Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:34 am

I felt pretty much all the big stand out moments in the episodes lacked impact, making it feel very underwhelming on whole.

I'm fine with the Vegeta scene, but I feel like it was heavily diminshed because they've been going on about it and bringing it up so much. Its still an OK moment, but they should have really saved it for this final scene.

Goku and Jirens interactions were fun, but I'm not completely sold on Goku learning the power of trust and I feel like that point would have been better made if people from other universes, such as Caulifla Kale and Hit, cheered him on instead of just the universe 7 team.

I'm really excited for next week, the direction looks like its going to be fantastic, and it looks like the scale of the fight is going to be at forefront of the battle.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
amuroray wrote:
Inconsistency's mate. A tiny bit of energy from a depleted Vegeta turned goku ssjb. Dont expect anything from this show especially a good farewell to a character.

I'm legitimately surprised at how bad this show is.
One tiny inconsistency doesn't make the whole show bad nor did it make this episode bad.

Every where else people are loving the episode.

I truly wonder whats going on. Has there even been an episode that was universally liked on this forum?

I dont get how these people who appearently hate Super so much, still post about it, and still watch it. No one is forcing you to watch. Why spend so much energy on negativity? Being positive will make you a better person too. Just stop watching Super if you hate it so much
Wow, did you interview every single person who watched the episode? Impressive.

Criticism is a crucial aspect in the entertainment industry, otherwise garbage like this episode would be the standard for entertainment. It's what keeps entertainers on their toes and promotes quality. Your argument of "if you hate it so much why do you watch it" is a tired and overused response to what's usually valid criticism.

You have the right to your opinion, but so do others, and I don't think anyone else is chiding you for liking the episode as you are chiding us for not liking it.
Why would I need to interview people to go on twitter, read dbz reddit, or youtube comments and see that the overwhelming majority comments have been positive?

See, this is why some of the fandom is so toxic.

You saying the episode was "garbage" doesnt mean it was factually garbage. Thats just your subjective opinion

A lot of people did love the episode. Are you saying that they are wrong? Are you saying they dont know any better?

You claiming its all just about being critical, yet you just out right call it garbage

I talked about this the other day. And this goes in general, the cricitism card doenst excuse or justify out right hate

Tell me again, how "its garbage" is just being "critical"

And part of being critical is about recongizing the good that was there

Its like, its ok to attack positive opinions, claim they are the ones who are wrong, nit pick and all....but the other side cant handle having their negative opinions challenged. ALL opinions can be challenged. Its a diccussion board

People have every right to be positive TOO. People have every right to love Super episodes. That doesnt make them wrong.

We should all be able to discuss critically and respectfully.....but sadly, its just one side dominating all the conversation amd asserting their opinions as objective truths and facts "its garbage. super is garbage. Anyone who likes it is wrong"

You have your right to hate it. In fact, good for you. Thats your right. But please understand that people can like it as well, and that people can challenge negative opinions in the same way positive opinions are always challenged
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 am

I've enjoyed Super through its ups and downs, but this is easily the most boring episode I've ever had to sit through. There were so many beats that were just... nothing. It doesn't help that it was just for Ultra Instinct Goku to pop up. Really wish Goku had been using it since God of Destruction Toppo came up, so that these Jiren episodes wouldn't have to feel like "Alright Ultra Instinct, come pop up so that the fake tension can stop being fake." Even these Vegeta moments were... just a whole bunch of nothing. He's been spamming Final Flash so that the last attack just felt like nothing. It was another Final Flash.

Overall, poor episode. Nice that next episode looks neat, but with a Tournament that opened up potential for 80 great opportunities, even if obviously they all can't be fleshed out, I shouldn't have to anticipate only 2 real characters that matter. That's really no fun.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:45 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote: One tiny inconsistency doesn't make the whole show bad nor did it make this episode bad.

Every where else people are loving the episode.

I truly wonder whats going on. Has there even been an episode that was universally liked on this forum?

I dont get how these people who appearently hate Super so much, still post about it, and still watch it. No one is forcing you to watch. Why spend so much energy on negativity? Being positive will make you a better person too. Just stop watching Super if you hate it so much
Wow, did you interview every single person who watched the episode? Impressive.

Criticism is a crucial aspect in the entertainment industry, otherwise garbage like this episode would be the standard for entertainment. It's what keeps entertainers on their toes and promotes quality. Your argument of "if you hate it so much why do you watch it" is a tired and overused response to what's usually valid criticism.

You have the right to your opinion, but so do others, and I don't think anyone else is chiding you for liking the episode as you are chiding us for not liking it.
Why would I need to interview people to go on twitter, read dbz reddit, or youtube comments and see that the overwhelming majority comments have been positive?

See, this is why some of the fandom is so toxic.

You saying the episode was "garbage" doesnt mean it was factually garbage. Thats just your subjective opinion

A lot of people did love the episode. Are you saying that they are wrong? Are you saying they dont know any better?

You claiming its all just about being critical, yet you just out right call it garbage

I talked about this the other day. And this goes in general, the cricitism card doenst excuse or justify out right hate

Tell me again, how "its garbage" is just being "critical"

And part of being critical is about recongizing the good that was there

Its like, its ok to attack positive opinions, claim they are the ones who are wrong, nit pick and all....but the other side cant handle having their negative opinions challenged. ALL opinions can be challenged. Its a diccussion board

People have every right to be positive TOO. People have every right to love Super episodes. That doesnt make them wrong.

We should all be able to discuss critically and respectfully.....but sadly, its just one side dominating all the conversation amd asserting their opinions as objective truths and facts "its garbage. super is garbage. Anyone who likes it is wrong"

You have your right to hate it. Understand that people an like it as well, and that people can challemge negative opinions in the same way positive opinions are always challenged
This entire post is just one big ad populum fallacy.

I'm not criticizing your opinion, I'm criticizing you for attacking people who don't like it. It's as if you're taking it personally that people have a negative opinion of this episode.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:45 am

As a Vegeta fan, no way this was a "Cool vegeta episode". The Cabba Bulma thing has been beaten to death even before this episode. hence the First half dragged on. 126 would have been a perfect sendoff for Vegeta. Dying while taking out Hakaishin Toppo.

The first half dragged a lot. The Goku half was really nice

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Every where else people are loving the episode.

You do realize you are the only one acting like this ? You are acting exactly like the behavior you're describing. You haven't said very many actual arguments you're just saying people are wrong and you are right. When presented with actual arguments the best you can come up with is everybody loves it except this forum. You've posted the most of anyone here and contributed the least.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:54 am

This was a decent episode. Much better than 126 and 127, that's for sure. The episode as whole did drag on a bit, but it was fine and I was invested. The writing was good enough that I was enjoying it despite it being a bit boring. I really liked Vegeta calling Jiren an emotionless bastard, such a fitting description.

I don't know what people's problems with the Ultra Instinct scene are, I thought it was handled quite well with the new music and Goku thinking of everyone counting on him. I mean, he still didn't mention jack shit about his universe, but at least he realizes people are counting on him. In my opinion it was much better than the transformation that occurred with Kefla. Next episode looks insane, finally we're getting the top quality animation that we were all waiting for on the finale.

Although one major thing I dislike is the white hair. I really like how Ultra Instinct looks as it is now, I don't think the white hair is necessary, and all I can think of are Gohan Blanco memes.
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Every where else people are loving the episode.

You act like this in every single discussion thread, where you hypocritically point out that other people can't accept the opinions of others, while you hate on anybody who dislikes the episode. Chill out, dude.

Also, please learn to use paragraphs

It's really quite hard to read

When you type like this.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:54 am

Okay episode, I guess. The bit with Vegeta was very touching, but I still can't get over how disappointing Jiren is. It's basically been cemented in that the core of Jiren's identity is that he disbelieves in the idea of trust. Yawn! As shallow and one-dimensional as Jiren has been this whole arc, there was still always a lot of potential simply because we knew next to nothing.There were countless directions they could have gone with him. But now that they've actually gone with a particular direction, it's a boring one.

It was also the last thing I expected. Jiren is someone with trust issues? Really? I was hoping for him to be the strictly heroic and righteous type (like Superman) mixed in with stoism. It would have made the whole arc interesting, because it would have been two good (likeable) guys who are forced to fighting each other. I know Jiren is still technically a good guy, but I think the writers are deliberately making him unlikable/antagonistic so it's easier for us to root for Goku.

I would have prefered the opposite. I would have prefered them making it difficult for us to root for. As in between Goku, the guy we all grow up watching and made our childhood vs. a guy who could have been someone fighting for a righteous cause but is also morally conflicted in not wanting to eliminate opponents he knew would be at risk of being erased. What they did with Obuni vs Gohan is what should be happening with Jiren vs Goku. There's so much depth that could have come from this. Talk about wasted potential.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 am

lord turbo wrote:
amuroray wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:What was the purpose of this episode? What was its usefulness in the plot?

Goku awaken the UI? Well, he could do it on EP 129 himself.

Half of the EP was Vegeta being beaten in base form. Jiren could have defeated him with a punch.

The flashbacks were not as motivational as they should be. This whole story of promise should have propelled him far more than what was shown.
It could just happen to the same thing that happened against Toppo.
Beerus did not tell Vegeta anything he had not said to all the U7 warriors.

Vegeta had a good participation in the tournament, but a pathetic and disappointing farewell
Inconsistency's mate. A tiny bit of energy from a depleted Vegeta turned goku ssjb. Dont expect anything from this show especially a good farewell to a character.

Super is the new GT, excellent ideas run through the mud by awful execution. I'm really curious (more like trainwreck curious) to see how they wrap everything up.
actaully, super is the opposite. It has awful ideas with good execution or are you really going to sit there and tell me Goku Black was a good idea.

The problem with the tournament is not execution, the problem is structure. Episodes feel episodic and this hurts the ones that needed build up or pay offs.

This episode would have been great had we not gotten 5 episodes with vegeta, the fake out and of course the direction . All of which is not Toshiro's fault.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 am

Yeah, having like 4 or 5 fucking episodes dedicated to Vegeta in like a 6 episode span is just absurd and has really kinda put a bad taste on the finale thus far. What's even worse about all this Vegeta attention is it's so sudden. Vegeta literally had no build up or even that much involvement in this entire arc, and then all of a sudden he's basically become the main character for the past 6 episodes while being given a new transformation only unique to him.

It's like they forgot to actually do anything with Vegeta during the arc and now they're trying to make up for lost time by giving him way too much spotlight in the finale. It's not really even good spotlight either. He's repeated the same speech and hit the same notes at least 3 times now, and I know for a fact he's already mentioned "muh bulma" and "muh cabba" three times. Once during his Royal asspull transformation, again at his sacrifice fake out, and now in this episode too.

Vegeta's been written so horribly this arc. Probably the worst writing he's ever received in the franchise. Still, the writing for how he went out in this episode was good, but it's a bit soured on since like I said, he's already said all this shit three times.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:24 am

Asura wrote:Yeah, having like 4 or 5 fucking episodes dedicated to Vegeta in like a 6 episode span is just absurd and has really kinda put a bad taste on the finale thus far. What's even worse about all this Vegeta attention is it's so sudden. Vegeta literally had no build up or even that much involvement in this entire arc, and then all of a sudden he's basically become the main character for the past 6 episodes while being given a new transformation only unique to him.

It's like they forgot to actually do anything with Vegeta during the arc and now they're trying to make up for lost time by giving him way too much spotlight in the finale. It's not really even good spotlight either. He's repeated the same speech and hit the same notes at least 3 times now, and I know for a fact he's already mentioned "muh bulma" and "muh cabba" three times. Once during his Royal asspull transformation, again at his sacrifice fake out, and now in this episode too.

Vegeta's been written so horribly this arc. Probably the worst writing he's ever received in the franchise. Still, the writing for how he went out in this episode was good, but it's a bit soured on since like I said, he's already said all this shit three times.
I mean, it's only fair since Goku's gotten asspull after asspull to this point :P

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:30 am

lord turbo wrote:
amuroray wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:What was the purpose of this episode? What was its usefulness in the plot?

Goku awaken the UI? Well, he could do it on EP 129 himself.

Half of the EP was Vegeta being beaten in base form. Jiren could have defeated him with a punch.

The flashbacks were not as motivational as they should be. This whole story of promise should have propelled him far more than what was shown.
It could just happen to the same thing that happened against Toppo.
Beerus did not tell Vegeta anything he had not said to all the U7 warriors.

Vegeta had a good participation in the tournament, but a pathetic and disappointing farewell

Super is the new GT, excellent ideas run through the mud by awful execution. I'm really curious (more like trainwreck curious) to see how they wrap everything up.
Really? I think the Goku Black arc was an awesome idea with terrible execution, but every other arc has been an abundance of terrible ideas, besides the concept of a multiverse tournament in general, which I personally clamored for back when BoG was first released.

If anything, what's kept me watching the ToP arc is the execution. There are a lot of cool moments, despite the terrible writing and inconsistencies.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:30 am

Torturephile wrote:Lame.

-The Vegeta half was a complete waste of time. Vegeta could have been eliminated within a single minute of episode time (not ToP time) since nothing of interest was presented. We didn't need to be reminded once again that he was fighting for his family and Princess Cabba, and even if Vegeta's beatdowns are always a highlight for me, this one wasn't. It was simply boring.
rewatching it, i can actually agree with this and see this point of view

I wouldve loved to see Vegeta eliminated MUCH earlier so we couldve gotten more screen time of Omen Goku vs Jiren

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 am

Asura wrote:Yeah, having like 4 or 5 fucking episodes dedicated to Vegeta in like a 6 episode span is just absurd and has really kinda put a bad taste on the finale thus far. What's even worse about all this Vegeta attention is it's so sudden. Vegeta literally had no build up or even that much involvement in this entire arc, and then all of a sudden he's basically become the main character for the past 6 episodes while being given a new transformation only unique to him.

I also COMPLETELY AGREE with this as well.

The bias for Vegeta was insanely annoying.

Really happy Vegeta finally got eliminated, but it took way too long

My favorite battles of the tournament will always be

Goku/Omen Goku vs Caulifla/Kale/Kefla

Gohan & Piccolo vs U6 Namekians

Team U7 vs Aniraza

Omen Goku vs Jiren.

And I'm sure the most epic one of them all is coming soon; ) Mastered UI Goku vs full power Jiren
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 am

Wow, this episode was filled with absolutely nothing. No impact in anything it showed whatsoever. What a horribly lackluster way to off Vegeta, and start the finale. As expected, the animation showed off in the preview looks damn good. So while it's gonna suck that they're going to ruin a cool looking form for what I perceive as a downgrade, I am at the very least looking forward to a well animated and choreographed fight.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:46 am

This episode was really bad :thumbdown: :wtf:

How could they underwhelm so badly this late in the game. Shouldn't all these episodes be on point by now.

Vegetas ending wasn't meaningful, in fact it was the same exact thing we've always seen out of vegeta..but worse. How is that possible?.

Jiren has no personality if this is who he is.. then no thanks. Keep him. Move on to the chapter of the story asap. A long delay after this..ouch :eh:

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 am

I wish they would have given Jiren the character trait of wanting to fight strong guys too, because as it is now it doesn't really make any sense why he keeps going easy on Goku & Vegeta and not knocking them out when he's had a million opportunities to do so.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:58 am

Too much time was spent on Vegeta these last 5 or 6 episodes. Especially after having little to no build-up before 122. Now the ending feels rushed. We should have had more time dedicated to UI Goku since this arc is his moment. All of this Vegeta wanking and Toei even managed to botch that by giving him a pathetic send off.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:02 am

For people who were disappointed in Vegeta's elimination, what would you have done different specifically for this episode? Like, if you can't change any of the events in the previous episodes but could rewrite this entire episode, how would you have Vegeta go out?

I'm curious because I personally don't see what else they really could have done with him in this episode. Obviously given the chance I'd have rewritten every episode after 122 in terms of Vegeta, but unfortunately we've gotta live with that.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 am

Asura wrote:I wish they would have given Jiren the character trait of wanting to fight strong guys too, because as it is now it doesn't really make any sense why he keeps going easy on Goku & Vegeta and not knocking them out when he's had a million opportunities to do so.
I know it doesn't make sense and this will come across as head cannon, but I think Jiren wanted to see how strong they would become before eliminating them. I mean in his mind he was going to win this whole time, so it doesn't matter when he eliminated them if he got to play with them for a little bit. Much like Frieza and Cell, this will be his downfall.