not. Even if there was no movie maybe a break was always planned. If the new movie is the length of Movies 14 and 15, it'll only be around 1 hour and a half. You don't take a 1 year break over animating something that's less than 2 hours, no matter how good it looks.
Exactly and that’s assuming it even is 2 hours. If it was really about the movie they would just take a break for a few months. It could come back in September but that’s not what they said.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 pm

No. There's plenty of reasons why they decided to end Super. Bulma's voice actress passing away, Toriyama having no future arc planned, most of the voice actors having to work on Kitaro, overworking of animators, high production costs, etc. The movie is only one of the reasons.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 am

Another simple reason may be Toei & Toriyama needing time to develop the next series, particularly if it's a big departure from the "basically Buu arc sequel" that Super is. Deciding whether to pass the torch onto new generation, or do Time Patrol Trunks spin-off series etc. Potentially much more extensive pre-production for a show like those versus reanimating BOG/ROF like Super was at the beginning.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:44 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:It’s the only possible reason that makes any sense.

1. We know a new dragon ball movie is coming.

2. We know they have stated that they want to have all of their men on board in order to “make it the best movie ever.”

3. We can logically deduce that if they were to continue working on Super, it would get away from the movie, and hence they couldn’t give it 100% their all.

4. We know that Super is a HUGE Success! especially the Merchandise! So for that reason alone, Super isn’t going anywhere as far as “eternity” goes. It IS bound to come back at one point or another in the future.

So you can all relax now.

The Movie is the reason for Super’s current hiatus. I have proved it with my points above. There is NO other possible reason for Super to go off the air.
Where did you read the second statement?

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 am

Let's be honest here, nobody knows for sure what the situation or reasoning is behind Super's end/hiatus/whatever. We've heard almost nothing definitive or official, just a few offhand comments from staff and Fuji-TV that are pretty open to interpretation. It's totally fine to have a theory about the status of Super, but I'm seeing a ton of "THIS is what's happening and why" comments stated as if they're facts. But until further details are officially confirmed, there are only theories -- and those are still gonna be theories even if they turn out to be accurate after the fact, because they were based on incomplete information. Only time will tell.
Last edited by Bryesque on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 am

Considering Super is not going on a hiatus, you did not prove anything with the above points. And even if it would be on a hiatus, that would still not be substantial enough to serve as proving anything.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 am

Whatever the reason I am so glad it's ending cause DBS has been worse than GT so far. It's a big big mess. The best moments of Super is better than maybe most of them but I bet people rather rewatch GT than Super in its entirety. And I'm not even kidding.

They need to go back to their roots. A continuation of Z would be acceptable.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 am

The only way Super doesn't come back is if the movie is a massive failure which it won't be.
Kaiosama wrote:No. There's plenty of reasons why they decided to end Super. Bulma's voice actress passing away, Toriyama having no future arc planned, most of the voice actors having to work on Kitaro, overworking of animators, high production costs, etc. The movie is only one of the reasons.
Super ending was most likely decided before she passed away.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:15 am

it's over

the movie is going to fill in the gap after the TOP and EOZ so it will "fix" the retcons super has caused.

It will touch a little bit on saiyans and the home planet but the movie is the bridge between the TOP and EOZ

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm

KidGoku>3 wrote:Whatever the reason I am so glad it's ending cause DBS has been worse than GT so far. It's a big big mess. The best moments of Super is better than maybe most of them but I bet people rather rewatch GT than Super in its entirety. And I'm not even kidding.

I agree. DBGT at least had it's moments even though it was largely mediocre. Super doesn't even have those moments.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Scott wrote:
KidGoku>3 wrote:Whatever the reason I am so glad it's ending cause DBS has been worse than GT so far. It's a big big mess. The best moments of Super is better than maybe most of them but I bet people rather rewatch GT than Super in its entirety. And I'm not even kidding.

I agree. DBGT at least had it's moments even though it was largely mediocre. Super doesn't even have those moments.
Super's slice of life episodes? Those were fantastic.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Scott wrote:

Uuuuuh for me it is the other way around. DBS had a lot more memorables moments than GT. The Goku / Hit fight, the entire Black arc, the UI.
In GT I can't even remember. I doesn't even't count SSJ4 since I find the form utterly ugly and that its lore doesn't make sense.
On top of that, GT had a lot of jumping the shark moment that I have yet to find in Super.
Goku being wished back as a Kid.
The fact that the planet explode if the black star Dragon Balls aren't gathered in time.
The way Goku get his tail back is... awkward.
The elements of films and OVA being acknowledged in continuity whereas it never happened in Z.
Uub assimilating Buu while it has never been established that an earthling could do such a thing.

The only thing worth the watch was the ending for the emotionnal value but it is kinda spoilt by the lack of explanation of what exactly happen to Goku.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm

No.

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Kepiaschkz wrote:The elements of films and OVA being acknowledged in continuity whereas it never happened in Z.
What elements from films and OVA were acknowledged in GT? (not doubting you, I just don't remember GT that much so I'm curious :D )

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:25 am

sanorin wrote:
Kepiaschkz wrote:The elements of films and OVA being acknowledged in continuity whereas it never happened in Z.
What elements from films and OVA were acknowledged in GT? (not doubting you, I just don't remember GT that much so I'm curious :D )
When the baddies escape from a breach in hell, we can see Coola in a panel and Slug in an other panel in the background.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Rewatch GT? God no. Rewatching those lost episodes would make me commit suicide. The baby arc i could rewatch i guess. the Super 17 i liked, short and sweet, tho kinda dumb how base Goku is stronger than ssj4 in the end lol. Shadow dragons, no just no.

in comparison, i couldnt be bothered to rewatch bog. RoF surprisingly i wouldnt mind, i actually enjoyed the retelling of that arc. The u6 arc is a fun watch. Ft arc is interesting, but due to it also being somewhat of a mystery, i would proly skip some eps and get straight into the action episodes. ToP tourney, watch from head to toe, especially the exhibition episodes. And the slice of life eps are just stellar.

In comparison, i wouldnt rewatch Z unless i would be stuck somewhere with nothing to do but watch Z anime lol.

i guess in rewatchability it is Super> GT>Z>>>>>>>>>Lost episodes of GT(just ewww).