Is episode 105 one of the best episodes in the series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is episode 105 one of the best episodes in the series?

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:37 am

I hated that episode. 107 though, that was good

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:06 am

Miracles wrote: Roshi helping Vegeta against frost was much better
I don't know if it was better but it certainly was cool lol

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:58 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Miracles wrote: Roshi helping Vegeta against frost was much better
I don't know if it was better but it certainly was cool lol
In what way was the Roshi/Vegeta team up not better than anything from 105?

oozaru goku

Post by oozaru goku » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:06 am

I honestly couldn't remember what the episode is about. Most episodes of ToP are just the same with fodders kept getting asspull and sacrificed. Even the way vegeta and 17 did before his "revival" was all the same way and I knew it shouldn't be real death so there's no any excitement at all

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:08 pm

JazzMazz wrote: In what way was the Roshi/Vegeta team up not better than anything from 105?
I said I don't know if it's "better", I certainly enjoyed both
I explained previous page all I love in 105

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I honestly wasn't a fan of it. It introduced 2 well designed new characters with interesting abilities (Ganos and Darkori) that I wanted to see more of but they quickly got eliminated by Roshi who shoudn't have even been in this tournament. Didn't he retire from fighting? And the first half of the episode with the pink haired girl vs Roshi was so boring and it just made me roll my eyes why was a weakling like her even choosen for this tournament and how did she make it this far. The way she was eliminated also wasn't funny at all to me.

The Roshi vs Frost episode was pretty cool though.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:23 am

JazzMazz wrote:There is nothing outstanding about 105, why would it be one of the best episodes in the series?

Its certainly not the worst episode ever(even though it is easily one of the weakest of the TOP), however, I fail to see anything really good or redeemable about the episode on rewatch.

Its poorly directed. Poorly storyboarded. Poorly animated with terribly flat art direction and I would say a really weak script that didn't really fully understand Roshi as a character.

Overall, its just an abysmal episode that got a lot of attention because it gave a secondary character some shine.
I agree, this episode is horrible. I particularly hate how they give Roshi this big epic speech about how he can't retire, when his original character arc was about retiring and passing things on! It just spits in the face of what was a well written, satisfactory character arc for Roshi - just for the sake of fanservice and pandering. What's more, it's a bad declaration to make, that retiring is a bad thing for Roshi, because it means that if they choose to retire him later than they'll run afoul of their own criticism. And then, two episodes later, he voluntarily retires from the tournament because he's hit his limit. So much for all that crap he spouted.

I see why on paper it sounds appealing, but it is so overwhelmingly trite and forsakes his original character arc just to make him look cool briefly.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:35 am

Well I really liked it, I would place it among the most touching episodes of Super but not among the best of the original series. Still, right in the kokoro they hit me, and really did not see that coming and it gave a little bit of drama in a saga with rules that made you think that dying would be something really rare. Moments of Goku showing emotions, a sense of loss and that he is not just a weirdo are really welcomed by me. The kind of filler I enjoy.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:42 am

Saiga wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:There is nothing outstanding about 105, why would it be one of the best episodes in the series?

Its certainly not the worst episode ever(even though it is easily one of the weakest of the TOP), however, I fail to see anything really good or redeemable about the episode on rewatch.

Its poorly directed. Poorly storyboarded. Poorly animated with terribly flat art direction and I would say a really weak script that didn't really fully understand Roshi as a character.

Overall, its just an abysmal episode that got a lot of attention because it gave a secondary character some shine.
I agree, this episode is horrible. I particularly hate how they give Roshi this big epic speech about how he can't retire, when his original character arc was about retiring and passing things on! It just spits in the face of what was a well written, satisfactory character arc for Roshi - just for the sake of fanservice and pandering. What's more, it's a bad declaration to make, that retiring is a bad thing for Roshi, because it means that if they choose to retire him later than they'll run afoul of their own criticism. And then, two episodes later, he voluntarily retires from the tournament because he's hit his limit. So much for all that crap he spouted.

I see why on paper it sounds appealing, but it is so overwhelmingly trite and forsakes his original character arc just to make him look cool briefly.
I completely agree with that sentiment.

Its also why I vastly prefer episode 107's take on Roshi, which I felt had a lot more respect for Roshi's original character arc, as well as the character arc established in the Pre-tounrnament, where Roshi prepared for his "final battle".

I think its also worth mentioning how poorly together the episode was on a whole, and how that certainly didn't help anything. The OST placement and implementation was really poorly done, meaning a lot of the big moments of the episode fell completely flat The use of colours and lighting were extremely ugly and cumbersome, combined with the poor background art, ruined any sense of atmosphere that they were trying to go for. The animation wise, it was and still is one of the worst episodes of the arc, and the storyboarding is unbelievably flat and lifeless.

I think flat and lifeless are definitely the most applicable terms in describing this episode.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Maybe not in the whole series, but definitely out of the episodes of the Tournament of Power.

There's real attention to detail regarding Roshi's approach that does a good job in selling why he's valuable as a team member. Though nowhere near the strongest person there, he shows technical expertise and an intimate knowledge of martial arts ability, helping to really finalize some of the unexpected turns in fighting in the arc and, in my opinion anyways, giving the show a sense of fighting beyond simple power level slug matches.

And the character moments that are built around Roshi are absolutely touching and demonstrate just how much these characters have grown and developed over the years we've known them; they're a family, and now Beerus is coming around to joining that family.

Emotions are some of if not THE most important and powerful motivating factors in Human existence, and to disavow their worth to the narrative and audience enjoyment is a genuine disservice to the Human condition.