The new show begins with a retelling of the December Movie

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

The new show begins with a retelling of the December Movie

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:26 pm

It's 2019 a new dragonball show gets announced. they keep tight lipped on what the arc is gonna be, maybe like super they tease an outline of an arc (U6), then the show begins and it's apparent its actually a retelling of the Movie that just aired in December.

Would Toei be devious enough to do this?

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The new show begins with a retelling of the December Movie

Post by Saturnine » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm

I think that armed with the experience of trying this once already and it backfiring, they'll opt for a brief introduction instead this time.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Don't forget, it'll have worse animation

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pm

I hope to god not. The movie is about origins of saiyan powers and I would guess it’s a Yamoshi centric movie and he has zero relevance to the current story so just keep them separate. He’s not Beerus and whis who are central to Dbs which justified a BoG arc

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Toei would probably be, but they already retold two movies and they were mediocre at best. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake for the third time, after all, not only the retellings were inferior, they were also unnecessary. We don't need to be told stories twice (thrice if you count the manga...).

The new series has to bring new content (an awesome and exciting one!) to this franchise, no more retellings, no more villains from the past that don't need to be back, no more transformations to people that clearly don't need any more forms, no more recolors, no more tournaments, no more middle finger to some annoying discrepancies, no more lack of explanation to major stuff. An all-new story, packed with information and dialogues/interactions never seen before!
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:28 pm

There shouldn't be another show. They have nowhere to go after this. Goku has reached ultimate power. Besides, Super wasn't very good and Toriyama is clearing fading with his lazy Mastered UI design.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Kaiosama wrote:There shouldn't be another show. They have nowhere to go after this. Goku has reached ultimate power. Besides, Super wasn't very good and Toriyama is clearing fading with his lazy Mastered UI design.
They would if they focus on the younger kids like Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Pan, Uub, etc. That way power levels won't be too ridiculous either

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 pm

precita wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:There shouldn't be another show. They have nowhere to go after this. Goku has reached ultimate power. Besides, Super wasn't very good and Toriyama is clearing fading with his lazy Mastered UI design.
They would if they focus on the younger kids like Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Pan, Uub, etc. That way power levels won't be too ridiculous either
Unfortunately Toriyama doesn't care about any of the saiyan kids at all now so unless he backs off completely from the next show, i can't see that happening

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 pm

It would probably be best if they just did a GT remake next. Even a lot of people who dislike GT merely dislike it for the way it was made. Make GT Super Edition and retcon the old GT so no one can complain about inconsistencies of the shows not fitting everything together ... and make your new inconsistencies to complain about. Just like Z and Super did.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 pm

I don't think it will as a new show won't be rushed like before as they probably already know when it'll be back so they have more than enough time for pre-production.
Another tournament and a visit to Sadal will probably happen as Sadal has now been brought up for a 4th time (assuming that's not what the movie is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 am

Grimlock wrote:Toei would probably be, but they already retold two movies and they were mediocre at best. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake for the third time, after all, not only the retellings were inferior, they were also unnecessary. We don't need to be told stories twice (thrice if you count the manga...).

The new series has to bring new content (an awesome and exciting one!) to this franchise, no more retellings, no more villains from the past that don't need to be back, no more transformations to people that clearly don't need any more forms, no more recolors, no more tournaments, no more middle finger to some annoying discrepancies, no more lack of explanation to major stuff. An all-new story, packed with information and dialogues/interactions never seen before!
All of this, every bit was stuff we had in z and we know what z has become.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:58 am

I think it really depends. You have to take into consideration that Battle of the Gods and Resurrection F had a major impact on this series. Beerus and the gods of destruction are all over this arc, the other universes mentioned were paid off in this arc, Freeza returned again and is now factoring into the endgame of Super. All of the seeds from those first two arcs led to this. It was kind of important that the films find themselves tied to this show. I think they realized this and also knew they could use this to stall and develop more story in the meantime.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 am

Of course. I'm totally fine with recreating the storyline if good staff are given plenty of time.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:05 am

This is the only point that makes me think that Super, or another DBZ show, won't be coming back on the air. Ever since UI was introduced I kind of wondered how exactly they would handle this form after this arc because it literally is the ultimate transformation in terms of how it works. It really does feel like Goku's "final form".

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:26 am

Asura wrote:
This is the only point that makes me think that Super, or another DBZ show, won't be coming back on the air. Ever since UI was introduced I kind of wondered how exactly they would handle this form after this arc because it literally is the ultimate transformation in terms of how it works. It really does feel like Goku's "final form".
I guess one way they could go about it is keep it to where he can't access at will until a later arc. It also must be difficult to animate with all of the special effects associated with the form. I just don't see what they can do from here.