With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: With Super almost finished what do you think of the overal series?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:26 am

Pretty fun with some writing issues here and there but not enough to sour my viewing experience. As a whole it's a better product than GT but still doesn't quite reach the heighs of DB & DBZ (that said it doesn't lowest point that Cell Arc was).

Rating: 4/5
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 am

I loved most of the ideas behind the arcs, but as a whole, it was a pretty weak series. I think making all the main arcs into movies wouldv'e been a better idea. It's a bit below GT for me.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:50 am

I'm reserving my full judgement and opinion for after the end of this arc (and potentially series), but Super has become a weekly staple for me. I've been glued to this series since the U6/U7 tournament and I have loved it. However, it's not perfect. My major gripes with the series:

- the introduction of lore items that seemingly went nowhere
- wonky power scaling that's left me confused
- lack of any explanation for transformations and character moves while explaining things that are extremely obvious (i.e we're not gonna explain Trunks Genki Dama Sword but let's pan over to Krillin talking about how Goku is punching Jiren for a minute per episode)

And my biggest complaint: the fact that the series is just now FINALLY starting to stand on its own, and it's ending. With such a rocky start, a mixed tournament and disappointing ending to a great Future Trunks Arc, the ToP arc has brought in some top animators, had better fights, shown love to the side characters, and would have been an awesome post Z "it's all on the line" arc. But, I'll save more for that after EP 131

I will definitely miss my weekly staple. Here's hoping we get either a continuation or a new series sometime in the future

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
I also hated how they always had to have Vegeta be equal with Goku. It's Goku's show, not Vegetas.
Weird thing to hate, really - especially considering how big Vegeta's role's been throughout Super.

Also take into account the extended periods of Goku's absence in Z. OG DB was Goku's show, sure, but you can't act as if you expect this of Super, and are disappointed because it doesn't provide enough of that in your opinion. GT made Goku the only character useful in a fight, nobody was happy about that. And now everyone's bitching about how Vegeta refuses to forever accept his supposed inferiority to Kakarot - which oh my gosh - results in him actually not being weaker than Kakarot! I've always considered this complaint kinda insolent of people. That's basically like being mad at someone arbitrarily designated a jobber (even though he's officially not one) for refusing to job and actually winning. It's the petty, mean type of indignation.

Oh, and Goku never defeated Vegeta in a 1 on 1 fight, just sayin'

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 am

I going to wait until the series to end before I give my final opinion. But I have to say that I really like this series. I hope that the ending is something that I can support. I will come back here when Episode 131 airs.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:01 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Basaku wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I don't see how anyone who loved DB or DBZ, can dislike Super so much and act like Super is a huge departure.

Super basically was DBZ for modern times, but with worse art, less consistencey, and no gore. But to be fair, the art in Super has gotten much better.

Super was Toriyama's creation and everything major you saw in Super was Toriyama's vision

Maybe Toei did a piss poor job of executing in the beginning, but now they have been executing with classic DBZ quality and flair ever since episode 109

There isn't this huge gulf between DBZ and Super. Some people just blindly hate on Super (or are cynical toward it) because it's super popular. Same reason why a vocal minority of internet trolls hate on Goku - because Goku is the most popular and beloved character in all of Dragon Ball by country miles. The manority>>>the minority
Also worse writing, character work, buildup and payoff etc. Super got nothing on majority of DBZ. Z's heights are above anything Super managed to achieve.
You're delusional. No point in talking to someone who's that biased and stuck in their ways of thinking
It's called having a taste and the ability of critical thinking. Very easy to distinguish the quality of stuff like Saiyan, Freeza or Cell arcs compared to anything Super offered. The fact that you don't see the difference makes you the clear delusional side in this conversation.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Goodness, this forum seems to be a huge gathering place, in fact - the central place, for the kind of cynical elitest or manga nerd troll I was talking about who blindly hates on Super. Embaressing
This, along with your follow-up, is not an appropriate way to have a conversation; as such, a strike has been issued against your account. Account strikes add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website.

Please review the forum guidelines before making further contributions. Your conduct and content do not live up to what we expect of our community members.

For all members: these excessive, hyperbolic, disparaging comments toward each other are unacceptable. You do not get to personally define how others consume the show, dictate what their precise opinions are, and call them "delusional" when these invariably do not match your own. Any further posts on the matter will be removed, and additional account strikes will be issued. Please remember where it is you are, and what is expected of you. This is not an elementary school playground.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:38 am

I like it. On the whole I find it much more entertaining to watch than GT and Z but not as entertaining as OG Dragon Ball. The plot of Z (Raditz to Buu) has been rehashed so many times with video games and Kai that I've grown sick of it. The ending will have a big impact on my final opinion, of course. There are a lot of ways they could cock this up in 6 episodes.

Even though it's 131 episodes and will have been running for nearly 3 years, it feels like we were just getting to know Super. It's the only series I follow weekly and I'm gonna miss it while it's gone.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 pm

I really enjoy this last two arcs , future trunks arc put me back into the weekly expectation to watch next chapter , 20 years after ,super brought me back to dragon ball and I bought all the manga in English , because my first manga was bought in real time ( 80’ 90’) and it’s in the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, homeland....
So honestly I’m gonna miss it , was nice to have this entertainment in this moment of my life , and In fact I’m buying more manga products , so after 20 years without reading manga and watching anime , last 2 years this Japaneses authors became my main entertainment at home
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Basically another GT, good ideas wasted on often poor execution, and was plagued by production issues, specially early on. It was a fun ride nonetheless, and provided some rewatch-worthy content, mostly the latter two arcs.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Even though it's 131 episodes and will have been running for nearly 3 years, it feels like we were just getting to know Super.
I'd probably say this if it was 500 episodes long. It's truly hard to say goodbye to nice things.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm

2 mediocre arcs, 1 terrible arc, 1 phenomenal arc, 1 great arc, and a whole lot of slice of life, for better or worse.

Battle of Gods arc: 5/10
Resurrection 'F' arc: 2/10
Tournament of Destroyers arc: 5/10
Future Trunks arc: 9/10
Universal Survival arc: 7.5/10

I'm thankful we got Super because of the latter two arcs(not to mention the 9 weeks of slice of life between them). Story wise, the Future Trunks arc is tied with the Frieza arc as being my favorite in Dragon Ball. I agree with SupremeKai25 about the arc being gripping and intriguing. Not to mention, since I avoided spoilers, the mystery of "who is Goku Black" had me on the edge of my seat every week, a feeling that Super has yet to replicate since. The animation and score also shot up in this arc, with many great moments for both art and animation. Shimanuki's Goku Black always looked amazing, Shida's excellent cuts in 57 & 66, Rosé's beautiful transformation and color scheme, The entirety of episode 65 & 66, etc. Overall, a big step up from the previous arcs. The only episode of this arc I didn't enjoy was episode 62.

The Universal Survival arc, while not the best arc from a story perspective, is, in my opinion, one of Dragon Ball's Best looking arcs, tied with the Buu Saga. The filter used in this arc makes everything feel somewhat more life like, the color pallet for everywhere (that isn't Berrus' or the Kais world) looks much better than the previous arcs. The art and animation in this arc is phenomenal, with even the best animators looking better than before. Tate brings his fantastic animation as usual, and his art looks far better than previous arcs(whether this is due to corrections or not, idk), Shimanuki's work mimics that of his Buu era work almost entirely, we got far less of Kitano, with his work being corrected to the point where its hard to find him on most occasions, and not to mention, we got Takahashi! The biggest tragedy of Takahashi joining us this late in the game is that he didn't get to supervise an episode of the Future Trunks arc. Seriously, I would have loved to see him animate the Rosé transformation. Not to mention, we got the special episode 109/110, which is easily my favorite episode in all of Dragon Ball. Ultra Instinct is my favorite form since the original Super Saiyan, and much like Super Saiyan, it had actual build up, being foreshadowed numerous times in Super's earlier episodes.

Overall, I'm happy Super was a thing, and Ill look back on the later 2/3rd's of it very fondly.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

In many ways it is like GT, had wasted potential (Get rid of Super Saiyans for Goku and Vegeta, by achiving God forms, they should no need to transform into regular SSJ any longer) terrible parts, but, there were also moments i really liked:

Bad:
- BoG and RoF are, in my opinion, worst arcs in DB history
- Deevolution of some characters (Goku acting like braindead moron, Buu suddenly become jerk, Chi-Chi becoming soccer mom again, after mellowing down in Buu Saga and so on...)
- Changing estabilished rules of power gaping ( Everyone suddenly can spare with SSJBG)
- Stuck in Pre Z Ending, and fear of trying something new

Good
- Changing estabilished rules of power gaping (it is also good, since we finally have someone other than Goku/Vegeta/Piccolo, helping in fight, and actually beat someone)
- Cool new characters (Beerus, Zamasu etc...)

5-6 out of 10 for me :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Goodness, this forum seems to be a huge gathering place, in fact - the central place, for the kind of cynical elitest or manga nerd troll I was talking about who blindly hates on Super. Embaressing
This, along with your follow-up, is not an appropriate way to have a conversation; as such, a strike has been issued against your account. Account strikes add up to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website.

Please review the forum guidelines before making further contributions. Your conduct and content do not live up to what we expect of our community members.

For all members: these excessive, hyperbolic, disparaging comments toward each other are unacceptable. You do not get to personally define how others consume the show, dictate what their precise opinions are, and call them "delusional" when these invariably do not match your own. Any further posts on the matter will be removed, and additional account strikes will be issued. Please remember where it is you are, and what is expected of you. This is not an elementary school playground.
And what gives you the right to dictate that my opinions are wrong

This is an open forum for everyone can state their opinion. Disagreements happen. I can't disagree or make educated generalizations about what I've observed?

I like how you out right call my opinions excessive and hyperbolic. (What gives you that right to make that determination?) I understand what you are trying to say and I will take notice but you came across in such an unnecessary hostile way..and yet you told me I'm the hostile one. This seems like an action that was driven by a personal bias. I like how people making the same excessive hyperbolic statements about Super being thrash are never treated like this. What kind of environment are you really trying to cultivate by only targeting one side of the excessive opinions?

I'm going to reach out to Animeejay about this. Have a good day

But as you say, I will def stop with the "hyperbolic" or "excessive" statements. My apologies. In fact I rarely even post. I have a much larger audience on youtube

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:51 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote: And what gives you the right to dictate that my opinions are wrong

This is an open forum for everyone can state their opinion. Disagreements happen. I can't disagree or make educated generalizations about what I've observed?

I like how you out right call my opinions excessive and hyperbolic. (What gives you that right to make that determination?) I understand what you are trying to say and I will take notice but you came across in such an unnecessary hostile way..and yet you told me I'm the hostile one. This seems like an action that was driven by a personal bias. I like how people making the same excessive hyperbolic statements about Super being thrash are never treated like this. What kind of environment are you really trying to cultivate by only targeting one side of the excessive opinions?

I'm going to reach out to Animeejay about this. Have a good day

But as you say, I will def stop with the "hyperbolic" or "excessive" statements. My apologies. In fact I rarely even post. I have a much larger audience on youtube
His house, his rules. You were agreeing to the community guidelines when registering here. VegettoEX also never said your opinions are wrong, your overall behaviour is simply far from what you agreed with and yes, he and the moderators have the right to keep the forum clean from what the judge as inappropriate. Just because you are a "person of free will" does not mean you can behave the way you want and wherever you want. You have the right to try but you will sooner or later meet the consequences. And the way you were condescendingly posting was beyond what people that "thrash super" are doing. Whoever dislikes or likes parts of Dragon Ball, no matter which side is pretty appropriately and in time moderated. It is also very easy to contact the staff here so whenever someone feels there is a problem keeping contact is far from being troublesome. So, whoever this Animeejay is, you will not have any luck complaing to him about the Admin of his own forum judging you for your behaviour that is openly polemic to the point of outright offending. The only thing missing is calling people names which pretty much already happened in another way though. You should better not try out running around like this in public.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:And what gives you the right to dictate that my opinions are wrong

Please take a closer look at what VegettoEX actually wrote. You are not being persecuted for your opinions, you are being chided for your behavior. In practically all regards, we don't care what opinions one has to share here about Dragon Ball. We just expect everyone to share them kindly and patiently with each other. Making broad and crass generalizations about people or communities doesn't jive here.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 pm

A good show that had potential to be a lot better.
FT Trunks and Universe Survival arcs are far above anything from DB and GT.

It had a terrible start, but in the end they managed to make Universe Survival arc the best looking arc of the franchise.

I will miss my DBS weekly fix. There are others shows I like, but there's nothing like Dragon Ball.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 pm

Mixed.
I like it better than GT. When Super's good it's really good. And when it's bad it makes me cringe. I could pick out a distinct moment from each arc I especially liked (Vegeta princess-catching Goku on the deck of the ship, all of the Whis trains Goku and Vegeta shenanigans + making them room together, them rooming voluntarily with each other for 3 years in prep of the Champa tournament, Vegeta's crazy winning streak during the Champa tournament, the heartbreaking Goku temporarily loses control of his ki episode, Rosé in general with his flair for the ostentatious; him and Future Zamasu hamming it up together; referring to his opponents by food terms because Goku's stomach is interfering with him, that Goku hires Hit two-parter where Goku's sitting on a swing at one point at night swinging back and forth while saddened, getting Takahashi-drawn ssjg Goku in the ToP (sorry ToP you're so low on plot I had to go meta to find something incredible about you). Outside of the F retelling and that one really bad Tenshinhan episode I don't feel like I wasted my time following along each week.

I wish we could've gone one more arc. Seen one more new villain. Or at least got some Goku and friends traveling to planets in the other universes stuff. But everything's gotta end some time, so I understand.

Super came into my life during a very tumultuous time for me and the series has been a constant in a world where so many things in my life were in flux. While I'm still not yet where I want to be, life's been improving and if Super has to go away while I will miss it I look forward to seeing how I can continue to push towards my goals without it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 am

Kaboom wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:And what gives you the right to dictate that my opinions are wrong

Please take a closer look at what VegettoEX actually wrote. You are not being persecuted for your opinions, you are being chided for your behavior. In practically all regards, we don't care what opinions one has to share here about Dragon Ball. We just expect everyone to share them kindly and patiently with each other. Making broad and crass generalizations about people or communities doesn't jive here.
Let's be honest. Generalizations and sterotypoes exist for a reason. I didn't know it was a crime to just note what I've observed. But as I said, I will stop.

And btw, he said I was given 1 strike. Why would you come along and give me another strike? Now that was uncalled for and unfair. Let's get back to the topic at hand. How would you rate Super?

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:A good show that had potential to be a lot better.
FT Trunks and Universe Survival arcs are far above anything from DB and GT.

It had a terrible start, but in the end they managed to make Universe Survival arc the best looking arc of the franchise.

I will miss my DBS weekly fix. There are others shows I like, but there's nothing like Dragon Ball.
Good post