Android 17: One of the best things to come out of DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Android 17: One of the best things to come out of DBS

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Let's take a moment to appreciate Toei's reintroduction of Android 17. Look, I've ALWAYS wanted him to make a comeback in the series as far back as GT - and I was always dissatisfied with the way he was portrayed there as a villain, instead of an ally (despite actually enjoying some of GT for what it is). At the end of Z, he was an anti-hero type who was more on the side of good - which is why it always baffled me that GT messed that up. However, I understand Toei wanted to make a big deal out of Goku and 17 meeting each other for the first time by having them duke it out in their strongest forms (SSJ4 Goku vs. Super 17). But they missed the mark there.

Then, comes Super's portrayal of 17. I'm going to be honest: Super's fallen short in a lot of ways, similar to GT (despite doing many things better). However, in my opinion - Super's Android 17 is easily the best thing to come out of the series, if not the best thing. They've made him a key part in U7's victories and have even given him a cool new power set that makes him unique amongst the main characters - with the Android Barrier technique, and they've utilized it in creative and extremely useful ways to the point where it even saved Goku and Vegeta. And just like the Mafuba, they brought back a classic technique in a BIG way. Not sure if anyone would believe me, but I always felt the Android Barrier was always cool and could've been used in a live-action movie to show how unique the androids were. Looks like Super took care of that for me, and has now set the groundwork for a possible live-action movie to utilize that.

It's funny. I'm sure if I mentioned on here a few years ago that I'd like to see 17 make a comeback, I'd get a lot of "The story doesn't always go the way you want. Toriyama forgets characters. Get over it" or "Sometimes, characters are retired. Stop crying about it" replies. That's just how the internet replies to opinions. And then last night, all kinds of reaction videos and posts were crying about 17's fate - proving he's left a mark as a classic DB character similar to Piccolo and Vegeta. Oh, the irony. Super's version of 17 has also garnered a lot of cool merch (figures, cards, etc.) in Japan, he's a DLC in Xenoverse 2 and he's even rumored to be a DLC character in FighterZ - which we'll be awesome with how they can use his barrier technique. It just sucks 18 wasn't handled the same way, but this is shonen after all - I guess....

BUT MAN, I CAN'T WAIT FOR CHUCK HUBER AND THE OTHER 17 VA's TO WORK WITH THIS MATERIAL AND SEE HOW FAR THEIR CHARACTER HAS COME IN DEVELOPMENT!!!!

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Android 17: One of the best things to come out of DBS

Post by Kefla » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

[spoiler]I’m sad my boy died, hope he returns later on stronger and faster...[/spoiler]

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm

I remember being annoyed at the amount of spotlight he was getting, but I can't deny he's been in absolute bright spark these last few eps.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:40 pm

I did not expect #17 to be a major character in DBS with the ToP arc. I was amazed how they build up him slowly, in a good pace, giving him personality, depth, desires, intelligence, an amazng sinergy with Goku and 18 to do teamwork... he was the most reliable fighter from the team... I see that he became one really loved character, and it was SMART from Toriyama/Toei to kill #17, because he did many things that impressed us, made us love him, and then they killed him without anyone suspecting that this would happen. This gave this arc a lot of tension.

I hope he gets ressurected. He has 1 kid, two more adopted kids, a wife and an island to take care of.

#17 for me is the BIG STAR of Dragon Ball Super whole anime. He got character development, even more than Vegeta did in the whole DBS (which also was surprising), and i'm glad to have witnessed he shining in this arc.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Baffled that 17's power was below that of Imperfect Cell and now he's gained a massive boost that allows him to damage Jiren. Aside from the BS power level he attained, he's been a great addition. (Still prefer his old black shirt and orange scarf)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm

He had a cool barrier.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:04 pm

He really has made the biggest comeback of any character in the franchise, and in such a short amount of time at that too!

Resurrection of F? SCREW THAT, WE NEED RESURRECTION OF 17!

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 pm

79 other fighters against Jiren and so far only Android 17 was able to deal damage to Jiren. That shows how good Android 17 is
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Copied and pasted from episode 127 thread:

17 has officially been promoted to be one of my favorite characters in Super. I'm on the camp of people who never cared much about 17 (and 18 for that matter as well) back in Z. He was just a random overconfident rebel who had a neat fight with Piccolo but got physically and emotionally smacked hard by Cell until he was absorbed, and nearly got the Launch treatment. GT didn't help at all either. However, enter Super, and he is one of the smartest, most tactical, and most strategical members of U7, with a plethora of useful techniques and general dependability through teamwork, and saved some of his team members like Goku multiple times. I simply adore how fearless he has grown in the face of danger as well. With Piccolo, who he was evenly matched with, he still retained his cocky demeanor, but once the more powerful Cell showed up, he lost his calm and proceeded to throw a tantrum about how he was no longer the strongest android around, but in the ToP, while getting dominated by Toppo and later Jiren, he puts his brains to work and comes up with ideas on how to take care of the situation on the fly, and generally kept his act together more than most other characters so far.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 am

He literally went a 22+ year gap of not having any appearances in Dragonball. After Imperfect Cell absorbed him we never saw him again for the rest of the arc, not even when everyone was revived, and besides a 10 second Buu arc scene, didn't appear at all for the rest of the series. Then he's gone for all of Super till the recruitment ep.

It's actually pretty funny when you stop to realize just how short-lived Android 17's role in DBZ actually was. He was actually barely in the series, and if you remove the filler scenes, even less in the manga.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:25 am

Android 17 wasn't too bad in DBZ but he didn't really have that significant a role as he was just a midway antagonist between the more important Dr. Gero and Cell. He only even had the one major fight and then he was done with.

He was never a favourite of mine. He still probably isn't but they have done a lot more with him now.

Frieza has also been very good in this Tournament.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:26 am

really? i consider 17 to be the worst of super. a ssj1 level tier gets to ss blue level in 10 years. pathetic

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 am

gohan_black wrote:really? i consider 17 to be the worst of super. a ssj1 level tier gets to ss blue level in 10 years. pathetic
Yes, 10 #@!$ing years, thats quite a bit of time to get stronger don't you think?

In less than ten years Gohan went from barely being able to stand up to Raditz with a powerlevel of 1200 roughly, to being able to deck Perfect Cell, who was inconcievably stronger.

Goku went from being weaker than Raditz at the start of Z, to being the strongest man in the universe in 10 years.

Same goes for Vegeta.

10 years is long time to grow stronger.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 am

gohan_black wrote:really? i consider 17 to be the worst of super. a ssj1 level tier gets to ss blue level in 10 years. pathetic
Are you really that influenced by power levels that 17 is the worst thing about Super to you? Also you say 10 years like that isn’t a ridiculously long amount of time.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:40 am

It's shocking how much mileage they manged to get out of such an originally stock and barely present character like #17. Dragon Ball Super has done wonders for his character. Giving him depth, motives, creativity and strategic thinking in combat.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 am

KingKaash wrote:79 other fighters against Jiren and so far only Android 17 was able to deal damage to Jiren. That shows how good Android 17 is

FTFY :D

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:19 pm

DBS gave Mai and 17 some great moments of badassery and emotion. :clap:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:22 pm

I really like Android 17 and was glad when he was part of the tournament. Unfortunately (and I might be in the minority) I don't like the big power up they gave him at all. In my opinion it doesn't make sense how one trains and suddenly becomes blue tier. I actually prefer the manga version of his strength better, when he fought SSJ3 Goku equally. It makes much more sense that his power would reach at least that level, but I don't aprove of him being blue tier so suddenly in the anime, specially since he could've done something against Majin Buu back in the buu arc if his power became that large by the Tournament of Power.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's shocking how much mileage they manged to get out of such an originally stock and barely present character like #17. Dragon Ball Super has done wonders for his character. Giving him depth, motives, creativity and strategic thinking in combat.
Dragon Ball Super has made like #17 for once. I was never a fan from him in Z or GT but Super has changed that for me.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:46 pm

17 was handled perfectly this arc. I never cared about him before, but now he's among my favorite characters and I really want him to keep a prominent role in the future, because his personality and fighting style are just way too entertaining.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical