Is Dragon Ball Super going to retcon the end of Z?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball Super going to retcon the end of Z?

Post by Cetra » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm

They will never move further than GT did simply because GT is their product. It is even debatable if there will be another series in the first place. I would not have anything against a proper GT remake though. With Super and all kinds of stuff included.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Akyon wrote:Am I the only one who would prefer it, if it did retcon the End of Z?

Or at least redo it. Toriyama(if I recall) wasn't happy he made his cast look so damn old in EoZ, and since pretty much everyone is still looking relatively in their prime in Super(Roshi aside) that means everyone is going to age horrifically in the next four years.

By all means keep the thing with Uub, but with Super ending with the ToP, Super just feels...incomplete. Literally every other Super arc feels like a more natural place to end things than this other than maybe the Champa tournament, although even then the ToP could easily have been post EoZ with Uub and Pan competing. With the ToP setting up a multiverse, everything with Zeno and the Grand Priest, Frieza...just feels like there's too much to suddenly end it and then skip to EoZ.

EoZ has honestly felt like a restraining noose around Super's freedom as they desperately try to cram as much in to these few years without contradicting too much.
You're not.

However, the decision has already been made. The original ending remains the series' ending.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 pm

GT is part of the canon, so long as Sheuisha, Toriyama, or Toei don't confirm otherwise. Mind you, it doesn't have to exist in the same dimension as Super's timeline, but that's what they can come up with: dimensions--also making the movies canon along the way.

Nobody would imagine Zelda games are connected with each other, but lo and behold, Nintendo eventually connected each and every game with one another...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 am

Akyon wrote:Am I the only one who would prefer it, if it did retcon the End of Z?

Or at least redo it. Toriyama(if I recall) wasn't happy he made his cast look so damn old in EoZ, and since pretty much everyone is still looking relatively in their prime in Super(Roshi aside) that means everyone is going to age horrifically in the next four years.

By all means keep the thing with Uub, but with Super ending with the ToP, Super just feels...incomplete. Literally every other Super arc feels like a more natural place to end things than this other than maybe the Champa tournament, although even then the ToP could easily have been post EoZ with Uub and Pan competing. With the ToP setting up a multiverse, everything with Zeno and the Grand Priest, Frieza...just feels like there's too much to suddenly end it and then skip to EoZ.

EoZ has honestly felt like a restraining noose around Super's freedom as they desperately try to cram as much in to these few years without contradicting too much.
I 100% agree with you. Very sad that they decided to keep it intact.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 am

I hope Super does retcon EoZ and goes a completely different direction just so I can say the manga and DBZ follow a different continuity.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 am

In all honesty, not only do I have a hard time believing Super would ever retcon/disregard/change the manga's ending, I also have a hard time seeing the Dragon Ball story continuing past the manga's ending (minus far-future jumps like Dragon Ball Online) due to GT. Continuity, 'canon', "gee tea sux", and all of that stuff that doesn't belong in this thread aside, I can't see Toei disregarding or retconning their own product that takes place so soon after the original series, especially since it's still prevalent enough to be included in games developed and released twenty years after it was cancelled.

I'm curious about where Dragon Ball could go from either aside from spin-offs, what-ifs, and side stories that might come out of the Dragon Ball Room.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

I don't really see the point. The ending of the manga works just fine, there's not a real reason to majorly tinker with it.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I don't really see the point. The ending of the manga works just fine, there's not a real reason to majorly tinker with it.
Yes, it makes complete and total sense for a guy who can literally teleport to say farewell to his family and tell them he's leaving and they may or may not ever see him again. At the end of Z Goku says he's gonna live in Uub's village, but at the beginning of GT it seems like they've pretty much been training at the lookout all the time. I never liked the ending because he's leaving his family -again-. How hard is it to pop in every day for dinner?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 am

Like i mentioned before, there is no problem for Super and GT to be somehow canon, if you look at Saint Seiya, there already several parallel canons, Heaven Chapter also was supposed to be continuation of story, but project was canceled, and other stories retcon what happened there http://saintseiya.wikia.com/wiki/Saint_ ... _Non_Canon
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:GT is part of the canon, so long as Sheuisha, Toriyama, or Toei don't confirm otherwise. Mind you, it doesn't have to exist in the same dimension as Super's timeline, but that's what they can come up with: dimensions--also making the movies canon along the way.

Nobody would imagine Zelda games are connected with each other, but lo and behold, Nintendo eventually connected each and every game with one another...
You do realize this would be absolutely horrible for our suspension of disbelief, now don't you?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am

shadowmaria wrote:Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 are video game developer's own interpretation of the timelines,
You seem to be very sure about that claim, so I assume you have ways to prove it right? I would ask for a source that comfirms it, if you do not mind.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 am

The question isn't "is the original ending gonna be retconned?", because we already know it isn't.

The question is "should it be retconned?"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

Bridgeman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I don't really see the point. The ending of the manga works just fine, there's not a real reason to majorly tinker with it.
Yes, it makes complete and total sense for a guy who can literally teleport to say farewell to his family and tell them he's leaving and they may or may not ever see him again. At the end of Z Goku says he's gonna live in Uub's village, but at the beginning of GT it seems like they've pretty much been training at the lookout all the time. I never liked the ending because he's leaving his family -again-. How hard is it to pop in every day for dinner?
That's just Goku being blunt and somewhat insensitive. A characteristic he's had since day one. Some people find that specific trait endearing for his character, while others resent it for the unfortunate implications it brings.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 am

Cetra wrote:They will never move further than GT did simply because GT is their product. It is even debatable if there will be another series in the first place. I would not have anything against a proper GT remake though. With Super and all kinds of stuff included.
Thrawn Trilogy and everything else post-Return of the Jedi was Lucasfilm product too, responsible for the revival of Star Wars in the early 90s at that. But with so much money to be made with newer sequels, it obviously didn't matter and they decided to throw it into the trashcan. GT is not particularly beloved (outside SSJ4 design) so if Toei/Toriyama/Shueisha decide there's more money to be made with a new post-EOZ series, I doubt they will shed a tear about GT.