Character episodes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Character episodes

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:47 am

I think the earlier part of the tournament gave us the wrong impression regarding how they'll handle U7 characters. Krillin made us think that each member would get their own episode in which they'll take up the majority of screen time, but actually only Krillin and Roshi (and #18 a little) got that kind of treatment.
The reason I bring this up is because people talk about Gohan not getting so much focus in what was supposed to be "his" episode, but I don't think it was ever meant to be that.
My feeling is that you're supposed to look at their achievement as a whole, not just limit it to one or two episodes where they were a little more important.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Character episodes

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 am

When did Krillin say that every character would get their own episode, where in it, they would get a majority of the screentime to themselves?

Or is this one of these instances where we're looking too deeply into a line given by a character?

Last, but not least, when did Krillin get promoted to be coming a member of the writing staff?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 am

Lord Beerus wrote:When did Krillin say that every character would get their own episode, where in it, they would get a majority of the screentime to themselves?

Or is this one of these instances where we're looking too deeply into a line given by a character?

Last, but not least, when did Krillin get promoted to be coming a member of the writing staff?
By "Krillin made us think" I clearly meant his treatment at the beginning of the tournament. He was the first one to get an episode focused on him and he was eliminated by the end of it. This notion/expectation that character X will have an episode focused almost entirely on them and then get eliminated right after started here I think. As a result, people are unhappy when a character gets eliminated without having a moment of glory that belongs exclusively to them.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am

Michsi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:When did Krillin say that every character would get their own episode, where in it, they would get a majority of the screentime to themselves?

By "Krillin made us think" I clearly meant his treatment at the beginning of the tournament. He was the first one to get an episode focused on him and he was eliminated by the end of it. This notion/expectation that character X will have an episode focused almost entirely on them and then get eliminated right after started here I think. As a result, people are unhappy when a character gets eliminated without having a moment of glory that belongs exclusively to them.
Krillin's performance in Episode 99 doesn't, nor shouldn't it, serve as an indication of how every other character in team Universe 7 would be treated in the Tournament Of Power. There were really no expectation for how the main cast would perform respective of each other. If some fans had the idea that just because Krillin had a large majority of an episode focused on him before getting eliminated, that every other Universe 7 character would get the same treatment, then they only have themselves to blame for being disappointed by something the story arc never hinted to be case.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Krillin's performance in Episode 99 doesn't, nor shouldn't it, serve as an indication of how every other character in team Universe 7 would be treated in the Tournament Of Power. There were really no expectation for how the main cast would perform respective of each other. If some fans had the idea that just because Krillin had a large majority of an episode focused on him before getting eliminated, that every other Universe 7 character would get the same treatment, then they only have themselves to blame for being disappointed by something the story arc never hinted to be case.
That goes without saying, but the point was that many seemed to have gotten that impression. IMO most character's role in the TOP looks a lot better if you view it as a whole rather then what happen in this or that episode.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Michsi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Michsi wrote:
That goes without saying, but the point was that many seemed to have gotten that impression. IMO most character's role in the TOP looks a lot better if you view it as a whole rather then what happen in this or that episode.
Agreed. The Tournament Of Power is far better when you look at it as a whole rather than individual episodes.