With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Re: With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:45 pm

My overall opinion of the series is well,

It had 10/10 moments here and there. It suffered greatly from overall incompetent writers and a fair amount of horrid or recycled animation. I think the series would have been much better had it been seasonal like most others, as well as starting with the U6 tournament. It also relied too much on new transformations like SSBKK and SS Rage to strengthen characters, the former essentially creating a permanent gap between Goku and everyone else not named Beerus Jiren or Kefla that lasted until the final 6 episodes of the series, and the latter essentially boosting Trunks beyond the God forms Goku and Vegeta trained for, but without explanation. To say nothing of the inconsistency that was Super Saiyan Trunks making a Spirit Bomb when Krillin explicitly points out in the next arc that it shouldn't be possible. Yeah these moments and transformations are hype, but the hype starts to fall apart when the next villain either falls apart at the seams far too easily (SSR Trunks vs Fused Zamasu) or the next antagonist needs to be so absolutely completely beyond everyone in power that nothing can possibly faze him until what I presume will be the final episode of a tournament he participated 30+ episodes in. (literally everything about Jiren)

Not to mention the hyped characters that kind of ended up failing to live up to it. Nigrisshi is the strongest modified fighter for U3, before being knocked out in one hit by base Cabba. Narirama gets knocked out in the first minute or two. Honestly those scenes should have gone to Paparoni and Maji Kayo. Toppo becomes a LITERAL God of Destruction, yet failed to ring out a single fighter. Gohan said something about "achieving an ultimate form no one has seen before" that never went anywhere (ironically Vegeta gets a new Super Saiyan form no one else gets), his biggest moment being able to defeat two Namekians. Dyspo was also weirdly hyped and antihyped at the same time? We're introduced to him having trouble with some monster, then it turns out he's strong enough to give Hit trouble, then SSG Goku does good against him, then we find he was holding back Light Speed Mode the whole time and nearly rings out Golden Frieza, and ultimately all he was there for was for Gohan to sacrifice himself to ring out. Which ties into how Gohan was overhyped before the tournament for me.

It was a hype beast. And like most hype beasts it falls to its own hype when you look at what comes after said hype. Unless they suddenly start giving more than 6 weeks to make an episode and start putting all the writers in a room together to stay consistent, I no longer have ANY confidence in Toei to produce their own stories. All they're good for is simple one-off movie storylines, and I feel like Super's arcs were written like incredibly long 30 episode Dragon Ball movies.

I really hope the manga fixes most of the issues with the Tournament of Power. Jiren's character at least seems a lot more distinct and engaging, and Toppo managed to at least beat Goku once before the tournament. I'd honestly hope Toyotaro is allowed to continue past the ToP as well.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm

For someone who loved the franchise for the last 22 years. i like Super a lot. It has its ups and downs, more downs than ups, but i watch it religiously every week, and it will be sad for me when the anime reaches its end.

I liked the slice of life in the beginning, i disliked the ritual and super saiyan god bullshit (alongside with the art and animation that wasn't that good), Freeza's arc wa another movie retelling and i got a little bit bored, the U6 vs U7 tournament was poorly written, and i loved Future Trunks return, Black and Zamasu. and Pilaf Gang's jokes made me tear of laughing.

ToP is mixed to me. because it gave shining moments to many characters that we never thought they would shine (#17, #18, and even characters from other universes, like Caulifla and Kale that got a LOT of screen time, and i'm glad for this). In some stances we had top noch art and animation. lots of references of DBZ and DB, there were the Freeza's arrogance and his "ohoho" laugh. Goku and Vegeta's new forms, it was fun. After episode 116 i felt a big drop in quality. and except for episode 121, i was bored most of the time. Now it appears that things are being rushed, and Vegeta's shining wasn't too impressive, Toppo was WASTED (he didn't knocked even a single character in the Top, did he?), and Freeza except for his laugh, sadly he did nothing impressive until now, he was wasted too.

I think that DBS was a wasted series. Two movie retellings, two tournaments, only one arc with a major villain/boss. For me it would be better if it ended with another villain arc, or at least if the ToP happened BEFORE FT's arc and from FT's arc it jumped to EoZ.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 pm

It's a 7.5 out of 10. If it didn't have the movie adaptions, maybe an 8 out of 10. If Gohan fought more, Buu didn't sleep through two tournaments, and Trunks/Goten/Yamcha had some minor roles, I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 am

It's still a solid 8/10 for me (on par with Z). There were some missed opportunities, some bungled writing and some bad animation, but I had an immensely fun time watching a majority of the show and will miss it.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 am

Overall, I think the series if pretty great. I'm not an "entertainment critic" so maybe I have a different view of the things I watch, but if a show manages to keep me entertained enough for 3 years then I'd call that a success.

If I would rank the series now:

1. DBZ
2. DBS/DB
3. GT

I absolutely hated the first 2 arc retellings so that is basically the only reason I'd rank it below original DB or on-par.
Feels over Reals.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:29 pm

I like DBS a lot.It's flawed but still very entertaining.It introduced a lot of cool characters such as Hit,Goku Black,Zamasu,Toppo,Cabba,Kefla etc. and also gave shine to the side characters in the tournament of power,which was a great thing.
It's a solid 7/10 show. My rankings: DBZ>DB=DBS>DBGT.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:42 pm

A 7/10 for me which is the same as DBZ

8/10 for pure enjoyment and many great moments but 6/10 for the actual writing. The series has tons of flaws but it’s on par with what I think of most Shounen action series. I don’t really watch them for complex plots.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Worse than DB and Z but better than GT.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Like a 6.5/10 right now. If the last 3 episodes do something incredible, I’ll consider bumping it up to a 7/10. It’s probably not going to happen, though. Overall, I feel that Super was a series that should have come out like 4 months later than it actually did. The early production woes really hurt the movie arcs (especially RoF), and even some of the U6 arc. If they were more organized and had more time to animate, storyboard, etc., we could’ve had a much better series. Dumb problems like the young Pilaf Gang not being explained wouldn’t be a thing, for example.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.