Hiatus to let the Manga surpass it?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Hiatus to let the Manga surpass it?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Sorry if this theory was already thrown out there, but I was thinking, do you think this hiatus/cancellation is also due to letting the manga surpass it? So that way if it does return, then they have actual material to draw from instead of plot points Toriyama drawn out. What do you guys think?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Hiatus to let the Manga surpass it?

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:37 am

I don't think that if they went on hiatus they did it so that the manga can catch on, so that they base the next anime on it. It wouldn't make sense for something like this to happen if Toriyama will still be the one writing the main outline, because if they decide to completely follow Toyotaro's vision they will have to make a lot of fillers to avoid surpassing him.

A hiatus would serve the purpose of letting the animators and other staff work better on the upcoming movie, as working on Super while working on a movie would have been the perfect recipe for disaster considering how hellish Super's schedule is.
Going off the air for a few months will also be beneficial in planning the next show to ensure it won't have Super's flaws and that it will be able to go on for many years, while surviving potential TV Specials, OVAs and Movies they will want to produce.
In the meanwhile, Toyotaro's manga will probably get ahead if he isn't forced to end it with the ToP too, which means that if DB comes back on TV they could use some of Toyotaro's stuff for the first episodes.

But if Toriyama decides to leave the future of Dragon Ball completely in Toyotaro's hands, then Toei could be forced to base the anime on his manga. I wouldn't like something like this happening because I'm not a huge fan of Toyotaro and I prefer Toei's writers to him, and I fully trust them to deliver big times in terms of story when they have enough time, as Super's bad production most likely also hit the writing staff, not only the animators.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 pm

I really don't think so, nor want it to. I really haven't agreed with most of Toyo's story decisions since the U6 Tournament arc.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:17 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Sorry if this theory was already thrown out there, but I was thinking, do you think this hiatus/cancellation is also due to letting the manga surpass it? So that way if it does return, then they have actual material to draw from instead of plot points Toriyama drawn out. What do you guys think?
I wish that theory to be the reality , I don’t think that was the reason at all, but there’s time to finish top. in the manga after the anime end, and time can change things , and my wish is related with your suggestion , Have manga material that is the base of an anime , like most of the manga anime franchises coming from japan .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....