As Freeza remains in the shadows, my theory on Super's "unexpected" ending

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

As Freeza remains in the shadows, my theory on Super's "unexpected" ending

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 am

A lot of people seem to be convinced that either Jiren will destroy Goku, or that Goku and Jiren will eliminate each other leaving Freeza as the winner.

We know how Toriyama loves to play with expectations

I'm thinking, what if the ending leads down one of those roads but uses it to set up a different outcome

We know that something awful is going to happen that drives Goku into his perfected UI transformation. We know its going to come down to that legendary Goku vs Jiren rematch we have all been waiting for.

People think either Goku and Jiren will be dead even or Jiren will still have the upper hand. What if UI perfect Goku just absolutely wrecks Jiren in spectactular epic fashion.

Frieza finally reveals himself after Goku wrecks Jiren

They could play it up like its going to be the ending everyone expected (Frieza waiting until the last man is left standing, to come in get the ring out, and the wish)

But what if they took you down that road and then Goku still eliminates Frieza

Its a Goku win with unexpected set ups, making the Goku win seem much more "unpredictable"....Though at the end of the day its all about execution no matter how predictable. Everything has been done before. Its all always about execution

And what better way to finally wrap up the Goku vs Frieza fued then to have Goku still stop Frieza's "grand master plan" in its tracks lol.....Would be awesome and hilarious like nope, goodbye Frieza !

Or maybe they go the other direction with it.

That they want Frieza to maybe grow some attatchment to Goku and have some kind of reedeming moment. Think something like Vegeta's role against Cell helping Gohan beat Cell.

Something to where the time is running down, and even though UI perfected Goku is out classing Jiren, Goku knows he cant wear Jiren out and ring Jiren out in the short amount of time left...

So Goku puts everything he has into one last attack - a UI perfect Kamehameha....

Jiren is using all his power to fight it back, but it still has Jiren on the ropes...

But imagine if all the sudden, Frieza finally comes out of the shadows during Goku and Jiren's epic beam struggle...as some sinister epic music is playing you think Frieza is going to betray Goku and universe 7, Frieza puts everything he has into an attack that looks like its going to target Goku, but it actually targets Jiren....

And for that one split second of oppurtunity Goku uses the distraction to blast through Jiren and ring Jiren out.

That would be a great ending too. The life long enemies coming together to avoid extinction

They could even do some cool character moments after a Goku win like that, between Goku and Frieza...

Frieza refusing to admit he helped. Saying that his attack was actually meant for Goku...but then at the end when no one is looking Frieza finally admitting to Goku that he doesnt know what Goku has done to him, that hes actually kind of grown fond of Goku but that, you know "but i still hate sayians"

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: As Frieza remains in the shadows. My theory on Supers "unexpected" ending

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:51 am

No,please I would hate any attempt to turn freeza good.The guy is largely considered the best villain of dragon ball or at least dbz for decades.We already have enemies changing into allies.Let's just keep enemies as enemies.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:17 am

I don't expect to see Super end on a cliffhanger but I still think Freeza will get the wish. Let's see what happens, as long as Freeza doesn't turn good in a few episodes it will be fine. I want him to stay around and see him rule over the Zenos. He would make a great final villain for all of Dragon Ball in my opinion, considering he is Dragon Ball's most famous villain and one of the most famous villains in anime.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: As Freeza remains in the shadows, my theory on Super's "unexpected" ending

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:01 pm

If Freeza turns good, I'm done with any future Dragon Ball projects sans the upcoming movie.... even if it's like Vegeta during the Cell Saga
(where's he's still bad, but permanently staying on the good side).

I know that sounds a bit extreme but I'm not especially fond of how much they were overusng him in the first place. He was my favorite villain.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Goresh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Goresh » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:00 pm

GamerSkull wrote:If Freeza turns good, I'm done with any future Dragon Ball projects sans the upcoming movie.... even if it's like Vegeta during the Cell Saga
(where's he's still bad, but permanently staying on the good side).

I know that sounds a bit extreme but I'm not especially fond of how much they were overusng him in the first place. He was my favorite villain.
I completely agree with everything you said. Frieza becoming good would pretty much ruin the entire franchise for me and is a horrendous idea.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:56 pm

emperior wrote:I don't expect to see Super end on a cliffhanger
Toei could end it on a cliffhanger and then "Watch how it unwraps on the upcoming Dragon Ball Z movie!!" but I don't think they'll go down that route. Super isn't as popular as DBZ or as big so they'd risk alienating customers who never bothered to watch or finish the show. Good on Toei for pulling the plug on this show and hopefully they'll do a much better job next time for the next (if there will be) Dragon Ball series.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 am

Frieza helping Goku defeat Jiren, in the same way Vegeta helped Gohan beat Cell, wouldn't make Frieza good

I mean by this logic, Frieza has already turned good by fighting in this very tournament.

It's simply to survive and avoid instinction

I personally find the idea of Frieza getting the wish or ruling over Zeno worse and much less satisfying

In that event, I hope Goku still eliminates Frieza and stops Frieza's "grand master plan" dead in its tracks

What better way to wrap up the fued between Goku and Frieza and send Frieza packing
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:41 am

The idea of Freeza turning good has been resoundingly denied by virtually all of the fandom. However, you don't really hear all too much about the possibility of his sociopathic megalomania being tempered enough to maybe brighten his moral colouring a few shades up into the "neutral" column. Would anyone have issues with a hypothetical neutral Freeza that's amoral and self-interested but not quite so unprovocatively torturous towards perfect strangers while having a clear focused goal? Maybe that sounds too uncharacteristic of Freeza still. What do you guys think?

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 am

Lionel wrote:The idea of Freeza turning good has been resoundingly denied by virtually all of the fandom. However, you don't really hear all too much about the possibility of his sociopathic megalomania being tempered enough to maybe brighten his moral colouring a few shades up into the "neutral" column. Would anyone have issues with a hypothetical neutral Freeza that's amoral and self-interested but not quite so unprovocatively torturous towards perfect strangers while having a clear focused goal? Maybe that sounds too uncharacteristic of Freeza still. What do you guys think?
Exactly. No where in my post did I mention anything about Frieza turning good. I talked about it as a circumstance of opportunity. I mean by their same logic, Frieza has already "turned good" by fighting in this very tournament.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:05 am

I dont think anyone thinks Freeza is going to turn good--it's turning him into an anti-hero that I take issue it. And despite how....shitty the writing in Super can be, I don't think any of the writers are that stupid to make Freeza just another of Goku's rival. Freeza is evil full stop. Either Goku takes care of him after the end of the tournament, or he becomes the next big bad in the next series of Dragon Ball.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 am

kemuri07 wrote:I dont think anyone thinks Freeza is going to turn good--it's turning him into an anti-hero that I take issue it. And despite how....shitty the writing in Super can be, I don't think any of the writers are that stupid to make Freeza just another of Goku's rival. Freeza is evil full stop. Either Goku takes care of him after the end of the tournament, or he becomes the next big bad in the next series of Dragon Ball.
Naw, there are always shades of grey. By this same logic Freeza has already turned into a good guy by choosing to fight in this tournament

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:42 am

Regardless of what they do, the last thing I want is Freeza turning good or even antihero. There are other ways to keep him around without completely changing who he is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:32 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:I dont think anyone thinks Freeza is going to turn good--it's turning him into an anti-hero that I take issue it. And despite how....shitty the writing in Super can be, I don't think any of the writers are that stupid to make Freeza just another of Goku's rival. Freeza is evil full stop. Either Goku takes care of him after the end of the tournament, or he becomes the next big bad in the next series of Dragon Ball.
Naw, there are always shades of grey. By this same logic Freeza has already turned into a good guy by choosing to fight in this tournament
Shades of--motherfucker has commited multiple cases of planetary genocide, not to mention is the sole reason why there are only two full-blood saiyans in universe 7. There's nothing ambiguous about that because Z very much portrays him as a monster. Making him an anti-hero would be the most tone deaf thing Super ever did. That's bad fucking writing.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 am

kemuri07 wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Shades of--motherfucker has commited multiple cases of planetary genocide, not to mention is the sole reason why there are only two full-blood saiyans in universe 7. There's nothing ambiguous about that because Z very much portrays him as a monster. Making him an anti-hero would be the most tone deaf thing Super ever did. That's bad fucking writing.
How much genocide did Vegeta commit too?

But regardless, what I descibed wouldnt make Frieza an "anti-hero" imo

If you want to get technical, isnt Frieza already an anti-hero for even choosing to fight in this tournament. Hasnt that ship already sailed.

Also, I feel this is important to note. Frieza IS apart of universe 7. If U7 losses that means Frieza gets erased too...

so why wouldnt Frieza logically go after Jiren in scenario B from the OP?

Thats ALREADY in line with Frieza's charcater during this arc

-Frieza GIVING Goku energy so tha Goku could go defeat Jiren.

-Frieza saving Goku from getting eliminated by aniraza.

Frieza's charcater is perfectly in line with scenario B detailed in the OP imo.

I just dont get how "that" would make Frieza a hero or anti hero. Then Frieza already is an anti hero for giving Goku energy and saving Goku from being eliminated etc.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:

How much genocide did Vegeta commit too?
Jesus, people are still salty about that ?! You can't possibly compare the shit Frieza has done to what Vegeta did. There's no way Frieza will ever redeem himself even if he tried. He's just pure evil. Vegeta killed a lot of people because he didn't know any better, he was raised to be a killing machine.
Get Fucked, C_unt

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:59 pm

I feel like after the last few weeks Frieza has kind of become a meme. Like he has just gotten wrecked and been shown to be so weak compared to other fighters and has just been tossed around.

I'm interested to see where it all leads to but I gotta say this was not was I was expecting. Especially with all the hype episode 95 gave us

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Freeza is a decent guy, he is just misunderstood, given the chance and a room at capsule corporation he will be running around with kids and planting flowers before you know it!

Freeza winning the tournament because Omni kings see his struggle against Jiren and show respect to his good heart is definitely a 101% possibility
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Freeza is a decent guy, he is just misunderstood, given the chance and a room at capsule corporation he will be running around with kids and planting flowers before you know it!
"Now see children? This is how you bisect a stupid minion that doesn't cook your food to the exact temperature you tell them too."

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:04 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I feel like after the last few weeks Frieza has kind of become a meme. Like he has just gotten wrecked and been shown to be so weak compared to other fighters and has just been tossed around.
It wouldn't have been so hilarious if he managed to do something against Dyspo. I mean, he got his ass kicked by all 3 remaining Pride Troopers, and he would have been eliminated if it wasn't for Gohan and 17. Maybe all of this will pay off since we saw an incredibly angry Frieza ready to kill. Who knows what will happen, maybe he'll go completely crazy bu the end lol
Get Fucked, C_unt

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm expecting a 1992 Royal Rumble outcome: Freeza eliminates the two powerhouses (Goku and Jiren) and wins the whole thing.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif