Were Goku and Vegeta's new outfits a mistake?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Were Goku and Vegeta's new outfits a mistake?

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 am

New outfits for a new era. On top of that the designs were awesome.
The only mistake was discontinuing them, so someone gotta ask Toyotaro about what happened, if he's ever at an event in the west again.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm

I enjoyed the Goku and Vegeta's change in attire, but I have to admit, Goku's original blue and orange gi was just too good to give up. I wouldn't have minded Vegeta keeping his ROF outfit... especially since Bulma made it for him. :(

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I enjoyed the Goku and Vegeta's change in attire, but I have to admit, Goku's original blue and orange gi was just too good to give up. I wouldn't have minded Vegeta keeping his ROF outfit... especially since Bulma made it for him. :(
I mean she did aslo make the first one for him too.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Are you referring to the Whis outfit? It looks alright. It'll never be as good as the original 1989 one.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:28 pm

I really like those outfit it looks nice,I especially like Vegeta's outfit.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Vegeta's new costume was better than his original one.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm

AloversGaming wrote:I didn't like the change much. Reminded me of when Pokemon started a new season and switched up Ash's iconic outfit for a new ugly one with weird shoes. .
Which one? Ash's outfit changed 6 different times. The Hoenn outfit was a huge improvement over his original which felt dated and boring by the end of Johto.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I enjoyed the Goku and Vegeta's change in attire, but I have to admit, Goku's original blue and orange gi was just too good to give up. I wouldn't have minded Vegeta keeping his ROF outfit... especially since Bulma made it for him. :(
I just wanted to see Goku's EOZ gi teased a little during the show but I'm fine with it not happening.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:42 am

I loved the new outfits for Goku and Vegeta! It made DBS feel like it's own thing from a visual perspective. So I wasn't happy when they went back to the old clothes.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm certain most people agree that changing back to the old outfits was the mistake. Besides, the old ones look terrible with the blue hair, and Vegeta's was actually supposed to be stronger armor, making him swapping back make no sense even in-universe.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:It was a mistake to get rid of them. Like them or not, they gave Super its own identity and helped it separate itself from the previous series. Going back to the old outfits again just drives the point further that the series relies way too much on Z's success. Especially after a transition from the U6 arc to the Black arc. Though I think the latter is better, it relies a lot on Z (and the ToP is even worse), whilst the Champa arc is mostly new material through and through. It's an especially jarring and bizarre change considering everyone else keeps their updated designs.
Actually Goku's current outfit is new. It's the "Go" dogi with a solid belt. Son has never wore this variant of his suit before. The last outfit was Kanji-less and the one before that was the "Go" dogi with a tie around belt. So what he is wearing now is indeed a new outfit. Vegeta's is the usual.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm

GTx10 wrote:Actually Goku's current outfit is new. It's the "Go" dogi with a solid belt. Son has never wore this variant of his suit before. The last outfit was Kanji-less and the one before that was the "Go" dogi with a tie around belt. So what he is wearing now is indeed a new outfit. Vegeta's is the usual.
What's interesting to me is that, other than chapters one through four (because they're based on Battle of Gods), this is exclusive to the anime. From chapter fourteen onward, he once again wears his dōgi from the Cell and Boo arcs.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 pm

I love them and I definitely do miss them, but then I think about Goku using Ultra Instinct in the gi that Whis gave him and it doesn’t look as cool. Vegeta’s Resurrection ‘F’ clothes should’ve stayed. Super Saiyan Blue just looks so much better when he’s wearing those clothes.

Greator

Post by Greator » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:56 pm

They were both horrible looking and I'm glad they got rid of them for good.

oozaru goku

Post by oozaru goku » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 pm

I hate super but the new gi is one of a few things that I like. Also they're gonna change their suit anyway in the eoz so I'd like to see them changing little by little and ended up like in eoz. Now they're changing back though so it won't happen, it will be like they suddenly change during the 3 year timeskip(if the story continues after eoz) and it sounds a little strange for me

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:51 pm

I really do miss those outfits, I loved them ever since I first saw them in the first promotional materials for Resurrection F, and It was very disappointing to see them go away, in favor of the old outfits. Now, returning to the old outfits would've been fine, had it only been for the Future Trunks Arc. Why? Because of how nostalgia heavy that arc was. Future Trunks (obviously), the Mafuba, Vegetto, etc. And also, speaking of Vegetto, it could be why he wore his Buu arc clothes, and no an armor chest piece, or even the Go symbol. So you think that after that, in the next arc, they'd return to the Whis Symbol Outfits, maybe they don't skip past the End of Z, before the Omniversal Tournament (or now the Tournament of Power), and they go back to the Whis outfits. But nope, the Universe Survival Arc gets announced, we see the poster, and they're still wearing the old outfits. *sigghhh*
Such a bummer.

Black Hawk wrote:What's interesting to me is that, other than chapters one through four (because they're based on Battle of Gods), this is exclusive to the anime. From chapter fourteen onward, he once again wears his dōgi from the Cell and Boo arcs.
Glad I'm not the only person who notices that.
Caulifla best girl! :)

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

I liked them, they gave the series a unique style. While I can understand they weren't used in the Goku Black arc, I feel like they could have returned in ToP arc. Oh well, it at least gives RoF and U6 arc their own style.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am

I thought they were great. They also seemed to have been designed for use with Super Saiyan Blue, which their previous outfits clash with.

It's too bad. It really does feel like they shifted back due to iconography for marketing purposes, and that's kind of a crappy thing to have hanging over the series.

And yeah, others have said above, "New era, new designs." Dragon Ball has always represented its progressing chronology through changing outfits and designs, and it's a shame to see that abandoned only in the last half of Super.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Cipher wrote:I thought they were great. They also seemed to have been designed for use with Super Saiyan Blue, which their previous outfits clash with.
This is precisely the reason I miss them. SSB looks better when they are in this outfit... especially in Vegeta's case.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 am

I didn't like them, especially Goku's. The orange and blue to me is just so iconic. I didn't mind Vegeta's as much, but I still prefer his old Cell saga armor.