With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

With Super almost finished what do you think of the overall series?

Post by Jord » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:54 pm

A new Dragonball series...who would have thunk?
Now that it's almost over how did you enjoy the series?

To recap we got the following sagas/seasons:
2.1 Season 1: God of Destruction Beerus
2.2 Season 2: Golden Frieza
2.3 Season 3: Universe 6
2.4 Season 4: "Future" Trunks
2.5 Season 5: Universe Survival

To me, it felt a bit of a cop out to start out with two 'recap' seasons that basically recapped the two movies with some differences. Having seen the movies already, It was interesting to see what they changed but ultimately not very exciting. However, I suppose this was done so TOEI had more time to prepare and create new and original sagas. That being said I absolutely hate the "rewind time" ending of Golden Frieza. That was such a cop out.

The Universe 6 saga was pretty fun. It introduced some cool characters like Hit and Champa and gave us a lot of fun fights where not every fight was won by brawn which I appreciate. However, looking back at it now it's basically a smaller version of the Universal survival saga which is pretty weird in retrospect. I do however like the more focussed aspect of having only 2 universes giving the writers more time to flesh out the characters.

I really liked the Future Trunks saga. Goku Black was an interesting villain as was Zamasu. Their motivations were interesting, they were incredibly strong and I loved the feeling of tension during this part of the series with the viewers trying to figure out how Goku Black was connected to Goku and the struggles of the surviving people in Trunks' timeline.

And now the Universal Survival Saga. It's okay I guess. It's not that exciting to me. It was announced a s a sort of Royal Rumble but we got a lot of episodes with isolated fighting (2 vs 2 or 1 vs 1) with no one else in sight during the fight which was the whole point of the tournament to begin with. It felt like a lot of filler starring a lot of jobbers from who'd you already know didn't stand a chance. There are a few interesting new characters and Ultra Instinct is also a nice feature but I feel this part could have been trimmed down a bit.

As for the production, it's a mixed bag. Animation is hit or miss but generally acceptable with the exception of infamous episode 5. (which in retrospect looks incredibly hilarious) but when I look at the story...well it's a miss for the most part to me. We got 2 recaps, 2 tournaments with the second one being basically a bigger version of the first one and a original saga. We did get new power ups but the characters are basically the same as they were when it started. There's little growth in their personalities (except maybe for Gohan a bit) which makes them feel a bit more flat than in the other series.
Worst of all though...the pacing. It still moves at a nail's pace. With DBZ the anime had to wait to keep up with the manga but I was hoping that with the Anime now being the main focus we could get somewhat of a less padded series. GT gets a lot of flack here but it did show us how Dragonball can be when it has a brisker pace. Same goes for Kai I guess but I haven't seen that series.
Overal I would rate the series a 6/10. Could be a 7/10 if we get a Super Kai.

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: With Super almost finished what do you think of the overal series?

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Jord wrote:A new Dragonball series...who would have thunk?
Now that it's almost over how did you enjoy the series?

To recap we got the following sagas/seasons:
2.1 Season 1: God of Destruction Beerus
2.2 Season 2: Golden Frieza
2.3 Season 3: Universe 6
2.4 Season 4: "Future" Trunks
2.5 Season 5: Universe Survival

To me, it felt a bit of a cop out to start out with two 'recap' seasons that basically recapped the two movies with some differences. Having seen the movies already, It was interesting to see what they changed but ultimately not very exciting. However, I suppose this was done so TOEI had more time to prepare and create new and original sagas. That being said I absolutely hate the "rewind time" ending of Golden Frieza. That was such a cop out.

The Universe 6 saga was pretty fun. It introduced some cool characters like Hit and Champa and gave us a lot of fun fights where not every fight was won by brawn which I appreciate. However, looking back at it now it's basically a smaller version of the Universal survival saga which is pretty weird in retrospect. I do however like the more focussed aspect of having only 2 universes giving the writers more time to flesh out the characters.

I really liked the Future Trunks saga. Goku Black was an interesting villain as was Zamasu. Their motivations were interesting, they were incredibly strong and I loved the feeling of tension during this part of the series with the viewers trying to figure out how Goku Black was connected to Goku and the struggles of the surviving people in Trunks' timeline.

And now the Universal Survival Saga. It's okay I guess. It's not that exciting to me. It was announced a s a sort of Royal Rumble but we got a lot of episodes with isolated fighting (2 vs 2 or 1 vs 1) with no one else in sight during the fight which was the whole point of the tournament to begin with. It felt like a lot of filler starring a lot of jobbers from who'd you already know didn't stand a chance. There are a few interesting new characters and Ultra Instinct is also a nice feature but I feel this part could have been trimmed down a bit.

As for the production, it's a mixed bag. Animation is hit or miss but generally acceptable with the exception of infamous episode 5. (which in retrospect looks incredibly hilarious) but when I look at the story...well it's a miss for the most part to me. We got 2 recaps, 2 tournaments with the second one being basically a bigger version of the first one and a original saga. We did get new power ups but the characters are basically the same as they were when it started. There's little growth in their personalities (except maybe for Gohan a bit) which makes them feel a bit more flat than in the other series.
Worst of all though...the pacing. It still moves at a nail's pace. With DBZ the anime had to wait to keep up with the manga but I was hoping that with the Anime now being the main focus we could get somewhat of a less padded series. GT gets a lot of flack here but it did show us how Dragonball can be when it has a brisker pace. Same goes for Kai I guess but I haven't seen that series.
Overall I would rate the series a 6/10. Could be a 7/10 if we get a Super Kai.
As I'm just about catching up, I feel like I can give some input.

I enjoy some aspects of Super but in the long run, it's been underwhelming to me and has really aggravated me in a lot of places. With relations to itself and to older series.

I'm not too fond of GT but I think it was a far better series personally and that's saying a lot.

But overall, if I want to be fair... than a 6/10 is probably the score I'd give it. It was enjoyable enough... I guess.

However, like GT, I will pretend this is a "what-if" story that takes place in an alternate timeline.
Last edited by GamerSkull on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm

a solid 4/10.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 pm

It's no worse than Dragon Ball Z. It's better in ways and worse in other ways but overall they're both on par.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm

It was an okay series. Mainly because of some specific things, such as:

• Giving more love to Super Saiyan 2.
• Introducing a character above Sozoshins and Hakaishins.
• Introducing some different and cool techniques, as well as using Final Kamehameha from video-games.
• Expanding just a little bit about the Multiverse.
• A couple of awesome soundtracks.
• Goku Black.

But I was really expecting more for a main series and for being the main product of this franchise. They missed a lot of opportunities, they refused to leave the comfort zone, they didn't expanded certain things the way it should have been, they didn't explain major concepts, two tournaments practically one after the other and one saga with an actual plot (and its ending was the most crappy one I have even seen in Dragon Ball), one annoying inconsistency. All of that combined prevented Dragon Ball Super from being spetacular, it could have been way better. Oh, and there was no need to waste time retellings the movies.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:01 pm

I think Super as a whole could have been a better series, and now that Super will end with the Tournament of Power arc, it seems that potential storylines such as Universe 6's Planet Sadala or the ominous and mysterious Dragon God Zalama will not be explored. But i hope that Super or a new Dragon Ball series will return after the Saiyan movie.

But i think that the Future Trunks arc was one of the best arcs in the entire franchise. For various reasons:

> The plot: It was gripping, intriguing. The mystery surrounding the identity of Goku Black was wonderfully executed, it kept the community guessing for months and months. There were so many theories all over the internet. And the ending was unexpected and dark. An ending which proves that the good guy not always gets to live happily ever after. I liked it. There was build-up to it, as several characters had stated that Fused Zamasu's power had expanded to no end and that his mere existence was beyond the comprehension of Gods, and even Super Saiyan Rosè Black was able to create a rift through time and space. So it did not come out of nowhere, it was cleverly foreshadowed beforehand.

> The main villain: Zamasu, the young and promising Supreme Kai who was driven to genocide by his strong sense of justice. He was the most dangerous villain the Z Fighters have ever faced, able to utterly defeat the protagonists twice and merge with the very fabric of the Universe, becoming the spiritual embodiement of divine justice and order. His character truly was unique; there was a reason behind his deeds, he saw himself as a good guy, he thought that wiping out evil (mortals) was the sacred duty of a God, and he truly did want to build a perfect utopian world that would never be sullied. One of the most fascinating and intriguing villains in the entire franchise. He has the highest body count in the entire series, having single-handedly destroyed countless mortal civilizations and even causing the erasure of an entire timeline. No other villain comes close to Zamasu's accomplishments. Not even the infamous Frieza, who is often praised as the best villain in Dragon Ball, and yet who failed to obtain immortality.

> The battle scenes: There are so many iconic battles from this arc. Goku and Trunks vs. Black and Zamasu in episode 57 and Vegito vs. Fused Zamasu in episode 66 are praised as some of the best fight scenes in the entire franchise, with superb animation and fantastically written coreography. And there were so many iconic moments in this arc. Black killing Bulma, Super Saiyan Rosè, Beerus killing Zamasu, Super Saiyan Rage, Vegeta's revenge agaisnt Black, the Father-Son Galick Gun against Fused Zamasu, Vegito etc...

So, personally, i think the Future Trunks arc was fantastic, superb, and Zamasu has become my absolute favourite character in all of Dragon Ball (and i would absolutely love if he were to return in a future series or movie). But sadly, i didn't like the other arcs at all. I am sick and tired of tournaments, and the first two arcs were just a recycle of the movies. And, you know, i hope that the ToP arc won't overshadow the Future Trunks arc in the future.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm glad it exists, because we got some cool characters, concepts and fight scenes out of it, but it wasn't very good. I thought it was improving after the Black arc (though it became a train wreck by the time it finished), but the Tournament of Power changed my opinion real quick, since it just amplifies all the problems the series had from the start. It's a bad series; it's unorganized, it feels disjointed and there's no focus, since every writer seems to be doing their own thing with little to no communication between them. Toriyama is at fault too, since some of his plot points and concepts, even if executed terribly by Toei and/or Toyotaro, are fundamentally flawed. The scale of the series is severely reduced every time it tries to widen it, which takes some really bad writing to do.

It was still better than GT, I guess, and entertaining to watch, even if infuriating due to all the lost potential.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Despite my personal feelings on it, i find it difficult for me to imagine Dragon ball without Super and there are things about super that are objective whether I want them to be or not.

Objectively, Super has a much better pace than Z or GT.

Objectively, Super is more inconsistent than any other 3 series franchise.

Objectively, Super is a very disorganized series.

Objectively, Super has failed to live up to expectations that it or its predecessors have laid out.

Objectively, Super was a success especially in this anime climate and it has brought fights that we won't forget.

Personally, super will be remembered more fondly than GT was, because it added more things to the Franchise that we liked such as HIt, Black, and 17's revival and all GT added was super saiyan 4, that being said, it will not be remembered fondly itself and it will only grow more polarizing as time goes on.

It terms of making a successful series, they succeeded here. In terms of making a quality series that we as a fanodam can be proud of and say to nonfans check it out, they failed here big time.

IMO, Super is the most disappointing thing that has ever carried the Dragon ball name, not because of what it didn't do but because it failed what it to tried to do. They failed to make the movies better with the recaps, they failed to make a small skirmish between two teams exciting and intense with U6 , they failed to maximize on a great start they had with the future trunks arc and they failed to make the biggest stakes Dragon ball has ever had actually feel like it and made something truly unique to the franchise the most stereotypical thing any nonfan would think dragon ball really is.

It reminds me of Bleach, it had something but it never touched it and all we have is a colossal waste of a series that in all honesty could have and should have accomplished way more than it did

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Oh hey, it's another one of these threads. Again.

I'm withholding judgment until it's actually finished, but I think it's overall pretty mediocre. We'll see if the climax and conclusion sell the story well enough enough to be worth the slog.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 pm

Bullza wrote:It's no worse than Dragon Ball Z. It's better in ways and worse in other ways but overall they're both on par.
Agreed.

Z's highest highs may be higher, but it's lowest lows are waaaay lower than anything Super's done. If anything, I've enjoyed Super more than anything post-mid Namek Arc in Z.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:05 am

I've really loved it, and I'm glad it was made. Aside from the first two arcs are that pretty bland.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:27 am

Grimlock wrote:It was an okay series. Mainly because of some specific things, such as:
• Introducing a character above Sozoshins and Hakaishins.
I don't know if that was such a good thing. During DBZ we got a HUGE inflation of the status of the gods in the universe. At first we only had God/Kami. That was pretty cool, to have God in the series.Next we got the Kaios, then the Great Kaio, then the Kaioshin, then the great Kaioshin, then the Gods of destruction, then the Zeno's.
With each 'new' and higher god it decreases the title of god in the series. Everyone below the gods of destruction and Zeno's looks comparatively like a chump now.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:09 am

I'm not really sure what to think about it, honestly. It's a decent show now, but we only have two good arcs. BoG and RoF arcs were both horrific, and U6 was so mediocre that it hurt. FT was a lot better but suffered from a lot of narrative issues as well as the art still looking like shit from time to time. ToP arc has been overall pretty high quality and if Super started here, it wouldn't have received anywhere near the criticism it first did.

I guess I'm happy it exists since now I'm into Dragon Ball more than ever, I just wish it didn't make so many mistakes.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 am

I love it a lot and it will be damn missed.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 am

I still have to give it a proper watch. By the time it became available worldwide, there were a tone of episodes to catch up to, so some portions of it, specifically the first two arcs, I have sorta just skimmed through. What's sad is that I'm not really feeling the re-watch value and I use that sometimes to help me evaluate just how much I've liked something. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved some bits of it, but it lacks something that makes me like the series as a whole. Some things about it frustrate me to no end, and it's times like these that I wish I were a far more casual fan, because it's the attachment to the franchise that makes me more sensitive to the defects (of which there are quite a few) And I'm generally a pretty undemanding and easy-to-please person.

The TOP is my favorite arc and I think it's also the best looking one, I was seriously hoping this would be the starting point of a substantial rise in quality for DBS. Oh well...

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 am

Ill gladly take Super over the Buu arc and maybe even the Cell Arc.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:11 am

People must be in a delusion to think GT> Super. Super was a great product/ serie. I enjoy the ride. In some moments it was even a better than the best of Z. Great fights, soundtrack, technique and forms. The episode 109 and 110 where the best in history of Dragon Ball. But the best fight was still that sick fight with Goku vs Cell (only the moments that they speed up the fight till the end). 2nd was the Goku vs Jiren fight. Maybe its me but I like short speedy fights. Sometimes in Z they where fighting like foreever! But super will have the Goku vs Jiren 2nd round so maybe it can still be the best fight in history of dragon ball.

The problem with some dragonball fan is that they remember the best of Z of GT. I challenge you to watch some episodes that where boring as fu.... Z and GT had plenty of them. Its youtube fault. But over 10 years orso you will see that Super was a fantastic product. But people are getting episode spoiled because they can't wait and then they will say that it was not wat they expected to be. REALLY?

I leave it by this. Still can't understand that people are saying: "glad that super ends", "its ok that super ends".

No it's not ok. If you are a dragon ball fan then every cell in your body is refusing that. Or you are not a fan.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:52 am

The Ressurection F arc and Future Trunk arc were by far the worst arcs in Super (for very different reasons).

All though the Future Trunks arc had neat ideas and cool concepts, the execution on it all was absolutely terrible. The arc as a whole felt extremely rushed with one of the worst abrupt endings in the history of a Dragon Ball arc. It went by way too fast

The Power of Tournament arc was by far the greatest thing about Super.

- Goku vs Kale/Caulifla/Kefla mini-arc giving us one of the greatest fights and kamehamehas in Dragon Ball history

- Goku UI felt like watching Goku go SS1 for the first time.

God, I hope Goku's shirtless UI Omen transformation that the promo material teased surpasses the epicness and scale of Goku's SSJ transformation on Namek.

- God of Destruction Toppo episode

Those are just off the top of my head. I can list many more

The thing that really upsets me the most is, just as Super started to really hit it's stride and reach (even surpass) the epicness of classic DBZ, now it's suddenly ending.

These last episodes of the tournament of power have been absolutely fantastic. Episode 110, 116, 118, The Aniraza elimination episode, 123(Goku utilising strategy against Jiren 1v1), and episode 125 are among some of my favorite episodes in all of Dragon Ball.

Starting from 109 on to right now, the only episodes I didnt love were 122 and 124. And only 124 out right pissed me off. (I hate Vegeta. I wanted Gohan to make it far longer. Not see Vegeta last this long)

Finally Super started hitting classic DBZ levels consistently, and now it's about to be over. I was really hoping that the best arc in Super(tournament of power) would segway into another arc after the wish, and that they would ride that momentum of quality into the new arc, and start being consistent like classic DBZ.

Now we won't get anything. It's a major bummer.

My only hope now is that they end Super on the highest note possible.

They better make Goku's UI Omen transformation as epic as possible with a new epic theme song and everything..and they have to NAIL UI Omen Goku vs Jiren 1 vs 1 in the most epic and satisfying way possible. If they hit those 2 things out of the park then they will have succeeded in ending Super on the highest note possible, and it will make the ending of Super sting less.

However I still remain hopeful that this is only the end of chapter 1 of Super, and that chapter 2 of Super will start next year after the movie

There were still so many more stories to tell in Super.

-The 5 strongest in the multiverse. Backstory on the angels (even on Jiren). The grand priest. Planet Sadala. Exploring the other universes. The demon realm and demon kais etc etc

Imagine an arc where the grand priest and some angels went rouge. Imagine Whis going against his father to help universe 7. Imagine if after Goku and Jiren's epic battle testing each other to their limits that they grew to respect each other and Jiren helped Goku out in the fight against the Grand Preist and rouge angels?

There was a lot they still could've done

Remember at one point Frieza was the strongest in the universe. And people would ask back then "where do you go from here. How can you write a villian any higher then that. They wrote themselfes into a corner"....yet we still got 2 major villians Cell and Buu....

There's always someone they can introduce who's more evil/menacing. Theres always another story to tell

Hopefully Toriyama comes back rejuvenated after the movie and hits us with amazing new arcs that continue on from the quality and execution of the tournament of power where no mistakes are made this time and everything remains consistent. Its all about pacing and execution.
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:10 am

I was going to wait till it was over but at this point I don't think 6 episodes will tip the scale in either direction.

It has some really high points that not only make me happy about the franchise's return but also anticipate Super's return. There are Great fights, great character moments and great villains that I can watch all day and happily put them alongside the rest of the franchise. Its low points however are not only low for the show but the entire franchise as some of the writing and and production decisions are simply terrable and show a severe lack of understanding for the franchise's importance and lore. Taking both good and bad into account I'll give Super a 6/10. I give the original DB a 9, Kai an 8, Z a 7 and GT a 5. The original manga was lightning in a bottle so I didn't and still don't expect anything form modern DB to recapture that feeling and style but I still expected it to be better than it was and with how vocal the fanbase has been, I think it will be when it returns.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 am

I was a huge critic of Super in the past

The Torunament of Power arc really changed me and got me completely on board with Super.

I love Super.

We would definently be missing out on a lot if Super never happened.

Even those critical of Super should be appreciative for its place in the lore and everything it brought to the table. Now that Super is said to be ending you see everyone coming out saying they are sad. That just goes to show, love or hate, people looked forward to the weekly episodes of Super to see what would happen next

Super gave a lot of people something to look forward to

My only disappointment is that Super seems to be ending(for now).

I would be so happy if they announced that Super is coming back again, and that it was only taking a seasonal break to get the movie out

One thing I hated about early Super is how much they nerfed Goku (physically and personality wise/mentally)

They seemed to have forgotten that all though Goku did like to have fun and joke around sometimes, that when it came time to be serious in DBZ, Goku didn't play around and took serious matters very seriously all the time

The tournament of power finally returned Goku to the classic Goku from DBZ. The Goku who knew when it was time to be serious, and who took names, and who was a legit badass.

I also hated how they always had to have Vegeta be equal with Goku. It's Goku's show, not Vegetas.

What I loved about the tournament of power arc is that they finally made Goku great again and finally they had Goku winning a major battle against a major opponent (Kefla). I really hope Goku becomes the one to defeat Jiren one on one, and that it's like Goku's battle against Frieza on Namek - no gimmicks, no crutches, no bs, where Goku simply rises to the occasion all on his own and overcomes the odds with his UI Omen transformation

The tournament of Power arc finally returned Goku to the badass he truly is...They truly tried to make Goku great again...and I love that. Let's hope Goku beats Jiren 1v1.

Really my only 2 disappointments of Super are the poor handling of Gohan, and the fact that Vegeta seems to be the only secondary character who exists. Vegeta never had a large following so it boggles my mind why Super became the Vegeta show. What happened to Gohan? Why couldn't they give Gohan that much love? Gohan the son of Goku who was said to have limitless potential. If Vegeta doesn't get eliminated soon i will be disappointed
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.