Will you watch the next Dragonball series if the quality doesn't improve from Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Will you watch the next Dragonball series if the quality doesn't improve from Super?

Post by snpaa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Then I'll stop watching. I have no obligation watching everything Dragon Ball related just because I'm a fan of the franchise.
...Unless I'm remembering things wrong didn't you love super or at least the TOP?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will you watch the next Dragonball series if the quality doesn't improve from Super?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:41 am

snpaa wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Then I'll stop watching. I have no obligation watching everything Dragon Ball related just because I'm a fan of the franchise.
...Unless I'm remembering things wrong didn't you love super or at least the TOP?
I really like the Universal Survival arc, and that why I keep watching it. I don't know why that's so hard to fathom.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Short answer? No.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Bullza wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:You keep parroting this and unfortunately it's not true. Anyone who has taken an intro writing class can see just how bad the decline has been. How can you compare an obviously broken production that is plagued by a horrific schedule, inconsistent writing, and what looks like a lack of any coordination between the original author of the manga and Toei to a relatively much healthier production in Z? It's absurd and so is your comment.
Oh it's true alright, people just have their nostalgia goggles on when it comes to Z now.

Z was plagued by other things such as half of the show being filler, much of it being atrocious like the Fake Namek episodes, Bulma fighting the crab, Gohan befriending some orphans and what creates inconsistencies with later material.

If it isn't filler then it's padded out to no end, like Goku fighting Frieza for 20 episodes which just became plain boring, the constant staring, charging up attacks that take minutes on end, them standing around waiting for the dust to clear.

Characters got tossed aside, Launch was simply forgotten, Yamcha, Chiaotzu and Tien became worthless after the Saiyans saga, Master Roshi did nothing, Krillin and Piccolo became useless by the Buu saga.

The animation was not as good, it was better than Super at one point, it's more consistently drawn but the show rarely had the animation highs of Super.

Super is better paced. It's fights actually resemble fights rather the constant red light, green light for battles of Z. It has brought back many characters, the opposite of Z such as Pilaf, Frieza, Supreme Kai, Android 17 and Trunks. Other characters like Master Roshi, Piccolo, Krillin and Tien have been the most relevant in terms of battles for decades.
You're not reading what I'm saying. You are really arguing about the filler VS Super? How in your right mind can you compare these two productions. One had a healthy schedule that had source material to work from and where the author was at the helm. The other was an incredibly rushed, plagued with HORRIBLE production schedules where the animators are forced to cut major corners just to meet these deadlines, inconsistent writing, and an inconsistent art style. You're just biased, take off the glasses.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:You're not reading what I'm saying. You are really arguing about the filler VS Super? How in your right mind can you compare these two productions. One had a healthy schedule that had source material to work from and where the author was at the helm. The other was an incredibly rushed, plagued with HORRIBLE production schedules where the animators are forced to cut major corners just to meet these deadlines, inconsistent writing, and an inconsistent art style. You're just biased, take off the glasses.
Z's filler is no better or worse than Supers except for the the Pre-Android saga filler which was much worse. It also made up half the show unlike Super where it's more like 10%.

The schedule doesn't matter, the product that you see is what matters. Z also had animation that would change from episode to episode just the same. It also had plot holes because of the countless filler.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 am

As long as the series begining isn't a remake of the movie that is coming out later this year, I think that will be a good start.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 am

I've been watching Super all this time and would continue watching if I could. Therefore I don't see why I wouldn't watch a similar series.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 am

I stuck around for super until now so why not?
Now if the quality drops to GT then that's a completely different story
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:47 am

Yes.

10char

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:55 am

Considering I’ve enjoyed Super for what it is, I would definitely watch the next series if it’s the same quality. If it improves, even better.

Super’s production from an animation/storyboarding aspect has reached acceptable levels for a long-running show. The Universe Survival arc has had some of the most consistant animation and art in all of DB in my opinion. Rarely does it actually look bad now. And boy, does it have some high highs. I’m confident the next show, if it happens, will have the same consistency as the current arc with less craziness happening behind the scenes.

From a writing/storytelling stand point, it could definitely improve. I’ve always said Super’s worst aspect was its terrible production schedule, but now that Toei has pretty much fixed that, the main problem now is the storytelling. The stories themselves are fine, and they have some great moments throughout, but everything is inconsistent and sometimes just sloppy. The BoG arc has strange omissions (not explaining Pilaf gang) and weird pacing at parts (Oolong, transformation), the RoF arc has terrible writing during the middle section with Ginyu/Tagoma/Gohan, the U6 arc is really simple (maybe to a fault) with nothing really interesting happening until the very end, the FT arc starts off great but collapses during the end because of rushed pacing and weird decisions (Trunks living with another Trunks), and the ToP feels a little episodic at times with the pacing being super slow (20 episodes of recruitment and 35 for a tournament? Holy shit).
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:58 am

I will, but I will be quite disappointed if the quality doesn't improve in the next show. First thing they should do is hire a better character designer, but we also need a better schedule, as the bad schedule was Super's downfall. By planning a new serie better, the improved production would also benefit the show's overall writing and direction.
Better colors like in the 2008 special would also be great, as despite being modern, the Yo! special looked a lot like DBZ while having the freshness and quality one would expect out of a modern Dragon Ball show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:01 am

Ki Breaker wrote:I stuck around for super until now so why not?
Didn't GT have more consistent animation and writing? Super had higher highs which included a few fights like the Vegito one and the special but for the most part was subpar to average

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:50 am

Timetraveller wrote:
SSJ YUSUKE wrote:I consider Super to be superior in writing and story to both the Buu and Cell arcs yet I still like those two. It gave us two of the best villans the series has seen in Zamasu and Black and and has utilised the cast far better than Z ever did. It has introduced strong female characters and gave us an ending to an arc, which while not happy was appropriate.
Supers world building has added so much to the Dragonball Universe and if anything I think I am more excited for any new series that will come out as there is so much to build on.
You think the writing of Super is better than the Buu and Cell arcs? You can't be serious. Maybe the filler episodes but then there was the Poteufu arc which was just bad

Arc 1) Weak plot. Beerus comes out of nowhere and fights Goku. Goku gets a red form

Arc 2) Freeza wants revenge on Goku. Gets a gold form

Arc 3) Tournmanent with no plot. A bunch of gag fights

Arc 4) Comparable to a Z arc. Lots of build up towards the final villain. Let down by the bad writing at the end.

Arc 5) Another tournament. Main antagonist stands on a rock with his arms folded for most of the tournament. 30 episodes of straight up fighting with mostly gag fighters. U6 saiyans transform because back tingles and one is a Broly rip off. Master Roshi who had a power level of 185 overpowers the strongest fighters of other universes and blatantly breaks rules. Zeno lets it slide just because

This is so damn wrong on so many levels that i almost ruined my new keyboard with soda.

Do you even know what the terms "out of nowhere" and "gag fight" mean?

And to the topic:

Its Dragon Ball. Nuff said

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:
SSJ YUSUKE wrote:I consider Super to be superior in writing and story to both the Buu and Cell arcs yet I still like those two. It gave us two of the best villans the series has seen in Zamasu and Black and and has utilised the cast far better than Z ever did. It has introduced strong female characters and gave us an ending to an arc, which while not happy was appropriate.
Supers world building has added so much to the Dragonball Universe and if anything I think I am more excited for any new series that will come out as there is so much to build on.
You think the writing of Super is better than the Buu and Cell arcs? You can't be serious. Maybe the filler episodes but then there was the Poteufu arc which was just bad

Arc 1) Weak plot. Beerus comes out of nowhere and fights Goku. Goku gets a red form

Arc 4) Comparable to a Z arc. Lots of build up towards the final villain. Let down by the bad writing at the end.

Arc 5) Another tournament. Main antagonist stands on a rock with his arms folded for most of the tournament. 30 episodes of straight up fighting with mostly gag fighters. U6 saiyans transform because back tingles and one is a Broly rip off. Master Roshi who had a power level of 185 overpowers the strongest fighters of other universes and blatantly breaks rules. Zeno lets it slide just because

This is so damn wrong on so many levels that i almost ruined my new keyboard with soda.

Yes. Do you?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:17 am

If Toriyama's still involved, I'll watch with tepid curiosity.

126 was really my breaking point with Super, though, and I think were the series continuing on I might actually have stopped following it weekly after this arc, so I'm not a guarantee.

No Toriyama is an automatic no.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am

Timetraveller wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:

Yes. Do you?

The Fact that you cant tell the difference between Beerus coming "out of nowhere" and Cell and heck BUU coming out of nowhere is enough to make me not argue with a brick wall.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

No I won't watch it, because I've already seen it.

How!? I hear you ask. Do I have a time machine? No.

Dragonball is and has always been the same story over and over, the same rigid adherence to formula. Therefore anything new and unpredictable is surface level only. On a deeper level, and certainly at it's core, We've all seen it before. I'm not going to keep coming back to the same thing over and over again for the same reason I stopped watching the Pokemon anime sometime during the Johto league.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:17 pm

I'll watch more Dragonball. I'm holding off any major criticism on Super till after it ends, but I really would like to see some better writing and actually take things at a more relaxed pace

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Timetraveller wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:I stuck around for super until now so why not?
Didn't GT have more consistent animation and writing? Super had higher highs which included a few fights like the Vegito one and the special but for the most part was subpar to average
GT had other problems like a blatant disregard for continuity and villains with illogically high powers compared to what they were. And bad, forced humor in the early seasons. Super, as bad as it could be, always at least felt natural and effortless.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:As others have said, it's Dragon Ball so I've basically gotta watch it. Doesn't mean I won't complain though.

Basically, exactly what I do with Super. If the new series is the same shit then I'll react in the same way.
This...however...

if the new series stars the same characters and creates even more silly unnecessary over development for the same cast of characters with out moving onto new generations then i think i may just not watch it. But i feel like i may stick around the forums and watch youtube vids to fill me in...
TBMx wrote:No I won't watch it, because I've already seen it.

How!? I hear you ask. Do I have a time machine? No.

Dragonball is and has always been the same story over and over, the same rigid adherence to formula. Therefore anything new and unpredictable is surface level only. On a deeper level, and certainly at it's core, We've all seen it before. I'm not going to keep coming back to the same thing over and over again for the same reason I stopped watching the Pokemon anime sometime during the Johto league.
This is a good point... i love DB and DBZ and...um like GT. However what your saying is true and i feel as we are now older we expect more from the show, something that is much more then surface level. But i also feel that is also an issue as many people and Toei think that this is how DB should be.