With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Re: With Super almost finished what do you think of the overal series?

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:19 am

sintzu wrote:I was going to wait till it was over but at this point I don't think 6 episodes will tip the scale in either direction.

It has some really high points that not only make me happy about the franchise's return but also anticipate Super's return. There are Great fights, great character moments and great villains that I can watch all day and happily put them alongside the rest of the franchise. Its low points however are not only low for the show but the entire franchise as some of the writing and and production decisions are simply terrable and show a severe lack of understanding for the franchise's importance and lore. Taking both good and bad into account I'll give Super a 6/10. I give the original DB a 9, Kai an 8, Z a 7 and GT a 5. The original manga was lightning in a bottle so I didn't and still don't expect anything form modern DB to recapture that feeling and style but I still expected it to be better than it was and with how vocal the fanbase has been, I think it will be when it returns.
Lol giving Super a 6 just reeks of cynicism and elitesm.

You can't give GT a 5, then only give Super a 6. Super was wayyyyyyyy better then GT no matter which way you try to cut it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 am

Pannaliciour wrote:People must be in a delusion to think GT> Super.

Super was a great product/ serie. I enjoy the ride.

No it's not ok. If you are a dragon ball fan then every cell in your body is refusing that. Or you are not a fan.
They're not as GT did some things better than Super did.

It was a fun ride but nowhere near great.

Ending is the best thing it can do because the people working on it can look back and fix what didn't work and improve what did which will result in a better product.
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Lol giving Super a 6 just reeks of cynicism and elitesm.

You can't give GT a 5, then only give Super a 6.

Super was wayyyyyyyy better then GT no matter which way you try to cut it.
Care to explain what's cynicism and elitesm about it ?

It's my rating so I can give them what I want.

6 to me is way better than 5. I've read people say number ratings can give a wrong impression and I think they're right.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:29 am

Jord wrote:With each 'new' and higher god it decreases the title of god in the series. Everyone below the gods of destruction and Zeno's looks comparatively like a chump now.
I think what really decrease the title of gods is their personality. Look at Kaioshin of East's first appearance and compare to his most recent appearances... What they have done to him is one of the worst things I have seen to a character. No one in Dragon Ball act like a god but that should be expected since Toriyama is involved. You have a hierarchy of gods in other franchises, like Marvel, but you don't have this problem because they act like one.

Still, I mentioned it because I find interesting a pantheon.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:38 am

sintzu wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:People must be in a delusion to think GT> Super.

Super was a great product/ serie. I enjoy the ride.

No it's not ok. If you are a dragon ball fan then every cell in your body is refusing that. Or you are not a fan.
They're not as GT did some things better than Super did.

It was a fun ride but nowhere near great.

Ending is the best thing it can do because the people working on it can look back and fix what didn't work and improve what did which will result in a better product.
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Lol giving Super a 6 just reeks of cynicism and elitesm.

You can't give GT a 5, then only give Super a 6.

Super was wayyyyyyyy better then GT no matter which way you try to cut it.
Care to explain what's cynicism and elitesm about it ?

It's my rating so I can give them what I want.

6 to me is way better than 5. I've read people say number ratings can give a wrong impression and I think they're right.
Of course you can give it what ever rating you want

And I also can disregard "your opinion" because of the biased low rating you give it

I have my right, just as much as you have "your right"

I'm sorry but anyone who says GT was better or that Super was only marginally better, I just can't take them serious

This is how you sound like to me "Since Super was popular, I dislike it"

I'm if wrong, you can explain yourself better. I'm listening.

But let me guess, you think the manga is great though, right?

All the cynical elitests who thrash Super always turn around and then praise the manga (because it isn't as popular and some snowflakes think it makes them more special and edgier if they like/praise the less popular thing)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:45 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
And I also can disregard "your opinion" because of the biased low rating you give it

Anyone who says GT was better or that Super was only marginally better, I just can't take them serious

This is how you sound like to me "Since Super was popular, I have to be cynical towards it"

All the cynical elitests who thrash Super always turn around and then praise the manga.
How is it biased ?

I don't think it was (generally speaking) but why is your opinion or anyone else's more valid than theirs ?

This is what I said "It has some really high points that not only make me happy about the franchise's return but also anticipate Super's return. There are Great fights, great character moments and great villains that I can watch all day and happily put them alongside the rest of the franchise" How did you translate this to cynical and thrashing ? Thrashing would be something like "The anime is shit and the manga is gold" which isn't what I said. Both have strong and weak pointa that their staff needs to work on.

It has high points and low points that I think will be improved when it returns. What's there to explain ?

I like both of them so what does that make me ? Why can't I say you're a cynical elite because you like the anime over the manga ?
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 am

I don't see how anyone who loved DB or DBZ, can dislike Super so much and act like Super is a huge departure.

Super basically was DBZ for modern times, but with worse art, less consistencey, and no gore. But to be fair, the art in Super has gotten much better, and Super has had a consistent run of great episodes ever since 109.

Super was Toriyama's creation and everything major you saw in Super was Toriyama's vision

Maybe Toei did a piss poor job of executing in the beginning, but now they have been executing with classic DBZ quality and flair ever since episode 109

There isn't this huge gulf between DBZ and Super. Some people just blindly hate on Super (or are cynical toward it) because it's super popular. Same reason why a vocal minority of internet trolls hate on Goku - because Goku is the most popular and beloved character in all of Dragon Ball by country miles. The manority>>>the minority
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:55 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I don't see how anyone who loved DB or DBZ, can dislike Super so much and act like Super is a huge departure.

Super basically was DBZ for modern times, but with worse art, less consistencey, and no gore.

Super was Toriyama's creation and everything major you saw in Super was Toriyama's vision

Maybe Toei did a piss poor job of executing in the beginning, but now they have been executing with classic DBZ quality and flair ever since episode 109

Some people just blindly hate on Super because it's super popular.
I don't dislike Super though, I just think it has issues that need to be taken care of. It's a departure in the sense that its been 20 years since the original so clearly there are differences between them as the people working on it and the industry have went through major changes.

These are issues I think will be improved when its back which will result in a better product.

Toriyama has said time and again that his vision is changed by the staff and Toyotarou. The biggest example is Vegetto coming back being Toyotarou's idea.

There were plenty of quality episodes way before 109 such as Trunks and Goku's team up against Black and Zamasu.

These same people have been watching it weekly for nearly 130 weeks so I wouldn't take them that seriously cause if they hated it as much as they said then they wouldn't have stuck around that long. I'm not talking about people who have certain issues with it but the ones that say it's trash and has nothing good going for it.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:I don't see how anyone who loved DB or DBZ, can dislike Super so much and act like Super is a huge departure.

Super basically was DBZ for modern times, but with worse art, less consistencey, and no gore. But to be fair, the art in Super has gotten much better.

There isn't this huge gulf between DBZ and Super. Some people just blindly hate on Super (or are cynical toward it) because it's super popular. Same reason why a vocal minority of internet trolls hate on Goku - because Goku is the most popular and beloved character in all of Dragon Ball by country miles. The manority>>>the minority
Also worse writing, character work, buildup and payoff etc. Super got nothing on majority of DBZ. Z's heights are above anything Super managed to achieve.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 am

enjoyable, if you shut your brain off. I'd say it's a little better than GT, but not close to Dragonball or Z... ( I do like the manga tho)

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 am

sintzu wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:

Anyone who says GT was better or that Super was only marginally better, I just can't take them serious

This is how you sound like to me "Since Super was popular, I have to be cynical towards it"

All the cynical elitests who thrash Super always turn around and then praise the manga.
How is it biased ?

I don't think it was (generally speaking) but why is your opinion or anyone else's more valid than theirs ?

This is what I said "It has some really high points that not only make me happy about the franchise's return but also anticipate Super's return. There are Great fights, great character moments and great villains that I can watch all day and happily put them alongside the rest of the franchise" How did you translate this to cynical and thrashing ? Thrashing would be something like "The anime is shit and the manga is gold" which isn't what I said. Both have strong and weak pointa that their staff needs to work on.

It has high points and low points that I think will be improved when it returns. What's there to explain ?

I like both of them so what does that make me ? Why can't I say you're a cynical elite because you like the anime over the manga ?
You gave it a 6. Unless you use a different scale that's an insanely low score to me

You're descriptions don't sound like a 6 lol

I told you that you can rate it however low you want, just understand that people have a right to disagree and or disregard your opinion due to the low score

This is an open forum where anyone can jump in and disagree. I dont know why you are getting so offended

And I'm just telling you the patterns I've noticed. The majority of the time it's usually always the manga trolls who worship the magna yet hate on Super.

Off topic, its those same manga trolls who will try their hardest to convince everyone that Toriyama has nothing to do with the anime even though the anime more faithfully adopts Toriyama's outlines and transcripts. Toei themselfes just came out and said that the word of Toriyama is the word of God. Toriyama has to constantly keep in talks with Toyotaro because Toyotaro is the loose canon always trying to veer away from Toriyama's scripts. The anime is more canon then the manga.
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 am

I personally think the manga is boring and forgettable. It doesnt have any where near the same impact as the anime. The character moments of the anime. The epic music. The anime is just so much better. The manga is just an after thought.

Toyotaro is insanely over rated.

No way should a hack like Toyotaro be Toriyama's successor.

Toyotaro started out working on a fan series. He was literally just some random fan doing fanart lol. Get someone who actually worked on an official Dragon Ball series who learned from Toriyama, who gets what made Dragon Ball Z so special and who gets what Dragon Ball is

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 am

Basaku wrote:

Super basically was DBZ for modern times, but with worse art, less consistencey, and no gore. But to be fair, the art in Super has gotten much better.

Also worse writing, character work, buildup and payoff etc. Super got nothing on majority of DBZ. Z's heights are above anything Super managed to achieve.
You're delusional. No point in talking to someone who's that biased and stuck in their ways of thinking

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:22 am

The anime?

Premises I think would and could have been fun if handled by Toriyama personally playing out most limply on screen due to haphazard directorial and scripting choices, occasional gems aside. For the most part, a serialized Dragon Ball without its style, sincerity or charm.

It's frustrating. I'll revisit the manga, which is fluff, but mostly fun fluff in line with the two Toriyama movies—not on the same planet as the original run, but enjoyable as extra one-off sequel adventures—but I'm unlikely to rewatch the anime.
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 am

IM21 wrote:enjoyable, if you shut your brain off. I'd say it's a little better than GT, but not close to Dragonball or Z... ( I do like the manga tho)
And boom there it is. The kind of stereotypical "person" I was talking about. See, I told you guys:) Super is close to DBZ, and way better then GT. Deal with it. The manga is terribly over rated too

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 am

Goodness, this forum seems to be a huge gathering place, in fact - the central place, for the kind of cynical elitest or manga nerd troll I was talking about who blindly hates on Super. Embaressing

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Goodness, this forum seems to be a huge gathering place, in fact - the central place, for the kind of cynical elitest or manga nerd troll I was talking about who blindly hates on Super. Embaressing
When you were a "huge critic of Super in the past," did you have people pop into passively aggressively imply you weren't being honest about what you liked or disliked? Had that happened, would that have struck you as a cool or reasonable thing to do?
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 am

This fact will probably trigger the manga nerds.

The anime is much more canon, then the manga is.

Toei just came out and said that they treat the word of Toriyama as the word of God. They more faithfully adapt Toriyama's outlines and transcripts. Plus some Toei staff working on Super worked on DBZ. Super is as canon as it gets

It's Toyptaro who always tries to veer away from Toriyama's canon scripts. Hence why Toriyama has to talk more with Torotaro to get him back in line/or give him advice

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:39 am

I recently saw a pretty popular youtuber tweet about starting DBSuper, but wasn't sure if it was worth the time since it didn't seem that appealing. The vast majority of people replied with either 'no' or 'only if you're really into Dragon Ball.' Made me wonder if this really is how most of the fans viewed the series. It's not just a small group of vocal people.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:04 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:This is an open forum where anyone can jump in and disagree. I dont know why you are getting so offended.
Seriously? You're the one attacking everyone so take your own advice and accept that people don't like the anime as much as you do.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 am

I'll say it is average.It has some insanely high and similarly low moments.However,the basic flaw imo is that it amplifies dbz's bad moments.Bringing elements of og db in inappropriate places doesn't help either.

About manga and anime I like manga much more but objectively speaking both are nearly the same quality.

Compared to anime which started new things after two retellings,manga did not become it's own thing till late U6 arc.Manga might not have certain flaws of anime but toyotaro plays it too safe.He is improving and current arc is better than anime up till now but we'll see about that.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball