Has Yamamuro Saved Ultra Instinct?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yomi
Regular

Has Yamamuro Saved Ultra Instinct?

Post by Yomi » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 pm

In a Battle of Gods interview, it was stated that Yamamuro had presented a design for Super Saiyan God that was well built, had longer wilder hair, and a cape. It was scrapped when Toriyama presented his own design.

In my opinion, it seems as if this has happened again in this arc, Toriyama's design is a white version of Super Saiyan God, and Yamamuro's version is well built, has wilder hair and another change of wardrobe.

If it really was Yamamuro who.created the Omen form, my opinion of him would change drastically towards the positive.
:clap:

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: Has Yamamuro Saved Ultra Instinct?

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Everybody apologize to Yammy. Seriously though that SSG recolor from toriyama is total shit and Yam came through

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:28 pm

About the body proportions it's hard to say, considering Toriyama draws everyone skinny nowadays.
I'm just glad Toriyama didn't force them to make Goku look skinny like he did with SSG (which is something they have been ignoring in this arc), despite his design being a SSG recolor.

Anyway, Yamamuro's version all the way just like everything else since BOG Movie.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 am

No reason anyone should "apologize" to Yammy, unless you're one of those degenerates who said he should kill himself on Twitter or mocked him via Shida's twitter. Whether people like it or not, he IS iconic to DB and while he definitely has room for improvement, he's gotten better imo. Considering he does so much for this series including endings, promo, Heroes art/animation etc, I found his presence in these latest episodes quite refreshing. While many many many people still think his designs aren't good compared to Z, I'm glad he changed up Toriyama's because it was def needed and i like his more (regarding UI Goku). Will continue to criticize him where it's needed/warranted but it's also appropriate we commend him when it's deserved also.

-Cheers!

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 am

So wait, Toriyama designed the white haired Ultra Instinct that we see in the NEP, and Yamamuro designed the Ultra Instinct we've seen since 110? Is there even a source for this? If that's the case, then yes, Yamamuro absolutely did a great job on Ultra Instinct, as I really, really dislike that white form so far just based off of what I saw in the NEP, and the current Ultra Instinct design is awesome.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 am

Asura wrote:So wait, Toriyama designed the white haired Ultra Instinct that we see in the NEP, and Yamamuro designed the Ultra Instinct we've seen since 110? Is there even a source for this? If that's the case, then yes, Yamamuro absolutely did a great job on Ultra Instinct, as I really, really dislike that white form so far just based off of what I saw in the NEP, and the current Ultra Instinct design is awesome.
Nah, OP was just assuming that he was the one who designed UI. But I think what actually happened was Toriyama wanted to use his 'white-haired form' after all this time and they decided to throw it on a 'Omen' version to soothe him.
Feels over Reals.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 am

RedHeat wrote:
Asura wrote:So wait, Toriyama designed the white haired Ultra Instinct that we see in the NEP, and Yamamuro designed the Ultra Instinct we've seen since 110? Is there even a source for this? If that's the case, then yes, Yamamuro absolutely did a great job on Ultra Instinct, as I really, really dislike that white form so far just based off of what I saw in the NEP, and the current Ultra Instinct design is awesome.
Nah, OP was just assuming that he was the one who designed UI. But I think what actually happened was Toriyama wanted to use his 'white-haired form' after all this time and they decided to throw it on a 'Omen' version to soothe him.
Oh, I see. So we're talking about this picture then? Yeah, that Goku looks horrible. Literally a recolored form of a recolored form. Almost as redundant as "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan". I still don't like the white hair on Yamamuro's version, but I guess it's more of a silver than white. I guess I could probably get used to it, but the "Omen" form still looks way better than both of these.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 am

Yamamuro's UI Omen may be more visually interesting, but his general character design and art style still makes everyone look like a bunch of bloated, glossy, greased up, plastic dolls, more often than not.

I'll apologize when he improves or gets replaced.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:34 am

I really wanna see what the Mastered UI looks like in the show, but as of now I'm not really sold. I like the idea of it being more of an accent to base form rather than a new form entirely. The NEP for 129 makes it look really awesome, but it's gonna be a wait and see

I absolutely love UI Omen though. That form has been a treat.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:38 am

I feel there are some misunderstandings going on

Yamamuro wasnt responsible for Omen (that I'm aware of)

What I'm pretty sure OP is talking about is the scans from V jump

Vjump had scans of UI MASTERED GOKU. with drawings of UI mastered Goku by both Toriyama and Yamamuro

Toriyama's drawing of Mastered UI Goku was honestly pretty bad.

Yamamuro's rendition of Mastered UI Goku is really good.

The OP is stating that Yamanuro saved mastered UI Goku

I agree
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 am

Apparently I am in the minority on this website, but I absolutely adore Toriyama's version of Mastered UI Goku. I, personally, like it better than Yamamuro's.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:01 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
The OP is stating that Yamanuro saved mastered UI Goku

I agree

Correct, still just an opinion though.
:clap:

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:30 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Apparently I am in the minority on this website, but I absolutely adore Toriyama's version of Mastered UI Goku. I, personally, like it better than Yamamuro's.
I agree.
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 am

Yamamuro. I apologize for everything I said. I watched some Youtube video bashing his work and jumped on the train. He's the reason Super's been passable. If they stuck with Toriyama's original designs the show would've been a complete embarrassment

Toriyama needs to retire. He no longer has any passion for his work. Tracing drawings but changing the hair color for these "new" transformations is the definition of laziness

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Apparently I am in the minority on this website, but I absolutely adore Toriyama's version of Mastered UI Goku. I, personally, like it better than Yamamuro's.
Toriyama's version of mastered UI Goku is Super Saiyan God with white colored hair which in turn is a tracing of base Goku with red hair. Yes you're in the minority. Recoloring old designs and calling them new is lazy

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:18 am

Timetraveller wrote:Yamamuro. I apologize for everything I said. I watched some Youtube video bashing his work and jumped on the train. He's the reason Super's been passable. If they stuck with Toriyama's original designs the show would've been a complete embarrassment

Toriyama needs to retire. He no longer has any passion for his work. Tracing drawings but changing the hair color for these "new" transformations is the definition of laziness
What did they bash him for?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Short answer: duh.

Long answer: duh and he also further proved how weak and unfitting SSG design always been. Toriyama is still at his A game with most of the new character designs (angels, gods etc) but his neo-Saiyan retcon designs and transformations suck badly.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Timetraveller wrote:
Toriyama's version of mastered UI Goku is Super Saiyan God with white colored hair which in turn is a tracing of base Goku with red hair. Yes you're in the minority. Recoloring old designs and calling them new is lazy
Hahaha, okay, ease up a little bit. I don't necessarily appreciate or need people rehashing what I already said.

I just happen to like Toriyama's version better, but perhaps it is just the pictures I have seen of Yammamuro's version.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Yeah, the design was certainly saved by him, but his art style still isn't good by any standard. While the hair shape is certainly a more than welcomed change, he still draws it like lego. You can tell the difference with how good Omen looked in the show, while his illustrations weren't the best. Even the great one that came with the reveal of Omen in V-Jump months back looks pretty bad when compared to the one in Dokkan Battle.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Well, Yamamuro certainly made Ultra Instinct more distinct, I'll give him that.