Were Goku and Vegeta's new outfits a mistake?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Were Goku and Vegeta's new outfits a mistake?

Post by Asura » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Some fans love them and some fans hate them, they stuck around for two arcs (RoF and U6) but then mysteriously disappeared right after. I wonder the reasoning behind this, is it because they were not well received? It seemed like they were trying to take Dragon Ball into a new future with different outfits to distinguish them from the old, but they've gone right back to the old anyway.

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Were Goku and Vegeta's new outfits a mistake?

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:33 pm

Asura wrote:Some fans love them and some fans hate them, they stuck around for two arcs (RoF and U6) but then mysteriously disappeared right after. I wonder the reasoning behind this, is it because they were not well received? It seemed like they were trying to take Dragon Ball into a new future with different outfits to distinguish them from the old, but they've gone right back to the old anyway.
I actually really liked them and wished they had stuck around for the remainder of the series.

They were likely changed back due to marketing reasons though. I can't imagine they were that negatively received so it's odd to me though.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:44 pm

I liked them a lot, especially Goku's. I always disliked the boots and "shirt under the gi" concept. I liked that the new one was a throwback to the old Kid Goku and Kid Krillin gi's from DragonBall, as well as the return of the flapping belt. The "modern" boots I had no problem with.

As for Vegeta, with Bulma being an inventor and all, it felt natural to have her create new armor for her husband and the new color scheme was visually appealing because the grey contrasted well with SSJBlue by not being as bright as his old one. With the new Super Blue transformation he got in the ToP and the old school blue suit, there's too much blue going on that it's visually saturating.

Also, Toyotaro made them look really cool.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 pm

I love the new outfits and I miss them a lot. I still use them when I draw fanart though, so they're really only gone for me in official capacity. I was originally going to and did switch back for the early Gokû Black arc just like they did in the show, but then I almost died and when I came back I was like to hell with it I like the F outfits better then that's what I'll draw them in.

I really enjoy how modern they look. Gokû's is fun and flowy (and I dig that the sash ties on the side), Vegeta's looks sleek and I'm just a fan of that dark grey color with hints of yellow.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 pm

I liked Vegeta's but I think adult Goku looks terrible in a pure orange top with no blue to break it up.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:06 pm

I wonder if I'm the only one who dislikes the new outfits. I think an undershirt always looks better on Goku, I don't like how big the bracers are, and man those boots... I just feel like they don't go with the outfit at all. While the color scheme for Vegeta's is decent, I really don't like how it abruptly ends below his hips. I also heavily dislike Whis' symbol, it looks like it belongs in Naruto

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm

I liked them as well and think the reason they dropped them was because they wanted them in something more recognizable.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:02 pm

It was a mistake to get rid of them. Like them or not, they gave Super its own identity and helped it separate itself from the previous series. Going back to the old outfits again just drives the point further that the series relies way too much on Z's success. Especially after a transition from the U6 arc to the Black arc. Though I think the latter is better, it relies a lot on Z (and the ToP is even worse), whilst the Champa arc is mostly new material through and through. It's an especially jarring and bizarre change considering everyone else keeps their updated designs.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Probably yes. Both characters sported new outfits as the series progressed, and both abruptly abandoning their new outfits from F in favor of the old ones was unexplained and uncreative.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 pm

I had actually thought about this recently, and I came to this conclusion:

Gokū received his new dōgi from Whis, and Vegeta received his new armor from Bulma so as to look presentable for his training on Beerus' planet. Both were received because they'd be training under Whis. They were worn during the Revival of F and Tournament of Destroyers stories, after which their original attires were reused. As we know, in both the anime and the movie/manga continuities of Super, their training under Whis began after Battle of Gods and before Revival of F; however, think about when their training under Whis ended. I don't exactly remember if this is true of the anime, but, in the manga, Gokū and Vegeta no longer train on Beerus' planet after the Tournament of Destroyers; at the beginning of the Zero Mortals Plan story arc, we see them sparring on Earth, right next to Capsule Corporation, while Beerus and Whis watch from reclined chairs. I believe that Gokū and Vegeta were no longer Whis' students at this point, as he'd already taught them the basics, so, from there, all there was left for them to do was to master fighting without thinking about what needed to be done, which we'll see one or both of them achieve via Ultra Instinct during the Tournament of Power.

That's just what I believe.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 am

Never cared about them. I do think Vegeta looks better in his RoF outfit than his Cell armor one. Goku should just go to his EoZ outfit and stay in that.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 am

I do miss them. I felt it gave Super that unique feel, like these are outfits that they couldve plausibly worn during the time skip before Goku gets his EoZ gi

On a side note, I also like what Toyotaro has done in the manga giving Gohan his purple gi. Feel it fitting as he's gone back to training with Piccolo

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 am

Vegeta should have used his Buu Saga outfit at least for one arc, that was my favorite. I wonder what's the deal with Cell arc outfit becoming his main one in most post Buu media.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 am

Xeogran wrote:Vegeta should have used his Buu Saga outfit at least for one arc, that was my favorite. I wonder what's the deal with Cell arc outfit becoming his main one in most post Buu media.
The only reason he didn't wear his saiyan armor in the Buu saga, was because wearing protective gear was against the rules of the tournament. He never really 'stopped' wearing it (not until the very end of Z)

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 am

Xeogran wrote:Vegeta should have used his Buu Saga outfit at least for one arc, that was my favorite. I wonder what's the deal with Cell arc outfit becoming his main one in most post Buu media.
It's the most recognizable for marketing purposes.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 am

mute_proxy wrote:The only reason he didn't wear his saiyan armor in the Buu saga, was because wearing protective gear was against the rules of the tournament. He never really 'stopped' wearing it (not until the very end of Z)
That's a really good point. For years, it had bothered me that Vegeta ditched his armor in the Boo Arc and then went back to his Artificial Humans Arc attire in the 2008 special onward without explanation; your explanation just ended nearly a decade of displeasure. Thank you.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:32 am

They also should have kept Krillin's Taco shirt during the tournament.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 am

No, not at all. I really liked those outfits and I wish they would have kept them. I especially like Vegeta's outfit, I think it looks very cool on him. I was always bothered by the fact that besides the androids none of the other characters got new outfits for the universal survival arc.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 am

In-verse I always just imagined it was 'cuz they didn't have an abundance of that gi like their regular one's, and so after the U6 tournament they switched back as the gi's were worn out and didn't want to hassle Whis/Bulma for more hence why they stuck with them.

Out-verse makes sense for the U.S arc given blue shirt/shirtless Goku and Vegeta's shirt changing colour in his new form and the Trunks arc for Vegetto (given it wasn't Toriyama's idea they probably couldn't come up with a good combo with RF gi).

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 am

I didn't like the change much. Reminded me of when Pokemon started a new season and switched up Ash's iconic outfit for a new ugly one with weird shoes.

Vegeta's was alright.