With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Post by Guesswhoo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 am

Timetraveller wrote:
Guesswhoo wrote: Lets be honest, DBS was doomed to fail in the eyes of the many since the beginning because the majority was waiting for it to fail, the majority was waiting for it to be "worse" or "as bad as GT",
Not me. When Super was announced I called all of my friends in excitement and fist pumped the air more times than I can remember. I wanted it to succeed so badly. It doesn't take much to satisfy me but Super even fails at that. Future Trunks was my favorite character and they even messed that up by giving him blue hair.

Sorry, but I can't put it over GT. It's too weak on plot and the character and transformation designs are boring and stale. They went overboard with the fanservice too. The last 2 arcs are a step in the right direction though. If a sequel can build on that it'll be the DBZ sequel everyone wanted.
You have the right to dislike it and I too think that they went (a bit) overboard with fan service. However cheap criticism and bandwagon are what irks me the most and seeing DB suffer from it even before Super began is just painful as it is the best manga I ever read. Just look at how episode 5 blew up, disproportionate to say the least, the majority of anime have their (really) bad animated episode but somehow DBS gets a special treatment ? I can understand it because DB is a big franchise loved by many so a horribly animated episode is unacceptable, but here the majority of trashing (for what I know) wasn't about how bad the production of anime was in Toei and how they should pull their shit together quickly for One Piece and DBS, instead we got an armies of meme trashing the franchise, comment on how DBS shouldn't exist and DB(Z) is an overrated work that SHOULD DIE ALREADY, others are trash talking Toriyama's writing.
Well we are on internet anyway so those are inevitable (somehow) but that will be the demise of DB franchise as it was for many other thing (Sonic for example).

PS : all this is off topic but thanks for reading the rant even if you disagree

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:16 am

Timetraveller wrote:
Guesswhoo wrote: Lets be honest, DBS was doomed to fail in the eyes of the many since the beginning because the majority was waiting for it to fail, the majority was waiting for it to be "worse" or "as bad as GT",
Not me. When Super was announced I called all of my friends in excitement and fist pumped the air more times than I can remember. I wanted it to succeed so badly. It doesn't take much to satisfy me but Super even fails at that. Future Trunks was my favorite character and they even messed that up by giving him blue hair.

Sorry, but I can't put it over GT. It's too weak on plot and the character and transformation designs are boring and stale. They went overboard with the fanservice too. The last 2 arcs are a step in the right direction though. If a sequel can build on that it'll be the DBZ sequel everyone wanted.
I was pumped up as well although I was curious to see how they could go beyond Buu, a guy that has the power to blow up planets as easy as he did. They did think of an interesting direction with Beerus and his erasing powers but beyond that couldn't keep up the quality.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:01 pm

The Future Trunks arc was by far my favourite. Taking the whole time travel aspect of it to one side, as well as some of the parallels to the Android arc in Z, it was the most creative & original idea for the series they came up with.

Goku Black & Zamasu really made the arc, some of the best antagonistic threat that the franchise has ever produced. It also provided my favourite scene in the entire series with Vegito Blue vs Fused Zamasu.

The only main downside for me was Trunks' character, felt they mishandled him for the majority of it.

The series overall I felt was just too 'flat' too often, sub-par production littered throughout really hampered it. Some really nice ideas just weren't being knocked out of the park and that's pretty frustrating.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm

Besides the movie retellings, which I think are even worse than GT, Super is pretty damn good for what it is, more Dragon Ball. All things considered, it could have been a lot worse, and the good parts like character interactions and the Future Trunks/Goku Black arc are stellar. My only other criticism is that the Tournament of Power kind of drags a bit, but it is almost over...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Appers

Post by Appers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Super had a really rocky start, but I ended up really starting to enjoy it after the Zamasu arc started.

It certainly has its problems but I don't like to dwell on them since it's new Dragon Ball content and I'm just happy to see it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:21 pm

The amount of people who complain that Future Trunks has "blue hair" and uses that as a negative is mind blowing to me. Like people are seriously having mental breakdowns over a characters hair color being changed.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Super is...decent. I definitely think it’s my least favorite of the different series but I’m also divided on it. The stuff that’s good is REALLY good but I don’t feel there was more good than bad. The characterization was iffy at times and I have to admit to not really liking this final arc even though there are moments within it that I do appreciate.

Initially, I skipped the first 40 episodes and when I went back and finally watched them, I really didn’t feel I missed anything. The Goku Black Arc was definitely my favorite and I did like the family dynamics in the slice of life episodes. This series did get me to warm up to Beerus as I originally was not impressed with him in BOG so I do have to give it props for that.

All in all, I’ll likely revisit certain episodes and I am glad I saw it but as a whole, I don’t see myself watching it over and over like the rest of the series.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:18 pm

I liked it well enough. Yes, it has had problems, no question. But I still overall enjoyed it.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:26 am

I think it's comparable to GT, but you could argue GT was better in some areas. Super really suffered from having a bunch of writers and the rough animation schedule. This led to a lot of inconsistencies within the show while GT felt much more cohesive. But I think the Hakaishin and God forms, Zamasu, and Black were more interesting than Baby, Super 17, and the Shadow Dragons. Overall it was much worse than DB and DBZ. I would probably drop it below GT if they continue with this lackluster finish to this arc. We'll see in the next 5 episodes.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:14 am

precita wrote:The amount of people who complain that Future Trunks has "blue hair" and uses that as a negative is mind blowing to me. Like people are seriously having mental breakdowns over a characters hair color being changed.
Literally no one is having a "mental breakdown" over Trunks' hair color. Don't deliberately blow minor criticisms out of proportion to make people you disagree with look bad. Taking issue with an abrupt and completely arbitrary change in a character's distinctive hair color is a minor, yet perfectly valid criticism. Would you expect people to say nothing if Piccolo's skin was suddenly yellow for no particular reason, despite it being green for decades? This shouldn't be mind blowing.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 pm

precita wrote:The amount of people who complain that Future Trunks has "blue hair" and uses that as a negative is mind blowing to me. Like people are seriously having mental breakdowns over a characters hair color being changed.
As the person before me said, it's perfectly valid criticism. You can't go changing Future Trunks' hair color but keep the current Trunks hair color purple. It is a negative that makes no sense no matter how you look at it

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Timetraveller wrote:
As the person before me said, it's perfectly valid criticism. You can't go changing Future Trunks' hair color but keep the current Trunks hair color purple. It is a negative that makes no sense no matter how you look at it
That was a pretty strange change. Bulma's hair color changed as well but she could have dyed it. Assuming she didn't she's the one person with 3 different hair colors between the manga and anime.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

I enjoyed DBS....And I loved the new characters, in special Vados!

But I'm really sad because they created an amazing plot, but they didn't used at all. We didn't see NOTHING about:

- Universes 1, 5, 8 and 12;
- Zarama/Zalama;
- Hakaishins fighting with their full power;
- An angel using his/her maximum power or at least fighting (why in hell they created guys with that power but never fights?);
- Daishinkan's power or fighting too;
- Zen'oh guards in action;

And other things that we saw just a little part:

- Universe 6 in general;
- Planet sadara;
- Some fighters from U2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10 and 11;

In the begining the art was horrible, but they improved and now it's really god!
Vados Sama!

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Not very good at all. I'd call it 'watchable' at best. You know, like fast-food you'd eat it but wouldn't do you any good.

Dragon Ball Super at first had me hyped up because, you know, it's Dragon Ball and I've been longing so long for a new Dragon Ball series that I tried to keep my expectations up but they drastically dropped quite quickly.

Season 1: Battle of Gods - Just a remake with a few new scenes thrown in.
Season 2: Resurrection F - Another remake.
Season 3: A tournament with a Freeza clone, a purple Piccolo, a nipple guy, a sensitive robot but that Saiyan kid was somewhat interesting, at least.
Season 4: Future Trunks arc - We got another evil Goku as if that hadn't been done before.. yay.
Season 5: The ToP thing and Freeza coming back AGAIN? I don't really care at this point. Jiren to me looks like a GT reject and the whole battle and the art style just look too cheap (like it did on Season 3, too) compared to the old days.

I don't get why everyone loves Jiren so much. Jiren has a terrible character design, he has no personality and looks like a huge cockroach.

Dragon Ball Super is such a disaster for me that I can't wait for this train wreck to end already.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Unfortunately, Super has paper-thin plot, too many inconsistencies, lots of retcons, contrived plot devices, abysmal power scaling, on the most part poor animation and off-model art on the fighting scenes, a lot of uninspiring/generic/repetitive fighting choreography, lazy transformation designs that are just hair and/or aura recoloring. Still if you can see past through its flaws you can be entertained. One thing Super excels at, on the most part, are the character moments and character interactions. Also, the slice-of-life episodes are good.

Overall for me Dragonball Super is a solid 4.5/10 on average though there have been occasional spikes of brilliance of 9.5/10-10/10. On average I would place it on par with GT, yet again I am not one of those who think GT is utter trash anyway. For reference, if I were to score the several Dragonball anime instalments my scoring would be as follows:
1. Original DB (canon parts): 9/10
2. DBZ (canon parts): 9/10
3. Original DB (everything): 7.25/10
4. DBZ (everything): 6.5/10
5. DBGT (49-episode version, episodes 1, 17-64): 5/10
6. DBSuper (everything): 4.5/10
7. DBGT (everything): 4/10

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Super entertained me in these last 2-3 years during its air time. And really what more can i ask.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 pm

2.1 Season 1: God of Destruction Beerus
- It has a moment or two but it accomplished nothing that the movie either did better or in a fraction of the amount. Stick with Battle of Gods.

2.2 Season 2: Golden Frieza
- Again, it has its moments but even the extra stuff just becomes redundant in later episodes. For example, Kuririn decides he wants to train again. Then in a later arc he decides he wants to train again. Stick with Resurrection F.

2.3 Season 3: Universe 6
- As far as I'm concerned this is where the series actually begins. I FREAKIN' LOVE CHAMPA! He and Beerus are officially my favorite DB characters. I appreciate the return of the tournament arcs since that's where DB has always really shined. The tournaments allowed the cast to fight and defeat opponents in their own unique and generally humorous ways. To me the manga and anime were at their best during these times because not every fight was about preventing an apocalypse. This arc had a bit of everything I love about DB from it's silliness, it's charm, and its action.

2.4 Season 4: "Future" Trunks
- There were a few personal minor highlights for me, mainly the fact that Yajirobe actually got to do things for a change and the fact that we got to spend more time in the future. But I was let down pretty hard by the conclusion. I can't believe Goten was absent throughout almost the entire arc. Future Trunks and kid Goten would have been pure gold but nope, Goten got shafted again. I was especially disappointed because I thought for sure Black was going to turn out to be Goten in some way shape or form. Also for an arc that hangs so heavily on the idea of hope, they chose to just destroy the universe...kay.

2.5 Season 5: Universe Survival
- Can't give my final thoughts on this one until it's over but so far I'm loving it. I have no issue with the supposed "power scaling issues" since like most of the previous tournaments everybody who participated in the fight got a chance to defeat somebody formidable. Now let's just hope that they don't cop out on the ending.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:21 pm

I really enjoyed the Universe 6 Tournament arc, simply because it harkened back to old school DB and focused on just the characters and fighting. I think this is when I enjoyed Super the most. The Freeza clone was annoying, sure, but at least the other characters were interesting enough.

The other arcs? Meh. The universe can only be in danger of getting destroyed so many times before it starts to get repetitive and completely predictable. Worse, they all felt like bad fan fictions. Evil Goku, literal wall Jiren, god that can make universes disappear in a second, new unnecessary transformations, the return and retcon of Vegetto, fusions galore, etc. Not to mention the lack of any tension at all. Which is a problem resulting from the "Oh my god the universe is in danger again, how will our heroes ever get through this crisis?" plot that gets recycled over and over. That's why Universe 6 arc was the more enjoyable one. When you get to the point where the main characters are basically gods, you do should away with the apocalypse plots and instead focus on character interactions and development.

That's not to say I haven't enjoyed it. In fact, I'm sad it's ending. I've come to enjoy it through the lenses of someone who knows he's watching a children's show, designed to sell merchandise, and thus I don't have those huge criticisms or praises for it (or assign number reviews :roll: ) that people are giving it. It is what it is. I could write entire paragraphs describing what's been good or bad about it but in the end what matters is that it was a fun ride while it lasted.

Also, I really liked Goku's gi from the Resurrection and Universe 6 arcs. I know the other one is the more iconic one so that's why they went back to it for the last arc, but the new one was just an improvement visually (I always disliked those awful boots and dumb "shirt underneath a gi" concept) and also much needed to introduce Goku to the new age we live in. If the series returns with post-Z material, I hope they bring it back.

Just look at it.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 am

After reading the rest of this thread, heres all that comes to mind

People need to be able to understand the difference between what is an actual flaw vs something you just didnt personally like thats subjective

I see posts "detailing" flaws...and I'm just going "naw I liked that aspect"....a lot the "criticisms" I've seen are entirely subjective

People are entitled to their opinion to hate Super, but I dont care what anyone says, I loved Super and wont change that opinion for anyone

I agree with what someone else already said, that because Super started off on a bad foot, people still unfairly attached that negative stigma to Super and just nitpick just to nitpick

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:After reading the rest of this thread, heres all that comes to mind

People need to be able to understand the difference between what is an actual flaw vs something you just didnt personally like thats subjective

I see posts "detailing" flaws...and I'm just going "naw I liked that aspect"....a lot the "criticisms" I've seen are entirely subjective

People are entitled to their opinion to hate Super, but I dont care what anyone says, I loved Super and wont change that opinion for anyone

I agree with what someone else already said, that because Super started off on a bad foot, people still unfairly attached that negative stigma to Super and just nitpick just to nitpick
Super has a lot of objective flaws. Granted, so did the original DB manga but nowhere near as bad as Super.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"